Bard's Tale IV Reviews

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

noglasseshanningan
Initiate

71 Metacritic score is pretty decent

Post by noglasseshanningan » October 17th, 2018, 5:40 pm

Considering the heart ache around here, considering 30 odd year wait for a game in production only a few years, considering the terribly buggy and obviously rushed game with apparent pacing issues the game still is 71 metacritic.

That's absolutely great news and very encouraging for me. I really look forward to playing what seems to be by all reasonable peoples' accounts a very enjoyable game. Without bugs it sounds like an 85. I see Underworld Ascendant getting torn to shreds too, another game I really am looking forward to, and I wonder if Larian studios made a pact with the devil or something to actually get some respect from fans pre release. Somehow they withheld entire acts of their game and people still give it 10 out of 10. Why is that?

Depili
Scholar

Re: 71 Metacritic score is pretty decent

Post by Depili » October 18th, 2018, 1:47 am

BT4 was really enjoyable and the bugs were quite minor. I quite nicely scratched the itch left by grimrocks 1 and 2. But unfortunately I guess the audience for such games is quite small and so the initial product not meeting all of the expectations raised a negative outlook at the start and further limited things. Sadly I very much doubt that there will be bard's tale 5 :(

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » October 18th, 2018, 2:28 am

While 71 might sound OK, any game scoring less than 75% (and ideally over 80%) is pretty terrible in Metacritic world.

https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games ... laying/all

75% is the tipping point from Mixed (orange) to Positive review score (green). Some developers, notably Obsidian on Fallout: New Vegas, didn't get paid out on their bonus unless the Metascore was over 85%.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/obsid ... 0-6366337/

While Pathfinder also scores 71, it's got much higher user review scores which helps offset the average critic response. It's not even the best scoring PC Dungeon Crawler in the last month which goes to the more traditional blobber mechanics of Labyrinth of Refrain (79 Meta, 7.8 User).

BT4 actually got it's highest scores from reviews in the first few days, which is odd given it's release state.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » October 18th, 2018, 4:19 am

Depili wrote:
October 18th, 2018, 1:47 am
It quite nicely scratched the itch left by grimrocks 1 and 2. But unfortunately I guess the audience for such games is quite small and so the initial product not meeting all of the expectations raised a negative outlook at the start and further limited things.
Further limited by dividing even that niche audience with their strange design ideas, which some classic dungeon crawler fans - such as myself - didn't receive well. For me, it didn't quite scratch the itch left by Grimrocks, never mind my Bard's Tale nostalgia itch and as you can see, I'm not alone with that.
Themadcow wrote:
October 18th, 2018, 2:28 am
While Pathfinder also scores 71, it's got much higher user review scores which helps offset the average critic response.
Despite that, Pathfinder still consistently gets 10.000 players daily compared to Barrows' 300ish. Both games got released in beta-state, although the Russians were at least on-time with their release, as opposed to InXile's one extra year in development beyond the estimate. Owlcat also delivered exactly what they promised in the Kickstarter: A complex and deep, challenging, non-linear RPG, with lots of dialogue and quests where the player has many choices. Barrows Deep's systems are as bare-bones as they can get, and it is also very linear. So, in Pathfinder's case I can see that there ought to be lots of bugs and issues, given that how ambitious the game is. The same can't be said about Barrows Deep.

Themadcow
Explorer

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by Themadcow » October 18th, 2018, 7:22 am

Yeah, some Kickstarters don't even get off the ground if the pitch doesn't look like what the fans want' to see. Seven Dragon Saga by TSI should have been a slam-dunk, given it's close ties to the Gold Box games and former SSI staffers at the helm... but right from the start it just didn't look like a Gold Box game and I'm pretty sure that's what stopped people backing the Kickstarter. I very much doubt that if inXile had said "Hey, we're going to make BT4 but it's going to be free movement based, Hearthstone inspired combat, half the classes and just tons of puzzles" then I don't think it would have hit it's goal either.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » October 18th, 2018, 9:09 am

