New Highpool screenshot

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Tets
Master

Re: New Highpool screenshot

Post by Tets » August 6th, 2013, 3:15 am

Darkzone wrote:Dear Brother None please tell the developer team the following:
People what is always bothering me, is the grass, always the same grass.
Come on buy an different grass pack, i don't mean the one to smoke, and dsynchronize the grass in wave forms!! :evil:
In the demo it gives me motion sickness, the synchronized movement of the grass. :?
Think about it i have to play this game about nearly 30 hours. And the same grass looks also terrible cheap,
and generic.
the unity store has many free packs of natural environement, and for sure many cheap packs.

Darkzone
Adventurer

Post by Darkzone » August 6th, 2013, 4:24 am

Crosmando wrote:Lol grass, next they'll be complaining about the hand textures on Rangers

Graphics whores, graphics whores never change
Take a better look at what i am refering to, what is the statement and what i say about it. Sometimes reading it two times, helps. Because i am not complaining about the textures or that it looks bad in a manner that the graphic needs to be better, but to it as an resulting phenomenon caused by using the same asset over and over again.
Tets wrote:the unity store has many free packs of natural environement, and for sure many cheap packs.
Yes i know that (haved looked into it), and that is the thing.
They can and have the opportunity to use something else at nearly no cost, but this is becoming really terrible, the same grass moving in the same motion at the same time. In the demo i thought, ok it is only an prealpha state i can live with it, but since then every picture shown till now, has the same grass, as if there were no other in the unity store, perhaps they should ask the community to make them other grass pack, if they can't finde some other sods of grass. Someone else has also complained about that, i don't know where it was and till now it was only him, but i think it is time that i should also complain, and perhaps others also should do this, for the sake of looks of the game. Always the same sodes of grass, makes Wasteland 2 look cheep. Also the animation is the same making it move in the same motion and if this is time synchronized then it is ruining the whole picture, and makes me motion sick, and then i gona puke, if i don't shut it down or make a breake. :(
So please inXile do not make me puke, use different sodes of grass, and the game will look also better.
In the Wasteland every breath i take. I am.

Thank you Brian Fargo for the games i play.
Thank you Fields of the Nephilim for the music i hear.

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » August 6th, 2013, 5:18 am

Crosmando wrote:Fair enough.

Also those mutated Gila monitors remind me how awesome a Wasteland game in Australia would be, can you imagine the sheer terror of all the creepy crawlies we have here mutated to insane sizes :o
Giant kangaroos...or koalas!...GAH!!! :shock:
25 years and it's finally here...

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » August 6th, 2013, 6:52 am

Son of Max wrote:
Crosmando wrote:Fair enough.

Also those mutated Gila monitors remind me how awesome a Wasteland game in Australia would be, can you imagine the sheer terror of all the creepy crawlies we have here mutated to insane sizes :o
Giant kangaroos...or koalas!...GAH!!! :shock:
Drop bears :o
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » August 6th, 2013, 9:05 am

Obviously it's a still shot, so we can't address the "seasick" animation either way, but I think the grass looks great in this screenshot. In fact, all the plants look much more natural than in previous screenshots. They seem to have stopped doing the thing where they take one bush and place it five times in a row. I'm glad you brought it up, Darkzone ... because that bugged me before, and I didn't even notice what a good job they did fixing it :)

Lusankya
Novice

Post by Lusankya » August 6th, 2013, 9:26 am

I like this new screenshot a lot. Has a way "dirtier" look than the other one with the trains.

Darkzone
Adventurer

Post by Darkzone » August 6th, 2013, 10:46 am

@Zombra
the bushes do look ok, in a way i have only seen the same bush 3 times in same picture part, that is why i think ok, no problem. But if you look at the two demos (inventory and game play demo), you will see that the plants move synchronized, and are the same. In the game demo, it is really terrible for me. The problem that the seasickness results from the entire motion of all the plants in one direction, at the same time. If they would underlay a sin curve to the time of the animation, that would breake the synchrnization to the movement of the plants. Also it would help if they use different plants with different movement intervals. Take a good look at the grass and you wil see that there are only 3 perhaps different sodes, they are sometimes planted in different directions, but nothing else.
In the inventory demo you see it at the beginning, in the game play demo you see it the whole time while the rangers are walking outside.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » August 6th, 2013, 11:01 am

Darkzone wrote:In the game demo, it is really terrible for me.
Yeah. Bear in mind that that was 6 months ago. But I agree: it is pretty distracting in the inventory demo as well.

twofoldsilence
Initiate

Post by twofoldsilence » August 6th, 2013, 1:12 pm

Lookin' good!

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » August 6th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Zombra wrote:
Darkzone wrote:In the game demo, it is really terrible for me.
Yeah. Bear in mind that that was 6 months ago. But I agree: it is pretty distracting in the inventory demo as well.
My thinking is that a lot of this stuff will be tweaked and tuned closer to the release. Having someone do a "tarting up" run over areas that sort of thing.

I actually find it really refreshing seeing the different stages, and whilst it is good to remind them of things like this, don't get too caught up on the details. I'd love to see a series of images of the same area as it goes through different changes etc.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 6th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Woolfe wrote:Drop bears :o
Trip snakes!
Alwa nasci korliri das.

salt1219
Acolyte

Post by salt1219 » August 6th, 2013, 10:32 pm

Drool wrote:
Trip snakes!
Ecks ecks ecks, disc world.

