Bard's Tale remasters update from Olde Sküül

For all discussion on all the previous Bard's Tale games: the classic 1980s games (Bard's Tale, II: Destiny Knight, & III: Thief of Fate) & the humorous Bard's Tale (2004) spin off.

Moderator: Bard Hall Bouncers

phimseto
Developer

Bard's Tale remasters update from Olde Sküül

Post by phimseto » June 16th, 2017, 12:21 pm

It's been some time since we last checked in on Olde Sküül's updated version of the Bard's Tale I-III classic games, which Rebecca Heineman offered to do during the initial Bard's Tale IV Kickstarter campaign. Though these were not part of our initial Kickstarter rewards or stretch goals, we know that many of you have been excited about seeing this bonus offer. Olde Sküül has continued development on them in-house over the last several months, and they've provided a progress update on the project to let you all know how they've been shaping up and what they expect their remaining development timeline to be. To check it out, please click on the following link!

https://youtu.be/fNGWcEn1L4U

As fans ourselves, we want these remasters to be great updates to the classic games and we wish Olde Sküül the best in their efforts. But of course, in addition to the BT Remastered bonus that Becky and Olde Sküül continue to work on, we've already provided backers with the promised emulated versions of the classic games (complete with .pdfs of the original manuals). Though many of you have already downloaded them, they're currently down on account of our backer site moving over to CrowdOx. However, they will be available again soon for everyone once the move to CrowdOx has been completed!

Flammon
Initiate

Re: Bard's Tale remasters update from Olde Sküül

Post by Flammon » June 16th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Great to see progress on this.

- The mapping feature is looks great.
- My only gripe is how the low res images are rendered with a basic blur filter. It hurts my eyes. I prefer either no blur filter or a smart filter like xBRZ (or similar) algorithm. See here for sample https://unindented.org/articles/pixel-a ... on-part-2/

Scalpel
Initiate

Post by Scalpel » June 16th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Thanks for the video update.

sirchaox1224
Novice

Post by sirchaox1224 » June 16th, 2017, 1:43 pm

Glad this is still happening. The remastered versions look great to me, can't wait to play them. Glad they are really trying to make this as awesome as they can. :)

Magican
Initiate

Post by Magican » June 16th, 2017, 2:13 pm

This is way I backed Bards Tale IV only for the first 3 Bars Tale to be remastered.
This is great new, I just so the video on Youtube, So GREAT!
It is going to be fantastic to make a Let´s Play on all the 3 remastered Bards tale. And not use Amiga sound and PC game.
The other great thing is they are using the "old" persons that did the games and now also the person that did the music the first place.

JasonJoel
Initiate

Post by JasonJoel » June 16th, 2017, 3:27 pm

I could not be happier that this is still happening!! Yay!

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » June 16th, 2017, 4:01 pm

Looking good.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Ranger1
Scholar

Post by Ranger1 » June 16th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Great news on the remaster. BTW could we get the maps for the original games as a pdf?

BriantheFist
Initiate

Post by BriantheFist » June 16th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Looks so good, like the old Amiga version which was how I played it originally and is still the best version I have played.

radwolf76
Initiate

Post by radwolf76 » June 16th, 2017, 7:03 pm

Question about the updated game engine for the remaster. There was a very effective technique for using the Bard as a party healer by entering party attack, having the bard sing their healing song, and then selecting defend each round for each character until the party fully recovered their HP. However on the IIGS version of the game (which up until now has been used for modern ports), the healing only occurs on the round the Bard sings.

Will the remaster engine share the IIGS's limitation, or will it work like it did on the other original platforms?

SK_1759
Novice

Post by SK_1759 » June 16th, 2017, 8:57 pm

I cannot wait to play this when it's finished!

Silver Griffin
Initiate

Post by Silver Griffin » June 16th, 2017, 11:33 pm

Really nice to see this back on track. I love the fact that the map feature is for all 3 games & that it will include the towns. I also really like that the main page character display is closer to the BT 2&3 model where the characters are numbered & you see both max & current HP & SP.

Just a few questions:
1) I understand that at one point a save game function was going to be included for all 3 games so you didn't have to go back to the adventures guild. Is that still true?
2) Will there be a symbol like the shield (to show you were protected) or the fire (to show you had light) to show when a bard song is on? (I can't always play with the sound on.) If that isn't currently planned, would it be possible to add it?
3) Will you be able to port your characters over from your current game/emulator to the new one or will you have to start from scratch with the upgraded version?

