The Bard's Tale IV Update 56: Mid-2019 Update

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

phimseto
Adventurer

The Bard's Tale IV Update 56: Mid-2019 Update

Post by phimseto » June 7th, 2019, 3:01 pm

In the latest The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep update, we share a first look at the Director's Cut, as well as a revised timeline for its arrival as well as the Mac & Linux versions of the game. We also share some news about The Bard's Tale Trilogy. Check it out at the link!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... ts/2530365
The good news is that the wait won’t be that much longer, as we’re targeting late summer for a release of the Director’s Cut on Windows, Mac, Linux, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.
All that and more in the link above! Enjoy!

- The inXile Team

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 56: Mid-2019 Update

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » June 7th, 2019, 9:00 pm

The only thing that really caught my eye was the "Updated Intro". Not sure what that entails. Was that in response to people complaining about how the beginning of the game was graphically inferior to later portions? Or does that mean that we're going to finally get the ability to start with a party of 6 from the beginning, if we want?

Also, I must say that KS comments thread is much more hostile than previous ones. Seems like people are pretty fed up with slipped release dates. Almost coming into line with feedback commonly seen in this forum. (The KS feedback was generally more supportive leading up to the initial release of the game. Seems phrasing like "definitive release" hasn't exactly rekindled the old magic for a lot of people. ;)
cmibl<enter>

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » June 9th, 2019, 9:05 pm

Last year it was BTIV 2.0, due in Early '19. Early '19 came along with the news that "BT4 2.0" was now "BT4 Director's Cut," slated for a June 2019 release--no ifs, ands, or buts about it. June was the--to quote Amazon--"guaranteed ship date." And now more than a week into June 2019, the DC has been put off until "late summer 2019"--with, again, no actual ship date mentioned. At any of the dates previously promised the notion that "it might ship in June, but it might not," was never imparted. So I guess now it's "It might ship in 'late summer,' or it might not"? Accurate? It's kind of sad to see June slip by while inXile writes about it as if the company had never said the DC would ship in June. Why wait for June to declare that June was out? I'm not sure what Microsoft buying the company might have to do with this as aside from flushing inXile with cash and taking a load off--I can't see that being a negative for game development. At any rate, InXile hasn't actually claimed that the Microsoft purchase is what has caused this further delay.

So much of the stuff that is slated for the DC was asked for in the original 2015 KS, IIRC. It was ignored then, for some reason that isn't at all apparent. So much of it--like adequate/inexhaustible inventory space--vendors who could actually buy the stuff you'd bring them to sell without "running out of room!" *cough*--are part and parcel of most really good current RPGs released even before 2015--not oddities, not unusual, at all. Ditto "save anywhere, anytime," etc. So InXile doesn't include any of these asked-for features--and then after the game ships has to go back into it and essentially rebuild it with many of the features that, as I mentioned, were originally asked for but denied. Doesn't that seem like a huge waste of time when much of it might have been avoided by simply listening better during the 2015 KS?

I would ask that InXile not add insult to injury and pretend that it was common knowledge that the DC might not ship in June--it wasn't--rather, it was common knowledge that the DC would ship in June. Your "letting us know about the progress of the DC" is a far cry from letting us have the finished DC in June--which your customers were counting on because that is what you told them to count on.

One last bone to pick...InXile mentioned awhile back that for obvious reasons it was not going to finish the Mac and Linux versions until *after* the Windows version was finished--since the ports to the other two OSes would be 100% dependent on a finished Windows Director's Cut version--which could only happen *after* the Windows DC was complete. That much of it is entirely rational and necessary. But now, it would appear that even though the Windows version of the DC is finished--what? 3-4 months ahead of the Mac & Linux DC versions--inXile is going to hold the Windows version back until it completes the Mac Linux ports of the Windows DC version...? You know--it's reminiscent of the old saw about how trying to please everybody often winds up pleasing almost nobody. Wish you guys would think about these things a bit more deeply. Somebody at InXile is not thinking about these things as paying customers think about them.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » June 10th, 2019, 1:50 am

