Update 44: FTW For The When

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.
banefane
Initiate

When I klick the links in the wasteland-update-email this happens:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /newsletter/lt.php on this server.
Apache/2.2.26 (Unix) Server at newsletter.sparkworkz.com Port 80

why? O_o
Brother None
Developer
badge image for 4o80c0.png

banefane wrote:When I klick the links in the wasteland-update-email this happens:

Forbidden

why? O_o
Not sure! Sparkworkz is our mail server for our PayPal mailing list and it does generate "click-through" links in the emails. Those usually work fine but you're right, there's something wrong with em now. We'll look into it.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer
Revolucas
Explorer

Haha, just say soon!
Disclaimer: "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between InXile Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, InXile does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as InXile will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."
ketilk
Novice

I will be away all next week, but maybe they get enough time to release linux beta before or soon after I get home again :)
cbu
Initiate

I used to worked in R&D.
I always hated the marketing guys for releasing the hw/sw while there are still Showstopper bugs just because they did not wanted to miss the deadline.. They always said release first, can be patched later...

That being said, some form of project management/control should still be in place.
Of course we all want the perfect product out for the best experience, and yes most of us are willing to wait..
But there should always be a limit and cut off point.
Should have a tentative deadline to work with, and only delay it if there are still major issues not ironed out by then.
There are never ending bugs to be fixed, and features to be implemented..
Two month after the initial deadline of dec 2013 and we are still in early beta and still could not come out with the next deadline, shows a lack of control and planning..
Need to be sit back a little, look at the whole picture and prioritise abit.
Even a deadline of lets say Jun 2014 or later is fine, it show that you know what you are doing.
I hope to see a next deadline set soon.

Just my personal two cents, no need to take to heart... I am willing to wait regardlessly, huge fan of WL1 :)
cunningandvalor
Scholar

cbu wrote: Even a deadline of lets say Jun 2014 or later is fine, it show that you know what you are doing.
They said that they are using the next three months to work on bugs so that we don't expect another major beta update before then. BF has already said in interviews that "some time in 2014" is the current "deadline". Which means that they will probably shoot for a launch date of October 2014. Based on the previous delays, I would expect the game to be "finished" and reviews of the game to start coming out in January 2015. I expect that Kickstarter backers will have all of their gear by summer 2015.

I don't think anyone doubts that they "know what they're doing", but we sure as hell don't know "what's going on". The last few weeks there has been some good info coming out, but this is in relation to almost a year where updates have been sporadic and void of substance. I will feel fine if they take as long as they want, with the condition that people who backed the game two years ago are kept in the loop. As it stands, Mac users will first get to play the beta next week, Linux users will probably have to wait until summer and some PC KS backers who are getting the game but didn't get the beta still can't update their packages to play the game while Steam users are getting early access. While they have always said that they would be building for PC first, the fact that it's this late in the game and some people don't have any idea what their pledge has gone toward is a problem. There are other inconsistencies too: why are the novellas late, when they are produced independently of the game?

Anyway, all of this is to say that I'm sure they know what they're doing, they just haven't done the best with communication - and they've admitted and apologized for that and are working to correct it. They don't have a deadline because they just don't know. At the end of this we are going to have a game that will go into the history books, but there might be an asterisk about communication and timeline estimation.
Hugalafutro
Acolyte

The UI changes keep getting better and better, absolutely love the new icons. Anything that pushes the UI away from console like lists (grid+icons ftw) and the pukeworthy "indie" pixelated text/icons is good in my book.

Keep up the great work and take whatever time you need! Don't release rushed update/game - we who really are invested in the game; be it financially or emotionally; know how to wait for the good stuff.
Kill me again or take me as I am,
for I shall not change.
Thrin
Explorer

cunningandvalor wrote: They said that they are using the next three months to work on bugs so that we don't expect another major beta update before then. BF has already said in interviews that "some time in 2014" is the current "deadline". Which means that they will probably shoot for a launch date of October 2014. Based on the previous delays, I would expect the game to be "finished" and reviews of the game to start coming out in January 2015. I expect that Kickstarter backers will have all of their gear by summer 2015.
Actually, what is written is this:
Kickstarter Update wrote: To outline our current plan: we will have the team working to lock down every aspect of the game within three months such that we are only addressing bugs.
Which means that they have three months to feature lock the game and THEN delve into a Beta test in a serious manner to fix bugs from that point onwards. Of course, in the meantime they will continue to fix bugs and create new bugs as they "iterate" the game.

That would put the earliest release time frame for Wasteland 2 in the Summer of 2014 assuming that three months is enough to reach a feature locked state and that it takes 60 days to fix all the bugs that exist at that point. Otherwise the release will slip into the fall of 2014 or even the start of 2015.
TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

sparkee666 wrote:
Drool wrote:Why are those poles wrapped in razor wire? It's just sort of hovering in a cloud and doesn't seem to serve much purpose.
it could be a way to deny cover to anyone trying to attack the camp.
I bet it is just the pole they use to store their extra razor wire.
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com
cunningandvalor
Scholar

Thrin wrote: Actually, what is written is this:
Kickstarter Update wrote: To outline our current plan: we will have the team working to lock down every aspect of the game within three months such that we are only addressing bugs.
Which means that they have three months to feature lock the game and THEN delve into a Beta test in a serious manner to fix bugs from that point onwards.
Ah, you're right. Their use of 'such' threw me off. Everything else I said is still on point, though. Yes, in a perfect world the game is feature-complete in June and bug-free in August, but based on the previous delays it's more likely that it will be targeted for Fall 2014 and slip to late 2014/early 2015. And we shouldn't expect another major beta update until late May at the earliest, but more likely late June/early July. And now that you've clarified that their main focus is getting the game feature-complete in the next three months, I wouldn't expect Linux users to get their hands on the beta until late July.

