The Bard's Tale IV Update 51: The Bard Draws Near!

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

balinor
Acolyte

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 51: The Bard Draws Near!

Post by balinor » September 5th, 2018, 12:34 am

Bladesinger wrote:
September 3rd, 2018, 10:20 pm
Also if they dont make profit then I bet we wont see a bards tale 5.
I'd debate whether we will see a Bard's Tale 4 still. Mainly because what they are releasing seems to have almost nothing in common with the existing trilogy.
Bladesinger wrote:
If not then we shouldnt complain when they dont make the next kickstarter.
Inxile have since moved onto Fig as a platform for crowdfunding although numbers have decreased from backers (the investment level has seemingly driven most of the funding in the last project/s) it would be interesting to know whether that was the switch to a different lesser known platform or because of decisions made with previous projects, alas that's not something we can ever know for sure.

One thing I do believe is that if they try and kickstart BT5, then it is likely to receive very little backing from the core BT gamers.
Bladesinger wrote:
Anyway. Bt1 remaster is great. Hard to get used to not having replay on the 4 x 99 berserkers. But hey. Lot less grinding and its sort of feeling like Too easy mode.
I can agree with this. Thankfully the BT remaster has made my kickstarter pledge worthwhile. If it hadn't have arrived in such a fashion then I would have been asking for a refund.

eisberg
Scholar

Post by eisberg » September 5th, 2018, 1:09 am

balinor wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 12:34 am
Bladesinger wrote:
Also if they dont make profit then I bet we wont see a bards tale 5.
I'd debate whether we will see a Bard's Tale 4 still. Mainly because what they are releasing seems to have almost nothing in common with the existing trilogy.
Bladesinger wrote:
If not then we shouldnt complain when they dont make the next kickstarter.
Inxile have since moved onto Fig as a platform for crowdfunding although numbers have decreased from backers (the investment level has seemingly driven most of the funding in the last project/s) it would be interesting to know whether that was the switch to a different lesser known platform or because of decisions made with previous projects, alas that's not something we can ever know for sure.

One thing I do believe is that if they try and kickstart BT5, then it is likely to receive very little backing from the core BT gamers.
Bladesinger wrote:
Anyway. Bt1 remaster is great. Hard to get used to not having replay on the 4 x 99 berserkers. But hey. Lot less grinding and its sort of feeling like Too easy mode.
I can agree with this. Thankfully the BT remaster has made my kickstarter pledge worthwhile. If it hadn't have arrived in such a fashion then I would have been asking for a refund.

Problem with FIG backer numbers, it doesn't include the people who chose the investment option. Seeing how successful wasteland 2 was, it makes sense for people to choose the investment option for wasteland 3 rather than the reward option. Wasteland 3 got more funding than wasteland 2 did.

balinor
Acolyte

Post by balinor » September 5th, 2018, 2:30 am

eisberg wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 1:09 am
Problem with FIG backer numbers, it doesn't include the people who chose the investment option. Seeing how successful wasteland 2 was, it makes sense for people to choose the investment option for wasteland 3 rather than the reward option. Wasteland 3 got more funding than wasteland 2 did.
Yes that is why I worded it the way I did. It would be interesting to go over the numbers and do a deep dive into the data but obviously this is something that someone outside of the company will never have access to.

Despite my negativity towards Inxile in general and Bard's Tale 4 in particular, I have no desire to see Inxile fail or go bankrupt, nor do I think that the developers deserve to get ill or suffer from death threats or any of the other myriad of things developers seem to have to face these days. I do hope they continue to craft rpgs for many years to come, I just wont be backing any of them and I will wait patiently on the sidelines and pick them up if they pique my interest in a sale or bundle.

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » September 5th, 2018, 8:39 am

balinor wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 2:30 am
eisberg wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 1:09 am
Yes that is why I worded it the way I did. It would be interesting to go over the numbers and do a deep dive into the data but obviously this is something that someone outside of the company will never have access to.

