About cutscenes, and how you can help

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

vadrick
Acolyte

Re: About cutscenes, and how you can help

Post by vadrick » May 13th, 2013, 10:14 pm

Son of Max wrote:...snip good stuff...

The Army Engineers in the desert, building their transport bridges
The outbreak of the war
The engineers taking over the prison
The expulsion of the prisoners
The eventual congregation of engineers and nearby survivalists to form some sort of council
The council establishing the prison as Ranger Center and the formation of The Desert Rangers as an organization
Early Ranger battles with outlaws, bandits and a still of Ranger Center repulsing an attack by the expelled criminals 'seeking to reclaim what was 'rightfully theirs'.
Rangers establishing first contacts with Highpool, The Rail Nomads and The Ag Station
A group of Rangers (and a few distinguished NPC's from the original) in the course of several tasks/missions from the original
A brief explanation of The Guardians of The Old Order and their citadel
The Rangers (and NPCs) assault on The Guardian Citadel and the defeat of The Guardians
Base Cochise and it's destruction
Perhaps a little on 'The Aftermath'; the period after Cochise was destroyed and the effects the course of events in the first game have had on the 'known world' of the Desert Rangers: Highpool, Ag Station, Nomads, The Mine, Savage Village, Quartz, Needles, Vegas, Darwin, Sleeper 1, The Guardian Citadel and how things have changed (for better or for worse) in those places
The present day state of The Rangers and the little patch of earth they call home and those strange radio signals and transmissions hinted at by the narrator in the game play preview and Ranger Command's reaction to it
So these are all great scenes. Why not just open it up for people to film and submit their own versions of these?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 13th, 2013, 10:24 pm

vadrick wrote:So these are all great scenes. Why not just open it up for people to film and submit their own versions of these?
Quality control and consistency, I'd think.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » May 13th, 2013, 11:12 pm

I know it's great and all to keep asking the fans what they think, but come on at the end of the day they're the designers, not us.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Damoriel
Novice

Post by Damoriel » May 13th, 2013, 11:26 pm

Crosmando wrote:I know it's great and all to keep asking the fans what they think, but come on at the end of the day they're the designers, not us.
True. But they're not obligated to use anything we suggested directly. There's the chance that someone in the forum's idea could launch a dev onto a creative tangent that ends with something that does get used. That possibility makes discussion worthwhile.

john irwin finster
Acolyte

Post by john irwin finster » May 14th, 2013, 12:14 am

I know this isn't Fallout - and more than anyone, I don't want it to be - but the opening/trailer sequences in Fallout are mindblowing. I would look to them for inspiration.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » May 14th, 2013, 12:22 am

Drool wrote:
Edit: depending on the length of time being spent in each location, the mid-game cut scene would probably make the most sense for the transition from Nevada to California.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. We will probably get a chopper ride (which was an option for a piece of Andree Wallin concept art IIRC, and mentioned by Brian himself during the Kickstarter) and possibly a view of the upcoming the Californian landscape. It would be an awesome way to show off the dense greenery that we have seen in some of the concept art, assuming that is what parts of California will look like, of course.

I have a strong urge to scream Long Tall Sally during the chopper ride (damn you Blood Dragon!) but I know that would be awful...or would it? :P
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 14th, 2013, 1:08 am

Crazy idea:

Tell the opening history from several different perspectives!

Just like in the "radio opening" of the February video, only with quicker cuts. Start in the Ranger Center, maybe with Vargas telling his children about Ranger history. Just a sentence or two, a paragraph at most. Cut to the Scorpion compound, with one soldier whispering a question about the Rangers to his friend. Cut to a Mushroom Church service, where the holocaust is described. Cut to Vegas, where some high rollers talk about how manipulating the Rangers back in the day gave them an angle. Cut to a group of Night Screamers, silently running out of a tree line into the open desert. Cut to the new Guardian stronghold, and have them mention the battle with the Rangers 20 years ago. Cut to the Ag Center, with Lawson complaining to Forrestal about something. Cut to a shack somewhere, with an old man babbling to his pet lizard with no apparent context. Cut to the Synth compound, and have them talk to each other for a few seconds. Cut back to Vargas. Cut to the Church. Cut to the old man. Cut to Vegas; the gamblers are laughing. Cut to the Scorpions. Cut to the Synths. Cut to Lawson. Cut to the Screamers, shrieking their attack cry as they charge the camera. Cut to the Guardians with an ominous last word. Cut back to Vargas to wrap things up.

Sprinkle all the necessary historical information between these different shots, and add in a few tidbits of conflicting information, along with one or two pieces of total nonsense.

