Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian

For general discussion of inXile and our games.

Moderator: SagaDC

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian

Post by SagaDC »

Bit of interesting gaming news, particularly relevant on this forum - Chris Avellone has apparently parted ways with Obsidian. Aside from his colorful history in the industry, he's most recently been involved in the development of Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, and the upcoming Torment. No word on what his future plans are, though he's obviously still working on Torment.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06 ... -obsidian/
Grohal
Master

Re: Chris Avellone Leaves Obsidian

Post by Grohal »

That would be a great creative loss for any company - even more so for Obsidian Entertainment.
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando »

I hope he doesn't plan on retiring from game writing entirely. He should join InXile!
Matthias did nothing wrong!
Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal »

Doesnt seem like he plans on retiring: http://www.pcinvasion.com/chris-avellon ... his-future

CA: I don’t think I could ever stop being a game designer, that’s just where my brain is going to be at until I’m in the coffin.

At least that. :D
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.
IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick »

As much as I love his work, I think its for the best. Avellone became a video-game-writing celebrity to the point where every good piece of writing in any game he works on, was automatically credited to him, when there's obviously many writers on every project. Similarly, it got to a point where I've seen people online blaming every bad piece of writing on the management for supposedly not giving Avellone "more lines" or some nonse like that.

I hope he stays in the industry , but I'm not surprised if he felt like needing a fresh start.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.
AWAC
Scholar

Post by AWAC »

Maybe he is going to work on VB for Inxile!
Change the weapon size
SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC »

deejay wrote: April 1st, 2017, 12:19 amHi, new here from Australia and looking for the Obsidian Entertainment for TV, any idea?
You seem confused. Obsidian Entertainment is a software development company, not a type of television program.
Ghamarro
Initiate

Post by Ghamarro »

Sorry for necroing up an old post, but inXile should totally make a grab for MCA and hire him as an in-house writer / designer before he becomes too high profile and too expensive. =P
Pronto!
Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape »

Ghamarro wrote: May 11th, 2017, 9:46 pm Sorry for necroing up an old post, but inXile should totally make a grab for MCA and hire him as an in-house writer / designer before he becomes too high profile and too expensive. =P
I don't think he wants to be tied down anywhere. In the past 5 years he's worked with Obsidian, inXile, Arkane, Larian, Beamdog, Night Dive, etc. Considering how much he's been kissing Bethesda's ass I would guess he's trying to work for them too.
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando »

Tbh it seems like he doesn't want to be in charge of his own game, as has been mentioned he's been doing little jobs for games just so the devs can say "Look Chris Avellone wrote two sentences in our game, woohoo!".
Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra »

For the curious, Avellone most recently worked on Prey. Not much fanfare, but I get the impression that he was the lead writer.
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando »

Zombra wrote: May 31st, 2017, 10:08 am For the curious, Avellone most recently worked on Prey. Not much fanfare, but I get the impression that he was the lead writer.
The impression? Is there no credits?
Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra »

Crosmando wrote: May 31st, 2017, 10:38 am
Zombra wrote: May 31st, 2017, 10:08 am For the curious, Avellone most recently worked on Prey. Not much fanfare, but I get the impression that he was the lead writer.
The impression? Is there no credits?
I don't have the game, I just read a couple forum threads about it. It's not being marketed as A CHRIS AVELLONE GAME but it might be one. Cursory research didn't turn up hard evidence either way.
Remo
Scholar

Post by Remo »

Return to “General Discussion”