Thanks for your time.

sinbuster
Initiate

Post by sinbuster » June 17th, 2017, 4:35 am

I must admit, getting the OT remastered was a big reason I backed the game - very stoked about IV of course. When it looked like it wasn't going to happen I was pretty gutted, so seeing the update, and from Rebecca no less, was great news. I love the automap based off the original map(s). The nostalgia is strong. Well done.

phimseto
Developer

Post by phimseto » June 17th, 2017, 5:51 am

If you have questions about the remasters, the easiest way of reaching Olde Skuul is here: https://www.twitter.com/oldeskuul

waltc
Scholar

Post by waltc » June 17th, 2017, 8:11 am

Assuming that honest feedback is wanted here, I've already reconciled the remaster to the vaporware category, but am thankful to inXile for giving it a go to begin with! I only wish they'd committed to it themselves as it would already have been finished. Ah, well. The time Old Skuul spent making this clip, which showed me nothing different from the last beta, was better spent on getting the remaster finished, imo. It's the kind of thing done when there's is nothing to show except what you already have, but you wish to create the appearance that you have done more. The most disappointing aspect of the clip was the inference that Olde Skuul's work in the remake had anything to do with the difference between the C64 version and the Amiga versions of the original games--this Olde Skuul remastering project was not involved there at all, no need to pretend otherwise. The fact that Becky implied this doesn't sit well with me. They weren't even careful enough in editing the clip to slow the combat scrolling enough so that it could be read, nor had they worked much if any on the combat sounds to clean them up--and this sort of thing doesn't require any coding effort at all, really. But it was nice to hear the combat at all, as even though they were chintzy and loopy in the Mac version of one of the BT games--it was nice they were there at all. I never did understand why EA couldn't have used combat sounds for its Amiga conversion...!

I wish them the best and look forward to seeing something much advanced over the last beta in the near future. Not really interested in anything except the remaster itself, though. Updates that aren't updates but are just rehashes are less than inspiring.

OK, I didn't mean to come off so negatively! Just can't think of much else to say at this point. A modern remake of these games could put a company like Olde Skuul on the map, they could write their ticket--but only if they get it done and do a good job of it! Hope to see evidence of that soon! If I can leave with a constructive comment...;)....there's no need or call for trying to interweave all three games into one big game--that target increases the complexity of the project exponentially! It's not necessary for simply remastering these games! I'd advise dropping that goal, and simply getting back to remastering each game individually, so that the player could play them *as they were created* but with remastered elements of graphics and sound. I know that Becky liked the AppleGS, so that's what she should be thinking of, imo--graphics and sound updates, primarily.

ZZGO
Acolyte

Post by ZZGO » June 18th, 2017, 4:54 am

I've played halfway through remastered BT1 beta. It's buggy as hell, but Becky said long ago that she had ironed out the kinks. It'll be interesting to see how a unified engine deals with the different game mechanics of the three games.
In any case, I'm certainly glad, happy and excited that the Remasters project isn't dead.

Bragolatch
Initiate

Post by Bragolatch » June 18th, 2017, 5:34 am

Pretty exited about it, was set on re-playing through the emulated version but it's so buggy I gave up, I have high hopes the remastering will not only be as bug free as possible but give the games enough new life to make if great fun to play through once again :)

Flashcreatures
Initiate

Post by Flashcreatures » June 18th, 2017, 7:53 am

Great news! I'm checking updates from Olde Sküül and Rebecca Heineman daily. The only reason I backed this game was for The Bard's Tale remastered games but hopefully Bards Tale IV will be ok.

_noblesse_oblige_
Explorer

Post by _noblesse_oblige_ » June 18th, 2017, 8:14 am

The only reason I backed this game was for The Bard's Tale remastered games but hopefully Bards Tale IV will be ok.
Note to inXile: In the past couple of years that I've been on this forum, I've seen numerous posts like the one above. Might be worth considering that much of the crowd-funding you received may not be a mandate for the game you're making, but for the one you already made as Interplay back in the 80's. This could be taken as a hint to make BT4 more like the originals, modern sensibilities be damned. (For whatever modern means.)
cmibl<enter>

ZZGO
Acolyte

Post by ZZGO » June 19th, 2017, 6:54 am

A debugged and remastered edition is cool, and it was certainly a welcome extra bonus. But I've played these games already. The game I've backed now is BT4.