Party Management

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

owenmp
Acolyte

Party Management

Post by owenmp » March 11th, 2012, 5:45 pm

I always had concern in my mind when breaking up the party in Wasteland I would accidentally permanetly disband a NPC I wanted to keep in the party.

I like the Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics concept of not permanently disbanding NPCs. In those three games, you have a limit to the size of your active party, however you can exchange NPCs at any time.

An important strategy in Wasteland 2 could be to find a motel room or warehouse to establish a temporary base to "store" NPCs and supplies. This idea could support the discussion of day and night operations and use of sleep to restore a character's health at the cost of time elapsing.

If development resources permit, the locations where you leave NPCs should affect their behavior. If you leave them at a headquarters, NPCs should act normally. If you leave them at a tavern or entrance of a cave, you need to come back for them eventually before their reactions to you become more hostile. The NPC might even disappear, immediately creating a quest for you to find the NPC.

Could a NPC waiting to join the active party, if "stored" in a non-base location, be kidnapped? This situation could lead to another series of quests.

SniperHF
Adventurer

Re: Party Management

Post by SniperHF » March 11th, 2012, 10:04 pm

An idea that could impact this type of management is how close the party members are to you. Maybe some party members are just hired guns and you have to pay them or they get disgruntled. Perhaps your character will create deeper ties with some by helping them with quests. But those types might be a little more clingy and not want to leave or wait for you somewhere :lol:

I've always liked the concept of having a base but I'm not sure if it fits post apocalyptic settings too well. If you are gone I can imagine a group of marauders killing the few NPCs you left there and taking all your junk. Moving about seems safer.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » March 12th, 2012, 6:08 am

There could always be a fortified ranger station that you would likely start the game from where you could leave them , but I'd rather see a makeshift base like the OP said, a hotel room would fit well. If party members is anything like the first game, you will likely have 5-7 extra NPC's that won't fit in your party. That would be quite a group for raiders to take down if they are in a defensible position.

Jp1138
Initiate

Post by Jp1138 » March 12th, 2012, 8:43 am

I think you could manage the party a la "Magic Candle" games, where you could send members of your party around, even make appointments with them: we´ll meet x day in x place. You could leave a guy resting, or even working to earn money for the group. Not saying it should be exactly like this, but I think flexible management would be nice.

JollyFather
Initiate

Post by JollyFather » March 14th, 2012, 5:48 am

Agree.

JF