"The Provost"

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Mercer Skye
Initiate

Re: "The Provost"

Post by Mercer Skye » June 18th, 2019, 5:27 pm

I hate to necro a years old thread, so I apologize up front, but as it took me a long time to finally complete this game, I'd like to add something I'm not sure is 100% correct, but am pretty sure is darn close.

The text on the sign leading to the Provost's alcove (My latin is super rusty, but if I remember correctly, Provost wasn't just a general term for teacher, it's the word we'd eventually evolve into philosopher, so specifically a teacher of thinking)

One of the biggest problems with translating Latin into any of it's 'children' languages (Of which English is probably the most bastardized), is that it literally just translates poorly. They had rules (Which were adhered to more or less as strictly as in English), but with so many words that had multiple meanings, a lot 'make sense' especially if other words are taken the wrong way.

All my blabbing aside, the text is a warning about Corruption. More specifically, a warning that entering the darkness to fight corruption, you must respect it, at risk of your survival, or become it. Less cryptically: If you stare long enough into the abyss, eventually the abyss stares back.

It's a warning to not become the monsters you fight. (My take on it anyway)

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: "The Provost"

Post by Zombra » June 18th, 2019, 5:34 pm

I for one am delighted to see thoughts and discussion about this weird character continue years later. :)