Batch 4 is up

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Brother None
Developer

Batch 4 is up

Post by Brother None » April 12th, 2013, 11:24 am

Batch 4 of WASTE has gone up, with a note:
So I suppose I should start this announcement with an apology. It has been some time since we announced a new batch, but I assure you it is not out of malice or lethargy. Rather, we were attempting to hold off in an effort include these requests as part of a larger GDC announcement by another company. Alas, that did not come to fruition as you may be aware. However, I am hopeful that despite the non-starter, the new feature will still move forward. I have every expectation that your efforts on these first few batches have provided enormous amounts of food for thought on how the thing should work, so thank you for your patience. But I digress, please accept our sincerest apology and bear with us a bit longer.

And so, I present... Batch 4! Here you will find a few old friends, assets we received some excellent submittal for, but the artists really would love to have even more variety of these frequently used props. Additionally, we are requesting our first "tile set" meshes. For those of you with prior tile set creation experience, you should feel pretty comfortable with the seed file we are providing. It is very basic, the building blocks we use for our larger tile set assemblies. For those of you that have never attempted a tile set, please bear in mind that snapping these along our 8x8M grid in Unity3D is critical, so that seams between mesh to mesh should be exacting. I am happy to provide specific advice on this front should you have any questions on how or why we are using these dimensions. The seed file is meant to be crude and nondescript, but if you are familiar with our released videos, you know that you have seen iterations in action. Of course, due to the nature of this more complicated asset, compensation is expected to be a bit higher. Expectations on quality are equally higher since they are so predominant in our scenes.

Tile Set Dimensions (.txt)

Tile Set Seed File (.unitypackage 481k)
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Takkik
Acolyte

Re: Batch 4 is up

Post by Takkik » April 13th, 2013, 5:12 am

The limit for the tile set, <3k tri & 1 1024map, it's for each piece or for the full tileset?
EDIT:
I know we can use a single texture for many modular pieces, so what would be the limit of texture map for a tileset?
Another question, is it possible to have 1/2 tiles, like half walls (for angled roof or rooms with highter roof), or walls only 4m large for more variety with modular pieces for seamless integration with 8x8m tiles ?

EDIT:
1 more question : Are roofs importants or they are here just for blocking. Since the camera is top/down, will they be show in some cinematic shots?

For help & inspiration, eat3d & Digital-tutors have released tutorials about modular design :
http://eat3d.com/blog/eat-3d/new-dvd-re ... -tor-frick
http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/8 ... vel-Design

EDIT:
Some gears of war 2&3 threads on polycount with modular environment stuff :
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62114
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthre ... nvironment
Last edited by Takkik on April 14th, 2013, 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

cw8
Scholar

Post by cw8 » April 13th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Yeah, that's my question too for the tilesets. Say I have a wall for a house, do we texture the wall as a single entity, i.e. 1 texture file to the wall, or texture the whole house as a single entity?

james___uk
Initiate

Post by james___uk » April 14th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Aside from reading I funnily enough learned the specifics of modular level asset creation from building this cave in the Skyrim creation kit, I thought 'ahh, so this does this because of this', etc. But still I've emailed some questions and I'll post my Q&As here if my email doesn't get buried XD But I'm sure it won't InXile are too awesome for that.

Really though in short, I've not really created tilesets or modular pieces in general much so this will be a bit of a learning curve for me!

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » April 15th, 2013, 1:12 pm

Hello Wastelanders,

I am hopeful that the Unity seed file and Tile Set Dimensions doc will answer most questions on the tile set, but I expect there are many that it will not, so I will address those as I can. Please post additional questions in the other "Ask inXile Thread & About This Forum" thread , this batch announcement thread is really just for that and I will be less likely to see new questions posted here. I will re-post these questions there and address other issues as well.

thanks,

Koy
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

james___uk
Initiate

Post by james___uk » April 15th, 2013, 2:45 pm

^ What he said XD

Prime8brain
Novice

Post by Prime8brain » April 15th, 2013, 8:30 pm

No idea what you are saying about the GDC announcement... but anyway, it's nice to see batch 4 :lol:

I'm not 100% sure which one I should pick.
A tileset sounds very interesting but I've never done that of course and it might be too difficult.

Radio Tower seams to be fun too. :)

Crocapaw
Initiate

Post by Crocapaw » April 16th, 2013, 10:15 am

Yay! Batch 4 is up :D There are so many choices, the water truck is tempting, but I think I'm gonna tackle the tileset.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 30th, 2013, 12:50 am

d-Koy wrote:I am hopeful that the Unity seed file and Tile Set Dimensions doc will answer most questions on the tile set, but I expect there are many that it will not, so I will address those as I can.
I have a question about double sided textures. What is the rule (of thumb?) with them in the cowd-sourced assets. Do you accept them? (And if not, do we really need to use duplicate-mirrored geometry to get the same same ~but more expensive effect?)

I'm a novice with Unity3d, but I read that you have to use a two pass shader to get double sided texturing.

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » April 30th, 2013, 11:00 am

Gizmo wrote:
d-Koy wrote:I am hopeful that the Unity seed file and Tile Set Dimensions doc will answer most questions on the tile set, but I expect there are many that it will not, so I will address those as I can.
I have a question about double sided textures. What is the rule (of thumb?) with them in the cowd-sourced assets. Do you accept them? (And if not, do we really need to use duplicate-mirrored geometry to get the same same ~but more expensive effect?)

I'm a novice with Unity3d, but I read that you have to use a two pass shader to get double sided texturing.
I answered your question in the other thread so that other participants might follow...

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.c ... &start=180
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

james___uk
Initiate

Post by james___uk » April 30th, 2013, 11:15 am

Have you guys gotten enough submissions for everything? I'm working on a radiation station now but if you need something done some of us could probably do it in the next few days ;D

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » May 1st, 2013, 10:39 am

james___uk wrote:Have you guys gotten enough submissions for everything? I'm working on a radiation station now but if you need something done some of us could probably do it in the next few days ;D
As for Batch_04, we don't know yet actually, we haven't received any packages from Unity just quite yet. As for other Batches, we did have a few "back by popular demand" requests in 4, so we are hoping for a few more of those... but again, we might be getting some in the next few days? Will be sure to include additional BBPDs in batch 5 if we are still deficient on any particular set.

Thanks for asking!
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

james___uk
Initiate

Post by james___uk » May 1st, 2013, 11:00 am

Great, also, a batch 5 you say??? :D

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » May 1st, 2013, 11:25 am

james___uk wrote:Great, also, a batch 5 you say??? :D
LOL, yes, we ARE trying to actually get another batch put together to release before 2014 :P

Our concept artist is stretched thin these days, well, as we all are... but this is not critical path so I get less love than I should.

We have a few already, and more on the way, so a new batch to be posted in the coming weeks.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

james___uk
Initiate

Post by james___uk » November 8th, 2013, 7:15 am

^ Hope that's coming along well! Also I did submit some assets eventually a couple weeks ago, although they may have been 6 months late.... *cough*

ShaneD53
Novice

Post by ShaneD53 » May 10th, 2014, 10:52 pm

d-koy left the team around mid-2013 and it seemed he was the one coordinating this so that explain why Batch 5 never appeared. just some closure I guess.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » May 11th, 2014, 3:30 am

thx for the information