Ask inXile Thread & About This Forum

The place to ask detailed technicaly questions about the crowdsourced assets experiment, and to post and discuss WIPs if you so desire.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

d-Koy
Acolyte

Re: Ask inXile Thread & About This Forum

Post by d-Koy » January 2nd, 2013, 3:26 pm

Da_BoS wrote:OK the normals have been done and the subdivide goes well also and was having a bit of an armature deformation problem which BrentOGara has just helped with (thankyou), sorry for the delay just about got the hang of Blender now so I'll have them finished for the end of the week.

I was watching the upload to Unity video and my question was this; is it necessary to have or create a website, is it essential criteria for uploading my rock pack?
Not to my knowledge, seems like that would be a bit of a silly requirement. Please let me know if you have any difficulty without one.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

Boredom
Novice

Post by Boredom » January 2nd, 2013, 10:18 pm

d-Koy wrote:
Boredom wrote:Hi,

I've got a few questions, if you don't mind my asking:

1. What the best way to submit my Lab Equipment asset (as shown here and here). Altogether as one asset, or should I separate them in any particular way?

2. Is .obj fine? The folder is called FBX and I'm a little OCD about putting an .obj in there, although it's my personal format of choice.
Typically, I would keep the desk as one mesh and the accessories as another. if the accessories are very low poly and using the same textures, they can and should be a single mesh for performance reasons. This allows us to use the desk a few times in any given scene without the same accessories arranged the same way showing up on every one. They can be joined together in Unity as a Prefab (and this way other Prefabs can be made using a different arrangement with the same desk).

fbx is typical it seems for unity, though i believe obj is also supported.
fbx is nice in that it can maintain additional info like sub-object naming, material and texture assignments, etc. but that doesn't really need to be embedded for this particular application.

Thanks for the answer! Unfortunately, I got a bit antsy over the looming deadline so I submitted the desk + lab stuff + gurney already as a single prefab. Should I just resubmit with correctly split/combined objects? I submitted them as "lab equips" but perhaps the desk and gurney should be separate items... Hmm.

Da_BoS
Acolyte

Post by Da_BoS » January 3rd, 2013, 7:48 am

d-Koy wrote:Not to my knowledge, seems like that would be a bit of a silly requirement. Please let me know if you have any difficulty without one.
Thanks d-Koy, well the rocks are finished :) 55 of them but I've still something to sort out, I can import my rocks to Unity ok and then I drag in my image texture and my normal map I can apply both to the rock model np, but the overlay on my model with normal map and then the image texture goes on ok but the normal map doesn't seem to be making the image texture bumpy, any ideas?

Kryptex
Novice

Post by Kryptex » January 3rd, 2013, 12:23 pm

I'm not sure if this is the problem for you, but it might be. When using the Unity editor, your graphical settings for the viewports may be lowered so that you can have a smooth workflow. If my terrible memory serves me correctly, you can change this under Edit -> and either Project Settings or Render Settings, I think the latter. Turn this up all the way to either beautiful or fantastic. (Can't remember which one is the highest.) This should make the normal map appear.

When you put the textures on it, did you use the material settings in the Inspector window? If not, click the item in question, and you should be able to find the material for it. Make sure that it is either set to Bumped Diffuse or Specular Diffuse. This should give you the option for a normal map and a diffuse map. Then simply plug each in. Also, if you still don't notice a change, there is sometimes hidden a little message in the Inspector window that says Unity needs to "fix" the normal map. Make sure to do this, otherwise Unity will not recognize your normal map as one.

If none of these things help, I'm at a loss, but I hope at least one of these ways works!

Da_BoS
Acolyte

Post by Da_BoS » January 4th, 2013, 4:00 am

Kryptex wrote:I'm not sure if this is the problem for you, but it might be. When using the Unity editor, your graphical settings for the viewports may be lowered so that you can have a smooth workflow. If my terrible memory serves me correctly, you can change this under Edit -> and either Project Settings or Render Settings, I think the latter. Turn this up all the way to either beautiful or fantastic. (Can't remember which one is the highest.) This should make the normal map appear.

When you put the textures on it, did you use the material settings in the Inspector window? If not, click the item in question, and you should be able to find the material for it. Make sure that it is either set to Bumped Diffuse or Specular Diffuse. This should give you the option for a normal map and a diffuse map. Then simply plug each in. Also, if you still don't notice a change, there is sometimes hidden a little message in the Inspector window that says Unity needs to "fix" the normal map. Make sure to do this, otherwise Unity will not recognize your normal map as one.

If none of these things help, I'm at a loss, but I hope at least one of these ways works!
Thanks Kryptex, (snip) Thats worked great mate, thank you again :) Normals are working.

Kryptex
Novice

Post by Kryptex » January 4th, 2013, 1:36 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I am eager to start working on the next batch of items!

