Bard's Tale Roadmap after BT3

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Malevolus
Initiate

Bard's Tale Roadmap after BT3

Post by Malevolus » November 8th, 2018, 6:44 pm

So for the immediate future, the obvious focus will be fixing some minor bugs and releasing BT3 but I was just curious if there has been any consideration for future usage of the Bard's Tale classic engine. There have been a number of posts about the love of nostalgia and desire for a more classic focused new release or construction set. Is this something being considered? I don't want to criticize BT IV at all but I know for some of us, we would love to see (and would prefer) a new release using the classic engine.

Has this been discussed and is it under consideration? Having seen how well the first 2 remasters are, I personally would commit to a full price game release if it was offered. I apologize if this has already been asked, but I did not see a specific forum topic on it.

Once again, thank you so very much for the remasters that have brought back so many memories from childhood and one of my favorite game series of all time!

rakenan
Scholar

Re: Bard's Tale Roadmap after BT3

Post by rakenan » November 8th, 2018, 8:25 pm

I believe that Krome is working on a remaster of the original Wasteland after they're done with BT3 and Legacy Mode. After that, we'll see. I'd love to see them contracted to make a series of Bard's Tale games in the style of the remastered trilogy. They could call them "Tales of the Unknown" as the series was originally supposed to be called, obviously starting with TotU Volume 2. Assuming InXile obtained the right to that name when they obtained the rest of the series.
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

see
Novice

Post by see » November 8th, 2018, 8:39 pm

So far, we haven't heard anything about one.

(Reasons I favor a remaster engine Construction Set rather than a remaster engine new release:

1) It completes the set of classic remasters, since there historically was a Construction Set.
2) It avoids any and all possible market confusion or debate with BT4 over what's the "real" sequel to the trilogy.
3) It avoids arguments over whether the story design is consistent with the classics.
4) It avoids any need, real or imagined, to commission new art/music/etc.)

Parody
Initiate

Post by Parody » November 8th, 2018, 11:42 pm

Dragon Wars would be my preference, though I'm not sure what mixture of diplomacy and legal agreements might be needed for that to happen.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 9th, 2018, 12:13 am

rakenan wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 8:25 pm
I believe that Krome is working on a remaster of the original Wasteland after they're done with BT3 and Legacy Mode.
According to the Kickstarter updates, this is correct. So that's probably going to put us half-way through 2019 before they're done with this project.

Beyond that, who knows? Don't even know if Krome would be interested in more such work.

Personally, I'd be amused if they used the other (released) game to use the Wasteland engine: Escape From Hell
Alwa nasci korliri das.

miasma
Acolyte

Post by miasma » November 9th, 2018, 9:15 am

Parody wrote:
November 8th, 2018, 11:42 pm
Dragon Wars would be my preference, though I'm not sure what mixture of diplomacy and legal agreements might be needed for that to happen.
That would definitely be cool, too, though I can't see much market for it, as I don't think Dragon Wars is nearly as well known as Bard's Tale or Wasteland, even though I found it superior to both.
How about a "Centauri Alliance" remaster? (Okay, admittedly, that's even less likely than Dragon Wars.)

astrobryguy
Initiate

Post by astrobryguy » November 18th, 2018, 8:31 pm

I would love to see Krome bring BT Trilogy to other platforms. Linux/Mac of course, but also iOS and Android. BTT is made with the Unity engine, so cross-platform support shouldn't be too difficult.

Sermon
Novice

Post by Sermon » November 29th, 2018, 2:37 pm

I'd be extremely disappointed if they'd start working on a Wasteland Remaster (or any other game, for that matter) before porting the BT Remastered Trilogy to MacOS and Linux.

lindsayparmenter
Acolyte

Post by lindsayparmenter » December 3rd, 2018, 4:35 am

FYI, we have multiple project teams at Krome.

FraterKhaos
Initiate

Post by FraterKhaos » December 3rd, 2018, 6:10 am

What I personally hope is a first must!!! after BT3 is to bring up the missing city pictures / monster portraits to BT2 (undead!).

To see the same green zombies, vampires, dragons etc. for 2 complete games, gets annoying quite a bit. To re-use so many of the BT1 art in the monster department feels at times like a sign for lack of development time here and there...

As much as I truly love the remasters with its feel and all the great additions - before thinking of ports and other games, please add the original pictures in!

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » December 3rd, 2018, 9:02 am

I would hope for a Linux/Mac versions of the remaster...

Milamber33
Novice

Post by Milamber33 » December 4th, 2018, 1:58 am

I don't know what they have and haven't committed to, but if they have promised there will be Mac and/or Linux ports then they will deliver them, despite the Microsoft acquisition. It's been stated publicly that the Microsoft acquisition will definitely not impact any existing commitments, even to competing platforms.

As for the reuse of artwork from the first game in the later ones, I believe that was a deliberate decision to maintain consistency. That being said, there have been a number of requests for the option of using alternate artwork based on the different games and even different versions of the game, so it might come in once BT3 drops and they start working on polishing things. They'll need that artwork anyway to do Legacy mode properly.

Iceman1972
Initiate

Bard's Tale Remastered for Mac OS

Post by Iceman1972 » February 5th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Hi everyone.

Like so many people, I am hanging for the BT Remasters for Mac OS. I jumped onto GOG in November last year and purchased the BT Remasters, despite there being no Mac Version. I stuffed around trying to get it to work with Wine which was a complete waste of time.

I decided to revisit BT1 and (currently) BT2 through Boxer/DOSBOX so I could relive the magic again.

I have produced a completely re-designed Bard's Tale 1 and 2 Manual along with a set of Mapping Paper and the Spell Books as individual files so they can be printed off and used, independently from the Manual. I'm a Graphic Designer who had some free time!

I'd love to share these in some capacity as those documents really helped me through BT1 and BT2 currently.

I'd be interested to know if anyone would find these useful. I don't want to infringe on copyright - I have credited EA in my Manual Documents.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that for the moment and I am really looking forward to getting a Mac OS version of the remasters.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » February 6th, 2019, 7:07 pm

If thebruce hasn't already reached out to you, you might want to contact him. This could be something he might be interested in popularizing on his BT Online site.
cmibl<enter>

Keighn
Initiate

Post by Keighn » February 13th, 2019, 11:58 pm

BTCS, Dragon Wars, and Escape from hell would be nice or even swords and serpents.

I sort of wish there was an option to be able to switch in personal mp3s for the songs in TBT. The current ones get so repetitive I just turn off the music sound.

I was unaware of repeated art. Which mobs?
Last edited by Keighn on February 27th, 2019, 7:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » February 14th, 2019, 6:53 am

Linux (and Mac) version of the remasters, please !

astrobryguy
Initiate

Post by astrobryguy » March 3rd, 2019, 6:44 am

kilobug wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 6:53 am
Linux (and Mac) version of the remasters, please !
And iOS/Android!

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » March 5th, 2019, 9:03 am

I hope Linux version is planned. When engine like Unity natively supports it, it shouldn't be required to run it in Wine (though it works relatively well using Wine+dxvk).