The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep Patch 1

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

sear
Developer

The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep Patch 1

Post by sear » September 21st, 2018, 9:55 pm

Hello everyone!

Today we are releasing the first patch for The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep.

Once more, thank you for your patience and understanding while we continue to resolve all issues you may encounter as quickly as we can. In addition to that, we are also very grateful for all the feedback we have received from you since launch. Please keep sending us your reports and thoughts, it means a lot to us and helps us to hunt down all remaining problems (as well as considering other revisions).

Let's take a more detailed look at Patch 1:

Our primary focus has been to address the topics which most impact your gaming experience, based on your feedback and what we’ve seen pop up during the last few days:
  • Crashes
  • Dropping framerates
  • Non-functional widescreen support
  • Unusual loading times on HDDs
  • FOV slider
  • Localization concerns
As already stated in the road map we released earlier this week, some of these points are not easy to resolve and require in-depth changes to the game (and subsequent testing). This applies especially to stabilizing framerates, improving loading times, and taking care of resolution issues. Today's patch lays the overall groundwork for fixing these, and you will see more improvements with patch 2, currently targeting Friday 9/28.

While we continue building on that, a number of issues have been fixed in today’s patch. We added a FOV slider, solved some pesky crashes, overhauled some funky skills, and many other things. Please take a look at the complete list of changes to get the full picture:
  • Added FOV slider to the options menu
  • Added ability to delete each save independently
  • Updated ordering of PAK files to improve loading times up through Skyhenge
  • Tweaks to volumetric fog in many areas to reduce load on the GPU
  • Optimization of Kael’s Rudiment VFX to improve performance issues in combat
  • Fix for puzzle weapons not saving their puzzle state if they were equipped when solved
  • Fix to puzzle weapon crafting icons to remove stretching issues
  • Updated materials on some puzzle weapons handles not displaying properly on high, medium, low quality settings
  • Increased speed of Rain of Arrows enemy animations to reduce slowdown
  • Fix to a crash when pressing End Turn when the player has an exploding arrow on that would kill them after the turn
  • Added skill tree icons in subterfuge for lockpick and mastery
  • Raised FPS cap on smoothing to 260
  • Fixes to Inner Peace, Mindful, and Quick Thinking to not activate only once
  • Added windowed mode drop down to replace checkbox
  • Fix for game softlocking if a tutorial popped up right as a note was read
  • Fix for electric boon line crash with certain abilities proccing out of combat
  • Fix for a combatants kill action that could be triggered multiple times and after the end of combat screen which could cause a soft lock, notably with conjurers mark
  • Fix for activating a standing stone right as combat starts causing a soft lock
  • Fix for 2 handed weapons with 2 skills that were losing the first skill when level loading or training skills
  • Fix for issue where combat statuses weren’t being removed after combat
  • Removed the ability to destroy ink recipes in Mangar’s Tower
  • Updated Mangar’s horde fight in Mangar’s Tower so traps go away when defeated after save/load
  • Fixed a fairy golf collision issue in Baedish Lowlands
  • Audio improvements to final game scene
  • Removed code that auto sets controller functionality if a gamepad is connected. Gamepad functionality will be added in patch 3
  • Updated Blessing of Mathan VFX to remove untextured squares
  • Drunk tutorial should no longer fire off when stepping into a trap
  • Added aspect ratio adjustments when resolution is changed
  • Fix for changing between resolution, language, and fullscreen in the options menu causing the game resolution to revert to 1 x 1
  • Switched Sybale’s background VFX to the rogues set instead of the bards set
  • Fix for issue where pausing the game in certain (spoilers removed) cutscenes could cause the game to be unresponsive
  • Updates to floating damage text for readability
  • Fixed Rabbie’s FaceFX for Snow in Summer song.
  • Fix for issue where level transitions while dual wielding two main hand weapons would destroy the main hand weapon and dupe the offhand weapon
  • Fix for Elven wine tooltip to show amount of spell points you generate on use
  • Small walkability fix in Fichti forest
  • Fighter’s mana bar shows up now if they have the Veteran passive
  • Updated traps in base of Song of the Sentry to deal damage to the whole party
  • Updated text on skill points tutorials
  • Fix to Harkyn’s Castle and logic puzzle quests to properly complete
  • Fix to secret doors in Iwon Reg that became impassable after save/load
  • Fix for an issue where an equipped trinket would duplicate if a consumable trinket was swapped with it
  • Made the Torr Fion key a quest item
  • Can no longer spam a lever in Mangar’s tower that would restrict the skulls
  • Fixed Show North so it’s not useable in combat
  • Fix for bug where mana was using the current mana value and not the max mana value with certain items
  • Fix for wraith sub-abilities not respecting mana costs
  • Update to a combat space in Iwon Reg that was on top of spikes
  • Fix for an issue in Baedish Forest where there was a chance to get stuck in a combat space
Hotfix
  • Fix for a possible sequence break in the Isle of Stronsea where the player could speak with the Selkie sisters before they should be able to.