waltc wrote:
June 9th, 2019, 9:05 pm
One last bone to pick...InXile mentioned awhile back that for obvious reasons it was not going to finish the Mac and Linux versions until *after* the Windows version was finished--since the ports to the other two OSes would be 100% dependent on a finished Windows Director's Cut version--which could only happen *after* the Windows DC was complete. That much of it is entirely rational and necessary. But now, it would appear that even though the Windows version of the DC is finished--what? 3-4 months ahead of the Mac & Linux DC versions--inXile is going to hold the Windows version back until it completes the Mac Linux ports of the Windows DC version...?
That's not really how it works. The port can start before the Windows version is 100% complete, it's not usually done by the same teams, and more importantly the port can be done while they have an internal beta of the DC, while they perform that intensive pre-release testing and iterations (which can take months), they definitely can test the ports at the same time.

If they do some internal rewrites (major optimization pass, changes to core systems, upgrade of the Unreal engine version, ...) for the DC it can make sense to postpone the ports until those changes on the DC are done (IMHO it's still a better idea to be cross-platform from day 1, rather than add ports later on, but that's debatable). But when the core is stable, all the final testing, the bug fixing passes on quest scripts (which is where most bugs on CRPGs usually are), the final small balance change, ... can definitely be done in parallel to ports.

phimseto
Adventurer

Post by phimseto » June 10th, 2019, 7:28 am

The Windows version of the DC is not finished. There are things still being worked on specific to that platform, while the Linux and Mac port devs work on those versions of the game, too. More or less what kilobug wrote above.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » June 12th, 2019, 3:21 am

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
June 7th, 2019, 9:00 pm
Also, I must say that KS comments thread is much more hostile than previous ones. Seems like people are pretty fed up with slipped release dates. Almost coming into line with feedback commonly seen in this forum.
Yeah, numerous "superbackers" are expressing quite harsh opinions about InXile, in the comments. Definitely coming in line, although the main source of negativity on this forum wasn't exactly about release dates. ;) InXile, InXile never changes...

ps. InXile, please ask Microsoft, to give Krome studios the resources to produce Dragon Wars Remastered!

phimseto
Adventurer

Post by phimseto » June 12th, 2019, 10:43 am

I would love to see Dragon Wars remastered, and if we had the rights to it, it might happen. However, we don't so I am not sure how or when it would come to pass.

As for the comments, I can understand the frustration about the delays. Given all the factors, the devs re handling it the best way possible. It's just amounted to a tough delay for Mac and Linux users.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » June 13th, 2019, 2:17 am

phimseto wrote:
June 12th, 2019, 10:43 am
I would love to see Dragon Wars remastered, and if we had the rights to it, it might happen. However, we don't so I am not sure how or when it would come to pass.
Is it Interplay? I guess they really want to hold on to it, and they're also fine with Steam and GOG selling the awful PC version for $9. Funny though that it's called Dragon Wars, because they didn't have the rights to make Bard's Tale 4, and now after making BT4, you don't have the rights to remaster Dragon Wars.

But there might still be hope, together the heroic band of Microsoft, InXile and Krome can do it!

phimseto
Adventurer

Post by phimseto » June 13th, 2019, 10:44 am

Believe me, I talk about it. Let's see the lay of the land after Wasteland 30th Anniversary Edition comes out later this year.

astrobryguy
Initiate

Post by astrobryguy » June 14th, 2019, 8:24 am

@phimseto - Any discussion of bringing the remasters to iOS/Android? I'd love to play the remasters on my iPhone.

phimseto
Adventurer

Post by phimseto » June 14th, 2019, 11:14 am

Can't really discuss what, if any, additional platforms the games might be developed for. We'll certainly announce any news regarding new platform availability.

svdp
Acolyte

Post by svdp » June 16th, 2019, 12:00 pm

DC looks awesome, and thank you guys for listening to fans and providing it for free where many others would have charged premium prices for any expansion or even the smallest of DLC's. I know you got a lot whining from some disgruntled people who incessantly and continuously post negative reactions in a very immature and arrogant manner, but don't let that discourage you, nor should you find it disheartening. Whiners gonna whine, sometimes obsessively so.

