Bard's Tale IV Reviews

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Post Reply
werpu
Initiate
Posts: 11
Joined: October 23rd, 2015, 8:25 am

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by werpu » September 21st, 2018, 1:39 pm

Well I guess they bombed their game themselves, it is bitter, because it is a good game. Gamerplaywise, easily a 85+, but technical problems, problems with the website delivering the keys etc... you only have one chance to make a good first impression. Sales might pick up once the biggest technical problems are fixed and maybe the game is slightly discounted. Must bet bitter for inXile, but the main question simply is why didnt they take 2-3 weeks extra time to give the game another round of technical polish. Some people would have been short term angry, but in the end they might have sold a ton more.

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9742
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by Drool » September 21st, 2018, 3:01 pm

DNACowboy wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 12:45 am
I feel the system is being seriously abused.
Like that one negative review I read. The dude only had about 70 hours of play time and only wrote about 500 words very carefully explaining all his issues with the game. What a troll!
Alwa nasci korliri das.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master
Posts: 1173
Joined: July 13th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 21st, 2018, 7:24 pm

eisberg wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 4:56 am
Trusted Review? Yet they didn't play the final version of the game, but some early version prior or during the beta, or didn't play it at all?
How much has changed between the beta and the final release?
cmibl<enter>

_noblesse_oblige_
Master
Posts: 1173
Joined: July 13th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 21st, 2018, 7:32 pm

Nystrom wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 12:30 pm
Rizmel wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 10:21 am
Nystrom wrote:
September 19th, 2018, 6:10 am


I've read about 20% of them, and every single one is a troll/meaningnless negative post complaining about one or two things while providing ZERO value because they have spent 10 hours or less in the game.

so, your argument is that all negative feedback is trolling? no one could possibly dislike the game? were there not enormous threads on this board about how BTIV sucks balls? I believe there were/are. I am almost positive that the backers were the target audience, and several were extremely vocal about how the product did not match the label. bugs are to be expected to an extent, because playtesting is unlikely to uncover every possible situation. from what I've seen, that is not what the majority of the negativity is about.
Yes, that's my argument based on the fact no one's played enough of the game to make a realistic determination.
A lot of people have played the game long enough to make a realistic determination that it isn't working very well or isn't engaging enough to play it longer.
cmibl<enter>

_noblesse_oblige_
Master
Posts: 1173
Joined: July 13th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 21st, 2018, 7:40 pm

Themadcow wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 4:32 am
Well, lets see how sales go. If they make decent money on it then it'll be seen as the right decision to ditch the old game-play mechanics, regardless of the opinion of us Grognards. If it is successful, then it might encourage someone to make something closer to BT1-3 / Wizardry, even if it doesn't carry the BT name.
I usually agree with your posts, but I think that is an awfully big "if". I remember phimseto telling us on multiple occasions that we should support BT IV to ensure that a BT V, which might be closer to expectations would be made. However, the counterargument is that if inXile had made a game that was closer to expectations this time, then it would be easier to trust them next time, not the other way around.

However, even if the Barrows Deep game flops, as it appears to be doing, it is not clear the right lessons are going to be learned. If it succeeds, I highly doubt that the right lessons will be learned because it will be seen as vindication of their design choices.
cmibl<enter>

Akachi
Initiate
Posts: 13
Joined: July 11th, 2015, 5:48 pm

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by Akachi » September 21st, 2018, 7:41 pm

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 7:24 pm
eisberg wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 4:56 am
Trusted Review? Yet they didn't play the final version of the game, but some early version prior or during the beta, or didn't play it at all?
How much has changed between the beta and the final release?
With the amount of bugs present I think we're still playing a beta. Golden beta at best.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master
Posts: 1173
Joined: July 13th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 21st, 2018, 7:52 pm

Lanatir wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 4:34 am
Well, we are now 2 days in after release, and Steam reviews are still in the low 40s.
Yes, and it doesn't matter whether they are called reviews or feedback or whatever. They are legitimate. Reviews by gaming journalists may be subject to their own biases, arising from personal associations and such. In many ways, feedback from actual gamers is much more honest. We opened our wallets for the game and didn't receive free copies. We have a simple criterion: is it fun or is it not fun? Whether it's not fun can be because it crashes, because it's slow, because the mechanics are bad, because it doesn't meet expectations, or whatever. Doesn't matter. The feedback is valid. The gaming press, otoh, are more like wine tasters, having much ado about things that don't factor into the basic question of whether the game is fun or not.

The white-knighting and attempted apologetics by some is pretty risible at this point. What are those people even hoping to get out of all this? A pat on the head from the saddened devs, looking for a ray of sunshine in their day? Forum moderator privileges? A chance to perform testing of future inXile games? I don't get why some people, who aren't in the employ of inXile, care that other people have a negative view of this Barrows Deep game. What is their motivation?
Lanatir wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 4:34 am
I hope INXILE learns their lessons, but i dont think they will.
I'm pessimistic as well, but we can hope. They won't be getting my money again, unless they can really, really turn things around with their Legacy Mode. Even then, I will probably not be an early backer and will take a wait-and-see approach to any future projects of theirs.
cmibl<enter>

eisberg
Scholar
Posts: 182
Joined: August 14th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by eisberg » September 22nd, 2018, 3:53 am

_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 7:24 pm
eisberg wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 4:56 am
Trusted Review? Yet they didn't play the final version of the game, but some early version prior or during the beta, or didn't play it at all?
How much has changed between the beta and the final release?
If you read on to my next post, you will see that it is easy to tell that they didn't even play the game at all since 100% of their screenshots are from a year old article from a different site from a different country.

User avatar
thebruce
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1875
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 8:46 am
Contact:

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by thebruce » September 22nd, 2018, 7:50 am

And again, it's not that negative reviews aren't "valid" (though it must be obvious that trolls are not unheard of), but more a matter of relevance for those who would like to know something more specific, like I described. It's good to see and understand what all the ratings mean and what their context is, then it can be more informative depending on what you're trying to learn from the ratings.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

User avatar
Spectralshade
Scholar
Posts: 219
Joined: May 22nd, 2012, 8:58 am

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by Spectralshade » September 22nd, 2018, 9:09 am

eisberg wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 3:53 am
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 7:24 pm
eisberg wrote:
September 18th, 2018, 4:56 am
Trusted Review? Yet they didn't play the final version of the game, but some early version prior or during the beta, or didn't play it at all?
How much has changed between the beta and the final release?
If you read on to my next post, you will see that it is easy to tell that they didn't even play the game at all since 100% of their screenshots are from a year old article from a different site from a different country.
and I don't have any screenshots attached to my steam review at all, but if I wanted to put some eye candy, I could browse the web for some random screenshots and then put my review on a webpage alongside the screenshots. It wouldn't de-legitimize the review, only show that I reused assets like the devs.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master
Posts: 1173
Joined: July 13th, 2015, 7:18 pm

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 22nd, 2018, 11:42 am

Spectralshade wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 9:09 am
eisberg wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 3:53 am
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 7:24 pm


How much has changed between the beta and the final release?
If you read on to my next post, you will see that it is easy to tell that they didn't even play the game at all since 100% of their screenshots are from a year old article from a different site from a different country.
and I don't have any screenshots attached to my steam review at all, but if I wanted to put some eye candy, I could browse the web for some random screenshots and then put my review on a webpage alongside the screenshots. It wouldn't de-legitimize the review, only show that I reused assets like the devs.
Yes. Exactly.
cmibl<enter>

eisberg
Scholar
Posts: 182
Joined: August 14th, 2018, 2:51 pm

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by eisberg » September 22nd, 2018, 2:34 pm

Spectralshade wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 9:09 am
eisberg wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 3:53 am
_noblesse_oblige_ wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 7:24 pm


How much has changed between the beta and the final release?
If you read on to my next post, you will see that it is easy to tell that they didn't even play the game at all since 100% of their screenshots are from a year old article from a different site from a different country.
and I don't have any screenshots attached to my steam review at all, but if I wanted to put some eye candy, I could browse the web for some random screenshots and then put my review on a webpage alongside the screenshots. It wouldn't de-legitimize the review, only show that I reused assets like the devs.
Right, because it is completely normal for a professional review site to steal screenshots for their review instead of using screenshots of the game they actually played. /facepalm

Clearly the only reason why you think it is legitimate is because it is a bad review for a game you hate, and nothing else. Since there are not to many professional reviews that gave it that bad of a review, you have to cling onto anything you can get, even to the point of ignoring the complete obvious.

IHaveHugeNick
Master
Posts: 1200
Joined: September 23rd, 2014, 7:31 am

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by IHaveHugeNick » September 22nd, 2018, 2:45 pm

Drool wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 3:01 pm
DNACowboy wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 12:45 am
I feel the system is being seriously abused.
Like that one negative review I read. The dude only had about 70 hours of play time and only wrote about 500 words very carefully explaining all his issues with the game. What a troll!
Yeah that guy was obviously an angry, frustrated internet hater.

This guy here, on the other hand is a fine gentleman, and a respected video game scholar. His well well researched review, that I took a liberty to paste in full, provides a comprehensive description for all potential buyers:
"Positive
4.1 hrs on record
Negative reviews on day 2. Seriously?"
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

User avatar
Spectralshade
Scholar
Posts: 219
Joined: May 22nd, 2012, 8:58 am

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by Spectralshade » September 22nd, 2018, 3:36 pm

eisberg wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 2:34 pm
Spectralshade wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 9:09 am
eisberg wrote:
September 22nd, 2018, 3:53 am

If you read on to my next post, you will see that it is easy to tell that they didn't even play the game at all since 100% of their screenshots are from a year old article from a different site from a different country.
and I don't have any screenshots attached to my steam review at all, but if I wanted to put some eye candy, I could browse the web for some random screenshots and then put my review on a webpage alongside the screenshots. It wouldn't de-legitimize the review, only show that I reused assets like the devs.
Right, because it is completely normal for a professional review site to steal screenshots for their review instead of using screenshots of the game they actually played. /facepalm

Clearly the only reason why you think it is legitimate is because it is a bad review for a game you hate, and nothing else. Since there are not to many professional reviews that gave it that bad of a review, you have to cling onto anything you can get, even to the point of ignoring the complete obvious.
I believe everyone has a right to have an oppinion. How about that?

Marthos
Novice
Posts: 35
Joined: October 31st, 2014, 5:18 am

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by Marthos » September 23rd, 2018, 11:57 pm

While not specific to this game, I find game reviews to be a curious thing. The professional reviews are only for the first few levels of a game, never the whole game. What's so strange is that you don't see this in other media. Professional movie critics don't watch 10 minutes of a movie and write a review. Book reviews are about the whole book, not just the first chapter. But that's what game reviewers do...they play a beta or just the first part of a game and then write a review on it. As a result, they get so much wrong about the game that the reviews (good or bad) or just useless. A game can polish up it's first part to get a ton of good reviews, but then it can turn into a pile of trash by mid-game...nobody would know based on reviewers. My favorite professional review is how the blue-skinned, bald, beardless dwarf is a generic Tolkien rip-off...heh.

This extends to the non-professional too...if I have trouble installing the game, I flame the game. But if I go to a movie theater only to find out that it's sold-out, I don't go home and flame the movie because I wasn't able to see it. It's all very strange to me how game reviews differ so much from other media's reviews.

User avatar
ZiN
Adventurer
Posts: 670
Joined: January 27th, 2015, 7:57 am

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by ZiN » September 24th, 2018, 2:02 am

Marthos wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 11:57 pm
A game can polish up it's first part to get a ton of good reviews, but then it can turn into a pile of trash by mid-game...nobody would know based on reviewers.
That's not the case with this game. The first part looks really ugly and the flaws are obvious after an hour. So I'm not sure by what means they got those positive "professional" reviews. But it is also obvious they haven't finished it, not that they could due to the several game-breaking bugs, which cause the player to be unable to progress the main quest.
Marthos wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 11:57 pm
This extends to the non-professional too...if I have trouble installing the game, I flame the game. But if I go to a movie theater only to find out that it's sold-out, I don't go home and flame the movie because I wasn't able to see it. It's all very strange to me how game reviews differ so much from other media's reviews.
If BT4 was a movie: Terribly cut scenes, with studio equipment and staff visible in lots of places. Obvious set-scenery and projected backgrounds. Ugly, histrionic actors spouting cringy dialogue and humour at the most unexpected moments. Great score, but it makes all of the amateurish other stuff stick out even more.
If BT4 was a book: Full of typos, missing or blank pages. No editing, the pacing is all over the place. Cheapest printing, pages come out and the book falls apart in weeks. Beautiful cover.

Centaur
Acolyte
Posts: 62
Joined: October 5th, 2016, 1:47 am

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by Centaur » September 24th, 2018, 2:06 am

Marthos wrote:
September 23rd, 2018, 11:57 pm
But if I go to a movie theater only to find out that it's sold-out, I don't go home and flame the movie because I wasn't able to see it. It's all very strange to me how game reviews differ so much from other media's reviews.
If it were the movie company selling you the tickets (instead of a third-party movie theater) and then, after they sold you the ticket, they wouldn't let you see the movie, then I'm pretty sure you *would* give them a negative review, right?

User avatar
thebruce
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1875
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 8:46 am
Contact:

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by thebruce » September 24th, 2018, 6:45 am

Centaur wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 2:06 am
If it were the movie company selling you the tickets (instead of a third-party movie theater) and then, after they sold you the ticket, they wouldn't let you see the movie, then I'm pretty sure you *would* give them a negative review, right?
Ahh... the movie company review, yes, but the movie review?
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Centaur
Acolyte
Posts: 62
Joined: October 5th, 2016, 1:47 am

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by Centaur » September 24th, 2018, 11:10 am

thebruce wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 6:45 am
Ahh... the movie company review, yes, but the movie review?
I understand your point, but it *does* apply to my (lack of) enjoyment of said movie, and if the website (such as Steam or GoG) doesn't have a separate section (or a separate category) for movie company reviews, then for me the choice (between posting the review on a much less popular website, or posting it in the movie reviews section) is an easy one...

User avatar
thebruce
Forum Moderator
Posts: 1875
Joined: February 17th, 2015, 8:46 am
Contact:

Re: Bard's Tale IV Reviews

Post by thebruce » September 24th, 2018, 11:19 am

Absolutely, which is why my point was about what someone was looking for, and the relevance of said review to that person, not the general validity of the feedback overall. Someone wanting to know how the movie is likely couldn't care less about how someone's experience was in dealing with the company selling you the ticket.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests