Bard's Tale Trilogy Remaster - Mac/Linux versions? Clarification PLEEEASE!

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Sermon
Novice

Bard's Tale Trilogy Remaster - Mac/Linux versions? Clarification PLEEEASE!

Post by Sermon » March 17th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Honestly, guys, I'm sick and tired of the evasiveness from you concerning potential Mac/Linux versions of the Bard's Tale Remaster trilogy. Could you PLEASE let us know if you will be releasing the Bard's Tale Trilogy Remaster for Mac and Linux? Just be honest with us and stop the duck & cover strategy.

So, simple question:
Native Mac/Linux versions of the Bard's Tale Trilogy Remaster: yes or no?

shmerl
Explorer

Re: Bard's Tale Trilogy Remaster - Mac/Linux versions? Clarification PLEEEASE!

Post by shmerl » March 20th, 2019, 8:50 pm

+1. The trilogy is out, and the last time I remember developers mentioned, Linux and macOS releases will be looked at after all three parts are out. So what's the story now?

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » March 22nd, 2019, 6:15 pm

I've become accustomed to long periods of silence, followed by disappointing announcements from inXile, the game's publisher, now a subsidiary of Microsoft.

Fortunately, it's not too hard to get working under Linux (as I think you know, having been active in that area). Don't know how things are going to pan out for Mac users though. Probably sales is a determining factor of what they're willing to support, since running support is not free. If they sell a Linux native version to 100 users, that's probably not going to pay for more than a handful of support requests to fix platform-specific bugs and, even less, if you count the initial porting work, minimal though it may be. I don't know what kind of monetary arrangements inXile has with Krome, the game's developer, but it may be that the math doesn't work very well for either party.

Yeah, it's a shame, but it's why I run Windows for gaming, even though I use Linux for everything else.
cmibl<enter>

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » March 26th, 2019, 9:08 am

I have the game running in Wine+dxvk on Linux, but it still has a few quirks like virtual desktop workaround. Point is, it should not be hard for developers to release it natively, unless Unity is so full of bugs, that they fear to be drowned in them.

And yes, the fact that inXile were bought by MS is not helping things overall. But the game is made by Krome, and unless inXile somehow would try to prevent them from releasing the trilogy for Linux, they should still be able to do it.
Last edited by shmerl on March 26th, 2019, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 26th, 2019, 12:47 pm

shmerl wrote:
March 26th, 2019, 9:08 am
And yes, the fact that inXile were bought by MS is not helping things overall. But the game is made by Krome, and unless inXile somehow would try to prevent them from releasing the trilogy for Linux, they should still be able to do it.
Krome is developing, but inXile (now Microsoft) holds the rights and is the publisher. They get the final call.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » March 26th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Yeah, what Drool said. Unfortunately inXile/Microsoft is the publisher. So, it doesn't matter how awesome the developer (Krome) is, it is not the developer's call.
cmibl<enter>

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » March 26th, 2019, 6:52 pm

That was exactly my point. So inXile should not prevent them from doing it, for that to happen.

Sermon
Novice

Post by Sermon » March 27th, 2019, 11:53 am

Well, Krome can't just start working on native Mac/Linux ports of the trilogy. If inXile doesn't give them the greenlight and the money for the project, Krome can't do anything. It's down to inXile if they want and/or can give Krome the funds to start working on the port, I guess...

I tried to make the Windows version work under macOS with Wine+dxvk, but to no avail. Can't get it to run. Don't know if it just doesn't run on macOS or if it's my inexperience, but I fiddled around for a week or so with no luck at all.

It's really frustrating, because inXile have been dedicated to the Mac and Linux community in the past and given the historic relevance of the Bard's Tale series in gaming history, it hurts even more that inXile are letting Linux and Apple users down (especially since the original games came out on Apple computers first!).

If they'd really care about the Mac/Linux community they'd let us know, even if they decided to NOT make native Mac/Linux ports... but their silence on the matter just smells of "we don't care". Pity.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » March 27th, 2019, 4:37 pm

No communication is the policy of MS and other legacy publishers. That's the unfortunate outcome of inXile joining that side. Crowdfunded studios in contrast try to communicate with the community on such issues.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » March 27th, 2019, 4:41 pm

@Sermon: current build of the trilogy should support OpenGL backend, not just D3D11 one (the later would require dxvk), so it's another option to try when running in Wine. Not sure if it would help though. Apple in general let OpenGL rot on macOS, so even OpenGL games have a lot of issues running in Wine there. And dxvk use case on macOS requires Vulkan → Metal translation (either MoltenVK or gfx-rs).

