Bard's Tale trilogy signature elements

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Re: Bard's Tale trilogy signature elements

Post by Gizmo » June 20th, 2017, 8:10 pm

ZiN wrote:
June 20th, 2017, 3:08 pm
So what others form BT2 would you like to see?
Image Image

ssfsx17
Novice

Post by ssfsx17 » July 7th, 2017, 2:08 pm

Signature elements for me, as compared to other Wizardry-family games:

- The Bard class is awesome. Breathing fire horns for crowd control, or just making everyone attack twice, and other such great abilities.
- Heavy emphasis on guest NPCs. Sadly, BT3 didn't have a dedicated slot for Hawkslayer, so I generally went without him.
- Utterly evil and wicked dungeons. The only game series that tries to match BT for how evil its dungeons are is probably Etrian Odyssey.
- Massive battles. Not just the signature 396 berserkers, but also fights against groups of 20+ enemies. BT3 went quite overboard with how many groups of enemies per encounter though.
- The spellcaster class system. It helped to make you feel that there was constantly something to look forward to at the ultra-high levels, and to feel that those characters were irreplaceable.

Alation
Initiate

Post by Alation » September 6th, 2017, 3:43 am

One of the most iconic parts of BT3 for me was the Hawkslayer story, and how it was revealed out of order in the different dimensions.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 9th, 2017, 2:50 pm

Alation wrote:
September 6th, 2017, 3:43 am
One of the most iconic parts of BT3 for me was the Hawkslayer story, and how it was revealed out of order in the different dimensions.
That was probably my second favorite. The story of Lucencia really got me.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Orpheus the Bard
Acolyte

Post by Orpheus the Bard » October 28th, 2017, 8:46 pm

Hello, haven't been here in a good while due to the ultra slow development of this game. Figured I might need to check back in today, because of premonition I got concerning last BT game. With all the older versions BT before it.