Excavator

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

shivan
Acolyte

Excavator

Post by shivan » March 24th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Well, here's an excavator I've made:

I'm gonna finish texturing it up (hopefully sooner rather than later:). Was wandering if you guys think it'd be a good asset for the game, given how it's not in any of the batches? I'm thinking that a rusty old excavator with one or two flat tires and the windshields all broken up would fit somewhere in there...

Inca
Explorer

Re: Excavator

Post by Inca » March 24th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Looks Cool. What tools are you using?
Good..Bad..I am the Guy with a Gun!

GunslingerStudio
Novice

Post by GunslingerStudio » March 25th, 2013, 11:27 am

shivan wrote:Well, here's an excavator I've made:

I'm gonna finish texturing it up (hopefully sooner rather than later:). Was wandering if you guys think it'd be a good asset for the game, given how it's not in any of the batches? I'm thinking that a rusty old excavator with one or two flat tires and the windshields all broken up would fit somewhere in there...
Looking good. How many tris?
I think it will be an excellent prop. Maybe the thinner details could be bent or broken. The big thick arm for will probably be unaffected by everything save rust. :D

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » March 26th, 2013, 1:44 am

Here's some more shots, with some basic texturing, in Unity:

Was made in Blender, has about 2400 tris, though I'm gonna prolly get it to 2500 tris after I add the last details ("beam" headlights on the cabin, rear view mirror sticking out, etc).

GodComplex
Master

Post by GodComplex » March 26th, 2013, 2:10 am

First off, that is absolutely gorgeous. But if I might make a suggestion, I make the exhaust pipe a bit taller and give the teeth on the bucket a bit more height, they look kinda flimsy.
1/3 of my brain says blue radiation might be cool
1/3 says stop being overcritical
1/3 says a Baby Ruth could have prevented this situation
~Damoriel

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » March 26th, 2013, 2:57 am

Yep, the exhaust is one of the details I wanted to improve. I realize now that you're right about the cup & it's teeth too: they do look kindda flimsy. I've tried economizing on triangles, but I over did it. I'm gonna fix that too. Thanks for the suggestions!

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 26th, 2013, 7:16 am

Looks Really Nice.
I would say though that the tires would probably be gone in 80 years, or be deflated, at least some of them.

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » March 26th, 2013, 2:47 pm

You're right about the tires. I'm planning to "delapidate" it later (deflated tires, bent metal plates on the engine hood, general grime and dust and rust, etc), but first off I want to have the basics of the "brand shiny new" version all done.

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 26th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Loks better and better every time. Is it an assembly or a single mesh?

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » March 27th, 2013, 7:57 am

Well, that's an issue I've been struggling with.

Initially I wanted separate meshes for the various arms segments, the pistons, the cup, the main body, the wheels. The idea was to make a nice Blender IK rig which would allow you to pose/animate the whole thing by simply dragging on the cup (you know, to flex the arm, rotate the body, etc). Even though I've managed to make all that work in Blender, I've given up on it all because:

1. IK is not supported in Unity. More precisely, the free version has no support what so ever. The Pro version has some support, but nothing fancy

2. It in fact needs more than simple IK to make all the pistons move properly, you also have to add constrains such as "Stretch To", etc. which clearly have no correspondence in Unity.

What I think I'll do in the end is to keep the "moving parts" as separate meshes, make a simple Blender FK rig and have it exported like that in Unity. Then, if time allows, I'll also make some poses and/or animations for it.

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 27th, 2013, 8:20 am

I see. Because I am newb I was not sure if I should split my models into pieces (which would be normal in engineering applications), but I was not sure if I can place all separate pieces on the same UV map, I could not find definitive answer in the Blender Wiki. I also do not know if it's needed (I mean keeping everything on the same UV layout) amybe having many separate models and textures is better?

Crocapaw
Initiate

Post by Crocapaw » March 27th, 2013, 11:16 am

Nice props, its coming along well. I can't wait to see it done.
I don't think you should worry so much about animating it if you plan on destroying it. Most of the parts would not move after 80 years of decay anyway. It might be easier to animate some pieces that move in the wind, like hanging cables and broken parts.

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » March 28th, 2013, 1:51 am

Hey, hanging cables is a great idea (actually ,they'll be pressure tubes on the arm). I'm gonna do that! thanks!

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » March 29th, 2013, 8:15 am

Slow Friday...

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 29th, 2013, 10:06 am

:) Getting Better and Better. What's the poly count now?

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » March 30th, 2013, 2:22 pm

It's 2706 triangles, as reported by Blender. I'm gonna try adding some fluid tubes on the arm, and if it stays under 3000 I'll leave them there, if not, I'll leave the geometry as it is now. Here's how it looks from W2 camera:

Also, I'm kindda stumped as to what to "write" on it as the model/manufacturer (since I know we can't use real names/brands). The "olvo" there is just a placeholder. Are there any possible in-game brands or manufactures that could be placed there?

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » March 30th, 2013, 2:52 pm

That's impressive still under 3000 polys. I suggest "Pillar" :) for the name

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 30th, 2013, 7:44 pm

The coloration on the bucket is weird. I know it's supposed to be dirty, but being a single solid color like that makes it look... erm... fakey, especially since it looks to be the same color as the glass. Maybe just go with a steel color?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » March 31st, 2013, 1:56 am

Yes, you're right of course. The texturing is far from finished, in fact most of the parts are now just colored in and that's pretty much it.

Prime8brain
Novice

Post by Prime8brain » April 4th, 2013, 2:03 am

This is getting really nice.
I somehow really like the black part in the rear, it has some flat plastic look right now which i would actually try keep this way, rather than making it a metal part.

The walls of the bucket could be still thicker, at least the teeth.

Cannot give any advice about the brand name, don't know anything about Wasteland :D

Cheers