Update 29: How many squeezins can I fit in my bag?

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Re: Update 29: How many squeezins can I fit in my bag?

Post by Woolfe » June 25th, 2013, 6:09 am

Brother None wrote:
Hiver wrote:Hmm... maybe one of the reasons for the list is that nowadays a lot of people use gamepad controllers to play even on PC...
I use my gamepad controller for certain games. Really just platformers and racers tho.

WL2 is mostly mouse-driven so I'm not sure it'll be playable with a controller. I'd guess not, though we could patch it in later if need be.
Yup, one of the best things to happen for PC was cheap controllers, which came about because of consoles... :roll:

I will make full use of the mouse, I will probably have to occasionally lean in and type something, but I fully intend to end up with a sore back, because of the poor posture I invariably use in the name of comfort. Feet up on desk(well technically set of Drawers beside the desk, but desk stuff always ends up there too) Leaning back on dodgy $40 computer chair, that has a broken back and requires adjustment to ensure back doesn't fall off when initially sitting on it one hand on mouse, the other vaguely near the keyboard in case of necessity.

:lol:

Hmmm actually reading that, I should probably get a new computer chair before I kill myself... :roll: :lol:
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Hiver
Adventurer

Post by Hiver » June 25th, 2013, 6:23 am

Brother None wrote:
Hiver wrote:Hmm... maybe one of the reasons for the list is that nowadays a lot of people use gamepad controllers to play even on PC...
I use my gamepad controller for certain games. Really just platformers and racers tho.
WL2 is mostly mouse-driven so I'm not sure it'll be playable with a controller. I'd guess not, though we could patch it in later if need be.
Then there is nothing stopping you guys making a proper "grid" inventory. :twisted: ha!

- Okay, okay. Just kidding.

Ive got loads of people playing with gamepads, everything they can, really - and most games nowadays are either built for it originally or support gamepads anyway.

/
thanx for the answer.

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » June 25th, 2013, 8:17 am

Hiver wrote:
paultakeda wrote: To me the choice is dependent on game design. Tetris grids are useful when inventory is intended to be severely limited and forces the player to make choices.
I think ive said that "grid" doesnt need to be made for that "tetris" mechanics and that there is nothing forcing it to use tetris mechanics - at all - about five times already.
And I told you multiple times that I know what you are talking about and said my preference for grid UI is tetris encumbrance mechanics. And like those last times I said that if a grid is a different way of showing a list and the grid boxes have nothing to do with visual encumbrance then my preference is a list.

I think you are way too hung up on my preference for a tetris grid (note how I keep calling it that instead of just grid) to notice that I make a distinction between visual and encumbrance mechanics: grid versus list visual; and when looking at grids, tetris versus box versus stat encumbrance mechanics.

Hiver
Adventurer

Post by Hiver » June 25th, 2013, 8:36 am

yes, but you keep replying to me and talking about tetris grid. And your preferences.

ipso facto... :arrow: :idea: :roll:

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 25th, 2013, 8:39 am

Anyone played that new roguelike NEO Scavenger which is currently in beta?

Now that's my kinda inventory system
Matthias did nothing wrong!

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » June 25th, 2013, 2:27 pm

Hiver wrote:yes, but you keep replying to me and talking about tetris grid. And your preferences.

ipso facto... :arrow: :idea: :roll:
Yes, because your handle is Ronin73.

Cutter
Novice

Post by Cutter » July 10th, 2013, 12:22 pm

I see in the footage that you have ze Uzi 9mm. Do you also have the phased plasma rifle in the 40watt range?
Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large.

Felixg91
Adventurer

Post by Felixg91 » July 10th, 2013, 6:09 pm

"Yez, I am a Turminator, dats why I act so wooden"

quote from actor Arnold Swollenmember when asked about his role in a new movie.

:lol:

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 10th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Crosmando wrote:Now that's my kinda inventory system
That's one of the ugliest inventory systems I've ever seen in my life.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » July 11th, 2013, 1:34 am

Drool wrote:
It's a system that needs to be played to be appreciated.

OKDHN
Initiate

Post by OKDHN » July 11th, 2013, 5:09 pm

The list system is great in this demo don't you dare change it. :D Some other things could be different like the size of the character animations it takes up to much space in my opinion what would be better used for the List part, also that spring animation doesn't fit right.

