Remaster from Krome Studios is amazing!

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Remaster from Krome Studios is amazing!

Post by Drool » August 14th, 2018, 6:21 pm

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 6:19 pm
I was wondering about that after have a quick look at the game during down time and didn't choose that option. I noticed all the character portraits are basically the same, but with a coat polished. I wonder if there is a option to put females in the roster.
Legacy mode isn't in the game yet. And if you want females in the roster... make a female character.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » August 14th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 6:19 pm
I wonder if there is a option to put females in the roster.
Female characters can be created and they have new, separate portraits that did not exist in the originals.

Edit: Ninja-posted by Drool. Yeah, what Drool said.
cmibl<enter>

JasonJoel
Novice

Post by JasonJoel » August 14th, 2018, 7:00 pm

Edit: Doh. I should have hit refresh before posting. Lol. 3rd person to answer the question.

You can make female characters. Haven't tried that though, just saw the option.

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » August 14th, 2018, 8:05 pm

Done! Three of them were female anyway & lost the entire party after first running into six barbarians, I couldn't run away from during the first encounter. So, I recouped with the A*TEAM and so far only lost Markus who I got healed at the temple not long after I lost him. The new game is certainly more user friendly this time around. Oh, I shouldn't be playing, I have work to do.

sinbuster
Initiate

Post by sinbuster » August 14th, 2018, 8:41 pm

Great female portraits I must say. My half-elf rogue looks very cool - definitely a thief of fate.

It's a really, really good remaster imho. Everything has a fresh coat of paint, plus the QoL additions are wonderful. Nice job Krome.

telyni
Initiate

Post by telyni » August 14th, 2018, 9:04 pm

Shiny! The only difficulty I've had so far is with the minimap. It started out aligned with the automap, and then at some point it started rotating every time I turn. It's much more confusing that way. Anyone know how I can get it to stay pointing the same way like it was at the beginning?

joekucera2002
Acolyte

Post by joekucera2002 » August 14th, 2018, 10:23 pm

If it spins, you must be out at night or lost your bearings in some way. You need to cast Magic Compass or Scry Sight and it comes back into focus.

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » August 14th, 2018, 11:05 pm

telyni wrote:
August 14th, 2018, 9:04 pm
Shiny! The only difficulty I've had so far is with the minimap. It started out aligned with the automap, and then at some point it started rotating every time I turn. It's much more confusing that way. Anyone know how I can get it to stay pointing the same way like it was at the beginning?
I haven't bothered using the mini-map/automap yet. How do you call it up?

Since I can see around the buildings and not just the buildings, it's been easier to get my bearings. I'm no longer blind to sides like I used to be and the 3D effects do help as well.

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » August 15th, 2018, 12:29 am

Got my key overnight and... wow, what a great job Krome have done with this remaster. It says something that I'm gutted to be going on holiday today without my laptop!

Playing today was like coming home, but finding out someone has done an extreme makeover. Same great Bards Tale feeling of old, but so shiny!!!

Only minor niggle so far is that the text options for attack, defend etc could be kept in the same physical location when clicking. Not much of an issue because 90% of the time I'll use keyboard shortcuts - but would be a nice QOL fix.

Seriously Krome - great work!!!
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

barsiem
Initiate

Post by barsiem » August 15th, 2018, 1:59 am

Having played for an hour this morning I'm very impressed! Love the new mapping system - the fact it disappears if you go off-piste is great. You can also see exactly where you've been and if there are any buildings you've missed. I also love the new inventory system. It was a pain to trade goods then equip them. I also loved the magician being able to heal at lvl1 as well.

The guys have done a great job - thanks to you all. If we could improve the communications from inxile all the better. Twitter & kickstarter were getting updates so not sure why the official forum was ignored. But I'll shut up about that now...

