Analysis of Steam activity for BT4

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: Analysis of Steam activity for BT4

Post by Gizmo » October 15th, 2018, 11:38 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
October 15th, 2018, 7:08 pm
Also, those time-in-game figures are looking pretty dismal. That's not broad audience excitement right there.
One has to wonder if those numbers approximate the audience they would have gotten with a game that was more in keeping with the Bard's Tale series—and made at the significantly lesser scope & expense one might assume of a modern day Bard's Tale clone. :|

They probably could have come in way under budget by that route, and still snared the Bard's Tale crowd. If only... because then we might have gotten a Bard's Tale 5. :cry:

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » October 16th, 2018, 2:17 am

Barrows Deep has some interesting tags on the Steam store, such as "character customization", "story rich" and "dungeon crawler". I have flagged these as inapproriate of course, but still, that doesn't keep Steam's algorithm to show Wizardry 6,7,8 and freaking Legend of Grimrock of all things as "more like this". Luckily, The Bard's Tale Trilogy doesn't show up there for me! : D

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » October 22nd, 2018, 2:14 am

Active peak users trending pretty consistently, with 455 peak vs. 597 last week vs. 754 previous. Player base dropping by around 20-25% per week, which is not unusual for single player games unless they pick up significant word of mouth. Something that might be interesting this week is that certain (non-pirate) online Steam key sellers are offering BT4 at roughly $15, which might tempt in people waiting for a decent discount - but I doubt there is enough awareness of these sites to cause a new user spike.

https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/the-bar ... eam-cd-key?

Pathfinder is in a similar phase now with 13k this weekend down from 16k last. Pathfinder is now roughly at the same peak user count as Divinity OS 2 - which is great for Larian when you consider that OS2 launched a year ago.

With virtually no high profile games of the blobber genre released these days, it's hard to give a fair comparison of activity like-for-like, but I'd guess that M&MX is the closest game in terms of budget, profile and type (arguably M&MX is closer to BT1-3 in gameplay than BT4 was). M&M X was returning something like 3000 active users a month after release.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

Applicator
Initiate

Post by Applicator » October 23rd, 2018, 4:34 pm

Themadcow wrote:
October 22nd, 2018, 2:14 am
With virtually no high profile games of the blobber genre released these days, it's hard to give a fair comparison of activity like-for-like, but I'd guess that M&MX is the closest game in terms of budget, profile and type (arguably M&MX is closer to BT1-3 in gameplay than BT4 was). M&M X was returning something like 3000 active users a month after release.
MMX was a chore to complete and was significantly less fun than MM3-5 which I really enjoyed. BTIV in my opinion is better in every aspect. Graphics, story, combat (even if it gets too easy mid-late game), puzzles. I'm surprised so many people are up in arms over what I feel has been a great addition to the series.

balinor
Acolyte

Post by balinor » October 24th, 2018, 1:14 am

Applicator wrote:
October 23rd, 2018, 4:34 pm
Themadcow wrote:
October 22nd, 2018, 2:14 am
MMX was a chore to complete and was significantly less fun than MM3-5 which I really enjoyed. BTIV in my opinion is better in every aspect. Graphics, story, combat (even if it gets too easy mid-late game), puzzles. I'm surprised so many people are up in arms over what I feel has been a great addition to the series.
We'll have to disagree here. While I had issues with MMX in many places and the way they just left the engine unpolished was abysmal every other aspect of the game is far superior to BT4, enough so that I have completed multiple play-throughs of it whereas I haven't even made it to the half way mark of BT4 before uninstalling.

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » October 24th, 2018, 3:12 am

balinor wrote:
October 24th, 2018, 1:14 am
We'll have to disagree here. While I had issues with MMX in many places and the way they just left the engine unpolished was abysmal every other aspect of the game is far superior to BT4, enough so that I have completed multiple play-throughs of it whereas I haven't even made it to the half way mark of BT4 before uninstalling.
I agree. I completed M&MX and enjoyed it immensely. It's rare that I don't finish a dungeon crawler even if it's not amazing - but I doubt I'll get through all of BT4. That's despite being a huge fan of BT1-3 and barely having played M&M 4-5 (maybe that's why...).

Back on topic though, thanks to the addition of BT2, the BT Remasters had a decent day yesterday with just over 200 active users. Will be interesting to see whether that carries through into the weekend.

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » October 29th, 2018, 1:24 am

In the last 30 days 324 people played this game on average. 324. and the numbers are drastically declining over the last month.
Also, in the last 5 days more people have been playing the remastered Trilogy than BT4. (90, compared to 66)
The ratings also only marginally went up, and are still stuck in the nirvana of *average*.
I think it is safe to say that Bards Tale 4 is a failure.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » October 29th, 2018, 2:11 am

That's quite a shame, considering what could have been: https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/br ... 202944111/

*(Though not unpredictable considering its radical divergence from form—and the associated exorbitant cost).

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » October 29th, 2018, 2:20 am

Gizmo wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 2:11 am
That's quite a shame, considering what could have been: https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/br ... 202944111/

*(Though not unpredictable considering its radical divergence from form—and the associated exorbitant cost).
This basically shows you how far InXile strayed from understanding what people (and their fans) wanted. If he honestly thought that THIS game would sell 2.000.000 times. Considering that 33.000 backed this game, and currently less than 100 play it, i would be surprised if they sold 2.000 copys.

