Features you wish The Bards Tale Trilogy had

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Keighn
Initiate

Features you wish The Bards Tale Trilogy had

Post by Keighn » August 27th, 2018, 8:22 am

So I’ve barely started playing and my mind gets to thinking of back when I first played it compared to other games. Since there will be a legacy version I’m not overly worried about changes in the non-legacy. So, some things I wish could happen:

1. Autom-map not in the movement window bit instead on the parchment to the right.

2. Ability to join arrow stacks into more than 10 (or at least up to 10)

3. Roscoe recharging magic items.

4. Hunters guild that assigns killing quests or item find quests (select difficulty since game has a relatively wide array here). One could even choose how many of that difficulty they must hunt and kill or how many of what to collect before collecting reward from the master hunter. Rewards do, gold, maybe an item. All Item quest items you need to collect get taken by the guild.

5. NPCs offer more clues or tales or assign some sort of random quest.

6. The pubs have the option of rumors (1 random per day). A popularity meter when buying rounds on the house (an alternate reality idea) (1 time per day). Bard can play for the pub (increases popularity and uses a bard song). Bard can only perform this 1 time each pub for each level he/she has attained (that would be equivalent to their life’s experience so it couldn’t be cheesed since bards regain all songs by merely drinking). Playing pub games (just passes time but depending on your popularity you could end up in a brawl reducing popularity and random fight aka Pool of radiance influence). Gambling... why the heck not like BT2 or again pool of radiance. Random quests or humanoid monster box might join.

7. Donations to temples to maybe get a random blessing and increase popularity there. Possibly reducing costs of healing). Maybe they offer info or a quest.

8. Achievements for so many pubs, temples, npcs you are popular with and considered friend/hero’s.
Achievements for so many hunter quests of x or y level completed.

9. Once completed can reset dungeons/town map.

10. Difficulty levels (increases xp, hp, ac, dmg from mobs)

11. I believe stats went higher in BT3 so maybe option for 20 in b1, 25 bt2 then of course 30 in bt3

12. Option to replace bard songs with any music on your computer (not sure if media player would play while playing game but even the remastered songs get old as the loops are too short imho.

13. Option to use other platform graphics from settings menu (maybe you like dos, Apple II, Amiga, c64, nes, etc. or custom).

14. BTCS module to create your own mods or even add to the current games (something I always wanted)

15. Hidden content unlocked like new bard songs, npcs, hirelings, items from later games.

16. Can reset the fog of war to blank on dungeon maps (yeah I love reexploring ... it’s that accomplishment feeling)

Other small rid bits wanted:
#attacks displayed

Effects active on player and by what (with duration if there is one)

Random weather effects like lightning strikes, different gigs, more snow and ice, heavier blizzard.

The more popular with the locals the more unpopular you become with Mangar so maybe he randomly sends out thugs determined by your level (i’m Sort of referencing Wrath of Denenthenor here).

Eh I can’t think of anything else atm. I realize that’s not how the games were but anew age and replay ability besides just grinding levels even if I am so tempted to see how high it can go.

Obviously, ther are modern and old game influences. If there is a legacy version then why not add and improve the modern version to keep evolving. Sure there’s a limit but hidden gems to dig up be they achievements or whatever seems cool to me. And note, I’m a 44 and first played Bards tale when it came out... then bought it on other platforms or went to friends. Only NES has eluded me. I’ve never found a copy.

Midnight Angel
Novice

Re: Features you with The Bards Tale Trilogy had

Post by Midnight Angel » August 27th, 2018, 8:32 am

3) Recharging (or repairing) magic items can be done at Garth's. I'm not sure whether this is intentional, though...

11) Was the stat limit really 30 in BT3? I could have sworn I got some stats to 31, but my memory may ve faulty.
The stats were stores in a compressed 5 bit format in the 8 bit versions, making 31 ($1F) the highest storable value...

jkapp76
Initiate

Post by jkapp76 » August 27th, 2018, 10:32 am

I would like to see BT2 start with the bard song like 1 and 3 did. This song was on the box but not at the beginning. Also it would be nice for it to include the C64 story animation during the song, like 1 and 3 do.

