Takkik - computer & rocks WIP

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Takkik
Acolyte

Takkik - computer & rocks WIP

Post by Takkik » January 13th, 2013, 6:49 am

Hi all. Working on a computer & some rocks.
I've just done the low poly model and a quick texturing test before working on the High poly details for the normals map. I will separated each elements, so the tower could be used without the computer, or the computer put on a desk, be albe to rotate the monitor or even remove it (destroyed). Will try to make an alternate monitor version where the back can be removed.

I've a question to the dev : Will the camera be zoomed in interior or stay at same distance than in given scene? Because props feel really small at this distance.

Just a quick rock test. I want to make them share the same texture. I'm playing with substance Designer for allow more variations.

FeelTheRads
Acolyte

Re: Takkik - computer & rocks WIP

Post by FeelTheRads » January 13th, 2013, 7:25 am

Love that computer! Can you post the texture map?

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » January 13th, 2013, 9:53 am

The Computer and Rocks both look really nice, especially the computer texture is mega awesome.

However, with the risk of being a mega geek, I must note that your computer is something from the late 80s, early 90s era, and uses integrated circuit boards, while the concept art description of the computer says:

"The more high-tech its manufacturing in its day, the less likely to survive and function. Plenty of vintage 1960s and 70s [...] vacuum-tubed equipment held up over the long years"

To me this sounds more like there should mostly be closet-sized, vacuum-tubed computers around and not "modern" 80s and 90s desktops...

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » January 13th, 2013, 10:46 am

Thx for the comments. You're right Shivan, easy to forget the brief. After some search, the computer itself is modeled from a Xerox, from 1970-75, it's more the circuit I put in that make it hight tech. I think I will itinerate from this base, keep the actual model as an old computer not working, and perhaps create a variation with some low tech in, a modified version working.
The textures are just place holder from photos. Will update this version with some ruined/burned circuits in, and a rusted/dust look.

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » January 18th, 2013, 9:22 am

I've updated the consept to a movable computer with it's own generator on the back. I'll continue to add elements before a zbrush pass and doing the lowpoly model.

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » January 19th, 2013, 2:45 pm

I like that mobile version! :D

It´s something new and doesnt focus on the concept art provided- you´re da man. ;)
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » January 20th, 2013, 3:47 am

Only comment I'd make is to change the wheels to be under it. So more like trolley wheels. The sort of thing where you might push it around and then slot it into a bank of similar machines.

Generally something like this would be used in a "clean" environment, and wouldn't need big honkin wheels to provide stability on uneven surfaces etc.

Otherwise it looks good.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

iZerw
Initiate

Post by iZerw » January 20th, 2013, 3:53 am

Coll! I Think you should stick with this "mobile version". It's very useful and all-sufficient, military style. And pretty unique too, never saw such things in other games.
Pardon me for my rudiment english and social skills.

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » January 22nd, 2013, 9:13 am

New update. I made it bigger, added a radar on top. I think i will create different updates for the top, like satelite antenna or spy cam. Since it's bigger, I think it can move by himself with the generator/engine on the back, will add some wired controler on the side for command it. Oups, just noticed I forgot to add stabilisator on sides for keep it in place when positionned. When finished will perhaps crate a military version with armored plates and machine gun on top, could be my automated turret version.

salt1219
Acolyte

Post by salt1219 » January 22nd, 2013, 10:41 am

Loving the new computer concept. Please post one with some paint :)
Mostly harmless.

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » January 22nd, 2013, 12:58 pm

Neat! Then all those goodies only need a proper texture and ur destined to be featured ingame! :D
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » January 23rd, 2013, 12:58 am

Those wheels are much better, especially now that I see it IS meant to be for use outdoors.... (I have no idea what for tho) :lol:
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » January 23rd, 2013, 8:22 am

The model looks really good, but aren't you having too many triangles? Those wheels and pipes look awfully smooth and nice to be, you know, "low-poly" :)

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » January 23rd, 2013, 8:52 am

Thx for the comments all. Dont worry Shivan, I know for the polycount. In fact I've done a big mistake at the begining of the mobile version. I wanted to do first a high poly version for bake the normals, but in the end it was lost time, it's faster to do the low poly directly and bake the normals on the texture (or by parts when needed). So I'm loosing my day converting to low poly all the smooth parts. In the end it will be over 2k I think, even with simplifacations, but since it's a large "computer" and should not have more that 1-2 on screen, should be ok?

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » January 23rd, 2013, 1:25 pm

OIC, yeah 2k triangles is more than ok, I mean the turret and dilapidated car were estimated at less than 3.5 K.

However I don't really understand why you don't want to use the highpoly model to bake the shadows in... When you say it's easier to just do it on the texture, you mean modify the texture image directly?

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » January 23rd, 2013, 2:03 pm

I just mean considering it's a top down game and not a fps where you can look at close range and at weird angle, and that it's a hardsurface object, easier to to the low poly first, and then you can create your normal map on a flat rectangle based on the uv. I've lost time puting details in aera not really visible.

shivan
Acolyte

Post by shivan » January 24th, 2013, 7:54 am

Oh right ok, I see what you mean now. But still, if the normal map created from baking a high poly version looks good you should keep it. Also, regarding the camera, while most of the time it will be top down, they've shown some footage where the camera goes almost 3rd-person-like. This, combined with the fact that light might come for various directions (not just top) could translate into making all sorts of bumpiness visible. At any rate, I'm just saying that if you already worked on it like this, don't throw it away thinking it will not be visible, as it might not be the case.

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » January 31st, 2013, 10:55 am

After a long fight vs the UV, i'm now working on the texture. It's just a first preview. The vent aera will get an alpha cutout. I'm not sure about the metal plate, i've still some room on the uv for add more details. I will perhaps simplify them for use a simple alpha and perhaps add some more. Currently 5562 tri and 2 textures. Will do the normal in the end, using the texture as a guide.

Takkik
Acolyte

Post by Takkik » February 5th, 2013, 8:39 am

New update.

ButchinMelancholy
Adventurer

Post by ButchinMelancholy » February 5th, 2013, 11:18 am

Good stuff. Image
What will change the world in the first place is not what we will do, but what we will refuse to do yet...