Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Brother None
Developer

Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by Brother None » December 2nd, 2014, 12:55 pm

Update 58 speaks to what we're up to now, plus: Collector's Edition boxes and Doomsday Survival Kits are starting to ship!
Wasteland 2 has been out for just a few months now and we continue to be very humbled with the love it's been getting from our backers and fans! It’s been great going on Twitter and our forums, reading your comments and experiences in the wasteland. There are quite a few creative custom parties running around Arizona and Los Angeles…

We’ve released three major patches since the last Kickstarter update, with over a thousand improvements to the game. The team has tackled things like major optimization passes, UI usability improvements, as well as tracking down bugs. Wasteland 2 is an incredibly large and complex game, with many moving parts, and we've been working down to the smallest details (including typos).

Many of the talented team members at inXile who worked on Wasteland 2 have moved full time on to Torment: Tides of Numenera, but we still have a dedicated crew giving Wasteland 2 the love and attention it deserves. Amongst other things, we intend to do a serious balance pass in the future that should tighten up some of the loose ends. This process will easily take a month to complete (have I mentioned this game is massive?) so we will need a solid window of time to complete it between updates.

Along with continued tuning of Wasteland 2, myself and a few others at the studio are beginning to work on another RPG that has been passionately demanded of us for a while now! It’s still quite early in the process, but we will have more news on that in the New Year.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Update 58:Life Beyond Release

Post by Drool » December 2nd, 2014, 1:02 pm

*pokes email*

Got the other update about the non-Steam disc, but not this one.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Vault_13
Scholar

Post by Vault_13 » December 2nd, 2014, 1:09 pm

Starting to regret I've asked for a signed version :D. Seems like I always order things that need most time to get ready :lol:

cunningandvalor
Scholar

Post by cunningandvalor » December 2nd, 2014, 1:16 pm

Vault_13 wrote:Starting to regret I've asked for a signed version :D. Seems like I always order things that need most time to get ready :lol:
Yeah, like all of the problems and delays with this whole process aside - I can't believe the survival kits went out before the signed collector's editions. For a while it seemed like they were working their way up the tiers because they didn't plan in advance and went with Deep Silver who are of course incompetent - but, no. Just gonna skip a tier. Aren't the people who are getting the survival kits getting signed CE's too?

This just continues the trend of not enough information, not planned ahead, backed the wrong horse that has plagued the whole project. Thank titan the game itself is amazing because everything else has been amateur at best.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » December 2nd, 2014, 1:19 pm

Drool wrote:*pokes email*

Took me about 20m to get it too. Think the Kickstarter mailing server might be stressed or something, hope everyone gets it still.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

mindx2
Acolyte

Post by mindx2 » December 2nd, 2014, 1:33 pm

Brother None wrote:

Took me about 20m to get it too. Think the Kickstarter mailing server might be stressed or something, hope everyone gets it still.
When the update states "so expect them [Doomsday kits] to arrive early-to-mid next month depending on where you live." is this based on them going out in Nov. so they should arrive in Dec. or are we talking January?

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » December 2nd, 2014, 1:42 pm

mindx2 wrote:When the update states "so expect them [Doomsday kits] to arrive early-to-mid next month depending on where you live." is this based on them going out in Nov. so they should arrive in Dec. or are we talking January?
We're still shipping them out, it is referring to January.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

mindx2
Acolyte

Post by mindx2 » December 2nd, 2014, 1:48 pm

Brother None wrote:
mindx2 wrote:When the update states "so expect them [Doomsday kits] to arrive early-to-mid next month depending on where you live." is this based on them going out in Nov. so they should arrive in Dec. or are we talking January?
Are you guys sending tracking numbers out with the email notifications for those Doomsday kits?

cunningandvalor
Scholar

Post by cunningandvalor » December 2nd, 2014, 1:54 pm

mindx2 wrote:
Brother None wrote:
Are you guys sending tracking numbers out with the email notifications for those Doomsday kits?
They said before that they can't do tracking numbers because they didn't really plan this far out, so no.

mindx2
Acolyte

Post by mindx2 » December 2nd, 2014, 2:11 pm

My understanding is that refers to Deep Silver. Since they are the ones actually mailing out the Doomsday kits and signed CEs there's no reason they can't slap a tracking sticker on it.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » December 2nd, 2014, 2:14 pm

Another RPG passionately demanded? Could it be something other than Bards Tale IV?

On one hand, that'd be kinda exciting. On another, a new IP would be more exciting. I'd love inXile do something not tied to the past. Sequels or successors to older games have too much expectations.

mindx2
Acolyte

Post by mindx2 » December 2nd, 2014, 2:26 pm

Lucius wrote:Another RPG passionately demanded? Could it be something other than Bards Tale IV?

On one hand, that'd be kinda exciting. On another, a new IP would be more exciting. I'd love inXile do something not tied to the past. Sequels or successors to older games have too much expectations.
My guess is Bard's Tale with a lot of hints, sneek-peeks, etc. over the next several months to build up hype then the KS announcement. Fargo is great at this and used it very effectively with W2 and T:ToN.

