The Bard's Tale IV Update 42: The Bard Begins His Tale...

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to The Bard's Tale series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

sear
Developer

Re: The Bard's Tale IV Update 42: The Bard Begins His Tale...

Post by sear » March 21st, 2018, 10:43 am

I am not on BTIV too directly right now, but from what I've seen in-game, the grid movement is definitely in between the two examples - probably a bit closer to pic #1. However, it will probably vary based on the game level and how "organic" it is.

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » March 21st, 2018, 10:45 am

In my opinion the map layouts will be much more literal and feel much more organic than the classics.
In the classics pretty much every map was literally a maze. I don't think this will be the case with BT4.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » March 21st, 2018, 10:46 am

If grid-locking is to encourage grid mapping, then any navigation between nodes needs to be reasonably understandable. Mapping is the key point here. Snappiness is just a personal preference for me.
Visit BardsTaleOnline.com - your community Bard's Tale classic RPG resource!
Twitter: @BardsTaleOnline / Facebook: Bards.Tale.Online
@thebruce0

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » March 21st, 2018, 10:47 am

PsychicMonk wrote:
March 21st, 2018, 10:45 am
In my opinion the map layouts will be much more literal and feel much more organic than the classics.
In the classics pretty much every map was literally a maze. I don't think this will be the case with BT4.
I agree. It's been made clear that BT4 is very VERY much more literal than the classics. Is that good? YMMV. But they said they're working to keep the mapping a factor in the gameplay, so arbitrary nodes would contradict that goal.
@thebruce0

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » March 21st, 2018, 11:06 am

In the classics everything was aligned in 90 degree steps. If you remove the 90 degree restriction curved connections and some off grid nodes are a trade-off to enable smooth movement.
Last edited by PsychicMonk on March 21st, 2018, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » March 21st, 2018, 11:11 am

Yes. I don't get that that was their intent if having grid-mapping was the goal. But we have not yet seen how they're implementing grid-locking or mappability, so ... I'm just going to keep sharing what I HOPE to see - and that's snappy grid-locked mappable navigation :P I don't care if they make a free-roaming literal world, as long as the 'classic' mode is available.
Yes, even if that means there can't be live-time events in the game world because it would be technically incompatible (at least with grid-locking on).
@thebruce0

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » March 21st, 2018, 1:07 pm

okay, from what i have seen in the alpha stream so far I will most likely skip grid-locked movement and hand-mapping in this game.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » March 21st, 2018, 1:13 pm

That's my fear as well. Still looks enjoyable, but so literal that I'm not sure how the game itself will natural encourage hand mapping. It's going to be a personal choice, almost forced if wanting to keep a nostalgic feel.

Almost seemed to me more likely that hand noting in-game content will be more likely than mapping. Then I thought, screen caps or phone photos of things to remember will come in handy for some puzzles =P

I really REALLY hope to see an option to reduce the UI to a classic mode for a portal view. Full screen FPS just doesn't scream "Bard's Tale".

But, beautiful graphics for sure.
@thebruce0

PsychicMonk
Scholar

Post by PsychicMonk » March 21st, 2018, 1:24 pm

yes, in my opinion mapping will most likely feel forced and is probably to much of a distraction from the "real" gameplay.
I'm a bit disappointed that the node/grid movement wasn't shown. Also I hope there aren't to many cog based puzzles... It would be a shame if Bard's Tale turns into some kind of Myst with combat
Last edited by PsychicMonk on March 21st, 2018, 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » March 21st, 2018, 1:43 pm

Another thing that came to mind... I really hope that commentary (and inevitable praise) for the game at GDC is taken with a grain of salt. I fear that the vast majority of people playing will be coming at it from a solo, original, unique game perspective, and loving it and the content just for that, not realizing how much is different from BT1-3. Praise is good, if the game stands up on its own... just please, please do not forget the roots. A gameplay idea may be great as it stands, but could be dramatically divergent away from the Bard's Tale brand. Please keep that in mind...
@thebruce0

Serjo
Explorer

Post by Serjo » March 21st, 2018, 2:22 pm

thebruce wrote:
March 21st, 2018, 1:43 pm
Another thing that came to mind... I really hope that commentary (and inevitable praise) for the game at GDC is taken with a grain of salt. I fear that the vast majority of people playing will be coming at it from a solo, original, unique game perspective
And they're also standing right next to the developer team while they're giving their feedback :P

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » March 21st, 2018, 4:38 pm

I died on the 99 Berserker hill years ago, so I'm viewing iBT4 the way I do Bethesda Fallout games: it's not the same, but it's got the lore and an evolution of the mechanics, so okay.

