The Bard's Tale IV Update 55: Early 2019 Update

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

phimseto
Developer

The Bard's Tale IV Update 55: Early 2019 Update

Post by phimseto » February 18th, 2019, 10:41 am

In the latest The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep update, we announce our Director's Cut and provide a timeline on its arrival, as well as the Mac & Linux versions. Check it out at the link!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/in ... ts/2418144
We are still in development on the free DLC patch, which also includes a number of other player-requested features and items off of our own post-release support list. As the scope of the patch has expanded (and continues to), we decided that it warranted a more formal title than 2.0. When released, it will turn the game into “The Bard’s Tale IV: Barrows Deep - Director’s Cut”.
All that and more in the link above! Enjoy!

- The inXile Team

RadonGOG
Scholar

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 55: Early 2019 Update

Post by RadonGOG » February 18th, 2019, 11:12 am

Nice read! It sounds like a good procedure outline.
But, my biggest hope is that this is only the first update you´ll give and we´ll see other updates for the rest of your work in the coming days.
One update regarding the progress on Wasteland III-development and one for TormentTides. That one should deal with the missing rewards like the rest of the novels and comics, it should deal with a new way to handle rewards (in case you´ve missed it, the backer portal is down) and it should deal with returning to patch support. There is still much to do, you can read about it over here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=19318&p=199920#p199920

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » February 19th, 2019, 12:14 am

Great news, thanks for the update ! See you in June with my Linux build :)

MParmeter
Initiate

Post by MParmeter » February 19th, 2019, 5:14 pm

What happened in development that this isn't the first release? Why did you send us supporters a broken, incomplete product.

You only get one chance at a first impression and it was blown by something that clearly didn't stand up to any scrutiny. It was promised to have Mac and Linux support, not a year after release but with the release.

Also you're "expanding the scope" of this patch. How does that help us backers. It sounds like the original project all over again! You've over promised in the past. Why should we trust you now over this?

svdp
Acolyte

Post by svdp » February 20th, 2019, 8:52 am

Above we can see a typical example of self-entitlement and whining. Inxile gives us a large dlc for free and assures they will stay commited on the promises made as best they can, even when they've been bought by MS, but yet some keep complaining.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » February 20th, 2019, 12:33 pm

Attacking other posters isn't exactly a better look than "self-entitled whining"...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » February 20th, 2019, 3:29 pm

MParmeter wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 5:14 pm
What happened in development that this isn't the first release? Why did you send us supporters a broken, incomplete product. You only get one chance at a first impression and it was blown by something that clearly didn't stand up to any scrutiny. It was promised to have Mac and Linux support, not a year after release but with the release.
It's far from broken, I've got ~80 hours in myself. Many others have finished it. Check the forums here and on Steam and at GOG before making silly assumptions...;) If you are referring to the fact that the initial game has bugs--as meaning it's "broken"--then I guess every game released these days is "broken" since they all get bug fixes after shipping--at the very least. Some companies, like CDPR or Larian, continue to bug fix and refine their games *years* after the initial release--no one complains as that is service above and beyond. Too many companies bug-fix for six months then drop all support! Poor service and bad business, in my estimation. FYI, Linux and OS X versions are usually *ports* of Windows games which the developer *pays* another company to produce. Waiting should be routine for people insisting on using secondary gaming OSes like Linux distros and OS X versions. I'm surprised you mention it. The wait can be years to infinity, as many Windows games never get ported to a secondary desktop OS. FYI, as well, companies get exactly as many "chances" as the bulk of their customers allow them. What's your hurry? As stated, you should be used to waiting for games if you are running a Linux distro or OS X. Wouldn't you rather have a finished product? See below...
Also you're "expanding the scope" of this patch. How does that help us backers. It sounds like the original project all over again! You've over promised in the past. Why should we trust you now over this?
It helps us backers in that we've already paid for the game and won't be charged for the major patch-overhaul they are doing--just like CDPR or Larian, etc. They are changing many fundamental features of the game, btw! Did you even read the KS update? Some things were asked for by players--others they are doing because they want to further improve their games after they ship--just like CDPR and Larian, to name them again. Sure beats me why someone would complain about that. As a backer, I feel we are really getting our $ worth.

