Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen (Kickstarter Launches)

Discuss RPGs, video games, films, series, books. No political, religious or other serious debates, this is a hobby forum.

Moderator: SagaDC

DNACowboy
Scholar

Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen (Kickstarter Launches)

Post by DNACowboy » October 17th, 2018, 6:53 am

A classic single-player RPG featuring a party-based character system and tactical turn-based combat evolved from the SRD 3.5e ruleset.

VIDEO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hRZt0jQVR0

KICKSTARTER:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ce ... ref=arctnm

This poster receives no commercial consideration or work from Inxile, he truly believes Bards Tale IV: Barrows Deep to be a great game and one he enjoys on a daily basis

phimseto
Adventurer

Re: Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen (Kickstarter Launches)

Post by phimseto » October 17th, 2018, 7:52 am

I actually backed that game last night, but would you mind posting this in the General Discussions board instead of here?

viewforum.php?f=19

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » October 17th, 2018, 8:00 am

Yeah, looks good. Big thread about it over at the Codex:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?t ... er.119661/

The interface is a little... erm... early 2000's but I like the sound of the combat.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 17th, 2018, 10:57 am

phimseto wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 7:52 am
I actually backed that game last night, but would you mind posting this in the General Discussions board instead of here?

viewforum.php?f=19
Moved it.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 17th, 2018, 11:24 pm

Looks interesting.... Turn based?
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » October 18th, 2018, 1:54 am

Woolfe wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 11:24 pm
Yup, turn and hex based which should be interesting.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

DNACowboy
Scholar

Post by DNACowboy » October 18th, 2018, 5:24 am

phimseto wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 7:52 am

viewforum.php?f=19
Me too, after saying I wouldn't back any more games following Underworld Ascendant. Sorry for posting the news in the incorrect forum.
Themadcow wrote:
October 18th, 2018, 1:54 am
Woolfe wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 11:24 pm
Yup, turn and hex based which should be interesting.
I have pledged to include pre-alpha etc so will (any nda's aside) post here and give subscribers feedback during development.
This poster receives no commercial consideration or work from Inxile, he truly believes Bards Tale IV: Barrows Deep to be a great game and one he enjoys on a daily basis

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 18th, 2018, 6:02 am

Got a chance to look at the kickstarter, ... sigh... It does look good.

The Engine is mostly done as well, so the kickstarter is just about content, and a small manageable amount as well. I like that. Kinda like what Larian did.

Not a whole lot of detail on the devs, just the 2 founders...

Dammit looks like I'm backing something new as well, so much for not backing things anymore ... :lol:

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » October 18th, 2018, 6:23 am

Damn, that pitch video... I won't be able to resist backing... er... I mean pre-ordering this, despite thinking I won't back anything after InXile's double fail of ToN and Barrows. But that pitch video... Just look at the BT4 one of Fargo talking bullshit and showing nothing, and I would feel bad if I didn't back this one, after backing that one. Whoever did this pitch video definitely did their homework about how to attract those disappointed/angry old-schoolers, who feel betrayed by games such as Barrows Deep, etc. Hopefully they also did their homework about making a good game as well! We'll see.

daveyd
Novice

Post by daveyd » October 18th, 2018, 4:30 pm

I've backed it. Pretty excited for this game. If it can match the combat quality of Temple of Elemental Evil but have a longer / better story it may well become my favorite CRPG.

Btw, It isn't mentioned in the Kickstarter but Guido Henkel (producer of Planescape: Torment and lead designer of Realms of Arkania trilogy) revealed that he was working on the game as creative director until about February of this year. Unfortunately it seems Ceres couldn't afford to pay him a salary so he left in search of a paying gig. But he contributed to the lore of the world and perhaps he could be brought back on the team in some capacity if the KS is very successful.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 18th, 2018, 5:51 pm

ZiN wrote:
October 18th, 2018, 6:23 am
Damn, that pitch video... I won't be able to resist backing... er... I mean pre-ordering this, despite thinking I won't back anything after InXile's double fail of ToN and Barrows. But that pitch video... Just look at the BT4 one of Fargo talking bullshit and showing nothing, and I would feel bad if I didn't back this one, after backing that one. Whoever did this pitch video definitely did their homework about how to attract those disappointed/angry old-schoolers, who feel betrayed by games such as Barrows Deep, etc. Hopefully they also did their homework about making a good game as well! We'll see.
I didn't even watch the video... :lol: Kickstarter Videos are pure feelgood marketing.