-However-

I'm almost certain that it's been asked before about deadlines, but if the next batch of concept art hasn't come in, should we bother continuing to work on the past batch? (because I, and I'm sure others, would love to! :) )

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » January 4th, 2013, 8:26 pm

Kryptex wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I am eager to start working on the next batch of items!

-However-

I'm almost certain that it's been asked before about deadlines, but if the next batch of concept art hasn't come in, should we bother continuing to work on the past batch? (because I, and I'm sure others, would love to! :) )
I'm still working on batch 1 items ~I wasn't able to work on them at all for over a week and a half; so I'm way behind. I will likely skip batch 2 and start on batch 3 after I finish (upload) the ones I'm working on.

Boredom
Novice

Post by Boredom » January 6th, 2013, 2:35 am

Gizmo wrote:
Kryptex wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but I am eager to start working on the next batch of items!

-However-

I'm still working on batch 1 items ~I wasn't able to work on them at all for over a week and a half; so I'm way behind. I will likely skip batch 2 and start on batch 3 after I finish (upload) the ones I'm working on.
I suspect my submissions will be really delayed when Unity finally reviews them and requests resubmission. I just have a feeling I did something wrong in my submissions so I'm antsy about it. :P

Da_BoS
Acolyte

Post by Da_BoS » January 6th, 2013, 3:11 am

I was wondering when I bring my Textures into Unity I see theres an option in Inspector called Wrap Mode with two choices "Repeat" & "Clamp" should I be tinkering with this and choose "Clamp"?

And what size should the texture size be, I work in cms so should my rock image tex be 5cm x 5cm or larger 20cm x 20cm for scaling up the rocks if necessary?

I've done a lot of rocks do I include the actual Blender files I created them in or just the .fbx with texture & normalmap?

(update) I'm sure you'll let me know, finally got the pack uploaded lol it didn't want to go quietly that's for sure :evil:

Did 63 rocks in the end, think the pack size was about 30mb, around that.
Last edited by Da_BoS on January 9th, 2013, 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

zelmund
Initiate

Post by zelmund » January 7th, 2013, 7:35 am

Hi gues. When you will post a next Batch? Done with junky house and wanted to do something new, but dont know what you still need.

FeelTheRads
Acolyte

Post by FeelTheRads » January 7th, 2013, 10:16 am

How long does it take for these uploads to be reviewed? Are any of the assets that have been accepted by inXile out of the "Pending review" status?

I have one upload from 2012-12-10 that is still "Pending review" and another from 2013-01-02 with the "New" status.

PowerPointRanger
Initiate

Post by PowerPointRanger » January 8th, 2013, 5:39 am

FeelTheRads wrote:I have one upload from 2012-12-10 that is still "Pending review" and another from 2013-01-02 with the "New" status.
Well, according to what I've been told by Unity employees, if it's pending review without any changes in status for a significant time period, it means that it has already been sent and they are simply waiting for InXile to greenlight the asset.
However, I have no idea how this process is supposed to work from InXile's side of things, so any comments would be really appreciated.

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » January 9th, 2013, 4:26 pm

PowerPointRanger wrote:
FeelTheRads wrote:I have one upload from 2012-12-10 that is still "Pending review" and another from 2013-01-02 with the "New" status.
Well, according to what I've been told by Unity employees, if it's pending review without any changes in status for a significant time period, it means that it has already been sent and they are simply waiting for InXile to greenlight the asset.
However, I have no idea how this process is supposed to work from InXile's side of things, so any comments would be really appreciated.
Many many apologies folks, we have been really busy working on some fun and interesting things you'll see sometime soon. And your assets have all been so great, it's been a little overwhelming going through them all and determining which we can use in game.

Please be patient, we are sending out our first batch of acceptance letters with instructions momentarily, and will be uploading a new set of requests as well! I am REALLY excited to see what you all do with the next round. You'll need your thinking caps on because we are challenging you to do some creative reinvention!

Also, the deadlines are there for a reason, but it is not to imply a cut off date for submittals. We want to keep some sort of competitive spirit alive and reward the 'best of the best' that got them in on time, which we will be featuring through some promotional efforts. If you are submitting things past the deadline, that perfectly fine. There is some chance that we are so over-saturated with submittals from that category that we might not have any room left in our production, but then again, if it's an outstanding prop, we might not be able to resist ;) Please press on!

That is all, thank you.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » January 9th, 2013, 4:28 pm

Boredom wrote:
d-Koy wrote:
Boredom wrote:Hi,

I've got a few questions, if you don't mind my asking:

1. What the best way to submit my Lab Equipment asset (as shown here and here). Altogether as one asset, or should I separate them in any particular way?

