Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

One week "Ask A Dev" event. Closed to new threads.
paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

Post by paultakeda » December 14th, 2012, 10:06 am

Many of us are very interested in the ruleset. Not only as a sort of technical reference for WL2 but also as a potential ruleset for PnP.

If so, when (pre/post game release)?

RangerKeenan
Developer

Re: Will the WL2 MSPE-based ruleset be published?

Post by RangerKeenan » December 17th, 2012, 9:54 am

Hey Paul,

We don't currently have plans to release the ruleset for PnP. Our focus during the setup and design of the main systems is for it to work in the CRPG environment first and foremost. That said, we will release the ruleset for technical and gameplay reference similar to the way strategy guides do it. We want the community to go crazy modding the game post-release and knowing the ruleset is an important part of that.

Chris Keenan
Producer/Designer
Chris Keenan
VP of Development
@RangerKeenan

Temaperacl
Scholar

Post by Temaperacl » December 17th, 2012, 10:48 am

First, thanks for the response - the focus on CRPG makes sense and that you are looking to release the ruleset is obviously the response we were hoping for

As one of the people who was interested in the game mechanics of the ruleset, Is there more insight (realizing that you don't want to make firm commitments) into the time aspect of the question? While I assume some information will come in bits and pieces (Like the skill names and some information about the calculations for certain skills that already came out), would we be looking at getting more comprehensive (if not finalized) information during pre-beta flux, in time for the Beta (In order to help us identify corner cases for testing), or would we be waiting until release itself? Or will it most likely just be an informal growth of released information as time passes, capped by a formal release at/post release?

Also, could you (or someone else) elaborate on
DarkTwinkie wrote:That said, we will release the ruleset for technical and gameplay reference similar to the way strategy guides do it.
a little? I'm just not quite sure what is meant by this. :oops: [I just haven't read official strategy guides and the unofficial ones have been for TB strategy games and so are basically tables of movement costs, CRTs and unit stats]

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » December 17th, 2012, 11:36 am

Certainly the CRPG comes first. I am just hoping that whatever is released (and I am glad there is a plan to reveal the ruleset) is easily convertible to a PnP ruleset, which means I hope to see a lot of detail in released information.

Thanks for replying!

McDougle
Adventurer

Post by McDougle » December 17th, 2012, 11:39 am

DarkTwinkie wrote:Hey Paul,

We don't currently have plans to release the ruleset for PnP. Our focus during the setup and design of the main systems is for it to work in the CRPG environment first and foremost. That said, we will release the ruleset for technical and gameplay reference similar to the way strategy guides do it. We want the community to go crazy modding the game post-release and knowing the ruleset is an important part of that.

Chris Keenan
Producer/Designer

Another shiver... YES we will mod the hell out of WL2! :)

Which leads me to post another question...
>When I said “no” I felt like a kid who had to stay inside and practice the piano while all his friends got to go eat ice cream and have awesome sex on the moon.<Pat Rothfuss
Shadowrun Returns videos (LetsPlays, Editor Tutorials, Modding)

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 22nd, 2013, 12:16 pm

I wonder if the ruleset will be explained just for the CRPG. Leaving aside the possibility of P&P, it would be cool for us "power gamers" to understand just what's going on under the hood when we fire a shot or try to pick a lock.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » October 22nd, 2013, 12:18 pm

The game is pretty clear in explaining underthehood decisions, yeah. Probably still some work to do there but we'd rather show and explain what's going on than hide it all as most modern RPGs seem to do.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » October 22nd, 2013, 12:23 pm

Cool! Thank you!

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 22nd, 2013, 3:48 pm

Thank you indeed, I am definitely one of those who are interested in the under the hood workings.

:D
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » October 23rd, 2013, 4:35 am

Good old times returning, indeed. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » October 23rd, 2013, 12:39 pm

Brother None wrote:The game is pretty clear in explaining underthehood decisions, yeah. Probably still some work to do there but we'd rather show and explain what's going on than hide it all as most modern RPGs seem to do.
Awesome.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » October 23rd, 2013, 2:04 pm

No old school manual would be complete without including some explanation of the rule set!

It's great to see it confirmed none the less :)
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo