The Bard's Tale Trilogy - Bugs or Not Bugs?

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: The Bard's Tale Trilogy - Bugs or Not Bugs?

Post by Gizmo » April 24th, 2019, 11:17 am

Well the arm band would probably get the —banned— in Germany.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 24th, 2019, 12:53 pm

ZiN wrote:
April 24th, 2019, 10:51 am
- An awful lot of "magic chains" (aka "stuck") and "smoke in your eyes" squares made it into different maps, such as Kinestia and Tarmitia, which I don't remember being there.
I believe they just copied the data over. Could be memory; we're all getting old.
- In Tenebrosia, the wall you're supposed to cast PHDO or WAWA on is not a real wall anymore, but an illusionary wall, so you don't need the spells to reach Sceadu.
Feh. That shouldn't be there. Believe I mentioned it before, and I think it was an issue of getting invisible walls to work right. Might have fallen through the cracks.
- The loot tables of Malefia are weird, I'm getting mostly low level drops such as regular chain mails, long swords, etc. (Thus, I gave up trying to get that coveted Staff of the Gods.)
Dude, Chain Mail is totes OP.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Oldschool Roleplayer
Scholar

Post by Oldschool Roleplayer » May 20th, 2019, 1:38 pm

redwinclass wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 5:24 am
Shouldn't earth and stone creatures be immune to this class of attack? Just saying. Not sure how the originals did it

Fire creatures - immune from breath and burn attacks,
ice creatures etc. etc.
In BT3, some monsters were resistant (1/2 or 1/4 dmg) or weak (1.5--2X dmg) to certain attacks. I've noticed this hasn't been implemented in the Krome version.

Belisarius
Initiate

Post by Belisarius » May 28th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Just registered to post here that my Bard's Tale 1 crashed for the first time last night in level 2 of the sewers after an hour of play! aargh. I had more than 20 hours of playing the game, so I found this first crash unusual. The screen froze but sound continued and so did the menus. I tried to feel my way into a save mode without success, and then the game stopped responding. It did not autosave and I lost an hour of game play.

Not sure if there is another way of reporting crashes.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » May 28th, 2019, 6:43 pm

The devs check the Steam forum more than here, I think. People tend to be pretty active in reporting bugs over there. (Not saying it won't be seen here, but you have a higher probability that it will be seen in a timely manner on Steam.)

Also, my guess is that the devs are going to want to know the standard stuff like system specs and whether you have a save file that they can inspect.
cmibl<enter>

fewerlaws
Initiate

Post by fewerlaws » August 14th, 2019, 1:53 pm

The Wizard in Bard's Tale I with Legacy Options enabled is not able to wear the following items that they could wear in the original game.

Buckler
Leather Armor
Leather Glvs
Mthr Gloves
Dmnd Dagger
Lorehelm
Spectre Mace
Death Dagger
Spectre Snare

This makes the Wizard class less powerful, and less worth the amount of experience it takes to level one up, especially at higher levels. Please fix this by making the items equipable just like they were in the original game: http://bardstale.poverellomedia.com/the ... items.html

Also, there is a performance issue with the game, where it becomes laggy depending on what Windows 10 Professional is doing. If you click on the "Notifications" button in the System Tray, and then click away, then suddenly the game becomes fast. Finally, is there a way to reduce the time it takes to load a saved game, or even load using a hotkey rather than mouse clicks? For people who like to maximize their rolls at the Review Board, having to do mouse clicks is tedious and carpel tunnel inducing. Thanks!

jamespodesta
Explorer

Post by jamespodesta » August 14th, 2019, 3:48 pm

F5 quick save
F6 quick load

tends to be the preferred method for save scumming at the review board.
Lead Programmer
Krome Studios.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » August 14th, 2019, 4:50 pm

Save-scumming at the review board could [should ;) ] have caused a printed message:

"The girls are not impressed"

Dareios_19
Initiate

Post by Dareios_19 » August 15th, 2019, 4:04 pm

4.28 introduces a lot of enhancements and new features but the non-steam version on GOG has an issue with 'forced' switch to localized version depending on the OS region, i.e
there's no option to change language back in the game. However , Many people started BT already in the 80s and seek to continue in EN.
Also , even high qualitity translations suffer from terminoly people are used to in EN (eg. "hmm, I don't recall is "XY" a conjurer or magician .)

This has also been reported in the GOG forums, people there start to patch ressource files ;-).