2. Is .obj fine? The folder is called FBX and I'm a little OCD about putting an .obj in there, although it's my personal format of choice.
Typically, I would keep the desk as one mesh and the accessories as another. if the accessories are very low poly and using the same textures, they can and should be a single mesh for performance reasons. This allows us to use the desk a few times in any given scene without the same accessories arranged the same way showing up on every one. They can be joined together in Unity as a Prefab (and this way other Prefabs can be made using a different arrangement with the same desk).

fbx is typical it seems for unity, though i believe obj is also supported.
fbx is nice in that it can maintain additional info like sub-object naming, material and texture assignments, etc. but that doesn't really need to be embedded for this particular application.

Thanks for the answer! Unfortunately, I got a bit antsy over the looming deadline so I submitted the desk + lab stuff + gurney already as a single prefab. Should I just resubmit with correctly split/combined objects? I submitted them as "lab equips" but perhaps the desk and gurney should be separate items... Hmm.
Heh heh, no worries, if it came in funny, I am sure we will either fix it up here in house (or look for a resubmit if you sent one). So far very very few submittals are so out of whack that we cant get them in line with our needs, and I can say with some certainty your's is not one of them.

But thanks for going the extra mile, it is appreciated.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

Kryptex
Novice

Post by Kryptex » January 9th, 2013, 6:24 pm

d-Koy wrote:
Many many apologies folks, we have been really busy working on some fun and interesting things you'll see sometime soon. And your assets have all been so great, it's been a little overwhelming going through them all and determining which we can use in game.

Please be patient, we are sending out our first batch of acceptance letters with instructions momentarily, and will be uploading a new set of requests as well! I am REALLY excited to see what you all do with the next round. You'll need your thinking caps on because we are challenging you to do some creative reinvention!

Also, the deadlines are there for a reason, but it is not to imply a cut off date for submittals. We want to keep some sort of competitive spirit alive and reward the 'best of the best' that got them in on time, which we will be featuring through some promotional efforts. If you are submitting things past the deadline, that perfectly fine. There is some chance that we are so over-saturated with submittals from that category that we might not have any room left in our production, but then again, if it's an outstanding prop, we might not be able to resist ;) Please press on!

That is all, thank you.
On behalf of everyone that's been nervous about pending statuses, I want to thank you! Even if I/we don't get our assets accepted, it's nice to hear that you all are working so hard! I can't wait to see the latest stuff that you folks have cooked up :)

FeelTheRads
Acolyte

Post by FeelTheRads » January 9th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Did you get the second batch of submissions from Unity yet? I'm wondering because my second upload (which is for the second batch) is still in "new" status. The first one got to "pending review" quite fast...

Boredom
Novice

Post by Boredom » January 10th, 2013, 3:07 am

@d-Koy

Thanks so much for the answer. I'd also like to second what was said above - even if my assets don't make it in, this has been awesome.

Although I do hope for more batches, as I've warmed up considerably since my earlier submissions (been away from 3d modeling for quite a while). :D

Prime8brain
Novice

Post by Prime8brain » January 16th, 2013, 2:24 am

I have a question about the batch 3 drones.
Most of them have movable parts likes arms, hips, legs and so on.
Shall we rig them or just separate the objects, which might be even easier to control in this case?

Cheers

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » January 16th, 2013, 7:47 am

FeelTheRads wrote:Did you get the second batch of submissions from Unity yet? I'm wondering because my second upload (which is for the second batch) is still in "new" status. The first one got to "pending review" quite fast...
Short answer, yes, long answer, we haven't gotten through all of them yet.

As I mentioned before, we really are taken aback by the number of submittals, and the quality of the work, so it's been a more difficult challenge to manage them, albeit a challenge we are very very happy to meet. Additionally, the end of year break interrupted the process a bit, but we are picking the pace back up and are working to get all the great work into our pipeline.

Sorry for any delays. This is a new process for us and we are confident that as we get past the first batch (including getting people paid and getting their assets up in the store), future efforts will turn around more quickly.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment

d-Koy
Acolyte

Post by d-Koy » January 16th, 2013, 7:56 am

Prime8brain wrote:I have a question about the batch 3 drones.
Most of them have movable parts likes arms, hips, legs and so on.
Shall we rig them or just separate the objects, which might be even easier to control in this case?

Cheers
Ah, I knew the was coming :)

Yes, they do have movable parts, and we have the intention to animate them, I avoided discussing this as part of the batch release because I didn't want to scare off less experienced contributors thinking they can't handle that level of complexity. I assumed I would pull them apart in-house by breaking the seams where appropriate and capping open edges where necessary.

But I digress, yes, please keep moving parts as separate separate objects. That will help us get them moving. And on that note, I will coordinate with our Lead Animator Josh Jertberg and make sure his won't be angry with me for putting the Drones out to the fans :P

If you want to rig them, feel free, but it is certainly not a requirement.
dKoy vanOteghem
enviroArtist
inXile entertainment