Multiple Saves vs. Multiple Instances, and a workaround.

Gameplay and technical help for the original Wasteland.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Multiple Saves vs. Multiple Instances, and a workaround.

Post by paultakeda » November 8th, 2013, 2:05 pm

On a quick glance it appears that the multiple saves is really multiple game instances based on a 2-8 character name. While playing in that instance you will still only have the single save slot that auto-saves on location change.

If so, then we should clarify "multiple saves": you have only one save slot for each game world instance, but you can have multiple game world instances.

So yes, new players of Wasteland, the game is, by default, in Ironman Mode. :o

There is a workaround should you really want to have multiple saves of a single game world instance.

These instances are, in Windows, located in %USER%\AppData\Local\inXile entertainment\Wasteland\ under their own folders, happily and conveniently named according to you when you started the game. For OSX and Linux, I'd expect they'll show up wherever user data gets stored.

You'll realize that each and every one of these folders contains complete copies of the game, in particular the important GAME1 and GAME2 files that are altered by saving the game.

If you want to keep multiple saves of a single game world instance, you can easily do so by starting one and when you save the game, go to the save game folder and copy the contents of the game you just saved to a new folder. Make sure you stick to the 2-8 character name (a DOS limitation, so avoid special characters: use just the 36 alphanumerics to be safe).

Infinitron
Adventurer

Re: Multiple Saves vs. Multiple Instances, and a workaround.

Post by Infinitron » November 8th, 2013, 2:09 pm

Thanks for this, I was just looking for the savegame directory myself!

Sxerks
Global Moderator

Post by Sxerks » November 8th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Also, the save game folder is in the same location if you install from the GOG or Steam version. So if you have it installed from both sources it will launch the same games.

If you happen to have a very old saved game, you can create a new game and copy you old GAME1 and GAME2 over that new save. Copying other old files may cause it to lock up, so only copy those two files.

sam ecorners
Initiate

Post by sam ecorners » November 8th, 2013, 5:43 pm

I still can't find the location of save file on OS X. Any ideas, anyone?

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » November 8th, 2013, 7:03 pm

sam ecorners wrote:I still can't find the location of save file on OS X. Any ideas, anyone?
Have you checked the "~/Library/"?

nukesnow
Initiate

Post by nukesnow » November 12th, 2013, 5:32 pm

This is also helpful if you ever want to see some old characters or even yse. You only need game1 and game2. However, good luck finding a floppy drive or in my case a 5.25 floppy.

QUAKE
Initiate

Post by QUAKE » November 18th, 2013, 1:27 pm

This is what I did:
I sync my savegames in DropBox, it has the advantage of "restore to previous version" in case I need to load an older save.

To have regular backups of your game in the cloud using a windows machine:

1. Shut down Wasteland if running
2. MOVE the inXile folder to your dropbox, from
"C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\inXile entertainment"
to
"D:\Dropbox\SAVES\inXile entertainment" (or whatever your dropbox is)
3. Open notepad, paste:
mklink /D "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\inXile entertainment" "D:\Dropbox\SAVES\inXile entertainment"
and change the directories to match yours
4. Copy the text with your directories.
5. Run CMD, rightclick paste, hit enter

That's it!
If you ever want to restore a save game because you/the game f*cked up, just close the game
1. Rightclick on wasteland folder in your dropbox
2. View on DropBox.com
3. Open your name folder
4. Sort by modified, it will be a file GAME1 or GAME2
5. Right click GAME~ file, previous versions
6. Select how far back you want, and click restore.
7. Wait for DropBox to sync and launch the game!
Don't worry, if you ♥♥♥♥ed up restoring a file too old, dropbox made a backup of the latest file .BU anyway.

ENJOY DWELLERS!

pedtrog
Explorer

Post by pedtrog » November 28th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Little tech tip :

At some point, Wasteland may fail to launch, even if reinstalled.
If you start it from a command prompt it will just display the error "SYSTEM:Autoexec.bat file overflow".
This is because there is too many folders in %USER%\AppData\Local\inXile entertainment\Wasteland.

To solve this, you must do some cleanup in the save directory.
In my case I had a save game called "x", then multiples saves (20), named "x - Copy(N)".
Yes I'm lazy, do a "right click - drag'n'drop - Copy here" on my save folder every now and then ;)

I post it here because making backup game copies will be the main cause of this error, I guess.

SirSac
Initiate

Post by SirSac » January 8th, 2014, 11:37 am

thought I would just post the save game directory for Wasteland 2 on, win7 (steam version) as this post served only to misguide me.

save directory wasteland (steam version) on win7 sp1:
C:\Users\[userName]\Documents\my games\Wasteland2\Save Games

(This goes for installs of the game and steam on a different drive as well. Ex: my steam and game are installed on my E drive and the save game is still on C)

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » January 8th, 2014, 12:34 pm

SirSac wrote:thought I would just post the save game directory for Wasteland 2 on, win7 (steam version) as this post served only to misguide me.

save directory wasteland (steam version) on win7 sp1:
C:\Users\[userName]\Documents\my games\Wasteland2\Save Games

(This goes for installs of the game and steam on a different drive as well. Ex: my steam and game are installed on my E drive and the save game is still on C)
The newer build may have moved the save games folder to a new location. Someone else should confirm this and I will edit the OP.

X-pert74
Initiate

Post by X-pert74 » February 16th, 2014, 1:32 am

A few years ago I started playing Wasteland through the Interplay 10 Year Anthology CD release, and kept backups of my saves as I played it via DOSbox. I now have the updated game on Steam, and I'd like to use my save (which was partway through the game) on Steam, so that I don't have to start over from the beginning. I have no idea how to get this to work though; I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, yet the directions in the OP don't work for me. I have no "AppData" folder in my "User" folder, yet Steam is somehow able to remember the multiple new games I've started in Wasteland 1 - The Original Classic. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do at this point, without an "AppData" folder.

wrkq
Acolyte

Post by wrkq » February 16th, 2014, 2:52 am

You do have it, it's just hidden.
C:\Users\<your login>\AppData\Roaming

You can either go to Folder Options in Control Panel, and enable showing of hidden files and folders (View tab, it's in the large list of options in lower half of the window), then click to it, or just type
%appdata%
with the percent signs in any of:
- Start menu search box
- Run window (hold Windows key, press R)
- Windows Explorer breadcrumbs/address bar (click at right side of it, it'll change from breadcrumbs to textbox).

(PS. There's a second folder - AppData\Local - some other games store stuff in there. The variable for it is %localappdata%. Difference between the two is not important if you're computer is not part of corporate domain, just remember to check both.)
Are you sure Desert Rangers haven't been to Mars?

X-pert74
Initiate

Post by X-pert74 » February 16th, 2014, 9:30 pm

wrkq wrote:You do have it, it's just hidden.
C:\Users\<your login>\AppData\Roaming

You can either go to Folder Options in Control Panel, and enable showing of hidden files and folders (View tab, it's in the large list of options in lower half of the window), then click to it, or just type
%appdata%
with the percent signs in any of:
- Start menu search box
- Run window (hold Windows key, press R)
- Windows Explorer breadcrumbs/address bar (click at right side of it, it'll change from breadcrumbs to textbox).

(PS. There's a second folder - AppData\Local - some other games store stuff in there. The variable for it is %localappdata%. Difference between the two is not important if you're computer is not part of corporate domain, just remember to check both.)

That worked for me; thank you! It's nice to be able to continue from where I left off, while having the new soundtrack.