Quest: A Hero's Rest (Scorcherer)

For Bard's Tale IV gameplay-related discussion. May include gameplay details and spoilers.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Jamey
Acolyte

Quest: A Hero's Rest (Scorcherer)

Post by Jamey » September 24th, 2018, 1:03 pm

Has anyone figured out what to do to put him to rest? I'm about to head out of Skara Brae to the Islands, so I'm trying to finish up all of the quests that I can before moving on.

I have acquired both the Spectral Snare and a weapon called Killer of the Dead. Neither do anything.

I've talked to all of the NPCs around and no one seems to have any hints on what to do. I was thinking Lar or Alguin offer any insights. I also thought that Faryn, who is looking for stories, might want to talk to him, but that isn't it either.

In short, I have gone back and forth past him a number of times and feel like I have no insight into what to do to solve his quest.

LadyOfHearts
Novice

Re: Quest: A Hero's Rest (Scorcherer)

Post by LadyOfHearts » September 25th, 2018, 6:28 am

I was told the solution is in the Roockery island, but I can't seems to find the tomb.

Jamey
Acolyte

Post by Jamey » September 25th, 2018, 8:18 am

LadyOfHearts wrote:
September 25th, 2018, 6:28 am
I was told the solution is in the Roockery island, but I can't seems to find the tomb.
Interesting. I just got there, so I'll keep a close eye out for anything.

Jamey
Acolyte

Post by Jamey » September 25th, 2018, 9:34 am

I have explored the entire rookery, and have found nothing that seems relevant.

I cannot figure out how to open a single secret door in the area with the reliquary, which is right in front of my party in this map:
https://i.postimg.cc/Gtdc4SG5/Rookery_map.png

Beyond that, I have Midden Maw Key that I have not used. It may open something in that area.

EDIT: looks like the spoiler tag doesn't work here.

Jamey
Acolyte

Post by Jamey » September 25th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Aha! I have found the solution. At the end of the quest "The Cauldrons of Death", there is a book that you will find after the boss fight. When you pick it up, it says that you have found a way to banish him. I haven't been back to Skara Brae yet to actually do it, but I will soon. :)

kanga
Initiate

Post by kanga » September 29th, 2018, 1:59 pm

I am in the same boat, and I have "The Cauldrons's of Death" quest, but I don't know how to get started on it.

poweroftwo2
Initiate

Post by poweroftwo2 » October 4th, 2018, 6:57 am

Aha! I have found the solution. At the end of the quest "The Cauldrons of Death", there is a book that you will find after the boss fight. When you pick it up, it says that you have found a way to banish him. I haven't been back to Skara Brae yet to actually do it, but I will soon. :)
This is the info I am looking for, how did you find the start of this quest? Is it in the rookery or somewhere else? I have the quest but can't seem to find the portal.

Jamey
Acolyte

Post by Jamey » October 5th, 2018, 10:49 am

I exhaustively explored outside near between the Temple and the Castle. The entrance to the quest is out there somewhere, but I have no idea where.

The best I can give you is a reference on page 103 of the Guidebook:
Go through the door and defeat the enemies. To the left is the entrance to the Necromancer’s Spire. This is a very challenging area and not critical to the main quest. Enter at your own risk! Keep to the left and approach the walled tower.
If you can find the puzzle referenced right before that, you should be in the correct area.

poweroftwo2
Initiate

Post by poweroftwo2 » October 5th, 2018, 2:42 pm

by Jamey » October 5th, 2018, 1:49 pm

I exhaustively explored outside near between the Temple and the Castle. The entrance to the quest is out there somewhere, but I have no idea where.

The best I can give you is a reference on page 103 of the Guidebook:
Go through the door and defeat the enemies. To the left is the entrance to the Necromancer’s Spire. This is a very challenging area and not critical to the main quest. Enter at your own risk! Keep to the left and approach the walled tower.
If you can find the puzzle referenced right before that, you should be in the correct area.
Thank you! This was very helpful.

DSCrankshaw
Novice

Post by DSCrankshaw » October 7th, 2018, 10:13 am

The Necromancer's Spire is entered by a portal, with a pole topped by a skull in the center. It's between the Langskaal and the Southern Bulwark standing stones. It's easier to spot coming from Langskaal, as you're positioned looking right at it at one point.

zanate
Initiate

Post by zanate » October 8th, 2018, 8:57 am

Ok -- I finished that area (I think) and the "A Hero's Rest" quest changed to "Banish the Scorcherer" but I'm not sure how. The dialog options havent changed when I talk to him and I am not sure why the quest changed.

BayRidge
Initiate

Post by BayRidge » October 9th, 2018, 6:53 pm

@zanate
I had same issue. I realized I was equipping the book to one of my characters. If you put it back in your inventory it should give you the option to complete the quest.

neunundneunzig
Initiate

Post by neunundneunzig » October 17th, 2018, 12:05 pm

Jamey wrote:
September 25th, 2018, 9:34 am

I cannot figure out how to open a single secret door in the area with the reliquary, which is right in front of my party in this map:

Beyond that, I have Midden Maw Key that I have not used. It may open something in that area.

Did you figure out how to enter that secret door?
I am stuck here as well.

echondas
Initiate

Post by echondas » November 4th, 2018, 10:04 am

Jamey wrote:
September 25th, 2018, 9:34 am

The button is more visible if you use a torch or Green Lady's Dragon Breath ability - these eyeball buttons are usually close to (almost looking at, in a way) the doors they open.