Beyond the Bard's Tale, as was told,
An epic great will now unfold
And in the quest, before thy sight,
A mortal man becomes the Knight.
Of wounds this many can never die;
His lips will never, voice the cry
Which doomed another, ages gone
Who now is trapped as evil's pawn.
Of puissant might and matchless brawn
The knight's fierce fate is plainly drawn
Upon the tome of life, in fact
And in this power lies the pact.
So seek the wand, and face the snare
Yet in no way can you prepare
For Zanta's wrath and endless guile -
Now try the quest, friend ... for a while.

Keighn
Initiate

Post by Keighn » August 27th, 2018, 12:38 pm

I am unsure on stats but thought 30 was max for dos.

Yeah, I hope for that intro as well.

I will comment again that I loved the voice acting on the video for telling the tale. Love that and hope it gets in game for all intros and maybe some in-game.

One of my life’s long dreams was old games weren’t just rebooted with options to play old style but recreated anew with features gamers of today enjoy. Simple things like logged hours, feaats, achievements etc are really cool in today’s modern world and as a vintage player I like that. Legacy mode for anyone is so awesome for those who want the original experience I can’t even begin to formulate a grand enough THANK YOU to incite entertainment.

I so didn’t even know of this project until gog announced it. I was like.... you pulling my chain right?

And I was trying the bards Tale in THE BARDS Tale coinage and cleavage. Just cool. I wonder if I smell dragon fire from a possible Dragon’s War version remade as well (please be close to Amiga but better).

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » August 27th, 2018, 2:19 pm

Keighn wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 8:22 am
2. Ability to join arrow stacks into more than 10 (or at least up to 10)
Can't say I ever used bows.
4. Hunters guild that assigns killing quests or item find quests (select difficulty since game has a relatively wide array here).
Ehh. I don't think side quests would have helped much, and wouldn't really be thematically appropriate for 1 or 3. Maybe it'd fit in 2, but...
6. The pubs have the option of rumors (1 random per day). A popularity meter when buying rounds on the house (an alternate reality idea) (1 time per day).
...they did? I mean, not so much the popularity, but you got better hints the more you tipped.
Playing pub games (just passes time but depending on your popularity you could end up in a brawl reducing popularity and random fight aka Pool of radiance influence).
The games lacked things, but opportunities to fight wasn't one of them. Also, again, side quests would detract from 1 and 3 quite a bit. I liked the urgency the games tried to impart. I like the Elder Scrolls too, but sometimes I want the urgent main quest to feel urgent. And important.
10. Difficulty levels (increases xp, hp, ac, dmg from mobs)
I think the games are pretty solidly in Hard Mode as is.
13. Option to use other platform graphics from settings menu (maybe you like dos, Apple II, Amiga, c64, nes, etc. or custom).
Yeah, I'd like them to include pictures from multiple platforms, but I'm not the one paying the artists.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » August 28th, 2018, 8:35 pm

I've tried a few Bard's-Tale-alike games, and some of them have added some pretty nice features. Notably Silversword on iOS makes the Rogue pretty strong. The class gets a skill that lets it detect oddities before you step on them, and has a good chance to remain hidden after killing something with its sneak attack crit ability. Also has a high-end Master Thief skill that lets it start combat in stealth, potentially all the way out to 90' range. Very strong.

I wouldn't mind seeing more class change options for fighter type classes either. Geomancer is a nice start, but I kind of feel like the character development system of the Bard's Tale series really gives fighter types the shaft. Even by the end of BT1, your casters probably have more health, and only slightly worse AC (except for the Monk whose AC is absurd as a class trait). By the time BT3 rolls around, your fighters are mostly only relevant because they can equip instant-kill weapons to compensate for the enormous health pools enemies have at high levels while fighters are restricted to 8 attacks.

Heck, just letting fighter class attacks continue to increase beyond 8 would be a big step in the right direction.
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

redwinclass
Novice

Post by redwinclass » August 29th, 2018, 5:40 am

Option to self-draw/self-mark map on provided blank template.

ybkara
Initiate

Post by ybkara » August 29th, 2018, 6:52 am

For balance purposes - letting high level fighters roll their 8 attacks against separate monsters would help a lot with keeping melee relevant a high levels - a level 50 or so warrior could take out 8 mad dogs in town, at least.

With death daggers/stoneblades - a group of 4 frontline fighters could actually take out 32 monsters in melee range.

Would probably want to make it a class special feature - Monks with the same setup would be even more overpowering then they are now. Monks miss a lot with their bare hands - but I've never seen a monk miss with a Death Dagger, that +3 to hit on the weapon seems to cure all their problems, and makes them the prefect class for front-line service. Toss in a luckshield for spell resistance (they don't need AC) - and they have no weakness.

