Fire and Ice puzzle

For all The Mage's Tale discussion other than tech support.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

ShadowNose
Initiate

Fire and Ice puzzle

Post by ShadowNose » February 28th, 2019, 1:04 pm

I'm stuck on a puzzle that you come to after entering the flooded area of the sewers. There is a bound book on each side of the hallway - a red crystal in the left one and a white crystal in the right one. A magic mouth is in the wall across the room, but you cannot enter the room. There are 2 statues, the left one with nothing in its hands and the right one with a water fountain. I've frozen the water fountain with an ice lance and I've lit the other one with a fireball. Now a stone tablet with 2 open slots at the top appears and the bindings on the books disappear. I've grabbed each book and placed it on its side of the tablet and handles appear. I can't quite make out what the magic mouth is saying and I can't seem to get the handles on the books to rotate. So I'm not sure what the next step is. Any help?

ploog
Acolyte

Re: Fire and Ice puzzle

Post by ploog » March 2nd, 2019, 1:59 pm

I can’t get to my rig at the moment, but I’d try hovering my hands over where I’d think they should be. Many of the object interactions in Mage’s Tale require not placing your hands physically on the objects with which you’re Interacting. A good 6-inch plus gap seems to work well.

ploog
Acolyte

Post by ploog » March 2nd, 2019, 7:03 pm

Just jumped back in and tried it out. You’re very close.
SPOILER WARNING
Maybe you can’t turn the handles because the handles don’t turn.
And consider what you want the water to do, Moses.

ShadowNose
Initiate

Post by ShadowNose » March 4th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Yes! I figured it out. Thank you for the hint without giving it away! I was finally able to hear the voice as well.

ploog
Acolyte

Post by ploog » March 4th, 2019, 6:28 pm

That was one of the cooler puzzle animations. Though I kinda wished there was some trigger or timeout that would have released the waters if the player didn’t get out fast enough.