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » October 29th, 2018, 3:46 am

Not sure about the BT4 vs Remasters bit:

https://steamdb.info/graph/?compare=566090,843260

BT4 weekend peak: 353
BT1-3 peak: 291

It's a close thing, but BT4 still has the marginal edge over the remasters. Of course, this is somewhat damning praise.

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » October 29th, 2018, 4:29 am

well, then take a look at this chart.

https://steamdb.info/graph/?compare=566090,843260&week

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » October 29th, 2018, 5:06 am

That chart says exactly what I was just saying but split into hourly time-bands, so I'm a little confused. It is quite interesting though, that during "peak" daily activity we see more differentiation - either because BT4 has a bigger US based audience (compared to Europe) or because BT Remastered is better for short bursts of activity.

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » October 29th, 2018, 6:54 am

Themadcow wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 5:06 am
That chart says exactly what I was just saying but split into hourly time-bands, so I'm a little confused. It is quite interesting though, that during "peak" daily activity we see more differentiation - either because BT4 has a bigger US based audience (compared to Europe) or because BT Remastered is better for short bursts of activity.
BT4 has better numbers during 'kiddie time', while BT rematers is better at night, where the adults play.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » October 30th, 2018, 12:09 am

Lanatir wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 6:54 am
Themadcow wrote:
BT4 has better numbers during 'kiddie time', while BT rematers is better at night, where the adults play.
Adults are the ones that need to go to bed to wake up in the morning to go to work. It is the kids that stay up all night to play games, with the exception to the adults that work over nights.

Anyways, the main reason why BT4 isn't doing so well is squarely on the performance/bug issues, secondary because it doesn't have the hand holding features that people want. There really are not that many reviews from people complaining about the game play itself, or not being like the originals.

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » October 30th, 2018, 2:55 am

eisberg wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 12:09 am
Lanatir wrote:
Themadcow wrote:
Adults are the ones that need to go to bed to wake up in the morning to go to work. It is the kids that stay up all night to play games, with the exception to the adults that work over nights.

Anyways, the main reason why BT4 isn't doing so well is squarely on the performance/bug issues, secondary because it doesn't have the hand holding features that people want. There really are not that many reviews from people complaining about the game play itself, or not being like the originals.
You mean except all the reviews complaining about the shitty combat, the overabundance of puzzles, the crappy skill system, and so on?
No matter how you rose tint it for yourself. The game FAILED. Period.

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » October 30th, 2018, 12:02 pm

eisberg wrote:
Lanatir wrote:
Themadcow wrote:

odd... In the circles I come to, people are usually pretty serious about their kids going to bed before themselves. I don't think I've met many kids that can stay up late on normal weekdays except for when they have vacation (the need to get to school in the morning and all that).

Us adults, however, seem to have a more fluent schedule, especially since workhours for people having a job differentiate alot. So where I come from, kids go to bed and adults stay up late.

Maybe you frequent areas where the parents can't control their kids and they all go 'gangster' and homie style? Although I can't really imagine those kind of kids playing games like bards tale...

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » October 30th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Lanatir wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 2:55 am
eisberg wrote:
Lanatir wrote:

You mean except all the reviews complaining about the shitty combat, the overabundance of puzzles, the crappy skill system, and so on?
No matter how you rose tint it for yourself. The game FAILED. Period.
There are not that many of those by comparison to the performance/bug complaints. Which is why I stated the vast majority, which means it is not all of them, just the majority of them.

And yes, the game may have failed, we really don't know for sure since we are not privy to the actual sales, and that is mostly because of the performance/bugs. If they game didn't release with the performance/bugs problems, then no doubt the reviews would have been massively different to the positive and more people would have been playing.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » October 30th, 2018, 3:39 pm

Spectralshade wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 12:02 pm
eisberg wrote:
Lanatir wrote:

odd... In the circles I come to, people are usually pretty serious about their kids going to bed before themselves. I don't think I've met many kids that can stay up late on normal weekdays except for when they have vacation (the need to get to school in the morning and all that).

Us adults, however, seem to have a more fluent schedule, especially since workhours for people having a job differentiate alot. So where I come from, kids go to bed and adults stay up late.

Maybe you frequent areas where the parents can't control their kids and they all go 'gangster' and homie style? Although I can't really imagine those kind of kids playing games like bards tale...
Kids who are in college, or should be college, or barely out of college are still kids. When I was a college kid I stayed up way late nearly everyday, and that lasted for a little while after I graduated, then when I was no longer a kid all that came to a screeching halt.

So no, most adults are going to be bed before midnight, it is the kids that are staying up past midnight.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 30th, 2018, 3:54 pm

eisberg wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 3:39 pm
So no, most adults are going to be bed before midnight, it is the kids that are staying up past midnight.
I haven't regularly gone to bed before midnight in nearly thirty years. Further, I wager there's more people doing shift work than 9-5 workers who go to bed before midnight every night.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » October 30th, 2018, 4:05 pm

Drool wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 3:54 pm
eisberg wrote:
October 30th, 2018, 3:39 pm
I haven't regularly gone to bed before midnight in nearly thirty years. Further, I wager there's more people doing shift work than 9-5 workers who go to bed before midnight every night.
~77% of workers leave to go to work between the hours of 5:00am to 9am
http://overflow.solutions/demographic-d ... -for-work/

So no, people staying up past midnight are going to be mostly kids or basically 2nd/3rd shift(overnight workers), which are going to be the minority, the adults are in bed because they have to head to work between 530am to 9am