Alpha Discussion Official Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Discussion about the upcoming Wasteland 3!

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Tim McBride
Initiate

Re: Alpha Discussion Official Thread (SPOILERS WITHIN)

Post by Tim McBride » August 25th, 2019, 1:04 pm

It seems like combat screen and information is cluttered.

Some quick thoughts;

I'd prefer to not have the health bars taking up so much space(perhaps I missed an option).
The AP display on the bottom sucks. I'd rather just have the number left displayed, without having to hover over anything.
As others have mentioned, the cover system doesn't seem to always take into account the angle the fire is coming from. I noticed this particularly when firing from above.

Rusknight
Acolyte

Post by Rusknight » August 26th, 2019, 6:24 am

I didn't play alpha but watched some videos and one thing looked weird for me - it's the fact that the vehicle doesn't need a driver to take part in a combat. I hope it will change so that you will have to assign one of your squad members to the vehicle if you want to use it in combat and that squad member won't be able to do anything else while he is inside. This way it will be matter of choice whether you want to have full squad in the battle or to have a vehicle in the battle instead of one of your squad members. Of course you should be able to change it anytime you want between battles.

fuzzyballs01
Scholar

Post by fuzzyballs01 » August 26th, 2019, 7:57 am

Rusknight wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 6:24 am
I didn't play alpha but watched some videos and one thing looked weird for me - it's the fact that the vehicle doesn't need a driver to take part in a combat. I hope it will change so that you will have to assign one of your squad members to the vehicle if you want to use it in combat and that squad member won't be able to do anything else while he is inside. This way it will be matter of choice whether you want to have full squad in the battle or to have a vehicle in the battle instead of one of your squad members. Of course you should be able to change it anytime you want between battles.
you should look up Cochese
or Dugan
or VAX, or any of the robotic enemies tbh
advanced AI exists just as much as basic AI for combat in the Wasteland series

and you could always just have some standard Ranger driver with a joystick for the big gun dialogue shoved somewhere when you get the vehicle or something
I'd agree with you if the mounted gun wasn't a giant energy cannon

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 26th, 2019, 2:13 pm

It's also possible that, normally, you would need to leave someone inside, but it was streamlined for the demo.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Moagrim
Initiate

Post by Moagrim » August 27th, 2019, 2:27 am

Drool wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 2:13 pm
It's also possible that, normally, you would need to leave someone inside, but it was streamlined for the demo.
There was a gameplay demo released in the 2016 which, I would assume, is from the early game. In this demo there was a earlier version of your vehicle with a mounted gun that you needed to use a character to fire the mounted gun.

Link to the gameplay demo below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9SvLO27K7g

The alpha version that we play is according to the devs from mid to early late game and my assuption is that the vehicle's weapon is either aimed by AI or your vehicle has a designated driver that does not take part in the ground missions that aims the gun.

I would assume that since the vehicle seems quite advanced overall that the weapon is actually aimed by AI.

Moagrim
Initiate

Post by Moagrim » August 27th, 2019, 2:32 am

sear wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 7:51 pm
We put in a lot of time and attention into our armor designs across the game to make them all feel distinctive and have interesting silhouettes and designs, from the low-end to the high-end ones. We also have a pretty wide variety of clothing options to choose from as well. Visible armor was one of the most requested features in Wasteland 2, and we really wanted to make it happen for Wasteland 3.

That said, it's very possible we'll be able to offer options for those who prefer to keep their defined character appearances instead.
Often it is impossible to please everyone, but in this case it could be done extremely easily with checkboxes on show armor on/off, let the players choose according to their preferences.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » August 27th, 2019, 3:09 am

Moagrim wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 2:32 am
sear wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 7:51 pm
We put in a lot of time and attention into our armor designs across the game to make them all feel distinctive and have interesting silhouettes and designs, from the low-end to the high-end ones. We also have a pretty wide variety of clothing options to choose from as well. Visible armor was one of the most requested features in Wasteland 2, and we really wanted to make it happen for Wasteland 3.

That said, it's very possible we'll be able to offer options for those who prefer to keep their defined character appearances instead.
Often it is impossible to please everyone, but in this case it could be done extremely easily with checkboxes on show armor on/off, let the players choose according to their preferences.
I second that - there are few easier ways to please "both camps" than that one.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » August 27th, 2019, 5:46 am

Rusknight wrote:
August 26th, 2019, 6:24 am
Wasteland 3 is confirmed to include at least one vehicle with onboard AI. I don't know if the vehicle in the demo is implied to have such an AI (probably not), but they probably made it autonomous just as a proof of concept.

fuzzyballs01
Scholar

Post by fuzzyballs01 » August 27th, 2019, 12:49 pm

I've seen some of the armours this game has to offer
they look stupid, like fantasy stupid and not post nuclear wasteland with sci-fi militairy themes like W1 & 2
so I'd rather not wear a pointy viking hat

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 27th, 2019, 2:12 pm

I was more shocked by the massive movement hit the Nuclear Armor gave you. I mean, it's a powered suit of armor, you'd think some of that power would go to mitigating the weight. The AR character had their movement dropped to about 2 squares for all of their AP.

