Remaster from Krome Studios is amazing!

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Flammon
Initiate

Remaster from Krome Studios is amazing!

Post by Flammon » May 17th, 2018, 12:35 pm

Here's a quick peek:

Now that is a high quality remaster. I'm so excited!

More info from the update.
https://bardstale.inxile-entertainment. ... view&id=74

ZiN
Adventurer

Re: Remaster from Krome Studios is amazing!

Post by ZiN » May 17th, 2018, 1:50 pm

Indeed it is and a very ambitious undertaking! That's over 200 portraits to redraw and animate, if we count the whole trilogy. And OMG, that gameworld... I can hardly believe how high-quality this is looking like. And they plan to add sounds, tooltips, automap, etc. A great task indeed! Best of luck(laran) to Krome Studios!

I'm hoping they also plan to remaster the bard songs (based on the IIGS versions), Pieces of 8-bit style.

When I was looking at the update and saw the redrawn portraits, I was thinking: "Wow, that looks really cool, I wonder if the animations are still in?"
Then, I scrolled down and saw this:
Boom! Mind blown!

Funny thing is, pretty sure the gameworld window-frame was drawn by Jennell Jaquays of Olde Skuul.

Lordrefa
Initiate

Post by Lordrefa » May 17th, 2018, 3:51 pm

I’m very excited about the remasters. Been looking forward to them for a long time.

galbyman
Initiate

Post by galbyman » May 17th, 2018, 8:13 pm

This already looks way better than what Olde Skuul spent three years working on.

mercy
Novice

Post by mercy » May 18th, 2018, 5:26 am

Waiting for the Amazing Remasters and not giving a SHT about that F'KED UP Bards Tale 4 trainwreck!!! Remaster graphics is a bit goofy, but still remains on the right side of agreeable to open my wallet. I expected more grittiness & adult-rated blood & gore.

The only Bard's Tale game inXile did right with the old amazing team was this one:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/4190 ... ards_Tale/

joekucera2002
Acolyte

Post by joekucera2002 » May 18th, 2018, 6:45 am

galbyman wrote:
May 17th, 2018, 8:13 pm
This already looks way better than what Olde Skuul spent three years working on.
I was thoroughly displeased with their work. There wasn't that much graphical improvements and the game was nothing but bugs and unplayable from what I saw. I only briefly played it though.

galbyman
Initiate

Post by galbyman » May 18th, 2018, 8:52 am

joekucera2002 wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 6:45 am
galbyman wrote:
May 17th, 2018, 8:13 pm
I was thoroughly displeased with their work. There wasn't that much graphical improvements and the game was nothing but bugs and unplayable from what I saw. I only briefly played it though.
You are exactly right. It felt like they just recompiled the code to run in Windows, made a few changes, and called it a day. Then spent three years on how great the product was.

maxheadroom
Initiate

Post by maxheadroom » May 18th, 2018, 9:37 am

I wonder just how far along Olde Skuul were? They posted on their facebook page that they were "just about to release a new version to the backers". 'course that was over 2 months ago and nothing came of it. Again

joekucera2002
Acolyte

Post by joekucera2002 » May 18th, 2018, 9:56 am

maxheadroom wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 9:37 am
I wonder just how far along Olde Skuul were? They posted on their facebook page that they were "just about to release a new version to the backers". 'course that was over 2 months ago and nothing came of it. Again
They "said" it is close. In reality, who knows. My information was "two weeks of work" was remaining over a year ago. I raise the bullshit flag.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » May 18th, 2018, 10:31 am

mercy wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 5:26 am
The only Bard's Tale game inXile did right with the old amazing team was this one:
Get that garbage out of this thread please, this is about the awesome Krome Remaster! That "Bard's Tale game" is about on the same level as Olde Sküül's "remaster": Full of bugs and other issues. And it was an insult to the Bard's Tale series, to begin with.

In our other news, Tangramayne Times reports, that after a long, drawn-out drama, Australian S.W.A.T. team Krome 1, have successfully rescued the hostage and are keeping it under protection at their headquarters. The hostage is well and, will be back in shape soon.

balinor
Acolyte

Post by balinor » May 18th, 2018, 2:10 pm

I have been a pretty vocal complainer about BT4 (With good reason I think) but credit where credit is due. This looks amazing and my hat is off to Inxile for putting this project together.