WHY DO THIS?:
* A big part of Wasteland was meeting lots of strange people and factions. Show us some of the range of W2's weirdness up front. When a friend who's never heard of W2 watches me boot up the intro, I want her to flip out and want to play it too. I think an intro like this would also make a fantastic promotional trailer.
* The "one guy with a booming voice talking grimly for 3 minutes" ... been done. Wrong franchise.
* Showing diverse points of view at the start ties in to choice, consequence, and reactivity.
* Foreshadowing is cool. A quick look inside New Guardian Citadel (or whatever) will get us excited to go there without really spoiling anything.
* Contradictory and conflicting information calls back to the paragraph book.
* The whole idea is an over the top approach, goofy, colorful ... sensational. Wasteland.
Last edited by Zombra on May 15th, 2013, 9:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » May 14th, 2013, 1:29 am

Zombra wrote:Stuff
Works even better with my pastiche dream. Love it. But it probably wouldn't be done that way :lol: .
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

Wile
Adventurer

Post by Wile » May 14th, 2013, 2:03 am

Maybe something like what Threads did? Pictures could be animated motion comic stuff (for example), and text appears either between cuts, or directly above images, or under, or top or where ever they want...

OT:
In other news, I see shitstorm brewing up. Anyone read Facebook comments? There are still some delusional people, who think this will be sequel to Fallout... Not that I really give two shits about their delusions and how they will be disappointed, but... I just care about what kind of shitstorm will rise, when these poor "scammed" individuals notice this wasn't Fallout. Remember that fuzi0n debacle? I just think this is something, that InXile needs to address before things get crazy.

Yuri
Explorer

Post by Yuri » May 14th, 2013, 4:05 am

Zombra wrote:Crazy idea:
Like it very much, actually.

Shadowbreak
Initiate

Post by Shadowbreak » May 14th, 2013, 4:55 am

How about an intro in the style of Homeworld but in colour? I find these type of intros to be the most memorable....
Homeworld 2 intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPxLqlDmJ8c

This would be a boon to the devs as they can capture the tone and atmosphere of Wasteland through the great concept art that they have.

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » May 14th, 2013, 5:13 am

That's pretty comparable to the animatics I spoke off. Animatics are essentially animated storyboards used to visualise the direction in animated films, but they make for very good motion comics, too.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 14th, 2013, 5:45 am

Zombra wrote:<SNIP>
I can dig it.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Lazaroth
Initiate

Post by Lazaroth » May 14th, 2013, 6:42 am

Shadowbreak wrote:How about an intro in the style of Homeworld
That was my first thought.

Shadowbreak
Initiate

Post by Shadowbreak » May 14th, 2013, 8:07 am

TΛPETRVE wrote:That's pretty comparable to the animatics I spoke off. Animatics are essentially animated storyboards used to visualise the direction in animated films, but they make for very good motion comics, too.
Just wondering but would animatics like homeworld work for mid-game cutscenes? I think the closest I can think of are Relic's Company of Heroes's personal diary narration... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73lkNiLnIwE&t=0m34s

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 14th, 2013, 9:18 am

As far as art style goes, I'd like to see it as "realistic" ... by which I DON'T mean photorealistic, but rather consistent with the game engine. So ... realistic to a character from the game. :)

No live footage, no special cutscene engine, nothing like that. Visuals staged in Unity, with "sets" built the same way as actual game levels ... though the camera work can be different, and visual filters can be added if you want to do "scrapbook" or "VCR recording" type effects.

Why? Because you can never start too early with consistency of style, and because the Wasteland 1 intro graphics looked the same as the game art, so I'd like the sequel to do the same.

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » May 14th, 2013, 10:03 am

Nah. One should never, ever use technical limits as an excuse for stylistic compromise. Use anything that goes in unison with the in-game graphics, no matter what. Anything else is just a sign of creative incompetence.

sparkee666
Adventurer

Post by sparkee666 » May 14th, 2013, 11:18 am

The animatics for Hardware: shipbreakers is cool, If there is a decision to do Animations I would like something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDhSzuWdKgU.

Helz
Novice

Post by Helz » May 14th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Coming in on the other side of the spectrum, but how about some "Heavy Metal" style, semi-realistic, yet over-the-top '80s cartoon violence. Electric guitar riffs and badass exploding heads a la Fist of the North Star :lol:

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 14th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Helz wrote:Coming in on the other side of the spectrum, but how about some "Heavy Metal" style, semi-realistic, yet over-the-top '80s cartoon violence. Electric guitar riffs and badass exploding heads a la Fist of the North Star :lol:
I'm down!