Tentative Wasteland 2 logo. Thoughts?

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.
Brother None
Developer
badge image for 4o80c0.png

We are narrowing in on a Wasteland logo for the game and of course things like shirts. We are gravitating towards this one in how it represents the damaged earth and the use of the ranger star. The color will change based upon the usage requirements IE color of a shirt. Thoughts?
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer
TΛPETRVE
Master

Honestly, I think it looks incredibly cheap and amateurish.
This brotoflatron requires a strul!
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Bloody work filter preventing me from seeing it :x
It's not too late. Make it Eight!
Infinitron
Adventurer
badge image for 5p2s6t.png
badge image for 3rz1is.png
badge image for ijw2ib.png
badge image for wl3badge.png

The crooked orientation of the letters reminds one of some kind of physics-based casual game where you break things.

I say keep the cracked grey letters, but straighten them out.

The Ranger star should also probably be a bit more visible.
Sharkey
Acolyte

Not a fan overall:

I like the idea of the cracked letters, maybe look into the "crackhouse" font to try.
Don't like the wobbly lettering.
The red 2 is rather garish to me.
The Star is too faint.

I rather like the logo we have at the top of this forum, that seems like a better place to start with the official logo. Maybe add some cracks into the lettering, put the star emblem behind the 2 in the circle, and add dark GREEN coloring to better match the amazing boxart instead of orange/red, which just seems to generic nowadays.

Honestly, I think the logo was nailed best by the boxart:
Lucius
Master

TΛPETRVE wrote:Honestly, I think it looks incredibly cheap and amateurish.
I wouldn't say cheap and amateurish but it definitely didn't make me think of a hardcore RPG in a post nuclear world. More like a B title movie. Ok maybe I would say cheap.
Infinitron
Adventurer
badge image for wl3badge.png

Grave
Scholar

It doesn't "feel" like Wasteland to me. Honestly, if you just used the original Wasteland font and slapped a "2" or "II" at the end of it, that would be sufficient. Sort of like the concept box art (as Sharkey posted above).

Or maybe something like this... a little bit of Old West meets industrial cyberpunk/post apocalypse:

http://vgboxart.com/boxes/PC/44524-wast ... d-full.jpg
"One thing about the desert: anything goes. It's just one big lawless sandbox. Do anything you want, but just don't get yourself killed. That tends to shorten your life span incredibly. Good luck, and may your Uzi never jam."
SniperHF
Adventurer

Preface this with I don't really care what the logo is :lol:

I don't really like the different heights for the letters. The colors are fine, maybe a darker red for the number 2.
Kinda prefer the torn up forum Wasteland 2 style on the header. Like the Desert Ranger badge behind the 2, might bring that forward a bit more though, instead of just being a shadowy badge.
Sensuki
Scholar

Agreed that it looks silly (too modern as well).

To be honest I was happy with the one on the main page of this website.
McDougle
Adventurer

Interesting.
I actually like the modern look of this logo. Though it could use bleaker colors(less saturation) & i guess it wouldn´t hurt to straighten those letters a bit(keep those wicked cracks though :P ).
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)
Zombra
Global Moderator

Herm. I'd be much more inclined to buy a shirt with the forum logo.

I really don't like the font on the new one. WAY too generic.
I'd prefer something more
Cowboy-y
Corroded
Old school computer-y (OCR-A)
Distressed
Rough
etc.
Not all of those, just brainstorming.

I'm also not turned on by the different letter sizes. Maybe the intention is to make it seem a little goofy, but it looks more sloppy than goofy.

The "earthquake" theme gives the letters a nice distressed effect, but the Wasteland world isn't about earthquakes ... (is it?)

And just a personal nitpick - I don't like logos without a space between the "words" ...
WASTELAND 2
not
WASTELAND2
plz kthx
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Heh Forgot I could use my phone to View it :lol:

Yeah not a big fan. I'm with those who prefer the teaser and forum versions.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!
Inca
Explorer

Sorry, don't like it. Word that comes to mind: "uninspired".
Good..Bad..I am the Guy with a Gun!
Ronin73
Master

I like the cracked letters (indicates decay to me rather than an earthquake) but the letters themselves look a little bland. I'm no artist, but maybe try and add some color to the letters (similar to the one at the top of the forum page perhaps?) or maybe tangle some vines around the letters, to illustrate nature trying to take the world over, which is a common theme in the concept art? Just spitballing a few things here.

Also agree with those that say "Wasteland" and "2" are too close together. Give them some more space.

Desert Ranger badge should be more prominent IMO.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo
ffordesoon
Master

Do not care for it at all. Looks like the logo of one of those "mockbuster" flicks you speed past on Netflix, or a logo for some crappy reality show on MTV. Really tacky.

I'm going to second (or third or fourth, I don't feel like reading it closely :P ) others here and say that a tweaked version of the logo at the top of the page would be awesome.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.
Mutantovich
Acolyte

Jumping letters - a mauvais ton, cracks - cheap, the star - dim, dust and blood - not suitable.
This is just horrible trash. Children drawing in the paint can do it better. Try again!
Last edited by Mutantovich on April 10th, 2013, 9:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

I must be honest.... I don't like it a bit. It looks silly and childish, why not just use the lettering logo from the original Wasteland box?

or

Just add a "2" on the end.

Or what about something based on that new art cover:

The proposed logo doesn't at all capture the grim and menacing look of the WL1 cover.
Matthias did nothing wrong!
NicoTS74
Initiate

Hey guys. Sorry, but I don´t like it either. I think it doesn´t fit with the game´s setting. Too "modern" and "clean".
Yuri
Explorer

I like cracks and splatter(?) but otherwise... sorry.
My suggestion is straighten the letters, add some more complex texture to it, change color of "2", and do something with the ranger star, it's looks too simple and irrelevant.
Or just go for a design like this one.

Return to “Wasteland Series News & Announcements”