If this is half as good as it is looking then I will consider my money well spent no matter how 4 turns out.

miasma
Acolyte

Post by miasma » May 18th, 2018, 2:26 pm

Wow, that looks pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out! Let's hope they can finish it. I'm especially interested in seeing BT3, since that game had the most varied settings, and the original releases couldn't really depict the variety. I wonder how much detail Krome will add to make each dimension feel like a unique place. Will we get an underwater palace that actually looks like it's underwater, for example? (at least, I THINK that was a location in BT3... it's been ages since I played.)

Qoojo
Novice

Post by Qoojo » May 18th, 2018, 4:31 pm

I did not have much hope based on the number of bugs that could be found playing 30 seconds into the Olde Skuul's remaster, but this is very good news. I am more interested in this remaster than BT4 too. Glad Olde Skull is gone, and you know inxile has be happy to done with a certain nut job's baggage.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » May 18th, 2018, 5:09 pm

ZiN wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 10:31 am
In our other news, Tangramayne Times reports, that after a long, drawn-out drama, Australian S.W.A.T. team Krome 1, have successfully rescued the hostage and are keeping it under protection at their headquarters. The hostage is well and, will be back in shape soon.
:rofl:

That was good - cheers, ZiN.
cmibl<enter>

JasonJoel
Novice

Post by JasonJoel » May 19th, 2018, 6:14 am

Now let's pray/keep fingers crossed for a beta version SOON!!!

It looks great. I'm hoping they put some kind of save state system in it to make early grinding more fun/accessible. Yes, I know purists will say "it was hard on purpose" - so fine, YOU don't have to use the save states if they put them in. I will, though, as I have limited time. :)

sinbuster
Initiate

Post by sinbuster » May 20th, 2018, 12:04 am

I was starting to lose hope. A true remaster of the OT has been such a long time coming. Please Krome, don't go breaking my heart.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » May 20th, 2018, 10:02 am

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
May 18th, 2018, 5:09 pm
cheers, ZiN.
Cheers! And I had another one, in honor of our friends at Krome:

BT3 will be the toughest one to remaster. We don't know whether the remasters are based on the the PC version, or another one, but the best version is the Apple IIGS one for BT1-2 and the C64 one for BT3. The PC version of BT3 has many bugs, which were fixed by the unofficial patch (thiefp.exe, from GitHub). Here are the patch notes. InXile didn't bother to fix these, but I trust Krome will!

Another question is whether they will be using the C64, or the Amiga portraits for BT3. Most people like the style of the C64 ones better.
JasonJoel wrote:
May 19th, 2018, 6:14 am
I'm hoping they put some kind of save state system in it to make early grinding more fun/accessible.
Yes, BT1 could use the same save system as 2 and 3.

Since it was mentioned, they're adding additional sounds to the game, I had a fun idea:
When (C)asting spells, they could map certain short "magical sounds", to each key. Then, as the player types in the 4 letter code, every spell will have a different "casting sound". (Funny thing is that the IIGS version had a "casting sound" for non-combat spells, you can briefly hear it here, if you listen closely.)

Magican
Initiate

Post by Magican » May 27th, 2018, 2:34 pm

This is really great, I got the notification on Kickstarter, I always hoped all 3 Bards Tale would be made. I liked the AMIGA version best as it was hard and so beautiful and I liked the stereo version of the Bards music.

I only backed this for the 3 remastered version, not that I do not think the Bards Tale IV would be bad, not at all, but the old ones was so good. And to have them remastered is worth the price and the time waiting for them.

narcissus79
Initiate

Post by narcissus79 » May 27th, 2018, 9:03 pm

hmm.. i don't seem to be getting the emails notifying me of progress? guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled on the forums and keep logging in to my crowdox account to be notified!

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » May 27th, 2018, 9:18 pm

narcissus79 wrote:
May 27th, 2018, 9:03 pm
hmm.. i don't seem to be getting the emails notifying me of progress? guess I'll have to keep my eyes peeled on the forums and keep logging in to my crowdox account to be notified!
Kickstarter Update #44 wrote: Right now, the plan is to complete work on the first Bard's Tale game and then release that to all of you to play while work continues on the next two games. We're hoping to have that for you this summer.
Technically, it's not summer yet. And we can hope they meant northern hemisphere summer. Since Krome is Australian, if they meant southern hemisphere summer, then they bought themselves an extra 6 months. :D (Not that I think they're going to need it.)
cmibl<enter>