Despite my negativity towards Inxile in general and Bard's Tale 4 in particular, I have no desire to see Inxile fail or go bankrupt, nor do I think that the developers deserve to get ill or suffer from death threats or any of the other myriad of things developers seem to have to face these days. I do hope they continue to craft rpgs for many years to come, I just wont be backing any of them and I will wait patiently on the sidelines and pick them up if they pique my interest in a sale or bundle.
Each fig share of Wasteland 3 costs 1000$. Therefore the number of investors can't be that high (e.g. with 2,250,000$ Fig Funds there can't be more than 2250 investors)

Nystrom
Acolyte

Post by Nystrom » September 11th, 2018, 11:28 am

Crosmando wrote:
September 1st, 2018, 6:17 am
To be honest, everything about this game now seems to be low-budget and barebones
the fact they have to sell 300k copies to break even is kinda scary, since as of right now, I kinda agree with the assessment. I know I keep harping on the graphics, but the Bard's Tale I-III remastered plays cleanly in ultrawide screen, but Bard's Tale IV as of last night still doesn't.

It's 2018.

There's other issues and I'm not trying to drudge all of it up, but ultimately this is how I feel below:
balinor wrote:
September 5th, 2018, 2:30 am

Despite my negativity towards Inxile in general and Bard's Tale 4 in particular, I have no desire to see Inxile fail or go bankrupt, nor do I think that the developers deserve to get ill or suffer from death threats or any of the other myriad of things developers seem to have to face these days.
I'm disappointed because I feel like, knowing what I know now, I definitely wouldn't have pre-purchased. Would be worth a buy on future Steam sale.
Maybe when it goes live, I'll change my mind. I certainly hope so.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » September 11th, 2018, 11:46 am

@Nystrom
I have to agree with what you've said, and both both quotes; especially balinor's.

...Except... well... I —despise— the ever popular "It's <insert date>" expression wherever it pops up (implying forced assumptions).
It doesn't matter what year it is, there is no assumption that the next year will be an improvement on anything —or that it even should be. Skills and priorities can get lost in time as well as occasionally improved. The latest version of something isn't always (nor is it inherently) the greatest version —simply for being the newest.

Nystrom
Acolyte

Post by Nystrom » September 11th, 2018, 7:19 pm

I'm mostly annoyed ultrawide isn't fully supported yet, Gizmo.

Graphics themselves, eh, I've seen a lot of retro games show pixelated low-res graphics and they sell fine.

I just struggle to stay interested in any game that doesn't have ultrawide support now that I have an obnoxiously glorious monitor.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » September 11th, 2018, 7:47 pm

Nystrom wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 7:19 pm
I just struggle to stay interested in any game that doesn't have ultrawide support now that I have an obnoxiously glorious monitor.
It's true... Once you use a larger screen—you can't easily go back; and never willingly. 8-)

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 11th, 2018, 9:23 pm

Gizmo wrote:
September 11th, 2018, 7:47 pm
It's true... Once you use a larger screen—you can't easily go back; and never willingly. 8-)
Likewise. I preferred the smaller iphone, until I used the larger screen for video watching and games; now the small ones are so freaking tiny! :lol:
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

Nystrom
Acolyte

Post by Nystrom » September 12th, 2018, 11:10 am

I told my wife she got off lucky. The closest thing to a mid-life crisis purchase was this monitor:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6824011185

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » September 12th, 2018, 11:44 am

Very nice. 8-)

*Can you tell me if that [curve] affects accuracy in programs like Illustrator and Photoshop?

__
Game-wise, does it make FPP games like BT4 look odd if they don't use a high enough field of view; (yet still slightly wrap around the eye) ?

Nystrom
Acolyte

Post by Nystrom » September 12th, 2018, 8:22 pm

Gizmo wrote:
September 12th, 2018, 11:44 am
Very nice. 8-)

*Can you tell me if that [curve] affects accuracy in programs like Illustrator and Photoshop?

__
Game-wise, does it make FPP games like BT4 look odd if they don't use a high enough field of view; (yet still slightly wrap around the eye) ?
Dunno about Photoshop/Illustrator.

Biggest issue I had was adjusting to it while playing Rocket League. It took me a couple weeks to get used to it. I absolutely love the aggressive curve though, it's why I bought it instead of last year's model.

I play a lot of Warframe, too, and it looks fantastic.

I had to play BT4 with squished out 2560x1440 during the beta.

eyeris
Initiate

Post by eyeris » September 18th, 2018, 2:36 pm

demeisen wrote:
September 2nd, 2018, 7:43 am
I hope at some point we get a guestimate about how long the Linux version might be delayed. Not looking for a hold-feet-to-the-fire rock solid day or anything, but a rough idea of whether we're talking days, weeks, or months would be nice.
I would love to know this too. Updates re: why it is delayed and any progress being made toward the linux release would be much appreciated.