No doubt the same persons with a spoiled-brat complex will now complain once again, crying out loud, about the time-slip of the DC release (as if it doesn't happen to numerous other games), but instead of saying "It's a pity, I would have liked to see it in June, but September will not be detrimental of a wait neither", no doubt the shouts of indignation well echo in the hall of Ego. I guess they'll die during the 3 months wait? ;-)

BT4 wasn't perfect - no game is - but overall I thought it was pretty neat and cool, and I enjoyed it greatly. Everyone not sweating the small stuff, will enjoy it as well, if they manage their expectations and realize it's an indie game, not an AAA game.

Keep up the good work!

astrobryguy
Initiate

Post by astrobryguy » June 16th, 2019, 6:55 pm

svdp wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 12:00 pm
DC looks awesome, and thank you guys for listening to fans and providing it for free where many others would have charged premium prices for any expansion or even the smallest of DLC's. I know you got a lot whining from some disgruntled people who incessantly and continuously post negative reactions in a very immature and arrogant manner, but don't let that discourage you, nor should you find it disheartening. Whiners gonna whine, sometimes obsessively so.

No doubt the same persons with a spoiled-brat complex will now complain once again, crying out loud, about the time-slip of the DC release (as if it doesn't happen to numerous other games), but instead of saying "It's a pity, I would have liked to see it in June, but September will not be detrimental of a wait neither", no doubt the shouts of indignation well echo in the hall of Ego. I guess they'll die during the 3 months wait? ;-)

BT4 wasn't perfect - no game is - but overall I thought it was pretty neat and cool, and I enjoyed it greatly. Everyone not sweating the small stuff, will enjoy it as well, if they manage their expectations and realize it's an indie game, not an AAA game.

Keep up the good work!
The initial Kickstarter promised Mac and Linux support, so I don't think it's "sweating the small stuff" to want that support delivered. After all, it's hard to enjoy the game by just staring at the Windows-only download link on GOG.

If inXile hadn't put in the BTIV Kickstarter that they would support Windows, Mac, and Linux, I wouldn't be bothered by it taking a year for a Mac release, or if it never happened at all. I wouldn't have backed it without Mac support, and I'd have nothing invested in it. At this point, I've just about lost all interest in BTIV, Director's Cut or not. So it feels like I wasted money on backing it.

svdp
Acolyte

Post by svdp » July 7th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Look... I see this a lot: they promised this, they promised that... But they are, by and large, keeping their promises. It's just that it's later than expected. It's THAT that I would call "sweating the small stuff". Every-one, at least every adult with some maturity who EVER worked on a project, knows that any timetable for any project can slip, and thus can get delays. That should be obvious. At least, for me it is obvious that it should be obvious. So I really have difficulties understanding this sort of thinking.

I'm not saying this to aggravate anyone or "troll them into a response", I really mean what I say.

Look, this is how *I* went about it:

I was a backer on the kickstarter as well, an "early wyrm" even. For me windows was good enough, I saw what they said about it, looked at the pre-views of how the game would look, and based on that, I already had a pretty good idea of what/how it would be - and know it would differ from the old games considerably. This, apparently in contrast with some people constantly complaining here on the forum. Why? Didn't they look? Couldn't get the gist of it? Back then I had no more data/info to my disposal than they did, yet for some reason, they missed all of it and then complain it was different from the earlier games - which should have been clear from the start. Rosy colored glasses that made them overlook what was actually shown? Interpreting things in how they *wished* the game would be? I don't know, but if I could see it, they had the possibility as well.. so who's fault is it, then, that they are "unpleasantly surprised"? If they had opened their eyes from the start and looked at it rationally, they wouldn't have felt "duped" (as some said it literally).