But I guess it needs to be played to make a proper opinion can't wait for it. :)

Inca
Explorer

Post by Inca » July 11th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Crosmando wrote:
Drool wrote:
It's a system that needs to be played to be appreciated.
I played the demo. The game is addictive and interesting, but the inventory management is sort of a nightmare.
Good..Bad..I am the Guy with a Gun!

dlux
Novice

Post by dlux » July 12th, 2013, 4:13 pm

Check this out. Diablo 3 PC Inventory:

vs. Diablo 3 Console Inventory:

Wow, just look at that lovely (shitty actually) inventory list in the console version. The constant scrolling will be great fun in the console version. :roll: And we all know how much Drool loves to scroll, he would absolutely love the "superior" console version of Diablo 3. :)

Diablo 3 was originally designed solely for the PC, the grid/slot based inventory reflects this.
The UI of the console version is a complete redesign, and only for consoles. The PC version will obviously never have the inferior list based inventory of the console version.
Drool wrote:
dlux wrote:Why would you always need to see info like weight, value, etc?
Because unlike your beloved MMOs, weight actually matters in most cRPGs.
See, the characters have this thing called a "weight limit" which, stay with me now, limits the amount of weight they can carry. See, I don't need to look at 100 different items at once, because I won't be carrying 100 different items at once. Also, if I find new armor, and I want to compare it to my old armor, I can just look.

Instead of a pretty picture that tells me nothing, I can see what protection value it offers and how much it weighs. I can decide if it's a worthwhile switch. I can also see if it's worth lugging back to a store by looking at its value.
Maybe you should start a petition to have Inxile replace all enemies with floating blocks of text, because the "pretty" pictures/animations tell you nothing... :lol:

But seriously, you can do that with a slot/grid based inventory system too you know... :roll:
The only difference is that you don't have to scroll, scroll, scroll through your inventory like crazy, you just have to move the mouse pointer and are done with your comparison in a split second, and not in 5-10 seconds with a list based inventory. Here is an example from Diablo 3, and look, OMG, it shows even more info than just the value (!!) rofl:

Not to mention that it has been said about 50 times, YES, you can sort icons in a slot/grid based inventory system by weight, value, etc. It would be nice if you would not be so ignorant and finally accept this fact. Not to mention that it is also obvious that e.g. armor weighs more than a pistol, you don't need blocks of text to know this (unless you have the short term memory of a goldfish that is)

BTW: Did I ever say that I like MMOs? Nope, I never did. And FYI, I don't like MMOs. Funny how you think that I love them just because they use slot/grid based inventory systems. Not very logical... but maybe logic isn't one of your best assets, so I forgive you.
Last edited by dlux on July 12th, 2013, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » July 12th, 2013, 10:00 pm

You play Diablo 3, therefore your opinion is irrelevant.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » July 12th, 2013, 10:06 pm

dlux wrote:Maybe you should start a petition to have Inxile replace all enemies with floating blocks of text, because the "pretty" pictures/animations tell you nothing... :lol:
Hey, way to completely miss the point!
Alwa nasci korliri das.

dlux
Novice

Post by dlux » July 13th, 2013, 3:12 am

Crosmando wrote:You play Diablo 3, therefore your opinion is irrelevant.
I Play... Diablo? Really? How would you know? What makes you think I play Diablo just because I posted pics from Diablo 3 as an example? I posted pics from the console and PC versions, does this now mean that I play both versions or what? FYI I do not play Diablo, I have tried it, but I do not like it. It is too monotonous for me.

You guys and your false assumptions. Seriously. I just posted the pics to prove my point: CONSOLIZED GAMES USE INVENTORY LISTS. ;)
Drool wrote:
dlux wrote:Maybe you should start a petition to have Inxile replace all enemies with floating blocks of text, because the "pretty" pictures/animations tell you nothing... :lol:
Hey, way to completely miss the point!
Oh no, I understood you. I just decided an ironic statement would be the best way to respond to your crude and baseless comment.

Wile
Adventurer

Post by Wile » July 13th, 2013, 3:37 am

dlux wrote:You guys and your false assumptions. Seriously. I just posted the pics to prove my point: CONSOLIZED GAMES USE INVENTORY LISTS. ;)
So by your logic "list inventory -> consolized game", original Wasteland would be consolized game. Not using certain game mechanics because "console games use it", is really bad argument. Especially when even computer games have used it, without it being a console port.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » July 13th, 2013, 3:39 am

Apologies gentle readers for this rant. Feel free to not read this.

Jeebus. Would you guys stop beating this dead horse.

List based inventory does not equate to console games.

Sure it is easier to navigate a list based inventory in a console game. BUT SO FUCKING WHAT!!!

Here is a little but of trivia for you. YOU CAN ALSO NAVIGATE A LIST BASED INVENTORY ON A PC!!!!

Holy fucking shit.... The world is going to end...

Seriously this argument is fucked in the head. Those of you espousing List based is console only are not only fooling yourselves, but you are CLEARLY wrong because the original FUCKING Wasteland had a GODDAMN list based inventory.

Fuck me....

If you still want to argue the point, I know a place online that has instructions on the erection of structures for the crossing of flowing bodies of water.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » July 13th, 2013, 3:56 am

i dunno, morrowind had the same inventory on xbox as on pc - and it was perfectly fine. :?

maybe the diablo 3 console inventory is made for people with no opposable thumbs?

be that as it may, you'd have to be pretty inebriated not to be able to use it.
heck, the peeps who made that port inventory were hardly sober themselves, by the looks of it... :lol:

hello, my name is screen real estate! /johnny cash voice
marmelade & jam

dlux
Novice

Post by dlux » July 13th, 2013, 4:32 am

Wile wrote:
dlux wrote:You guys and your false assumptions. Seriously. I just posted the pics to prove my point: CONSOLIZED GAMES USE INVENTORY LISTS. ;)
So by your logic "list inventory -> consolized game", original Wasteland would be consolized game. Not using certain game mechanics because "console games use it", is really bad argument. Especially when even computer games have used it, without it being a console port.
:roll:

Wasteland is a 25 year old game where the technical capabilities of computers were strictly limited. Wasteland didn't even have a HUD for christs sake, how could anyone expect it to have a grid based inventory or other more advanced (modern) features that require more processing power and memory? The memory of Wasteland 1 was so limited by the floppies, that half (or even more) of the in-game text was printed in the freaking manual! Where is the space on the floppies for all of the icon graphics? Where is the space for the programming of the grid, etc? Correct, there wasn't any more space. Even if Interplay the would have liked to have implemented the greatly superior grid based inventory in Wasteland 1 - it was simply not possible or even feasable.

Wasteland 1 didn't have a HUD or even have any aninmations and was strictly 2D because of the limited capabilites of PCs back then. Should we limit the possibilites of this modern game even more and remove all animations, the HUD and make it strictly 2D or what? :roll: As you can see, your argumentation is fallacious. So yeah, please drop your "it was like that in the original" crude und baseless BS.

Anyway, I am talking about modern games, i.e. games that a produced in the present time. Wasteland 2 is a modern game, it is not from the PC stoneage like the original Wasteland. Modern console games always use inventory lists (or something very similar), because they don't have mice (duh). Just look at my Diablo 3 PC vs. console example above and feel enlightened.

Wasteland 2 will have a list based inventory like in any console game. Maybe this list based inventory is being implemented into the game because of time and money constraints. Maybe Inxile even argues: "why should the game have a decent inventory system, PC players are used to the inventory lists from ported console titles anyway... And we won't even have to redesign the inventory system when we port it to the PS4 and Xbox One! Double win!" :o
I am not saying that this is what Brian and the boys are thinking, but it is quite possible. In the end all that really matters is profit maximization $$$$$$$$
Woolfe wrote: Here is a little but of trivia for you. YOU CAN ALSO NAVIGATE A LIST BASED INVENTORY ON A PC!!!!
Yes. But it sucks. A true pain in the ass.

You can also play a racing game with the keyboard + mouse... but it sucks. You need a controller with an analog joystick + analog buttons.

And for the rest of your rant... just read this post.

EDIT: One paragraph was not written very good and hard to comprehend, so I edited it.
Last edited by dlux on July 13th, 2013, 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.