Themadcow wrote:
October 18th, 2018, 7:22 am
Yeah, some Kickstarters don't even get off the ground if the pitch doesn't look like what the fans want' to see. Seven Dragon Saga by TSI should have been a slam-dunk, given it's close ties to the Gold Box games and former SSI staffers at the helm... but right from the start it just didn't look like a Gold Box game and I'm pretty sure that's what stopped people backing the Kickstarter. I very much doubt that if inXile had said "Hey, we're going to make BT4 but it's going to be free movement based, Hearthstone inspired combat, half the classes and just tons of puzzles" then I don't think it would have hit it's goal either.
I think part of the reason BT4 got off the ground despite losing much of the BTclassic praise was because it was billed as bringing old-school RPG to the modern crowd. So it still caught the attention of the RPG community, mcuh of which does continue to praise it, despite its bug-ridden state. And inXile is keeping quite responsive/active on social media. So they are doing everythign they can to keep the game afloat. I still hold out hope that things will change (for the better) in the future, but agree that it really could have done a LOT better than it did if different decisions were made. Of course, that's just an opinion =P
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

DNACowboy
Scholar

Post by DNACowboy » October 23rd, 2018, 2:49 am

phimseto wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 7:51 am
To dial down on the acrimony. I suggest breaking down these different conversation beats into other discussion threads. The thread has gotten away from simply being about external game reviews.
I agree 100% Phimseto.
This poster receives no commercial consideration or work from Inxile, he truly believes Bards Tale IV: Barrows Deep to be a great game and one he enjoys on a daily basis

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » December 12th, 2018, 12:56 pm

Just caught another review posted Dec 2 on RPGSite.net
https://www.rpgsite.net/review/8058-the ... eep-review

Tweeted summary: "The Bard's Tale IV: Barrows Deep has a satisfyingly deep and flexible battle system surrounded by heavy puzzle exploration, but a narrative that doesn't manage to stay interesting."

Interesting paragraph to me:
"For the first 2-3 hours of the game, I tried to immerse myself in the world lore. I exhausted dialogue options, and I tried to keep track of the histories and characters that were brought up in dialogue. But I quickly came to the realization that I really just couldn't bring myself to care about any of it. I just wanted someone to point me in a direction so I could explore more and fight battles. I was enjoying the combat elements enough that dialogue sequences actually became more of an interrupting nuisance than anything actually driving the game forward. Barrows Deep is a game for mechanics nerds first and foremost."

Thinking about this, that's pretty much the description of BT1-3. So why is it negative here? I think inXile tried to add to the expected mechanic, giving the impression there was a deeper story with interactions and whatnot, but either not putting enough emphasis on it, or just not realizing that the game mechanics don't really mix well. Sort of like an all or nothing issue, and it's only partially there. It wasn't there in BT1-3, so the expected game mechanic was consistent. Here the reviewer expected more but gave up shorthanded and reverted to the classic play style.

End score is 7/10. Still decent. But the commentary is not unexpected, imo.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » December 12th, 2018, 8:24 pm

thebruce wrote:
December 12th, 2018, 12:56 pm
Interesting paragraph to me:
"For the first 2-3 hours of the game, I tried to immerse myself in the world lore. I exhausted dialogue options, and I tried to keep track of the histories and characters that were brought up in dialogue. But I quickly came to the realization that I really just couldn't bring myself to care about any of it. I just wanted someone to point me in a direction so I could explore more and fight battles. I was enjoying the combat elements enough that dialogue sequences actually became more of an interrupting nuisance than anything actually driving the game forward. Barrows Deep is a game for mechanics nerds first and foremost."
Thinking about this, that's pretty much the description of BT1-3. So why is it negative here?
This was my thought while reading it.

TZODnmr2k5
Initiate

Post by TZODnmr2k5 » April 7th, 2019, 6:13 pm

I'd give this an 7.5/10 as the performance still needs work! But I'm still enjoying this game nonetheless especially with the entire VO cast being from the UK as that fits perfectly with this series/atmosphere!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 7th, 2019, 6:18 pm

TZODnmr2k5 wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 6:13 pm
especially with the entire VO cast being from the UK as that fits perfectly with this series/atmosphere!
I'm glad you're enjoying the game, but there's nothing in the previous games to place the setting anywhere other than "generic fantasy world".
Alwa nasci korliri das.

TZODnmr2k5
Initiate

Post by TZODnmr2k5 » April 7th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Drool wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 6:18 pm
TZODnmr2k5 wrote:
April 7th, 2019, 6:13 pm
especially with the entire VO cast being from the UK as that fits perfectly with this series/atmosphere!
I'm glad you're enjoying the game, but there's nothing in the previous games to place the setting anywhere other than "generic fantasy world".
Regardless, I don't care for modern californian accents in medieval settings, I get your point though, but the fact still remains that the entire cast being from the UK places the setting in an area other than feudal Japan, Saharan Africa, or modern day Ukraine... ;)