The Bard's Tale Trilogy - Bugs or Not Bugs?

For all discussion on all the previous The Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980's games (The Bard's Tale II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous The Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

redwinclass
Novice

Re: The Bard's Tale Trilogy - Bugs or Not Bugs?

Post by redwinclass » January 8th, 2019, 5:24 am

Shouldn't earth and stone creatures be immune to this class of attack? Just saying. Not sure how the originals did it

Fire creatures - immune from breath and burn attacks,
ice creatures etc. etc.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » January 8th, 2019, 5:55 pm

redwinclass wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 5:24 am
Shouldn't earth and stone creatures be immune to this class of attack? Just saying. Not sure how the originals did it

Fire creatures - immune from breath and burn attacks,
ice creatures etc. etc.
From the original BT1 manual, there is this description of STTO (Stone Touch):
STONE TOUCH This spell will often turn an enemy to stone, or a stone monster from living stone to dead stone. But it doesn't always work
I would expect other stoning attacks to work similarly: living stone to dead stone. (Basically, it's just a cheap way of allowing this particular attack to have flavor text without actually implementing stoning resistance, if I had to guess.)
cmibl<enter>

TimN
Initiate

Post by TimN » January 8th, 2019, 6:54 pm

rmichael wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 2:25 pm
BT3 BETA 3.06 just came out and in the release notes the Miasmal Cur has been misnamed the Miasmal Curse.

I can't play until Linux or OSX, could someone confirm if this is a typo in release notes, or if it went into the game itself?
Went down into the Catacombs earlier tonight to check this, and a Miasmal Cur is still a Miasmal Cur. So it's only wrong in the release notes.

rmichael
Initiate

Post by rmichael » January 8th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Drool wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 2:29 pm
If nobody else does, I could probably whip up a little video in a few days.
Thanks, that would be great.

rmichael
Initiate

Post by rmichael » January 8th, 2019, 7:47 pm

TimN wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 6:54 pm
rmichael wrote:
BT3 BETA 3.06 just came out and in the release notes the Miasmal Cur has been misnamed the Miasmal Curse.

I can't play until Linux or OSX, could someone confirm if this is a typo in release notes, or if it went into the game itself?
Went down into the Catacombs earlier tonight to check this, and a Miasmal Cur is still a Miasmal Cur. So it's only wrong in the release notes.
That's good news, thanks Tim.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » January 9th, 2019, 4:23 am

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 5:55 pm
I would expect other stoning attacks to work similarly: living stone to dead stone. (Basically, it's just a cheap way of allowing this particular attack to have flavor text without actually implementing stoning resistance, if I had to guess.)
Thanks. This is why I posted this in the 'bug or not bug' thread, because I wasn't sure. D&D in particular also has the same classification of living and dead stone, but I wasn't sure if the same applied in BT - thanks for confirming.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 9th, 2019, 11:50 am

rmichael wrote:
January 8th, 2019, 7:46 pm
Drool wrote:
January 7th, 2019, 2:29 pm
If nobody else does, I could probably whip up a little video in a few days.
Thanks, that would be great.
It's not very long, but shows off some of the sights.

https://youtu.be/SA8ZkPZZMEM

(also, it runs much smoother in person; I blame Youtube compression)
Alwa nasci korliri das.

rmichael
Initiate

Post by rmichael » January 9th, 2019, 8:00 pm

Drool wrote:
January 9th, 2019, 11:50 am
It's not very long, but shows off some of the sights.
Good to see the Violet Mountain is now a mountain :) The interpretation of Tenebrosia is not too bad as well. Although, with place names such as Shadow Canyon, I imagined it more of an arid landscape with desert colours. Their sky is a nice touch.

Thanks!

Looking forward to playing when the other platforms are released.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » January 10th, 2019, 12:11 pm

I really like Shadow Rock, personally.

Also, I believe the color palette was to make it look like a realm of perpetual twilight.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

jamespodesta
Explorer

Post by jamespodesta » January 10th, 2019, 7:56 pm

rmichael wrote:

Aside, since I can't play myself, I'd appreciate it if anyone with time could upload a few screen recordings of the game. I'm curious to see the more of the art than is shown in the short trailer.
Its just in the release notes/code. All the user facing stuff is still Miasmal Cur.
Lead Programmer
Krome Studios.

ybkara
Initiate

Post by ybkara » January 19th, 2019, 6:20 am

Beta 3.07 - Brilhasti reward is bugged.
Finished it with a Level 1 wizard - and advanced to Archmage 5, but only had Wizard 4 spells.
Loaded up the save before it - and ground out to being a level 1 Archmage, and beat him again - and got advanced to level3 (possible even lost experience), so not enough to change class to crono. Admittedly, picked up those last few levels wasn't hard,mind you - but pretty sure that it's a bug.