Backer's also get the really terrific remake of the BT Trilogy, etc. Free. Non-backers must pay.

Why should we not trust them?...;) Of course we should "trust" them--what they've announced is far superior to just dropping BTIV where it is and moving to something else, imo. Which is something that, again, many developers *do*! Those are the people I don't trust!

I get you are miffed because you wanted either a Linux version or a Mac version--you don't say which. But as I mentioned earlier, you should be quite used to a waiting game there, because the wait for ports of those Windows games can be years or you'll never get them at all. You could, of course, think about dual-booting with Win10x64, so that you could be sure to get these games when they first ship, couldn't you? Don't blame InXile for your choice of OS. In terms of gaming, to coin an old phrase, "Windows is where the action is," for developers and end users who *play games.* InXile is a game company--not an OS-promotion company, etc.

Please don't expect inXile or any other company doing a Linux/OS X port of their primary Windows game to:

1) Ship initial version,

2) Pay for alternative OS port

3) Create an extensive director's cut

4) Pay for another Director's cut port to an alternative OS

They'd have to have rocks in their heads to do that, imo...;) That's why they've said it's not going to happen. Tired of waiting and playing second-fiddle for Linux or OS X games? Then dual-boot--or else get an a Windows emulator and see how that works for you. I'd advise the dual boot, myself. But those are your choices, atm. As a backer I am a bit disappointed that I have to wait for June for BTIV because I want it now--yessssss, I want it...;) But this is the way the cookie sometimes crumbles--a wiser, better man than me once said, "In your patience you possess your soul." It's worth at least your consideration. I expect that everything is going to turn out just fine.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » February 20th, 2019, 5:43 pm

MParmeter wrote:
What happened in development that this isn't the first release? Why did you send us supporters a broken, incomplete product.

You only get one chance at a first impression and it was blown by something that clearly didn't stand up to any scrutiny.
My guess is that they're going to try selling this "Director's Cut" as a separate product so that it can get separate reviews. They're probably hoping that people who were not impressed with the initial release won't be bothered to write negative reviews for the new one.
MParmeter wrote:
They seem to be a very inexperienced group of developers. Between not having much community engagement and being disconnected from the game's core audience to expanding project scope after failing to get the basics right, it is really quite telling. Maybe with some help from Microsoft, they'll do better with this "Director's Cut", but I'm not going to hold my breath.
cmibl<enter>

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » February 21st, 2019, 12:59 am

waltc wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 3:29 pm
I get you are miffed because you wanted either a Linux version or a Mac version--you don't say which. But as I mentioned earlier, you should be quite used to a waiting game there, because the wait for ports of those Windows games can be years or you'll never get them at all.
That might be the case in general, but NOT when inXile promised a Linux/Mac version in the Kickstarter, and people gave them money in advance expecting to get a Linux/Mac version without being second-class citizens (especially since with WL2 and TTON we got the Linux/Mac versions on day 1).
waltc wrote:
February 20th, 2019, 3:29 pm
You could, of course, think about dual-booting with Win10x64
Dual booting is not an option for me. First I would need to buy a Windows license, why should I have to ? Then I'm a very busy person, and when I play games I multitask - read email, browse the web, do some stuff in parallel, sometimes even "light work", especially doing load times, but not only. That's definitely not an option if I dual boot. And finally, part of why I use Linux is because I don't want to maintain a Windows, which is a lot of hassle between virus and antivirus, heavy and painful drivers, inexistent package manager so you need to keep every single application up-to-date separately, internal tendency to bloat and self-destruct, ... And then there are all the privacy issues of Windows 10.

If inXile doesn't make want to make a Linux or Mac version, sure it's their choice, but then I won't back them, buy their game, spread the word about their games, ... but when they promise a Linux and Mac version in the KS pitch, and then take many months to actually deliver it, I legitimately feel frustrated.

