Disarming mines means NOT stepping on them

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Iiago
Acolyte

Disarming mines means NOT stepping on them

Post by Iiago » December 18th, 2015, 5:00 pm

One of my characters has a high demolitions skill, such that he has a 100% chance to disarm most mines.

Problem: he seems to think that the first step in disarming a mine is to step on it. Sometimes he even disarms the mines AFTER stepping on it, which seems a bit confusing but is still what he does.

Is there anyone to fix this annoying issue?

mac10
Novice

Re: Disarming mines means NOT stepping on them

Post by mac10 » December 18th, 2015, 9:28 pm

I've never had such problem, click as a group, then right click to have the mine disarmed, the highest demo guy in group should walk up close but not on the mine to disarm it.

Iiago
Acolyte

Post by Iiago » December 19th, 2015, 12:04 am

That's what I'm doing. The problem is that about 50% of the time he walks on to the mine to disarm it. I get the same result if I click on that character's "demolitions" skill then click on the mine.

The only workaround I've found is to manually move that character next to the mine first, then use the disarm skill. That's not perfect because if I don't put him in exactly the right place he's either too close to the mine (and it explodes) or he's too far away to use the skill (so he moves onto it. Then it explodes. Then he uses the skill.)

Myrth
Acolyte

Post by Myrth » December 19th, 2015, 5:54 am

First, separate your demolition person away from the rest of the group and switch to single character control. Add the person with perception to the demo. Move the two close to mine. Pick up demolition from the bar. Click on spotted mine. ... PROFIT!

Seriously, there is no other way to do that, unless you are ordering your demo to run half the map and then disarm the mine, so the pathfinding will screw you.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » December 19th, 2015, 8:16 am

From what I've been able to determine, this is a bug which seems to be a result of the Unity pathfinding getting screwed up when you run the game at a very low framerate. If this occurs often for you, you are probably running the game at 10-20 fps, in which case you are likely below the game's minimum requirements.

Juris
Acolyte

Post by Juris » December 19th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Same - just do what Myrth said it takes a bit more micromanaging but you can do it. The key is that you don't want your char to move to the mine when you disarm it.
Iiago wrote:One of my characters has a high demolitions skill, such that he has a 100% chance to disarm most mines.

Problem: he seems to think that the first step in disarming a mine is to step on it. Sometimes he even disarms the mines AFTER stepping on it, which seems a bit confusing but is still what he does.

Is there anyone to fix this annoying issue?

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » December 19th, 2015, 6:35 pm

I used to have the same problem in the vanilla version. It's not been happening since I've moved to DC.

Which version are you playing?

Iiago
Acolyte

Post by Iiago » December 20th, 2015, 1:55 pm

DC on a Mac.

Sear's right, I'm playing on an underpowered machine that's somewhere around the minimum specs, so sounds like that's the cause of the problem. I'm not looking at a new machine for a bit, so looks like I'll just have to micromanage my way through it :-(

Thanks guys!

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » December 20th, 2015, 4:11 pm

It's kind of a birthday miracle that I got a machine capable of running WL2 myself, so but for the grace of Mom go I.

Iiago
Acolyte

Post by Iiago » January 31st, 2016, 6:42 pm

If anyone's wondering - I got my hands on a faster machine, and that fixed the problem. Thanks for the tip Sear!

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » February 3rd, 2016, 5:50 pm

Iiago wrote:If anyone's wondering - I got my hands on a faster machine, and that fixed the problem. Thanks for the tip Sear!
Nobody was wondering :mrgreen: ... but glad to hear that ;)
Happy playing ;)

sear
Developer

Post by sear » February 3rd, 2016, 6:46 pm

Iiago wrote:If anyone's wondering - I got my hands on a faster machine, and that fixed the problem. Thanks for the tip Sear!
Yeah, it's a pretty weird quirk. It's got to be some sort of issue with Unity's pathfinding not doing so well at very low framerates (perhaps an issue with the number/accuracy of updates being reduced). Enjoy the updated computer!