Might make an interesting mod, at least. The classic bards tales were never really that balanced- part of the fun is being able to send out the lone archmage against 400 monsters - which is going to be easier than ever in BT2 with summons not taking experience. Kringle Bros+dreamspell for the win.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » August 29th, 2018, 7:27 am

rakenan wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 8:35 pm
I kind of feel like the character development system of the Bard's Tale series really gives fighter types the shaft. Even by the end of BT1, your casters probably have more health, and only slightly worse AC (except for the Monk whose AC is absurd as a class trait). By the time BT3 rolls around, your fighters are mostly only relevant because they can equip instant-kill weapons to compensate for the enormous health pools enemies have at high levels while fighters are restricted to 8 attacks.

Heck, just letting fighter class attacks continue to increase beyond 8 would be a big step in the right direction.
Yeah with the melee system only effectively being hit points, there could be other mechanics like certain weapons being more/less effective against certain armours and shields. I think BT4 has already incorporated different attack types (though a little more complex and/or limiting by skills than I'd prefer). Allow multiple attacks to strike multiple foes would be good - provided the relative skill level is sufficient... eg, one lvl 50 fighter again 5 dogs should have no problem, but one lvl 50 fighter against 2 ultimate-monks-of-death-dealing may not be able to get a 2nd swing in before the 2nd foe reacts...

The alternative is weapon effects; whether natural like poison, or magical like stoning or other damage effects - but that latter just imbues magical mechanics on the fighters which is kind of opposite the whole point.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

rakenan
Scholar

Post by rakenan » August 31st, 2018, 7:33 pm

In less insanely out there feature requests, I do have a few:

1. Gray out my Rogue's stat line in the roster panel during combat if he is hidden. Sometimes my other characters will act differently in combat depending on whether my Rogue is hidden, and there's no way to tell at a glance. The scrolling combat text is easy to miss, and it's annoying to get to my Rogue (4th in line) to see that he failed to hide and then having to re-do the entire combat command sequence.

2. On a related note, a way to go back to the previous character if I issue a wrong command instead of just get to the end of the roster and say "no" to restart the entire party's commands.

3. Option to make my own notes on maps would be huge. The automap is amazingly good, but custom notes would make it even cooler.

4. More of a moonshot option, but an option to go with fixed HP/MP gains per level and choose our stat gains. It's hard to resist the temptation to save-scum level-up gains in order to get just what you were wanting. I'm fine with the fixed gains being less than we can get from save-scumming, just have something where we know it's decent. Even half-max rounded up would be fine. I understand many people would hate this, but I'd welcome it.

5. A way to select Bard songs by keyboard. Preferably numbered, as in the originals. B 3 5 is pretty much bound to my muscle memory forever. And I just noticed that I can scroll through the list with arrow keys, but I still wish I could select them by number.

6. One I just thought of is the ability to make custom key bindings. Even a lot of modern games ignore this, for reasons that have always escaped me. Since I play on a GPD Win micro-laptop with a built in control pad, xinput control pad support would also be cool.

Edited for an extra suggestion and a clarification on another.
This year, I resolve to work harder. . . because it's obvious the world is not going to end itself.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Re: Features you wish The Bards Tale Trilogy had

Post by thebruce » September 7th, 2018, 8:31 am

Ideas brought from another thread...

1. Giving the rogue the ability to detect environmental traps at a certain level - though nearby, under the concept that the rogue is sort of taking the lead as a scout - would be neat. I wouldn't give them the ability to detect way farther though. And overlap would spellcaster detection could be odd to implement. Allowing them to disarm environmental traps would be neat.

2. Rogue starting combat hidden - another effect of the 'scout' ability. Two ways: either the rogue just starts combat hidden, or, when you (A)ttack foes, the very first thing you see is a success/fail for the rogue hiding in the shadows. That way if you run you can assume no one is defending (as usual) for a success/fail attempt, and the rogue is vulnerable. But I really like that 'starts hidden' extra bonus for rogues, either as a skill or a higher chance at higher levels.
@thebruce0

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » September 7th, 2018, 10:29 am

thebruce wrote:
September 7th, 2018, 8:31 am
1. Giving the rogue the ability to detect environmental traps at a certain level - though nearby, under the concept that the rogue is sort of taking the lead as a scout - would be neat. I wouldn't give them the ability to detect way farther though. And overlap would spellcaster detection could be odd to implement. Allowing them to disarm environmental traps would be neat.
Make the range further (i.e. 50') but require line of sight, unlike the spells which work through walls.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 7th, 2018, 10:37 am

Nice
@thebruce0

ryanmusante
Initiate

Post by ryanmusante » September 7th, 2018, 11:05 am

Advanced Settings Requests ::

I welcome any input, is this possible? Developers interested even at this stage of game of implementing anything? :?:

1.Resolution Selection >> 720P, 1080P, 4K, custom resolutions

2. GPU configurations >> Luminance, Contrast, Saturation

3. Graphics settings >> Pixelation, Dithering, Sharpening

4. CRT Emulation >> Amber or Green Color Schemes, Scan-lines, Static Noise, Jitter, Flickering, Burn-in
Something similar to what is done with cool retro term https://github.com/Swordfish90/cool-retro-term

5. Scroll-bars >> Visible changeable scroll-bar up/down/left/right and logging to text file as option for all battles

6. Text size >> Configuration for Battle-screen (small, medium, large, extra large, custom)

7. Mod support >> Changing interface and Monsters, Characters, Dungeons, etc, logging for gameplay

ad1066
Scholar

Post by ad1066 » September 7th, 2018, 12:35 pm

It's a bit of a nitpick, considering ranged combat was added to BT1 after the fact, but it's a little annoying that enemy casters seem to be able to use any spell they want at any range when ours can't.

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough

Fippy_Darkpaw
Initiate

Post by Fippy_Darkpaw » September 9th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Keighn wrote:
August 27th, 2018, 8:22 am
So I’ve barely started playing and my mind gets to thinking of back when I first played it compared to other games. Since there will be a legacy version I’m not overly worried about changes in the non-legacy. So, some things I wish could happen:

1. Auto-map not in the movement window bit instead on the parchment to the right.
^^ this.

Also a "Repeat" or "Last" option so the whole party just does the same action as last round of combat.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » September 9th, 2018, 1:41 pm

The automap position was a point of discussion when development first started. In the originals, the automap is a single modal view - you can't do anything else, you need to close the map, so it 'worked' in the scroll view. Having it as a live automap while navigating conflicted with the scroll text. So it was moved to cover translucently the viewport on the left. That became a big, clashy overlay, so was relegated to a smaller optional live-map view in the viewport corner. That's about the most practical and least obstructive location - at least that was determined before release :)

Perhaps the automap 'style' could be an option - overlay the scroll, viewport, or shrinked to a corner.
@thebruce0

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » September 9th, 2018, 2:17 pm

Just want to second what thebruce said. During prerelease testing, the automap was on the scroll pane and every time SESI/SOSI would detect something special, the alpha blending of the automap would become partially transparent and, even then, it made the text harder to read. Was really annoying, actually. If it was to go back over there, there would need to be segregation between the scroll text and automap and I'm not sure that there's enough vertical real estate to do that on the various resolutions that Krome wants to support.

But, that was the full automap. If it was just the mini map, then there might be a better chance of things working out.
cmibl<enter>

gibble_fenwick
Initiate

Post by gibble_fenwick » October 2nd, 2018, 6:19 am

thebruce wrote:
September 9th, 2018, 1:41 pm
The automap position was a point of discussion when development first started. In the originals, the automap is a single modal view - you can't do anything else, you need to close the map, so it 'worked' in the scroll view. Having it as a live automap while navigating conflicted with the scroll text. So it was moved to cover translucently the viewport on the left. That became a big, clashy overlay, so was relegated to a smaller optional live-map view in the viewport corner. That's about the most practical and least obstructive location - at least that was determined before release :)

Perhaps the automap 'style' could be an option - overlay the scroll, viewport, or shrinked to a corner.
I'd actually be more interested in mini-map supporting different colours. Even if pressing 'm' only cycled through 'off' and a small number of preset colours, this would be a improvement over the current implementation which is less effective within the town. The white mini-map almost disappears at times when the backdrop has lots of the aesthetically pleasing but unfortunately also white snow.

astrobryguy
Initiate

Post by astrobryguy » October 12th, 2018, 6:07 pm

iOS and Android support! Need to play BT on the go! 😉