[Bad Memory] Stuck in the sewer

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Roger Wilco
Scholar

[Bad Memory] Stuck in the sewer

Post by Roger Wilco » March 13th, 2012, 9:42 pm

I couldn't finish the game first time because I got stuck in the sewer. I didn't figure out that you could split up your party and climb out so I was simply stuck...or so I thought. After a few days I just started over.

Wild_Bill_711
Scholar

Re: Stck in the sewer

Post by Wild_Bill_711 » March 16th, 2012, 8:20 pm

Ah ! ... that deep chasm... was standing too close to the edge when trying to 'use a rope', so I've been down there too... saw the 'you'll have to climb-out one at a time' (or something similar) message, so just took a bit longer moving the characters 'out' one-at-a-time' rather than moving everyone together... and suspect that they all had 'climb' skill, or maybe they all wouldn't have gotten out ???

Hate to confess, but also pressed the wrong 'arrow key' once and stepped sideways... off the rope, repeating the 'situation' !

Celtic927
Explorer

Post by Celtic927 » March 22nd, 2012, 7:14 pm

Yeah falling into that Chasm sucked. There were several part in the game like this. I think I got stuck in the Junk peoples well the same way
-CHris
Cooking up Blood Sausage since 1988.

Wild_Bill_711
Scholar

Post by Wild_Bill_711 » March 28th, 2012, 12:56 pm

The "well" in Savage Village was pretty easy.... any 'character' could use 'Climb' skill to get out (and the party/band of troops) went with them, 'trick', back at the top, was either 'climb' again OR just 'move away' (I forget now)... otherwise they'd "slip back into the well" and have to try again. The lizards in the well seemed a bit scary, but were easily killed.

Think I soooooo ticked-off... used TNT on Junk Master's office so I could kill him & his wife. :lol: lol

Celtic927
Explorer

Post by Celtic927 » March 31st, 2012, 11:38 am

You can kill the JUNK MASTER???
-CHris
Cooking up Blood Sausage since 1988.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 31st, 2012, 9:50 pm

Sure. Just enter combat in his room.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

marjane
Initiate

Re: [Bad Memory] Stuck in the sewer

Post by marjane » April 19th, 2019, 8:55 am

I also made mistake in a sewer and fell back into a chasm and stuck (only one ranger with climb can get out... and screwed up :( )

I guess... I have to start new save file... grumble grumble.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 19th, 2019, 10:52 am

I think if you put that climbing Ranger in the first spot, you can, eventually, climb your way out. It just takes a bit.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

marjane
Initiate

Post by marjane » May 23rd, 2019, 1:42 am

Drool wrote:
April 19th, 2019, 10:52 am
I think if you put that climbing Ranger in the first spot, you can, eventually, climb your way out. It just takes a bit.
Actually, this is what happened before I ragequit and restarted with a new squad.

1. Fell into a chasm due to my mistake (I pressed down instead of space at rope spot).

2. My first(leader) ranger had climb skill, but cannot remember how many.

3. tried to climb up as a whole squad or solo multiple times, still failed

4. Lucky that my squad had 4 ropes. With some trials and errors, Only that ranger climbed from that chasm with the usage of 2 ropes.

5. As that ranger, exit that damn sewer and head to Needle like Sonic.

6. From the general store in Needle, purchased many ropes - i think they were 5 due to spaces.

7. Return to that sewer area with a chasm.

8. Fell back to that chasm as that ranger.

9. From that ranger, evenly distributed ropes to rest of rangers.

10. No one except that ranger could escape from that chasm... obviously, they didn't have any climb skill.

11. Only a few ropes remained, thus I sent that ranger back to the sewer.

12. Just in case I put a rope middle of the chasm.

13. Still trapped even I forced other rangers to move up to the sewer.

14. Stuck with my limitations (especially when I restart the game again, the same situation), being infuriated myself, which was far worse than my squad being toasted by that laser turret in Blood Temple.

(To be honest, loads of foul language came out from my mouth... but they were about the game... not devs. I do know there are hardware's limitations, but still, difficult to stay calm that time)

15. After chain smoking, started a new squad again and managed to recover whole progress and finished that damn sewer by around 4 hours.

16. Personally, I do not want to go back to a sewer.

I won't say harsh comments like "XXX can do better than this!". If Wasteland 1 was developed with technology and wisdom from present, Wasteland 1 could be more open to a various audience. Maybe fans from Wasteland 1 might call me "Filthy casual!", I may agree with that cuz when I played NES, SNES and some 90's PC games from that era... I cannot beat most of these games due to the language barrier (I could not speak English or Japanese while every console games came out in English or Japanese), my clumsy adaptation of a game's mechanic and not enough info (there was internet at one point, yet terrible at googling that time). Yet I do like charming strengths from old school games (well... Fallout 2 which took me 2 months to beat a game and I really liked it, it is the first western CRPG in my life and taught me a lot in English). Still, it is bizarre to see some people (especially more familiar with modernized games) harshly judge certain games by "Total Garbage" even though there is uniqueness unless a game is totally broken. Well, there is no perfect answer to that... I gonna stop my thought for now.

I heard there is a remake of Wasteland 1 is coming, I hope it does well. Time to do Wasteland 2 for a short time and... drawing some stuffs.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » May 23rd, 2019, 7:30 am

Not closely related, but a bit: you can up your climbskill in the dunes pretty easy. I am not sure if they were on the worldmap or in some other Location though. Waiting for the remaster to renew my old wisdom.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 23rd, 2019, 12:02 pm

Grohal wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 7:30 am
Not closely related, but a bit: you can up your climbskill in the dunes pretty easy. I am not sure if they were on the worldmap or in some other Location though. Waiting for the remaster to renew my old wisdom.
The shifting sands; they're in Needles, down by the Temple.
marjane wrote:
May 23rd, 2019, 1:42 am
I won't say harsh comments like "XXX can do better than this!". If Wasteland 1 was developed with technology and wisdom from present, Wasteland 1 could be more open to a various audience.
Nah, you're right: Wasteland is somewhat inconsistent with if you're supposed to use an item with SPACE or directional. I always use ropes and things on SPACE first and then directional if it doesn't work. I've fallen into the sewer river too many times to not be careful.
I heard there is a remake of Wasteland 1 is coming, I hope it does well. Time to do Wasteland 2 for a short time and... drawing some stuffs.
There is indeed. Hopefully Krome will address the rope issue.
Alwa nasci korliri das.