Does anyone know whether stats are still capped at 18 across the board? Also I believe xp for advancement has been equalised across the mage classes now but if anyone can confirm I'd appreciate it

Orpheus the Bard
Explorer

Post by Orpheus the Bard » August 15th, 2018, 2:41 am

Krome have made the game that much easier, which is a good thing. No complaints there. I recall from my very first play through that I had got as far as the Wine cellar in one of the pubs. Sinister Inn on the lower eastern side of the map, but never remembered fighting past the Samurai Statue to get to that Inn. Not that it's too tough a battle Not that I'm accusing Krome of changing the game too much, I just don't remember that part.

BTW, I figured out the mini map thing. Useful as well, I still spent ages finding that Inn.
Last edited by Orpheus the Bard on August 15th, 2018, 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

joques
Acolyte

Post by joques » August 15th, 2018, 2:41 am

I LOVE that not only did they get the "guaranteed random encounter" tiles right (Olde Skuul never did), they even mark them on the map for you!

Zadkiel
Explorer

Post by Zadkiel » August 15th, 2018, 5:00 am

Unfortunately I only had 20m to play around a bit this morning before I had to leave for work, and all I did was some character creation, but even there I noticed a number of quality of life improvements, such as

Creating a character immediately adds them to the party if you have space, originally you had to create them and then add them
Rerolling stats is just tapping one key to re-roll and escape takes you backwards to re-select class/race options. In original selecting reroll took you back a screen each time.

Nothing particularly groundbreaking, just a couple of things that made me go 'nice!' and I havn't even left the AG yet!

jrodman
Explorer

Post by jrodman » August 15th, 2018, 5:20 am

JasonJoel
Novice

Post by JasonJoel » August 15th, 2018, 5:44 am

Well, some of those are bugs and some of those are design changes in the remastered version.

it's fine if you don't like the changes they made in the remastered version, but that does not make them all bugs.

And your comment in the last post about them likely not wanting to fix any of it is certainly not going to gain you any friends or attention. If you don't think they're going to fix it then why bother posting at all?

Themadcow
Explorer

Post by Themadcow » August 15th, 2018, 5:46 am

jrodman wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 5:20 am
I'm not particularly loving it: https://www.gog.com/forum/the_bards_tal ... y_problems
Some excellent points. None of them are game killers but a few definitely need addressing.

Good work.
~~~ CPC's - Getting in the way of fun gameplay since 1998 ~~~

mrrockitt
Initiate

Post by mrrockitt » August 15th, 2018, 5:50 am

Only a few minutes in but loving it already! Looks extremely polished so far! :)

jrodman
Explorer

Post by jrodman » August 15th, 2018, 6:04 am

JasonJoel wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 5:44 am
Well, some of those are bugs and some of those are design changes in the remastered version.
There are a lot of design changes that I didn't mention that I think are bad. I only kept the ones that can only be explained as errors.
And your comment in the last post about them likely not wanting to fix any of it is certainly not going to gain you any friends or attention. If you don't think they're going to fix it then why bother posting at all?
To make other potential buyers aware.

jrodman
Explorer

Post by jrodman » August 15th, 2018, 6:07 am

Themadcow wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 5:46 am
jrodman wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 5:20 am
I'm not particularly loving it: https://www.gog.com/forum/the_bards_tal ... y_problems
Some excellent points. None of them are game killers but a few definitely need addressing.

Good work.
My viewpoint: we already had various bug-filled versions of Bard's Tale. It seemed to me like fixing the problems was one of the obvious goals of a remaster, but instead we get more bugs than before.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » August 15th, 2018, 6:21 am

Orpheus the Bard wrote:
August 15th, 2018, 2:41 am
Krome have made the game that much easier, which is a good thing.
Will definitely come in handy in Destiny Knight, now, that the SP regen "exploit" is "fixed". Either they need to remove a good portion of SP drain tiles, from Oscon's Fortress, or add new items that restore SP, otherwise it will become almost impossible to win. Or, they could also make some walls less PHDO proof.