If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at our support line.

The team at inXile

waltc
Scholar

Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep Patch 1

Post by waltc » September 22nd, 2018, 8:11 am

Could you fellas please use the Gog Galaxy dev channel to release the patch to us GOG folks? From what I've seen, it works just like Steam. Thanks.

smithkt
Initiate

Post by smithkt » September 22nd, 2018, 8:54 am

waltc wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 8:11 am
Could you fellas please use the Gog Galaxy dev channel to release the patch to us GOG folks? From what I've seen, it works just like Steam. Thanks.
Agreed. I was eagerly awaiting this update and was sorry to see it is not available for GOG. I don't know what the technical details are for pushing these updates but I'm pretty sure GOG Galaxy has the ability to push patches in a similar way to Steam.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » September 22nd, 2018, 9:28 am

GOG handles setup on their end. They received the patch at the sams time, and we notified them.

smithkt
Initiate

Post by smithkt » September 22nd, 2018, 9:41 am

phimseto wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 9:28 am
GOG handles setup on their end. They received the patch at the sams time, and we notified them.
I appreciate the response. I take it this means patches are not pushed automatically and relies on manual intervention on the part of the GOG team? Unfortunate. In my searches, I had seen mention of GOG Galaxy supporting a developer function to allow you to push the patches similar to Steam. I had hoped this would be the case, but I guess I will just have to muddle through until GOG updates. Too bad. I might have selected a Steam key had I known GOG patches would lag behind.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 22nd, 2018, 2:38 pm

Yeah, every other game I had on GoG, through GoG Galaxy the patches were pushed out nearly the same time as Steam. But now it is like 17 hours later and there is still no update on GoG Galaxy. Can you guys contact GoG again and ask them what the hold up is to get the patch up on GoG Galaxy? Cause something has to be wrong if GoG Galaxy wasn't updating around the same time as Steam. It would be great if we can get an ETA on this.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 22nd, 2018, 2:48 pm

If you have to go through a different process to get patches pushed out to GoG Galaxy, can you guys please do that? Cause otherwise your GoG users are going to have to wait till probably Monday to get the patch.

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » September 23rd, 2018, 10:02 am

phimseto wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 9:28 am
You don't do the GOG patch like in the old days--when you sent them the patch and then they would decide to distribute it because they had to build the install format--that was the manual patch procedure. Galaxy provides developers their own *direct* update channel through Galaxy, or so they say--I received patches from Larian, and HG, for instance, the same day that they were made available on Steam--through Galaxy. I've received them on weekends, etc. You do it just like you do it on Steam--developer direct. this is all very confusing, actually. And disappointing--I note that in the Steam forums inXile is posting about the patch--inXile has yet to post in the appropriate Gog forum concerning the patch at all. Seems fairly open and shut, actually. It really is disappointing. The game was released on Tuesday--if you guys had questions about the procedure you had until Friday at midnight to query GOG and get everything straight. I can see that did not happen. Love the game--find the inXile interest in or support for GOG distribution lacking. I would advise that inXile not pretend that their GOG customers do not exist and are of little to no importance.