For good news - stats didn't go down, at least.. and HP/mana didn't go down to 350, so it's still an improvement over the old system.

KSS
Initiate

Post by KSS » February 26th, 2019, 5:34 am

v3.21

Skara Brae:
- Some journal entries seem incorrect (empty buildings N14E1, N16E1, N19E12; Scarlet Bard N7E21)
- N8E3: forEboding

Tuoweit
Acolyte

Post by Tuoweit » February 27th, 2019, 11:17 pm

Maybe I'm just missing it somehow (although after consulting a walkthrough I don't think so), but the clue word to get past the 2nd level of the Catacombs seems to be missing.

KSS
Initiate

Post by KSS » February 28th, 2019, 2:14 am

Tuoweit wrote:
February 27th, 2019, 11:17 pm
Maybe I'm just missing it somehow (although after consulting a walkthrough I don't think so), but the clue word to get past the 2nd level of the Catacombs seems to be missing.
Indeed; I just completed the tunnel and can confirm the word isn't there.

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » February 28th, 2019, 2:47 am

If you can, I'd recommend posting what would seem to be actual bugs to the steam forums, as it seems the developers are much more active there than here now.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 1st, 2019, 2:57 pm

In 3? Pretty sure I saw it there while testing.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » March 20th, 2019, 10:10 am

This is a warning as well as a bug report. In Gelidia Ice Dungeon, if after entering Lanatir's Tomb you attempt to APAR out, you not only will not move, but the door that let you in will vanish. Since the entire dungeon seems to be APAR and PHDO protected, you are at this point 100% stuck. No escape except by loading a save before you foolishly attempted to take a shortcut out of the dungeon.

Possibly a trigger to open the door from the inside if it's not already there?

Edit: It appears that 3.28 has fixed this problem - at least, the patch notes on the Steam forum say they fixed a bug where failing to APAR off a level would reset all the events on that level, which is the exact problem I had. I haven't actually tested it, though.
Last edited by rakenan on March 31st, 2019, 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

redwinclass
Novice

Post by redwinclass » March 22nd, 2019, 4:34 am

BT3 Version 3.2x

Could you introduce a routine to scrub the journal notes that had appeared out of place (on the city streets). Only a few such journal notes are valid, e.g. SB N8 E3 - The feeling of evil is foreboding.

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » March 26th, 2019, 3:21 pm

redwinclass wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 4:34 am
BT3 Version 3.2x

Could you introduce a routine to scrub the journal notes that had appeared out of place (on the city streets). Only a few such journal notes are valid, e.g. SB N8 E3 - The feeling of evil is foreboding.
I'd really appreciate this too. It's not like it's a game breaking bug, but it's certainly annoying, especially to a neat freak like myself. The map clutter is driving me almost insane enough to restart BT3, even though I'm almost done with Kinestia now.
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » April 24th, 2019, 10:51 am

Hey everyone, it's been a while I have played some classic BT, but recently resumed my BT3 playthrough and almost finished it. It's a cool classic BT experience, so once again I commend Krome Studios for the great work they have done.

However, I have found a few inconsistencies between the C64 version and the remastered one, so I thought I'd post them here. Playing the latest version 3.29(r3327):

- An awful lot of "magic chains" (aka "stuck") and "smoke in your eyes" squares made it into different maps, such as Kinestia and Tarmitia, which I don't remember being there.

- In Tenebrosia, the wall you're supposed to cast PHDO or WAWA on is not a real wall anymore, but an illusionary wall, so you don't need the spells to reach Sceadu.

- The loot tables of Malefia are weird, I'm getting mostly low level drops such as regular chain mails, long swords, etc. (Thus, I gave up trying to get that coveted Staff of the Gods.)

- Tha animation of Nazis have been dumbed down (again), they have lost the armband, the salute and the mouth animation as well. Not sure why this was necessary.

Of course these are relatively minor things amongst the all the great improvements such as the excellent automap, beautiful graphics and so on.