Again, not complaining, just trying to keep it realistic.
TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

+1 to keeping it realistic.

The Powerlessness of Positive Thinking: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/c ... l_facebook

I think one of the main reasons I've been able to not sweat the delays and super late Mac / Linux beta access is that I expect delays. As long as it appears forward progress is happening, I'm happy.
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com
Thrin
Explorer

cunningandvalor wrote: Ah, you're right. Their use of 'such' threw me off. Everything else I said is still on point, though. Yes, in a perfect world the game is feature-complete in June and bug-free in August, but based on the previous delays it's more likely that it will be targeted for Fall 2014 and slip to late 2014/early 2015. And we shouldn't expect another major beta update until late May at the earliest, but more likely late June/early July. And now that you've clarified that their main focus is getting the game feature-complete in the next three months, I wouldn't expect Linux users to get their hands on the beta until late July.

I'm with you on that.

Your timelines make sense to me as well and are in alignment with my thoughts.

Depending how badly written their code is.. err.. how buggy the game is we may see a release in Q1 of 2015 at this rate. Or late Q4 2014. They might force the product out the door (as in just say enough is enough) to hit a 2014 release just to finish it up and be rid of it then leave a skeleton crew on the game to finish the remaining bugs until it is DLC time...

After all, they need to really to start working on Torment.

We'll see how it all works out. I don't mind myself since I figure that, eventually, the game will be done.
Jack_Staynes
Initiate

I just want to say that I'm really looking forward to this and you guys take all the time you need as far as I'm concerned. Also a big thanks to all those kickstarter and Early access folks that have been playing though and giving them good solid feedback on bugs.

Still one of my most anticipated games of 2014
Brother None
Developer
badge image for 4o80c0.png

Brother None wrote:
banefane wrote:When I klick the links in the wasteland-update-email this happens:

Forbidden

why? O_o
Not sure! Sparkworkz is our mail server for our PayPal mailing list and it does generate "click-through" links in the emails. Those usually work fine but you're right, there's something wrong with em now. We'll look into it.
Alright, it was a problem with the mail server. The links should all work again now.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer
john irwin finster
Acolyte

Love these screenshots- the in-game visuals are great and the UI looks very much improved.
As you said in the update, take your time and continue making a kickass game!
Noble
Acolyte

The gamer in me died when I read 3 months. Don't think I don't know and appreciate you guys are trying to make sure it's as good as can be, but this wait bites. Added to it is that even after the three months you'll need to start getting all the physical stuff in order (if you haven't already) and shipped out, in addition to the final stages of production. I can only keep myself in the dark about a game for so long, but I will die on my hill.

~i will die on my hill~
ra2
Initiate

Any fixes / optimizations about video card overheating problem in this coming patch?
Nexus
Acolyte
badge image for 3rz1is.png

cunningandvalor wrote:
Thrin wrote: Actually, what is written is this:
Which means that they have three months to feature lock the game and THEN delve into a Beta test in a serious manner to fix bugs from that point onwards.
Ah, you're right. Their use of 'such' threw me off. Everything else I said is still on point, though. Yes, in a perfect world the game is feature-complete in June and bug-free in August, but based on the previous delays it's more likely that it will be targeted for Fall 2014 and slip to late 2014/early 2015. And we shouldn't expect another major beta update until late May at the earliest, but more likely late June/early July. And now that you've clarified that their main focus is getting the game feature-complete in the next three months, I wouldn't expect Linux users to get their hands on the beta until late July.

ERMAGERD! Level headed reasoning here. This is exactly what I was thinking. Feature locking the game in 3 months doesnt mean its anywhere ready for release so we still got a wait on our hands. I forsee late 2014/early15. I would love for someone like brothernone to come in here and say something like "yeah thats in the ballpark" but can understand why they wont/cant. :|

I'm fine with the wait as most original wastelanders are, we've waited 20+years. The wanted a 8-12 month release with a million bucks, so I figure the math is 3x the money, 3x the dev time makes some sense to me.
Wrock
Novice
badge image for 5p2s6t.png
badge image for 3rz1is.png
badge image for ijw2ib.png

Revolucas wrote:Haha, just say soon!
Nah, it's "We're waiting for the boxes" (wondering how many people here will get that reference)
Yuri
Explorer

Expecting the game to ship by original date after it took three times initial budget thus improving quality and scope of the game is stupid. I wish people stop being stupid and unreasonable. After kickstarter campaign ended I have assumed the new date will be somewhere in october 2014. So in my book they may still release this game on schedule.

Return to “Wasteland Series News & Announcements”