For tomorrows patch, did you guys figure out how to do GoG's properly?

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

eisberg
Scholar

For tomorrows patch, did you guys figure out how to do GoG's properly?

Post by eisberg » September 27th, 2018, 3:45 pm

Next patch is set for tomorrow, provided you guy don't have to delay it. Did you guys figure out how to do the patches for GoG version properly so that GoG users can get the patch at the same time as Steam users? or are we going to have to wait till Monday to get the patch like last time?

Fred II
Novice

Re: For tomorrows patch, did you guys figure out how to do GoG's properly?

Post by Fred II » September 28th, 2018, 1:53 am

I think that GOG test any patches to make sure all is well before they release them.

Something I heard a while back.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 28th, 2018, 2:28 am

Fred II wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 1:53 am
I think that GOG test any patches to make sure all is well before they release them.

GoG has a similar system as Steam does for those using GoG Galaxy
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/gog_i ... ?staff=yes

When developers use the portal they make patches available to GoG Galaxy users right away, just like Steam. But the developers have to specifically upload it to GoG the correct way for that to happen.

Fred II
Novice

Post by Fred II » September 28th, 2018, 4:02 am

eisberg wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 2:28 am
Fred II wrote:

When developers use the portal they make patches available to GoG Galaxy users right away, just like Steam. But the developers have to specifically upload it to GoG the correct way for that to happen.
Yup they can upload direct to the Dev Portal but even then and as I said and as is stated in text in the link above GOG
check and test the patches before they become available to us.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 28th, 2018, 4:06 am

Fred II wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 4:02 am
eisberg wrote:
Fred II wrote:

Yup they can upload direct to the Dev Portal but even then and as I said and as is stated in text in the link above GOG
Incorrect, every other developer who I have bought games from on GoG, new games, who used the portal to upload patches, the patches became available right away, in under 30 minutes from Steam. While yes, GoG will still do some testing afterwards, the patch is still available to the customer as soon as the developer uploads it.
ncorrect, every other developer who I have bought games from on GoG, new games, who used the portal to upload patches, the patches became available right away, in under 30 minutes from Steam. While yes, GoG will still do some testing afterwards, the patch is still available to the customer as soon as the developer uploads it.
Read the next 2 replies in that link including the questions in the quotes.

Fred II
Novice

Post by Fred II » September 28th, 2018, 4:16 am

eisberg wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 4:06 am
Fred II wrote:
eisberg wrote:

Incorrect, every other developer who I have bought games from on GoG, new games, who used the portal to upload patches, the patches became available right away, in under 30 minutes from Steam. While yes, GoG will still do some testing afterwards, the patch is still available to the customer as soon as the developer uploads it.
Read the next reply to the question in the quote.
Sorry yes I re read the post/posts on GOG..................

The developers publish them independent of us, we simply test them afterwards in case a regression is introduced :)
Okay so that would be yes they show up immediately on Galaxy after a dev publishes them to all Galaxy users, but we still test them? That is what I'm getting from that... correct?
That's correct :)

cdaragorn
Initiate

Post by cdaragorn » September 28th, 2018, 2:55 pm

eisberg wrote:
Fred II wrote:
eisberg wrote:

ncorrect, every other developer who I have bought games from on GoG, new games, who used the portal to upload patches, the patches became available right away, in under 30 minutes from Steam. While yes, GoG will still do some testing afterwards, the patch is still available to the customer as soon as the developer uploads it.
Unfortunately that's not what happened with last weeks patch which is why people are concerned about this week. There was a long discussion on GOG's forums about it that made it clear GOG did not release the patch when inXile put it out because they wanted to test it first themselves. I'm also hoping that they change that attitude after the backlash from last week.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 28th, 2018, 3:13 pm

cdaragorn wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 2:55 pm
eisberg wrote:
Fred II wrote:

Unfortunately that's not what happened with last weeks patch which is why people are concerned about this week. There was a long discussion on GOG's forums about it that made it clear GOG did not release the patch when inXile put it out because they wanted to test it first themselves. I'm also hoping that they change that attitude after the backlash from last week.
In the end it really wasn't GoG's fault, because Inxile just uploaded the update to GoG's FTP servers rather than use the Dev Portal to publish the update so that it would be made available right away through GoG Galaxy. When they just did the FTP route, then they had to wait for GoG to comeback from the weekend, and then GoG did what they normally do with updates uploaded through the FTP, which is test it and release it, in which they did. But if Inxile uses the Dev Portal, no matter when Inxile does the update, all GoG Galaxy users can get the update right away with no waiting on GoG to do any testing.

So the ball is actually in Inxile's court with this. We can get the patch at approximately the same time as Steam users if Inxile uses the tools that GoG have provided. If they don't then we'll have to wait till Monday again for GoG to return from the weekend, do some QA testing through their work day, and then for them to publish the update.

syntaxhorror
Novice

Post by syntaxhorror » September 28th, 2018, 5:20 pm

eisberg wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 3:13 pm
In the end it really wasn't GoG's fault, because Inxile just uploaded the update to GoG's FTP servers rather than use the Dev Portal to publish the update so that it would be made available right away through GoG Galaxy. When they just did the FTP route, then they had to wait for GoG to comeback from the weekend, and then GoG did what they normally do with updates uploaded through the FTP, which is test it and release it, in which they did. But if Inxile uses the Dev Portal, no matter when Inxile does the update, all GoG Galaxy users can get the update right away with no waiting on GoG to do any testing.