Jamey
Acolyte

Post by Jamey » September 23rd, 2018, 6:59 pm

I believe that I'm still waiting for this on GOG. Since I haven't had any game breaking bugs, I'm not too stressed about that.

I would recommend that the devs put the version number in their patch announcement somewhere. That would be why I believe I don't have it - I can't figure out what the old and new version numbers are.

I've been having fun, and I'm looking forward to the fixes getting to me if they haven't. :)

Shismar
Initiate

Post by Shismar » September 24th, 2018, 3:38 am

Still no patch on gog, sure they got the message? No official posts on the forum either, neither from gog nor inXile.

Pretty sad really since some of these bugs are pretty annoying and my elven weapons gather dust because they won't even keep their gems when upgraded in inventory. Specifically Axe of Kael lost me like five purple gems, the last two when it looked like the upgrades took and when I reached the elven shrine it was empty again.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 24th, 2018, 4:50 am

Shismar wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 3:38 am
Still no patch on gog, sure they got the message? No official posts on the forum either, neither from gog nor inXile.

Pretty sad really since some of these bugs are pretty annoying and my elven weapons gather dust because they won't even keep their gems when upgraded in inventory. Specifically Axe of Kael lost me like five purple gems, the last two when it looked like the upgrades took and when I reached the elven shrine it was empty again.
Inxile needs to learn how to use the dev portal to get patches working through GoG Galaxy so that GoG Galaxy users get the patches about the same time as Steam. Many other developers have used this system through the dev portal and got patches out to Gog Galaxy users with in 30 minutes of Steam. If Inxile does this today, then we can get the patch today, apparently the script is simple and comparable to how Steam does it. So there is no valid reason why Inxile cannot make sure we get the patch today, and then when they release the next patch that we get it at the same time as Steam as well.

here is where GoG team is talking about such a system that Inxile did not use for this patch, and a system they should start using today
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gog_i ... ?staff=yes

Shismar
Initiate

Post by Shismar » September 24th, 2018, 8:02 am

Patch 1 is up on gog. Be warned, 26 gB, a.k.a the complete game.

yorickdowne
Initiate

Post by yorickdowne » September 24th, 2018, 9:48 am

Huge improvement. You can still tell this game wasn't "meant for ultrawide", mostly in the stretching of loading screens and cutscenes which snap back to a narrower resolution as the game loads to the next scene, but the gameplay itself (with View set to 100%) looks okay now. Still a bit less expansive than I might have expected, but no longer "we really didn't mean this to run on ultrawide", so that's a big improvement. It's playable now.

I'm really hoping that the upcoming Friday patch will be on GOG before Monday. There is a better toolchain available, afaik.

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » September 24th, 2018, 11:43 am

Guys, I finally got the Galaxy patch this a.m.! (Monday morning.) Hopefully, whatever the snafu was, inXile will have no trouble in the future for future patches! Galaxy updates are the way to go, imo. Gog also has the appropriate manual patch up, as well, for backup purposes. I won't be downloading the backup, of course, until you are finished patching the game.

Suggestion: Please be so kind as to place a sticky thread in the GOG BTIV forum applicable to this patch as you did in the Steam forum. I have no idea why this hasn't already been done by InXile, as it would seem to be a cut and paste operation taking all of about ten seconds to complete...;) (Copy the Steam patch thread starter and paste to the Gog forum in a sticky there.) Here's the GOG forum address, too, if you don't already have it:

https://www.gog.com/forum/the_bards_tal ... 1537813468

The absence of *any* official posts there by inXile developers is (or should be!) sort of embarrassing for you guys. Not trying to bust your chops, or anything...;)...but, really, I shouldn't have had to say a single word on this topic--or any of the other folks above who chimed in. I *love* the game and recommend it highly wherever I can! When it comes to Gog support just mirror what you do for Steam support and you'll have covered the bases. Now it's time to crack the lid on this patch...;)

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 24th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Thank you for getting the patch out to GoG users. All I ask is that you please figure out how to use the GoG Galaxy developer portal so that the next patch can release at the same time as Steam's.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 29th, 2018, 6:32 am

On to the next patch! viewtopic.php?f=43&t=19683