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » March 28th, 2019, 7:35 pm

shmerl wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 4:37 pm
No communication is the policy of MS and other legacy publishers. That's the unfortunate outcome of inXile joining that side. Crowdfunded studios in contrast try to communicate with the community on such issues.
Sad to say, no communication was their policy even before joining Microsoft.
cmibl<enter>

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » March 29th, 2019, 8:28 am

I guess, but it became even worse, especially after @tonurics left inXile. He was active with the community on Linux related issues.

phimseto
Adventurer

Post by phimseto » April 1st, 2019, 6:30 am

As we have messaged since last summer, we're looking into it now that all three games are out. A determination hasn't been made yet. Once there is, we will let folks know.

cparker94
Acolyte

Post by cparker94 » April 13th, 2019, 11:24 am

phimseto wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 6:30 am
As we have messaged since last summer, we're looking into it now that all three games are out. A determination hasn't been made yet. Once there is, we will let folks know.
Is it just me or does anyone else find humor in the fact that phimseto’s post is from April Fool’s Day?!?!

Seriously though, I’ve been away from the forums for a month now and hopped back on to see if there was any new news. Same old story. Lots of excuses over a failed project. No communication. No Linux or Mac version. I only backed this project because Brian Fargo assured me that this would appeal to old school Bards Tale players like myself. Although I can’t prove that BT 4 doesn’t appeal to me because all I have is a Mac, most of the people who grew up playing the originals have told me that this game should have never been called BT 4 because it is not a true sequel. But what I can say is I wasted money backing this project and the initial enthusiasm that Brian and others instilled in me from the beginning is completely gone to the point where I just don’t think I want to play the game any more. However, if Krome Studios or someone comes up with a TRUE sequel that old schoolers such as myself have been clamoring for, I’d be interested in playing it.

Craig from Texas

KorganBloodAxe
Acolyte

Post by KorganBloodAxe » April 28th, 2019, 4:16 am

cparker94 wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 11:24 am
lthough I can’t prove that BT 4 doesn’t appeal to me because all I have is a Mac, most of the people who grew up playing the originals have told me that this game should have never been called BT 4 because it is not a true sequel. But what I can say is I wasted money backing this project and the initial enthusiasm that Brian and others instilled in me from the beginning is completely gone to the point where I just don’t think I want to play the game any more. However, if Krome Studios or someone comes up with a TRUE sequel that old schoolers such as myself have been clamoring for, I’d be interested in playing it.
Craig from Texas
What on earth does this have to do with the original trilogy remaster? Maybe try posting in the right forum at least?

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 28th, 2019, 1:52 pm

KorganBloodAxe wrote:
April 28th, 2019, 4:16 am
What on earth does this have to do with the original trilogy remaster? Maybe try posting in the right forum at least?
Because the Krome remaster of the originals is about the closest thing to getting a Bard's Tale [#4] sequel that we will ever get.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 28th, 2019, 1:57 pm

cparker94 wrote:
April 13th, 2019, 11:24 am
phimseto wrote:
April 1st, 2019, 6:30 am
Is it just me or does anyone else find humor in the fact that phimseto’s post is from April Fool’s Day?!?!
I thought about it (when it came out), but what struck me was, "A determination hasn't been made yet"; what's there to determine?

*IE. Was this promised or not, and did people pledge based on this or not. I don't run a Mac, so I never paid any attention to the mention of Mac & Linux versions. But if the first answer is 'yes', and they were promised...then what is there to decide?

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 28th, 2019, 4:10 pm

Well...

Originally, there wasn't anything promised because it was something offered by Heineman after the campaign started. For what was promised on the page after that:
We have added the emulated versions of The Bard’s Tale, The Bard’s Tale II: The Destiny Knight and The Bard’s Tale III: Thief of Fate to every tier $20 and above FOR FREE! Additionally, we have an agreement with the original The Bard’s Tale III programmer Rebecca "Burger" Heineman and her company Olde Sküül to update the games for modern machines!
So, even if Krome was beholden to Heineman's promises, those promises didn't mention which systems the games would run on.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » April 28th, 2019, 5:31 pm

That's enough to have never been on the hook for them. Also, as I read it, 'modern systems' doesn't necessarily mean 'operating systems', it could simply mean 32 or 64 bit versions; with different memory management, and VGA or sVGA graphics.

Janichsan
Initiate

Post by Janichsan » May 31st, 2019, 2:48 pm

Let's be serious: by now it should be clear that the Mac and Linux versions won't happen. Krome is already busy with the Wasteland remaster.