_noblesse_oblige_
Master

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » March 21st, 2018, 6:55 pm

thebruce wrote:
Another thing that came to mind... I really hope that commentary (and inevitable praise) for the game at GDC is taken with a grain of salt. I fear that the vast majority of people playing will be coming at it from a solo, original, unique game perspective, and loving it and the content just for that, not realizing how much is different from BT1-3. Praise is good, if the game stands up on its own... just please, please do not forget the roots. A gameplay idea may be great as it stands, but could be dramatically divergent away from the Bard's Tale brand. Please keep that in mind...
Yes. This.

Was watching the Twitch stream and YouTube video while waiting for the alpha to download. If those players are representative of inXile's target audience and who inXile is going to listen to, then any hope for getting anything remotely resembling the classics is lost.

They've already changed the stats so that Constitution is basically HP and Luck does not seem to be a stat (will confirm once my alpha finishes downloading). They've changed the way the classic bard songs work; they've changed the Warstrike and Dragon Breath spells. Combat with smaller groups of foes takes far longer than combat with larger groups of foes took in the originals. A majority of the time was spent in combat from what I saw. I also saw a lot of clicking and dragging. Then there was the real time aspect of "being spotted". So many things are so wrong here. This is not a Bard's Tale game from what I've seen.
cmibl<enter>

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » March 21st, 2018, 7:55 pm

thebruce wrote:
Another thing that came to mind... I really hope that commentary (and inevitable praise) for the game at GDC is taken with a grain of salt. I fear that the vast majority of people playing will be coming at it from a solo, original, unique game perspective, and loving it and the content just for that, not realizing how much is different from BT1-3. Praise is good, if the game stands up on its own... just please, please do not forget the roots.
paultakeda wrote:
March 21st, 2018, 4:38 pm
I died on the 99 Berserker hill years ago, so I'm viewing iBT4 the way I do Bethesda Fallout games: it's not the same, but it's got the lore and an evolution of the mechanics, so okay.
Nowhere was it worse than with FO3; that was precisely what they chose to do. They designed it with no respect for the original series, and quite specifically to please their TES crowd, who for the most part probably never heard of the series before, and loved Bethesda's new game as a new retro-sci-fi kind of Elder Scrolls. It delivered everything they wanted; and nothing for the series fan. A complete about face on gameplay, and precept; backpedaling away from the turn based roots of the series, and discarding all notion of committed actions.

___
I'd be interested in any Youtube links related to the alpha. 8-)

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » March 22nd, 2018, 1:06 am

You know what? I'm really liking the name Barrows Deep. It makes me think of "dungeons deep and caverns old".

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » March 22nd, 2018, 2:29 am

Turns out I don't have alpha access anyway as I only pledged $70 :(
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 22nd, 2018, 12:58 pm

Crosmando wrote:
March 22nd, 2018, 2:29 am
Turns out I don't have alpha access anyway as I only pledged $70 :(
Same.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

ZiN
Adventurer

Post by ZiN » March 26th, 2018, 12:50 am

Hello, does anyone have a link to a good video of someone playing this "alpha"? I'd like to watch an old-school fan of BT, such as me, Drool, noblesse_oblige, or thebruce, someone, who can draw substantive comparisons with the classics. How are InXile bringing back old-school and "resurrecting the classic dungeon crawl?" I'm not really interested in the hype, by modern "content creators'", who have no idea what BT and classic dungeon-crawling is. Is there any such video?
Thanks!

thebruce
Forum Moderator

Post by thebruce » March 26th, 2018, 6:01 am

Check youtube for Bard's Tale IV. There are a number of alpha playthroughs. I would totally love to do a playthrough from the classic standpoint, however my hardware is nowhere near sufficient to run the game smoothly and the alpha doesn't allow you to drop the quality settings below max. I'm hiting 1-2fps in most places. :(
@thebruce0

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » March 26th, 2018, 8:15 am

ZiN wrote:
March 26th, 2018, 12:50 am
Hello, does anyone have a link to a good video of someone playing this "alpha"? I'd like to watch an old-school fan of BT, such as me, Drool, noblesse_oblige, or thebruce, someone, who can draw substantive comparisons with the classics. How are InXile bringing back old-school and "resurrecting the classic dungeon crawl?" I'm not really interested in the hype, by modern "content creators'", who have no idea what BT and classic dungeon-crawling is. Is there any such video?
Thanks!
One of my personal favorites, and as old school as it gets: https://youtu.be/P0WjWznFD3k