So the ball is actually in Inxile's court with this. We can get the patch at approximately the same time as Steam users if Inxile uses the tools that GoG have provided. If they don't then we'll have to wait till Monday again for GoG to return from the weekend, do some QA testing through their work day, and then for them to publish the update.
Patching through the Galaxy dev update channel will also probably result in a smaller patch size - I'm not looking forward to downloading another 26Gb monstrosity (just to have to do it again whenever patch 3 drops).

As I'm writing this Pathfinder's latest patch is applying through galaxy, it dropped on GoG on a Friday night European time (at a time when GoG employees are in bed), and it's here already, same as for Steam.

Come on Inxile, embrace the future already.

yoli
Initiate

Post by yoli » September 28th, 2018, 11:15 pm

Well, nothing on GOG today, I guess we're good to wait until monday! If GOG wanted to shy people away from their platform they could not do it better.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 29th, 2018, 12:07 am

yoli wrote:
September 28th, 2018, 11:15 pm
Well, nothing on GOG today, I guess we're good to wait until monday! If GOG wanted to shy people away from their platform they could not do it better.
It's not GoG's fault for this one, it is Inxile. GoG has a system that works just like Steam's, where Inxile can publish their update right away for all GoG Galaxy Users tonight. But for some strange reason Inxile is not using this function that GoG has.

yoli
Initiate

Post by yoli » September 29th, 2018, 1:34 am

If GOG had a single channel to push the updates there wouldn't be such problems...

syntaxhorror
Novice

Post by syntaxhorror » September 29th, 2018, 3:48 am

They probably have their reason for keeping the legacy system in place for now, I don't know what they are but I don't see why they'd keep the old system in place (which consumes resources and is a pain in the bum for their users who get recent, complex games which need regular patching) if there wasn't a benefit to them.

Anyway, that's still on InXile because by now they know the system exist and they're not taking advantage of it (and as I said elsewhere, they choose to release patches on Friday, knowing full well it won't be on GoG for a few days).

This: https://twitter.com/Inxile_Ent/status/1 ... 3731131393 confirms that they know about the new system.

I understand integrating a new tool to your build and deployment pipeline can seem risky and time-consuming (especially during a crunch period) but it's a worthwhile investment, especially when you have future games coming to GoG too. Happy users are returning users! And if they don't want to do it, maybe hire a consultant to prep the thing for you and teach your release management team how to use it? Heck, I'd do it, where do I send a resume to inXile? :p

Fred II
Novice

Post by Fred II » September 29th, 2018, 4:33 am

So us GOG users will have to wait until next week now because it seems they did not upload to the Devportal, and I bet its another 20+ GB

yoli
Initiate

Post by yoli » September 29th, 2018, 7:38 am

"The song I sing
Will tell the tale
Of GOG and patch 2 day

When time fled,
And braves waited
For holy great patch day

Of bugs brickwalls
And fearsome trolls
We all hoped no delay

Till patch released
Galaxy breezed,
Man you got screwed 2 days"

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 29th, 2018, 1:47 pm

syntaxhorror wrote:
September 29th, 2018, 3:48 am
They probably have their reason for keeping the legacy system in place for now, I don't know what they are but I don't see why they'd keep the old system in place (which consumes resources and is a pain in the bum for their users who get recent, complex games which need regular patching) if there wasn't a benefit to them.
They probably have a lot of customers who view Galaxy as being "too Steam-like" and refuse to use it.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

syntaxhorror
Novice

Post by syntaxhorror » September 29th, 2018, 3:05 pm

Drool wrote:
September 29th, 2018, 1:47 pm
syntaxhorror wrote:
They probably have a lot of customers who view Galaxy as being "too Steam-like" and refuse to use it.
Probably yeah, but the dev update channel also benefits them, they get the same patches at the same time - I just checked a few hours ago, when patch 1.03 for Pathfinder was made available on Galaxy, and it was also downloadable as an offline patch for those who use their offline installers.

Jalis
Acolyte

Post by Jalis » September 29th, 2018, 6:16 pm

Could be as simple as prioritization; do they have one of their devs figure out the GoG api for that, or fix some more bugs in their game. I know I'd choose the latter.

shmerl
Explorer

Post by shmerl » September 29th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Drool wrote:
Not just a lot - it's their core customer demographic (who demand standalone DRM-free packages). It would be suicidal for GOG to ignore that.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 30th, 2018, 1:42 am

Drool wrote:
syntaxhorror wrote:
That actually makes no sense at all, because uploading it through the dev portal still gives GoG the files for them to make the offline installers as well. Uploading it through the dev portal has no effect on those who don't use Galaxy.