The Review Board ?

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Fred II
Novice

The Review Board ?

Post by Fred II » September 24th, 2018, 5:00 am

Whilst playing I was given a quest to return to the Review Board as one of my characters was ready for
advancement, when I went back I did not seem to get anything for doing so.
The second time I got the quest to return to the Review Board I got the message that I have done nothing
and but was worthy and come back later, the quest is still open in my quest list
Last edited by Fred II on September 25th, 2018, 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marxorz
Novice

Re: The Review Board ?

Post by Marxorz » September 25th, 2018, 12:04 am

The whole mechanic of the Review Board is a bit confusing in my opinion. The quest is always in my quest log, even after all my characters are in the top tier. I'm never sure when the review board actually does something and whether it affects one (or any?) of my characters... so I usually just talk to them 3-4 times in a row to be safe.

Is there a game mechanic or storyline point to having the review board? (Do they ever fail anyone?) Or is it just a weird throwback to the original games?

Lord Azlan
Initiate

Post by Lord Azlan » September 25th, 2018, 6:07 am

I think they unlock the next tier of skills.

My game also has visiting them on the open quests log where in fact when visiting them nothing happens.

Voratus
Initiate

Post by Voratus » September 26th, 2018, 8:56 am

I'm wondering if we have the bugged Review Board quest because of having to send a character away fairly early on, so maybe that mission is for that other character (I haven't progressed far enough yet to know whether or not that character ever comes back to the party).

tomimt
Acolyte

Post by tomimt » September 26th, 2018, 10:00 am

To me it does look like the review board quest is bugged. It never disappears and it's not noted in any way when you do go there.

Pwnzilla
Initiate

Post by Pwnzilla » September 27th, 2018, 9:50 am

I have the same issue, after the first visit with primary character, all I get is "I haven't done anything significant response" although the quest is in journal. Won't allow party members to advance.

Ricks
Novice

Post by Ricks » September 27th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Why does it even need a "Review Board"?

It is set in stone that you need at least 8 skills developed to unlock the next tier of skills. So the game should autmatically unlock the next tier whenever that time has come. Why does the game put obstacles in my way by forcing me to go to the Review Board first? This is total nonsense.

Applicator
Initiate

Post by Applicator » September 27th, 2018, 8:10 pm

I think it's 8 skills plus "help enough other people".

maxheadroom
Initiate

Post by maxheadroom » October 1st, 2018, 4:03 am

Ricks wrote: ↑
September 27th, 2018, 1:20 pm
Why does it even need a "Review Board"?

It is set in stone that you need at least 8 skills developed to unlock the next tier of skills. So the game should autmatically unlock the next tier whenever that time has come. Why does the game put obstacles in my way by forcing me to go to the Review Board first? This is total nonsense.
This.

Returning to the Review Board was an event in BT1 because each visit would make you measurably more powerful. They're all but pointless in BT4
They could definitely use a rework to give them some purpose

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » October 1st, 2018, 6:11 am

Yeah, nice idea but odd implementation. Would even have been nice if it said "You are not ready, return when you have learned <insert number> skills".

Personally I did complete the quest and iirc I did so before swapping out a story character for a merc.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » October 1st, 2018, 12:19 pm

Themadcow wrote: ↑
October 1st, 2018, 6:11 am
Personally I did complete the quest and iirc I did so before swapping out a story character for a merc.
Are you looking in the quests tab? because we all got the 'quest complete' popup the first time we went back with someone eligable, but the bug is that it doesn't move from active to completed in the quests tab, but stays as an active quest the entire game.