BlakeStone
Explorer

Post by BlakeStone » October 20th, 2018, 9:42 am

Woolfe wrote:
October 18th, 2018, 5:51 pm
I didn't even watch the video... :lol: Kickstarter Videos are pure feelgood marketing.
Unknown dev studio, too good to be true video. I would tread carefully when thinking about backing this. My googlefu was unable to verify much.
A bunch of raw recruits and you untied the goddamn Gordian knot. -General Vargas

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » October 20th, 2018, 4:38 pm

BlakeStone wrote:
October 20th, 2018, 9:42 am
Woolfe wrote:
October 18th, 2018, 5:51 pm
Unknown dev studio, too good to be true video. I would tread carefully when thinking about backing this. My googlefu was unable to verify much.
Perhaps, the 2 names mentioned have been around for a while, and the combat gameplay video looks like what I would expect after 2 years of dev work.
And as I said, being that the engine is mostly done, and the KS is mostly about content.... Makes me look favourably.

You are correct though, thus far the only references I can find are forum based... very little from the usual sorts of game media.

Hopefully that will change over the next month.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » October 23rd, 2018, 1:30 am

The project sounds interesting, but so far they don't know if there will be a Linux version so I can't back it since I'll have no way to play it... but they'll say a few days before the end if there will be a Linux version, so I'll see then.

DNACowboy
Scholar

Post by DNACowboy » October 23rd, 2018, 2:53 am

Here is an update: The project has already garnered half of its total funding within 72 hours:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ce ... ect_update

Also, incredible news; the Italian artist Francesca Baerald is joining the development team, here is a selection of her previous work:

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 23rd, 2018, 11:35 am

Gotta admit, I like that art style...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 23rd, 2018, 11:52 am

In Realms Beyond, you will find the tactical turn-based combat of the Gold Box Games, Temple of Elemental Evil and Dark Sun
Gold Box was turn based and ToEE was RTwP. Which is it?
Alwa nasci korliri das.

daveyd
Novice

Post by daveyd » October 23rd, 2018, 2:43 pm

Drool wrote:
October 23rd, 2018, 11:52 am
In Realms Beyond, you will find the tactical turn-based combat of the Gold Box Games, Temple of Elemental Evil and Dark Sun
Gold Box was turn based and ToEE was RTwP. Which is it?
Uh, you're mistaken ToEE is also turn-based.

DNACowboy
Scholar

Post by DNACowboy » October 29th, 2018, 2:35 am

Drool wrote:
October 23rd, 2018, 11:35 am
Gotta admit, I like that art style...
The team have just released new artwork showing some of the in-game items, today they are showcasing hand-crafted items:

Here you can see how each piece, once found, finally comes together to make The Singing Spear:

And here are Queen Mirvala's sandals, see how the jewels once found seriously enhance the shoes capabilities:
Queen Mirvala’s Sandals are a pair of enchanted sandals once worn by the legendary sorceress-queen of the lost civilization of Virduris. Six gleaming jewels were set into them, each one imbued with a different enchantment – turning them into one of the most powerful pieces of equipment in the entire game. But while the sandals themselves are quite easy to find, still worn by the ancient queen’s magically preserved corpse, they are missing the enchanted jewels that turn them into such a powerful item. Mirvala’s tomb had been looted by graverobbers long ago, who pried out the gleaming jewels and left the leather sandals on her corpse. Tracking them all down won’t be easy, but it will be a worthwhile and rewarding quest. With each jewel you set back into the sandals, they gain an additional enchantment.

Here is one of the game's blacksmiths:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ce ... ect_update

While we're here, check out the notable map system:

Some markers will be placed on the map automatically, triggered by interactions with objects in the world. As you can see on the screenshot, four of the markers look a little different. They haven’t been set by the player, but were placed after the player received some new information about the area. Areto’s Tomb was marked when the player read the inscription above the door, for example. The chamber of sacrifice was marked when he examined an offering bowl.

In addition to placing your own markers on the map, you can also write your own notes into the journal. Realms Beyond gives you all the tools you need to keep your information organized, without holding your hand. Important information is recorded automatically, but sorted by which character told it to you, not sorted by which quest it is related to – this way, you are free to make your own connections and come to your own conclusions, without the game doing it for you.

Jalis
Acolyte

Post by Jalis » October 29th, 2018, 7:28 pm

Worried about this one... they've been stagnant in the $70k area for several days. With 2 weeks remaining, I'm sure they'll get an influx of backers waiting to see if it'll make it, but... it looks to have ground to a halt. Which would be a shame.