A favorite of mine.
Mostly harmless.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » August 7th, 2013, 12:35 am

salt1219 wrote:
Drool wrote:
Trip snakes!
Ecks ecks ecks, disc world.

A favorite of mine.
Mine too, Terry is a fan of Aus, and I think he captured the spirit quite well, ugliness and all.

Especially "No Worries", it's sad that that term has fallen out of fashion here.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 7th, 2013, 1:06 am

Giant box jellyfish that sometimes comes onto land.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

tomatpaburk
Scholar

Post by tomatpaburk » August 7th, 2013, 4:21 am

After seeing this screenshot i get a cold chill for the first time.

I wouldnt call myself a "Graphics whore" as Crosmando so eloquently put it, I enjoy playing old games like Fallout and Baldurs gate and the outdated graphics doesn't effect me in the least.

But looking at this screenshot and some of the others that have been posted in the last couple of updates I feel that no progress has been made in the graphic quality. Some of the textures look horrible while others look great!

I wasn't struck by this in the game play video, so I pretty much put the bad textures in the screenshots down to unfinished locations. But as more and more screenshots have been posted the horrible textures remain.

No point to nitpick each screenshot in detail so ill just focus on the "dam" in the latest screen. The tower in the corner of the dam look like 3d boxes that have been stacked on top of each other, and the texture is tiny dirt grey texture that they have stretched over them. It doesn't resemble concrete in any way, it just looks like grey paint.

Then we have the lichen on the dam, looks like its been painted by a child with water colors. It doesnt look organic at all.

Its such a shame when there are other textures that look great, like the mountain on the left side, (even though some of that texture also has been stretched in a weird shape at one location.) and the cracked earth texture.

TΛPETRVE
Master

Post by TΛPETRVE » August 7th, 2013, 4:39 am

tomatpaburk wrote:Then we have the lichen on the dam, looks like its been painted by a child with water colors. It doesnt look organic at all.
That's because it's not lichen (a dry growth), but algae. And that's exactly what algae look like. The only problem I have with that part is that they use the same texture twice in a row.
This brotoflatron requires a strul!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » August 7th, 2013, 5:13 am

tomatpaburk wrote: I wouldnt call myself a "Graphics whore"
*Continues sperging about texture quality for 5 paragraphs*
Well, that's the thing innit mate. InXile could spend more time having their environmental artists sharpening up the textures in their already finished maps, OR they could not do that, just ignore the whiners and instead tell their artists to move onto more maps, so we get a bigger game :D
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Darkzone
Adventurer

Post by Darkzone » August 7th, 2013, 5:55 am

Crosmando wrote:Well, that's the thing innit mate. InXile could spend more time having their environmental artists sharpening up the textures in their already finished maps, OR they could not do that, just ignore the whiners and instead tell their artists to move onto more maps, so we get a bigger game
And that becomes more and more a great concern of mine.
What is better a big sprawling game or a game with good mechanics, good to customize, with good mod suport and superb to the detail? I think the later one because: The divine and the devil lies always in the detail.
I now begin to think that inXile has taken too much on a to large game story in scale, but they will not make the game good to the detail. Small but fine, would be in my thinking better.
Its not so that i suggest that Wasteland 2 will be bad, but for a masterpiece it still has a long way to go.
In comparison i think Fallout 1 is overall better, then Fallout 2, but Fallout 2 has a superb start.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » August 7th, 2013, 6:59 am

Modders will have hi res texture packs out a week after release. I'd rather inXile make a bigger game and let the crowd sharpen up.

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » August 7th, 2013, 7:16 am

I love how people are shocked that the game looks like the screenshots we've been seeing all throughout development. It's almost as if the game has a small budget! :o

Spoiler alert, guys: this is how the game looks. There's only so much three million bucks buys you, and we told them over and over again during preproduction to put as much of that as possible toward pure content creation, that the graphics only needed to be, you know, acceptable. This is what that attitude translates to.

And the old Fallouts absolutely did not look better. They look better in your memory, because Fallout did such a great job of sucking players into its world that the graphics didn't matter. It's like Torment; ninety percent of the models are the same blobby little ones painted different colors, but when you think back on it, you don't remember the models. Even most of the close-up portraits now look absurdly dated, like they were made out of foam and pipe cleaners. But you don't remember most of those, either. You remember the pictures Avellone and McComb's evocative prose painted in your head. You vividly remember looking out at the wasteland for the first time in Fallout, even though the game's perspective necessarily disallowed it, because the text activated your imagination.

The same's true of all the old cRPGs, Wasteland included. That's the sort of game we voted with our dollars to bring back. And I would bet money you'll forget the graphical limitations of Wasteland 2 within five minutes of booting it up. You'll be too busy adding detail to the scenery in your head. We're old-school RPG fans. That's what we do.

That said, yeah, the grass is a bit plastic-ferns-on-posterboard. I just don't care. Because the screenshot is easily readable and full of interesting details. It's just not drawn at the same level of fidelity as a next-gen AAA Emotionally Engaging Experience Of Emotion with GPU-taxing Xtra PhotoReal Ballsweat Particles. And that's fine by me.

Also, what Lucius just said.

I will say, though, that if the grass all swaying at the same exact speed truly does give Darkzone motion sickness, it would probably be good to investigate whatever the hell he just said about sine waves or whatever.

What? I'm bad at math. :lol:
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.