But then I'm also full of understanding for inXile being (until recently at least) a small studio, and operating under tight budget and manpower constraints, so as long as they actually deliver a Linux version in a reasonable timeframe, I'll forgive them, and continue supporting them as long as they continue making Linux versions. Which I fear won't happen anymore, but that's another story.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » February 21st, 2019, 1:51 am

Thanks for the heads up! Won't be playing it, because I'll be busy playing the BT3 Remaster and other good games, but it's nice to know that people with Linux, Mac, PS4 and Xbox will be able to look at it soon and play with a controller to boot!

Do the new portraits include male elves, female dwarves, etc (with their associated models), or is it a Bill Gates skin for the bard? Who wouldn't want one?

The puzzle skipping song sounds good, we only need a new song for skipping combat now (Mangar's Mallet comes only in mid game), so we can "enjoy the game".

Cheers!

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » February 21st, 2019, 12:07 pm

ZiN wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 1:51 am
The puzzle skipping song sounds good, we only need a new song for skipping combat now (Mangar's Mallet comes only in mid game), so we can "enjoy the game".
ZiN! Happy New Year! Glad to see that you're still around.
Agree on the above. ;) As long as we're tossing out ideas, I think they should also add an intro skipping song, so we can get right to making a party of 6 characters and don't have to watch a bunch of inquisit*cough*paladins hanging and immolating people while driving a premade character.
cmibl<enter>

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » May 8th, 2019, 9:22 am

As June draws near, I'm really looking forward to picking up the (BT4) game again--I'll start a new game, of course. One thing slightly troubled me, though, in rereading through the last update detailing the June release for the DC. I understand perfectly well why it doesn't make sense to release Mac/Linux versions if indeed the Windows DC version is not itself complete. No point in releasing Mac/Linux versions that that also have to be separately patched to the DC version at a later date, it would be a colossal waste of time and money--everything is fine up to this point.

But, it looks like there's no getting around the fact that you are apparently holding back the Windows version of the DC until you finish porting the Windows DC to OS X and whatever Linux distro you are supporting. I don't see how this can be false, actually, since you've announced that both the Linux and the OS X versions of the DC will be released on the same day as the Windows DC [Update 55]; yet, you have also stated that you cannot port the OS X and Linux DC versions until after the Windows DC version is complete. Which is only rational. So, you can see the conundrum. The only way both statements can be true is if you hold back the Windows version to effect a simultaneous release for all three DC versions of the game.

It's May 8--please, if you have the Windows version of the DC complete, and are now busy porting the game to the secondary OS X and Linux OSes, would you guys at least consider at least letting the original BT4 Kickstarter backers (like me) have the Windows game now? I love Grim Dawn and its two expansions, it's tons of fun and is practically a masterpiece now as its devs have been updating the game for the last six years--just got another update yesterday!--but I had 70+ hours into BT4 when you guys announced the 2.0/DC version, and I was nowhere near finished when I left off. Right now, I'd much rather fire up BT4 DC for another 70 hours. It sounds like BT4 DC is going to be a major hit, if Update 55 is honored in its particulars. Gimme....;) Arghghghghggggghhhh....;) On my knees, pounding my fists on the ground--moaning in BT4 withdrawal symptoms and you guys won't give me my fix! Have a heart...!

[Psssst--Phimseto--c'mere. I've got this magnificent Rolex knock off you can have if you can , er, grease the skids a bit! Imagine the envious looks your coworkers will be giving you--steaming green with envy--as you casually stroll by each of their desks at various times and lift up your "$15,000 Rolex" so that the glass chips catch the light, and say, in haughty tones, "Oh-ho! It's eleven o'clock already! Fancy that!" Thinkaboudit, eh? If Fargo sees you with that watch he'll think, "Hmmmm, Phimseto knows quality when he sees it--knows his watches! Time to give that boy a big, fat raise!"]

Wintermute_of_Cof
Novice

Post by Wintermute_of_Cof » May 10th, 2019, 3:39 pm

waltc wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 9:22 am
the secondary OS X and Linux OSes,
Linux and OS X were both promised as primary OSes on the Kickstarter.