About cutscenes, and how you can help

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

sparkee666
Adventurer

Re: About cutscenes, and how you can help

Post by sparkee666 » May 19th, 2013, 11:46 am

how about the legened of captain walker cut scene idea like in Mad Max Beyond The Thunderdome but instead of captain walker it is done with the rangers. It would be a great shout-out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23SVHUPrUJ4

Tarhiel
Acolyte

Post by Tarhiel » May 19th, 2013, 4:30 pm

john irwin finster wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doteMqP6eSc
Just my random 2 cents.
Your 2 cents arte awesome :)
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing (George Bernard Shaw)

BubbaBrown
Explorer

Post by BubbaBrown » May 19th, 2013, 6:32 pm

I don't know. But, I know the theme of old school tech being taken to new limits would be a fun theme to play with overall. And that might be fun concept to play with in the style of the various cutscenes both in composition and creation.

On thing that comes to mind that really runs with such a concept is from the demoscene. TBL's Starstruck demo they entered at Assembly 2006 in the general demo category... And won. That's right. A demo made for an Amiga 1260 won against the latest PC demos.
Pouet Entry: http://pouet.net/prod.php?howmanycommen ... hich=25778
Capped.tv video: http://capped.tv/playeralt.php?vid=1214091572-1-0

There are some interesting elements and nice examples of how to really relate the mood and feel to the viewer that might be worth adapting.

Also, I always love when the elements used in a story are genuine. I always hated some of the phony filler for video and audio many movies use. Just another thing I have to suspend my disbelief with, especially when you hear and see the same recycled effects. And since this game does a lot of stuff with radios, it'd be nice to have some authenticity.

Imagine this playing out...

In a darkened room with various re-purposed computers derived from the 80's and 90's, a commanding officer stands behind and communications officer. The Comms officer constantly tweaks various radio equipment and inputs new instructions to the computers. Something resembling a heavily modified Commodore 64 is front of him.

Commander: What's this weird signal you've been getting.
Comms: Sir, it's occurring in the 10 meter band on one the frequencies we used to use a lot more. It's a sequence of numbers being repeated over and over again. I'll tune it in.

The Comms officer tunes into the frequency and the computer puts up a visual decoding of the Morse code message. (Let's say it looks like a 320x200 resolution with 256 colors). Over the Morse code message the numbers "1988 871" keep repeating on the screen. The audio is very weak, and distorted through amplification and processing. Occasionally, it goes out of phase and the numbers get garbled up, but the signal returns.

Commander: Odd...
Comms: It get stranger, sir. On a guess I decided to tried it as a frequency. 1988.871Khz. An an odd, non-standard frequency, but I got something on it. But...
Commander: But? But what?
Comms: I'll show you.

The Comms officer dials into the signal. Now a constant broadcast of some kind of encoded emits in bursts broken by long pauses of silence. The only message on the screen is this, as it's constantly repeated:

"SYSTEM FAILURE: 2113-10-01 23:58:00 TRANSMIT?"

Commander: Well? Have you responded yet?
Comms: No, sir. I got you immediately after I discovered this, sir.
Commander: Best not to keep it waiting. Send a "Y".
Comms: Yes, sir.

The heavily modified system puts up the low res 256 color image onto the screen with the audio stream in the background. There's a lot of interference as the image beams in. Line by line gets drawn on to the screen. The Commander backs away from the screen as a stern expression tries to hold back the dread boiling inside of him. The Comms officer leans towards the screen squinting.

Comms: Sir... Is that a-?
Commander: Yes. Pinpoint that signal as best as you can and get me a channel to Ranger HQ.

As the camera pans in, the low-res, limited color, and distorted image shows what it needs to...
Image created by sizing and dithering the Scorpitron background to 320x200 and 256 colors, then transmitting via fldigi using MSFK-64 at X4 speed to my laptop over the speakers... with AC running to bump up the background noise.

Overkill? Probably. But why cheap out? Why not have some fun in making it "real" down to the details. And talk about the atmosphere and precedence you could set with some of the starting cutscenes for the rest of the game.
My Random Efforts - http://www.bestwithstuff.com

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 19th, 2013, 7:17 pm

Great sequence, Bubba :)

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 19th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Nice bit of Fluff
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 19th, 2013, 8:48 pm

BubbaBrown wrote:<snip>
I would approve of this. That kind of thing would be pretty awesome.

Actually, it might make for a great mid-game cut scene to help explain why the Rangers are setting up a forward base in California. I mean, the Guardian's are nuts, but they keep to themselves (as far as they know), but getting word of a Scorpitron would get them good and worried.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 19th, 2013, 11:06 pm

The writers may have already come up with a reason for the Rangers to go West. If not, good thing we reminded them! :lol:

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » May 21st, 2013, 5:32 am

Zombra wrote:The writers may have already come up with a reason for the Rangers to go West. If not, good thing we reminded them! :lol:
:? We forgot.