As for the timetable slipping: that's indeed sweating the small stuff, at least for me. Once I backed it, I wasn't all bend on the time, and I already knew from the start any timetable could slip and thus the date of release could be postponed. How come some are not aware that that is ALWAYS - and fairly often, even, with games - a possibility? Why getting worked up about it? Is one on his last breaths on his deathbed, and fear one can't play it anymore if it's over time with a few months? Whether one can play it today, or tomorrow, or next month, or next year: does that really matter? When I backed it for the windows version, I didn't care about that: why should you? As long as you get a fun game, whether it's this year or the next? I'm not even sure if they kept their "promised" time-slot for the windows version, and whether they said "it will take 4 years to make" or something. But whether they did or didn't, that was never the point. If they had waited another whole year before releasing it, I wouldn't even have noticed, let alone be all in arms about it. I didn't care one bit: I backed it, they would deliver some day, that's all that really matters. If you're all hung up about *when* exactly they released it "on time" or not, one is already in a mindset that I feel misses the point of backing an indie (game of a) company.

Now that said, I don't mind you saying or complaining about it neither, even if I don't understand the mindset that causes this reaction - as long as it's done in a polite and civilized way. I'm not calling THAT "whining", let's make that clear (once again). But let's be honest: a lot of posts made by - often the same - people, are not only repeating the same things ad nauseam, but are also rather arrogant and self-centered, rude and uncivilized, especially towards Inxile and the people who work there (or moderate the fora). It's THAT that I'm calling out. If people don't feel addressed by this, the better. Certainly not everyone is that way, and even not everyone who makes a remark about some issue should feel addressed. Heck, even I made a remark about a crash I once had, but I resolved it amicably with the devs, send them DXdiagnose and other stuff they asked, and we had a polite interchange. As it should be.

It's just the spoiled-brat syndrome that I'm riling against. Am I being unreasonable in asking to remain polite, ALSO towards Inxile? Some feel like they're entitled in whatever way they see fit to respond, but the same people apparently also complain to the moderators then about my posts, because they do feel addressed. Go figure. Apparently, it's a one-way direction, where they can be rude, but they feel butthurt when someone else makes a comment they feel is negative about their own posts. I have a word for that sort of people, but I promised the mods to tone it down a bit because those guys receive complaints of the more whiny-inclined here, and the mods have a difficult balance act to do, so I won't say it out loud.

Also, about wasted money: if you have not yet actually played it for a certain amount (on Steam it's 2hours, I believe), most platforms offer you a way to redeem/reclaim your money. In that case, it shouldn't be a problem for you, thus.

fewerlaws
Initiate

Post by fewerlaws » August 15th, 2019, 9:28 am

Dragon Wars Remastered would be awesome!

demeisen
Explorer

Post by demeisen » August 15th, 2019, 3:15 pm

astrobryguy wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 6:55 pm
The initial Kickstarter promised Mac and Linux support, ... I've just about lost all interest in BTIV, Director's Cut or not.
May I offer a slightly different viewpoint about that? You can take it or leave it: it's just one random person's view.

I'm in the same boat as you, unable to play the game for the same reason. It was disappointing to have such a long delay, and I lost interest too for quite a while. So I'm coming from a similar place. My outlook has been to forget all about BT4 for a long time, and mentally reset now that we're closer to the Mac/Linux release. By not thinking about BT4 much for a year, it's been easier to get back into looking forward to it again.

Also, as you noted, we are getting a better version in the DC. For WL2, the DC felt more complete and put more meat on the bones of the combat system. I played both versions, and thought the DC was a superior game. From several forum post-game reviews, BT4 has a pleasant enough core and people were enjoying it, but felt it could have used a few more months to bake, with some balance changes, etc. If I only ever play the game once, as I suspect I will do, I'd rather have that be the DC anyway.

I'd venture a guess that InXile did most of their development on Windows and didn't maintain the Mac/Linux builds as they went along, which can result in surprises. It's better to maintain all the versions at a reasonable state all throughout development, such as having at least one developer hosted on each of the target environments. That can help prevent dead-ends and single-OS technology from creeping in. That's only my speculation, but it's water under the bridge anyway. We're getting it now, and that's more than most studios ever do, and may also be more than we'll get in the future from a MS-owned studio.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 15th, 2019, 3:22 pm

If it makes you feel better, I play on PC and by the time I got around to BT4, the DC was announced, so I stopped playing again.

If the BT4 DC is anything like the WL2 DC, then you can almost think of the vanilla release as a really, really, really long beta period.
Alwa nasci korliri das.