That's why I gave it to the sniper on the second run through, because they wouldn't need to move nearly as much.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 31st, 2019, 12:36 pm

So, the "Reload After Combat" option is pretty nice, but it doesn't reload secondary weapons. It would be nice if it either did that, or was renamed "Reload Primary After Combat" or the like. Expecting everything to be reloaded, then going into battle with half your weapons empty or mostly empty is a rather unpleasant surprise.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Tim McBride
Initiate

Post by Tim McBride » September 2nd, 2019, 8:46 am

I've done a couple playthroughs of the "Alpha". I feel like it's such a limited demo that there isn't a ton more to say then what has already been covered. Hoping as an Alpha backer to get a little more unlocked before the beta hits.
I am certainly not a fan however of the 'cut scene' style dialogue, I hope we get an option to turn that off.

Moagrim
Initiate

Post by Moagrim » September 2nd, 2019, 12:29 pm

I finished up re-playing Wasteland 2 yesterday so that I could get a better comparison point as to what has improved in Wasteland 3 and what is currently implemented worse than in WL2.

Most of the issues that I found were related to targeting issues and other information or lack of it.

Things that I found were done better in Wasteland 3 alpha in comparison to Wasteland 2 (director's cut version):
Skill checks are now binary. One thing that I do not miss from WL2 is the 11% succeed chance with maxed out skills in the end-game. In fact that is amongst the most frustrating things that I have ever come across in my three decades of gaming history.

Random observations:
Growler pup seems to be randomly active or passive. I tested it with the Federico mini-boss fight and the growler was active one out of those three fights.

Why is the camera rotation inverted? As in pressing the E key rotates the camere to counter-clockwise, which at least to me feels counter-intuative. Not a big deal if you could actually properly remap your keys, which currently does not work, as you can not overwrite the default keybindings you can only add alternative keys on top of the default ones. In WL2 the camera rotation was not inverted.

Right clicking at objects does not give the information on the required skill level needed to succeed in the skill check for example in lockpicking. In most cases this is not an issue, but accidently activating mines is somewhat annoying when you can not see the skill level needed for disarming the said mines.
If this is an intended game mechanic, then fair enough I guess, but if it is just an oversight as it is the first alpha build then it should be fixed at some point.

Targeting and information issues:
The consept of mouse-overing a tile showing the new line of sights and the new chances of hitting a target at the new tile is a very good addition, but the implementation in the current form is done fairly poorly, which once again is fair enough as this the first alpha build of the game.
There should be some sort of delay in the mouse over before the new chances of hits and line of sights are shown as now when move your mouse over the screen to attack an enemy the screen flickers like christmas lights and it is visually fairly annoying experience.

The UI does not auto-update the chances of hit after weapon swap. You need to mouse over the targets or mouse over a tile that has a line of sight and range to a target or several targets.

The UI does not revert to the hit chances and line of sights of the tile that you currently are when you mouse over your active character, it still uses the values of the last tile that the mouse over was on.

The UI does not revert the hit chances on targets that are out of range or sight of the new selected tile. It only updates the hit chances on targets that are still in range of the new tile.

The UI does not revert the hit chances on targets to your current tile if you mouse over object that you can not move on to.

When you mouse over a target the hit chances to other targets are shown according to the last tile your mouse over was before you moved your cursor on top of the target you intend to attack.

Selecting the precision strike has the same cursor as default attack when you mouse over a target, the cursor should change to something else for it to be easier to see that the precision strike is currently active.

Precision shots do not show the chances to hit. I would imagine that aiming to the head would have much less chance to hit than hitting the body, but the UI does not indicate this in any way.

Other comments on game balancing:
The biggest issue with using LMGs in the WL2 was the ammo issues in the early to early-mid game. You could not afford the ammo consumption.

Now in WL3 you can with a character of 10AP attack twice with LMG making the ammo consumption to 14 bullets per combat turn and with MAC10 you use 16 bullets per combat turn.
It is fairly easy to see even at this point of first iteration of the alpha that it is going to be the WL2 all over again unless ammo becomes much more accessable as it is.

Abstract armor values:
I have played WL1, WL2 and now WL3 and as such I know fully well that using abstract armor values is a legacy of this game series, but I will nevertheless ask if you could add in brackets as to how many % of damage mitigation you actually have or damage threshold + damage mitigation if that is how the game is programmed.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » September 5th, 2019, 6:10 am

Drool wrote:
August 27th, 2019, 2:12 pm
I was more shocked by the massive movement hit the Nuclear Armor gave you. I mean, it's a powered suit of armor, you'd think some of that power would go to mitigating the weight. The AR character had their movement dropped to about 2 squares for all of their AP.

That's why I gave it to the sniper on the second run through, because they wouldn't need to move nearly as much.
Thanks for the feedback. Not everything got enough time for a full balance pass in the level of nuance I wanted for the alpha test, especially some of the items that were off the beaten path. You should definitely expect a lot of those details to change.

I definitely agree the speed hit from the heavy armors in general was too big.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » September 12th, 2019, 12:46 am

Finally got around playing the Alpha:

Overall I think the dark humor tone of the series was well captured by that part of the game.
I haven't noticed too many bugs, only at the end scence when Vics Hand glitches through Clarences head Comes to my mind, to be honest. But I am not one to notice if numbers are amiss/wrong. Combat works well, even more so when an tactical approach is way more rewarding then fire blindly at everything that moves (go for the gas tanks/CPUs Boo!).

It was a fun hour, can't wait to see more of WL3. :D
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.