We would need to have advice by the devs what can be done, eg. is there a commandline option ?
Please help - this is annoying

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » August 16th, 2019, 11:41 am

It has to do with how GOG is set up that the build is that way. As you know, there's a current workaround there on GOG for those people who want to change the language to another: https://www.gog.com/forum/the_bards_tal ... e_settings

Dareios_19
Initiate

Post by Dareios_19 » August 17th, 2019, 3:49 am

phimseto wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 11:41 am
It has to do with how GOG is set up that the build is that way. As you know, there's a current workaround there on GOG for those people who want to change the language to another: https://www.gog.com/forum/the_bards_tal ... e_settings
Thanks.Given the excellent support on this product I trust however that an official GOG build addressing this non-trivial issue is going to be released more sooner than later.
Buying a Steam version in addition as described in the above linked post is no option . There are still people who prefer indenpendent solutions like GOG
over overbearing Steam ;-)

Cam0_TaNK3rou3
Initiate

Post by Cam0_TaNK3rou3 » August 30th, 2019, 5:31 pm

I downloaded the game on my XBox One this past Sunday 25 Aug 2019 and started Legacy mode first and then the new updated mode. In Legacy mode the Rogue doesn't have the Identify skill and the Magician doesn't have Quick Fix. Is this a known issue or something new? Thanks for any reply.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 30th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Cam0_TaNK3rou3 wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 5:31 pm
In Legacy mode the Rogue doesn't have the Identify skill and the Magician doesn't have Quick Fix. Is this a known issue or something new?
Neither, it's Legacy Mode. Rogue identification didn't exist until Bard's Tale 3, and Quick Fix was introduced in Bard's Tale 2.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Cam0_TaNK3rou3
Initiate

Post by Cam0_TaNK3rou3 » August 31st, 2019, 1:03 am

Drool wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 6:38 pm
Cam0_TaNK3rou3 wrote:
August 30th, 2019, 5:31 pm
In Legacy mode the Rogue doesn't have the Identify skill and the Magician doesn't have Quick Fix. Is this a known issue or something new?
Neither, it's Legacy Mode. Rogue identification didn't exist until Bard's Tale 3, and Quick Fix was introduced in Bard's Tale 2.
Ah, thanks- I originally played Bard's Tale 3 first before playing BT1 (never got around to BT2 which is why I bought this trilogy) and my memories of the first were kind of fuzzy.

Cam0_TaNK3rou3
Initiate

Post by Cam0_TaNK3rou3 » September 2nd, 2019, 10:31 am

The Conjurer Level 6 spell Flesh Anew and the Magician Level 5 spell Giant Strength are both listed in the Bard's Tale Trilogy Remaster Manual but aren't available once your mages level up. I've checked other online sources and it appears that some spells were shuffled among the mages. Are the spell lists in the manual accurate and if not is there a listing of what spells actually are available per level/mage?

Parody
Initiate

Post by Parody » September 2nd, 2019, 10:47 am

I've got both Flesh Anew (FLAN, Conjurer 6) and Giant Strength (GIST, Magician 5) on my characters in BT1 and BT2 in normal (non-Legacy) mode.

In Legacy mode they appear in different places in different games. Check the individual manuals for details. (One source for those manuals is Bard's Tale Online.)

Cam0_TaNK3rou3
Initiate

Post by Cam0_TaNK3rou3 » September 3rd, 2019, 12:59 am

Parody wrote:
September 2nd, 2019, 10:47 am
I've got both Flesh Anew (FLAN, Conjurer 6) and Giant Strength (GIST, Magician 5) on my characters in BT1 and BT2 in normal (non-Legacy) mode.

In Legacy mode they appear in different places in different games. Check the individual manuals for details. (One source for those manuals is Bard's Tale Online.)
Yes sorry, forgot to mention I'm playing in Legacy Mode. Just got to 7th level spells and Flesh Anew was there for the Magician- I'm guessing that the spell lists in the manual might be reflecting Bard's Tale 2 or 3 rather than BT 1.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 3rd, 2019, 1:18 pm

I believe the in-game manual reflects non-legacy mode, which had the spell lists standardized and unified across the games.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

kansas_dave
Initiate

Post by kansas_dave » September 7th, 2019, 7:55 am

Bug: Door at 6,1 in Kylearan's tower does not reappear.

I left the tower after defeating the crystal golem but before getting the key. When I returned, the door was gone. Going back to the magic mouth and answering the riddle successfully did not cause it to reappear. This renders the game unwinnable, so is a serious bug.

Jonvongamer
Initiate

Post by Jonvongamer » September 7th, 2019, 11:36 am

Krome, thanks for doing such a great job with this trilogy. I'm enjoying it. I kind of hated BT4 in comparison, but I'm old school.

Strange thing happened, Xbox one version. My monks were doing like 30-128 dmg at lvl 15, but after getting to 16, now they do 45-720 dmg. This is weird. I can destroy anything without needing the spell casters now.