Haha no, seriously though, this thread isn't about script suggestions, as the original post mentions we've got them written out already, but we're getting some good style ideas from here, so thanks.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Dr_Chaos
Initiate

Post by Dr_Chaos » May 21st, 2013, 9:30 am

Do it Blood Dragon style, 80s NES cutscenes all the way.

I'd pay extra for that.

Sinnorfin
Acolyte

Post by Sinnorfin » May 21st, 2013, 10:41 am

How about sand art?
Would fit perfectly, 'dirt' cheap all it needs is good storytelling and a capable artist, and Mark Morgan for a great ambient track ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEgSoTCgvgA (example , just in case)

kroska
Initiate

Post by kroska » May 21st, 2013, 8:46 pm

Sinnorfin wrote:How about sand art?
Would fit perfectly, 'dirt' cheap all it needs is good storytelling and a capable artist, and Mark Morgan for a great ambient track ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEgSoTCgvgA (example , just in case)
That's actually really cool.

Yeah that color scheme at least seems like in line with what Wasteland is in line with. 'sandy'

animated ink art would also work well too, like a animated comic. Broken Saints was a pretty cool art style for animated comic but for this game it would have be drawn out for the right effect. Much like that sand art video.

Stration
Initiate

Post by Stration » May 22nd, 2013, 9:43 am

I like the idea of a series of pictures that are being drawn as the narrator presents the story. It's much more captivating than a simple slide-show.

I'd much rather see something similar to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMIP3QvKxRg&t=1m24s than some crude sand "art" though.

kroska
Initiate

Re:  

Post by kroska » May 22nd, 2013, 5:55 pm

Stration wrote:I like the idea of a series of pictures that are being drawn as the narrator presents the story. It's much more captivating than a simple slide-show.

I'd much rather see something similar to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMIP3QvKxRg&t=1m24s than some crude sand "art" though.
Sepia, sepia needs to be everywhere. That's this games color theme im sure of it.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Re:  

Post by Woolfe » May 23rd, 2013, 1:18 am

kroska wrote: Sepia, sepia needs to be everywhere. That's this games color theme im sure of it.
Yuck
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re:  

Post by Zombra » May 23rd, 2013, 8:28 am

Woolfe wrote:
kroska wrote: Sepia, sepia needs to be everywhere. That's this games color theme im sure of it.
Yuck
Agreed.

lionroot
Initiate

Post by lionroot » May 23rd, 2013, 10:21 am

Don't know if this could fit but this guys made this video with: USD 300

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dadPWhEhVk

Now days he has directed the remake of The Evil Dead so don't know in what state he is or if he will be willing to help.
I only want to let you know of him and his work.

Good vibes

BubbaBrown
Explorer

Re:  

Post by BubbaBrown » May 23rd, 2013, 10:55 am

Zombra wrote:
Woolfe wrote:
Yuck
Agreed.
Ditto.

Now the classic EGA palette... Now we're talking!
My Random Efforts - http://www.bestwithstuff.com

Wile
Adventurer

Post by Wile » May 23rd, 2013, 11:03 am

Heh, EGA palette cutscenes would be nice throwback, but I don't think it would really fit. Maybe. 80's saturday morning cartoon style a la Blood Dragon wouldn't be that bad either. But it needs whole lot less sillyness, though.

But whatever they do, no shit brown filters.

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » May 23rd, 2013, 12:35 pm

I have this weird hunch that doing a black-and-white live-action tonal intro is the way to go. I have no idea why I think that, but it seems to fit, somehow.

I'd have to see what's outlined in the script, of course, but there would be something so beautifully weird and unexpected about starting the game and getting this little short film, particularly if there was a way to seamlessly transition to color and in-game graphics.

Am I crazy? :lol:
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

Ryan Keokuk
Initiate

Post by Ryan Keokuk » May 24th, 2013, 1:31 am

ArseFace wrote:
Ryan Keokuk wrote:I think all cutscenes should be done using ragged Crank Yanker style puppets, narrated by a weeping mother telling the story.

Then when you cut to the mother at the end, its a robot (m night shyamalan)
This.
I'm glad someone enjoys low budget awesomeness. Honestly the only thing holding that back, is the way the medium and industry have steered away from live action. I think there's a valid option in that idea although not for this climate.

It all depends on budget to be honest, If they're on shoe string stuff, well

I've some (a few) youtube examples of art styles that I think would be interesting.

This would be my highest hope type situation
example
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXFK82T ... 5&index=95

Next up!

Live action Miniature faking or tilt-shift video (its one of those meh) of maybe some live action nerds at the office in cosplay doing the scene with some cheap smoke effects and some filter work.

example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk9EBOOAYiU

I honestly think this would be amazing and be a complete awesome thing to see played out.

crap...out of ideas. Stop motion puddy work, legos gia joe figures, barbie dolls.. paper shadow puppetry