Plus, I'd love a BT IV and my wallet is ready... just DON'T USE DS!!! :twisted:

cunningandvalor
Scholar

Post by cunningandvalor » December 2nd, 2014, 2:29 pm

mindx2 wrote:My understanding is that refers to Deep Silver. Since they are the ones actually mailing out the Doomsday kits and signed CEs there's no reason they can't slap a tracking sticker on it.
That would seem right, but BN was also viewing this forum when you posted this and he didn't respond. Plus, ya know, providing tracking numbers costs money and they're in the "profit" step of the plan. Plus there's the whole "If we provide tracking numbers now then all of the people who wanted tracking numbers before and didn't get them will be pissed." thing.

I'll tell ya what, if I'm wrong I'm wrong, but I've been following things from the beginning and I know how they've been handling these things. I would be very surprised if they made the right decision and extended tracking numbers to higher-tiered backers. Prove me wrong but they're just going to come back and say "Sorry, we didn't know how long this would take or what was involved in it, so it'll be a little longer."

That's always their answer, "We didn't know, out of our hands, sorry for the delay."

EDIT: Sorry, I made it seem like you weren't a backer from the beginning, which you clearly are. What I meant is I've been following these processes closely and their answer is always the same: "Sorry everyone, passed it off to a third party, have no idea what's happening."

Andross
Acolyte

Post by Andross » December 2nd, 2014, 3:35 pm

Let's get on the hype train again!

I hope that the train is capable to travel in time, if you know what I mean. ;)

POLE7645
Initiate

Post by POLE7645 » December 2nd, 2014, 3:39 pm

My situation is the exact opposite. I recieved the email about this update, but no notification about the non-Steam disc. They're actualy ready to be shipped?

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » December 2nd, 2014, 5:24 pm

Month of work for a balance pass? Why not just tackle the elephant in the room, aka Assault Rifle and some progression problems with armor and certain weapon lines. Game would be perfectly fine for first playthrough, and people doing advanced playthroughs on high difficulties will always find ways to game the system, as thats the whole point.

Getting the mod tools out faster before community loses interest in them, would do far better job for Wasteland's 2 longterm health then rebalancing the whole game on the house.

Also, some update on sales would be welcome, just to justify our curiosity if anything else. I see W2 already hit -30% steam sale, although I guess that's normal 2 months after launch.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » December 2nd, 2014, 6:11 pm

nearly all rpgs i played in the last time were heavily modded. I like mods (especially graphic mods and other mods which doesnt change game mechanics), but often it seems producers/publishers simply outsource the work in this way.. releasing games with problems and let those problems be solved by modders .. and get the money and the fame for making great games (great only after they got modded/fixed)... i prefer that developers fix problems by themselves. Modders can still do so much... especially in rpgs with a big world... people want more clothes for their rangers? They want more portraits? More pregenerated rangers? Easy... but the core of the game, like balancing, the main story, etc. should be done by the developers.

That said, there could be a beta-patch, so that people can help with balancing. Like stated in the Update, you must try out many different playstyles and ways to approach the game, to see if there are problems with balance. More eyes see more things, and more hands can do more things.

PinchIt
Initiate

Post by PinchIt » December 2nd, 2014, 10:43 pm

nearly all rpgs i played in the last time were heavily modded. I like mods (especially graphic mods and other mods which doesnt change game mechanics), but often it seems producers/publishers simply outsource the work in this way.. releasing games with problems and let those problems be solved by modders .. and get the money and the fame for making great games (great only after they got modded/fixed)... i prefer that developers fix problems by themselves. Modders can still do so much... especially in rpgs with a big world... people want more clothes for their rangers? They want more portraits? More pregenerated rangers? Easy... but the core of the game, like balancing, the main story, etc. should be done by the developers.
This is soo soo true. Not for RPGs only but all games. How can we as gamers that pay our hard earned money make a statement!

I for one have learnt my lesson several times over the last 2 years and I now refuse to buy a game on pre release or back a kick starter for the time being until game developers get their crap sorted. I will now wait for release and at least the first few patches. (At least I will save money now as waiting I will get the game on sale!!!)

I wish us consumers could have a little more power and make a statement or three!!! I wish we could make a change!!! (Pipe Dreaming I suppose???)

sbock
Novice

Post by sbock » December 3rd, 2014, 11:52 am

POLE7645 wrote:

My situation is the exact opposite. I recieved the email about this update, but no notification about the non-Steam disc. They're actualy ready to be shipped?
Good question. So what's the deal with the non Steam disc?
"You guys are my new boss after all" - Brian Fargo

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » December 3rd, 2014, 12:20 pm

sbock wrote:
POLE7645 wrote:

Good question. So what's the deal with the non Steam disc?
Essentially the email just serves as a "hey we didn't forget about this" note, we're not printing them yet because it makes more sense to us to hold that for some major patches and then print the patched up version to the disc. We'll get back to that later.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer