Any one know how to re-spec?

For all Bard's Tale IV discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

HiddenBoss
Initiate

Any one know how to re-spec?

Post by HiddenBoss » September 20th, 2018, 12:06 pm

I did not know about there some skills where you take one skill it locks you out the the other skill so is there a way to re-spec in game? failing that, is there a way to edit my save file?

Blave
Initiate

Re: Any one know how to re-spec?

Post by Blave » September 20th, 2018, 2:10 pm

I've serched the internet up and down to an answer for this question. As far as I can tell, you can't respec. At all.

Not sure why this information seems so hard to come by, though.

I'm not one to mess with save files, so I can't help you there.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 20th, 2018, 2:13 pm

Where does that happen at? Being locked out?

Huttj
Initiate

Post by Huttj » September 20th, 2018, 2:47 pm

eisberg wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 2:13 pm
Where does that happen at? Being locked out?
Warrior commander tree I know has some. It has 6-8 skills in 2 columns crosslinked by dotted lines. Each skill blocks out the one in the same row, but you don't need to take all the ones in the same column. So you choose between, for example, a skill that gives 4 strength or one that gives 4 con and 2 int.

Solid line: prerequisite. Dotted line: blocks the other skill.

Marxorz
Novice

Post by Marxorz » September 20th, 2018, 3:09 pm

Wow. I didn't know that about the blocking out the other skill.

This seems non-intuitive in the skill tree. Thanks for the warning!!

rumpelstilskin
Acolyte

Post by rumpelstilskin » September 20th, 2018, 3:46 pm

i'd like to know that as well, since i just found out that i lost my paranoia skill and had it replaced with sundering smash, and now i can't get it back, since i already know it in the skill tree (so can't re-learn it even if i were willing to waste another skill point), but it's gone from by masteries list.

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » September 21st, 2018, 1:36 am

Rather than create a new thread for this, I'd like to express my disappointment at inXile for this reply to a thread in the Steam forums asking why there is no option to respec:

"Originally posted by Eric_inXile:
Hey all, currently there's no way to respec after many players objected to this feature during the beta period. That said, we are certainly keeping an eye towards any gameplay suggestions you have for consideration in future updates."

https://steamcommunity.com/app/566090/d ... 891975844/

Um, maybe one or two people had a full objection - but I think you're missing the main point which is that free respec was fundamentally broken due to the way skills/crafting works, and that most of the feedback (in this forum) was to place a form of disincentive such as gold, XP or token cost on the process (or maybe even a free one every 5 levels?). So, instead of thanking the backers for calling out the fundamental issues with free respec in the beta... you try and throw them under the bus on the Steam forums?
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

Blave
Initiate

Post by Blave » September 21st, 2018, 3:17 am

Ok, with every hour played I'm more and more convinced that we NEED respec in this game. Looking over my characters after 11 hours of play, I'd spend at least a third of all my skill points on every character differently now that I know the game better.

I also finally got someone trained to be a cleric but since pretty much everybody in my party just leveled, I can't use any cleric-skills until I level up again, which will probably take at least one more hour of playing.

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » September 21st, 2018, 3:21 am

Inxile Logic:
Players: Hey, INXILE, you know, maybe giving out free respec is a bad idea, since you can respec anytime anywhere you can basically skill crafting whenever you need something done and then go back to all the combat skills afterwards. So, how about you make respeccing use a ressource like gold or mercenary tokens?
Inxiles answer: BAN ALL RESPEC NAO!

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » September 21st, 2018, 3:47 am

Lanatir wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 3:21 am
Inxile Logic:
Players: Hey, INXILE, you know, maybe giving out free respec is a bad idea, since you can respec anytime anywhere you can basically skill crafting whenever you need something done and then go back to all the combat skills afterwards. So, how about you make respeccing use a ressource like gold or mercenary tokens?
Yeah, pretty much. Fact is that skill choices should matter, choices should have some consequences otherwise... well, it's not an RPG.

We should also recognise that people make mistakes, and in a system that's a little opaque, this is going to happen a fair bit. It shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to devise a system that would make decisions matter, without locking people into a bad decision for the next 20 hours of gameplay. Soooo many options...

1. Gold cost (although scaling would be an issue)
2. Token cost
3. XP cost
4. Free respec every 5th level
5. Respec on cooldown based on gametime (say, 2hrs in game)

All of these stop abuse of respec to a greater or lesser extent, without completely removing it from the system.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » September 21st, 2018, 4:00 am

Lanatir wrote:
Inxile Logic:
You forgot to add, when people complain, the official answer is: "IT WAS THE EVUL BACKERS, WHO WANTED IT OLD-SCHOOL!"
Themadcow wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 3:47 am
Soooo many options...

2. Token cost
3. XP cost
Also my suggestion from 2017:
ZiN wrote:
December 27th, 2017, 3:34 am
There could be a strange contraption at the inner sanctum of Urmech in Kinestia, or an ancient recipe for an elixir hidden in one of the towers of Gelidia, etc, which allows respeccing.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 21st, 2018, 5:55 am

I would think that ZiN's makes the most sense. Respeccing, if you think about it realistically, isn't really, well, realistic. Immediately changing all your skills and abilities gained through life to something potentially completely different - because you paid enough to do it? enh. But yeah some mysterious metaphysical/magical/reality-bending force that can do such a thing, at a cost of course, at least makes a little more sense (in a video gamey fantasy kind of way, lol)
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Lanatir
Explorer

Post by Lanatir » September 21st, 2018, 6:02 am

thebruce wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 5:55 am
Respeccing, if you think about it realistically, isn't really, well, realistic.
Last time i went to a Bar i also didnt set the 2 people next to me on fire and gained constitution by getting drunk. So i would assume realism is not something we really need to worry about ? :P

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 21st, 2018, 6:35 am

...."in a video gamey fantasy kind of way"
@thebruce0

Omelet79
Initiate

Post by Omelet79 » September 21st, 2018, 7:07 am

"Courtesy of feedback from users such as Omelet79, we are adding a cost to resetting your characters’ skill trees. It is no longer freely available anywhere. You now pay using a mercenary token at the Review Board to do so."

Please explain why this was not implemented as specified in the Kickstarter Update.

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » September 21st, 2018, 7:12 am

Realism isn't an issue, but RPG's are about choices and consequences - it takes a lot out of the game if the choices you make about build and skills have no consequence. For that reason, free unlimited respec is a poor design choice, but having a consequence to changing your decision is somewhat OK.

In a real life example, I changed my job from recruitment to market research about 15 years ago. I had to set aside the skills I'd gathered in recruitment, and take a pay cut in order to start building more skills in market research. There was a consequence - it took me a long time to rebuild my salary to the level I was at in recruitment when I quit. So, yeah, it's entirely possible (in a longer time-frame) for people to reskill, but there's usually a cost attached.

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » September 21st, 2018, 7:17 am

Omelet79 wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 7:07 am
"Courtesy of feedback from users such as Omelet79, we are adding a cost to resetting your characters’ skill trees. It is no longer freely available anywhere. You now pay using a mercenary token at the Review Board to do so."

Please explain why this was not implemented as specified in the Kickstarter Update.
Zoiks. Apology from inXile incoming I assume...

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 21st, 2018, 7:31 am

Themadcow wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 7:12 am
In a real life example, I changed my job from recruitment to market research about 15 years ago. I had to set aside the skills I'd gathered in recruitment, and take a pay cut in order to start building more skills in market research. There was a consequence - it took me a long time to rebuild my salary to the level I was at in recruitment when I quit. So, yeah, it's entirely possible (in a longer time-frame) for people to reskill, but there's usually a cost attached.
True but in that real life example what you did was change the application of your skills, or your practice. You didn't immediately lose all your prior abilities (though they might atrophy without usage), you just changed direction to improve different skills in a different practice. Basically, you changed Class (to one that was approved based on your general skillset:) - you didn't suddenly forget all your knowledge and abilities and become a highly skilled practitioner of some other employment. :)
@thebruce0

Spectralshade
Scholar

Post by Spectralshade » September 21st, 2018, 7:34 am

Themadcow wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 3:47 am
Lanatir wrote:
Inxile Logic:
Yeah, pretty much. Fact is that skill choices should matter, choices should have some consequences otherwise... well, it's not an RPG.

We should also recognise that people make mistakes, and in a system that's a little opaque, this is going to happen a fair bit. It shouldn't be beyond the wit of man to devise a system that would make decisions matter, without locking people into a bad decision for the next 20 hours of gameplay. Soooo many options...

2. Token cost
3. XP cost

All of these stop abuse of respec to a greater or lesser extent, without completely removing it from the system.
4 and 5 in that list would be my prefered options, if resources are limited due to non respawns.

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » September 21st, 2018, 7:49 am

thebruce wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 7:31 am
True but in that real life example what you did was change the application of your skills, or your practice. You didn't immediately lose all your prior abilities (though they might atrophy without usage), you just changed direction to improve different skills in a different practice. Basically, you changed Class (to one that was approved based on your general skillset:) - you didn't suddenly forget all your knowledge and abilities and become a highly skilled practitioner of some other employment. :)
Ha, well maybe it is a little more Magician lv13 > Sorcerer lv1.

Anyways, it's not beyond people to retrain - it's just that such retraining usually comes at a cost.