Don't forget about Mac/Linux and GOG keys

For all Torment discussion that does not fit elsewhere. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Memovira Goons

nottorp
Initiate

Don't forget about Mac/Linux and GOG keys

Post by nottorp » January 26th, 2017, 7:49 am

I've backed Torment back in the days of enthusiasm, and never followed the forums or news items. Mainly because I didn't want the game spoiled.

Now with the launch close, I see news items that talk about a launch for Windows and consoles. I was promised Mac and Linux versions as well. I'm not interested in either booting Windows or a console for this, and I paid 3 years in advance. Did you get a traditional publisher in the mean time?

Also, I don't want a Steam key, but a GoG one like you did with Wasteland 2. Steam is nice, but they need competition to stay honest.

Incidentally, the backer interface says something about access to the backer only community. I can't find that anywhere, I had to register for this forum separately.

This is just a friendly reminder, as I'm expecting the worst as usual when something smaller becomes big bussiness. Any Mac/Linux gamer remembers Torchlight II?

kilobug
Adventurer

Re: Don't forget about Mac/Linux and GOG keys

Post by kilobug » January 26th, 2017, 8:23 am

All is planned, we should get GOG keys with Linux and Mac versions on release, that has been confirmed a few times by people from inXile.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » January 26th, 2017, 8:38 am

Hey nottorp! We're currently working on the macOS and Linux versions of the game now that the rest is content complete. We're planning to have them ready by the same date as the other versions.

We have Torment Steam keys available because the game is on Steam early access right now. However, we'll have GOG available on final release, too.

Hunbaar
Initiate

Post by Hunbaar » February 2nd, 2017, 12:21 am

sear wrote:Hey nottorp! We're currently working on the macOS and Linux versions of the game now that the rest is content complete. We're planning to have them ready by the same date as the other versions.

We have Torment Steam keys available because the game is on Steam early access right now. However, we'll have GOG available on final release, too.
On a side question will retail PC versions will have GOG keys as well or steam all the way? I really would prefer GOG over steam.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » February 2nd, 2017, 6:40 am

Retail discs will be Steam versions.

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » February 2nd, 2017, 2:01 pm

sear wrote:Retail discs will be Steam versions.
:(
The complete CollectorsEdition-situation simply reassembles the one of Wasteland II... :( :( :(

Don´t let the same thing happen a third time!

RadonGOG
Scholar

Post by RadonGOG » February 3rd, 2017, 11:46 am

Gregoriushastings
Initiate

Post by Gregoriushastings » February 4th, 2017, 2:22 pm

Hi, I'm wondering about how to access my Early-Access copy, and also if that would bar me from being able to later convert to a GOG copy of the game. I backed the collector's edition on inxile-entertainment and not on kickstarter, will that stop me from receiving the same GOG key?

sear
Developer

Post by sear » February 4th, 2017, 5:17 pm

Gregoriushastings wrote:Hi, I'm wondering about how to access my Early-Access copy, and also if that would bar me from being able to later convert to a GOG copy of the game. I backed the collector's edition on inxile-entertainment and not on kickstarter, will that stop me from receiving the same GOG key?
We'll have a way to exchange Steam early access keys for GOG at some point near launch.

MoD256
Initiate

Post by MoD256 » February 5th, 2017, 7:38 am

sear wrote: We'll have a way to exchange Steam early access keys for GOG at some point near launch.
I also prefer the option for an GoG-Key, especially I took part on the Steam-Early-Acess (from the inxile rewards) without knowing to lose the possibility for an GoG-Key. I always thought the Steam (only) Early Access is a nice Pledge-Bonus/Extra.
But so this are really good news and I'm showing forward to exchange my Steam-EA to my planned GoG-Key soon. Thx for this.

Luckmann
Acolyte

Post by Luckmann » February 6th, 2017, 11:25 am

sear wrote:Hey nottorp! We're currently working on the macOS and Linux versions of the game now that the rest is content complete. We're planning to have them ready by the same date as the other versions.

Why is MacOS/Linux versions, people using PC/Mac/Linux being the primary (exclusive?) funders of Tides of Numenera, less of a priority than Consoles, which were originally stated to not be part of the Kickstarter, and was going to be worked on afterwards, but instead turned out to be on a simultaneous release as the PC version, thus suggesting it was paid for by backer support?
“The pessimist complains about the wind;
the optimist expects it to change;
the realist adjusts the sails.”

Serjo
Scholar

Post by Serjo » February 6th, 2017, 11:55 am

Because inXile stands to make more money from console sales than from Mac/Linux sales. Probably not by a large margin, but enough to set priorities.

sear
Developer

Post by sear » February 6th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Luckmann wrote:Why is MacOS/Linux versions, people using PC/Mac/Linux being the primary (exclusive?) funders of Tides of Numenera, less of a priority than Consoles, which were originally stated to not be part of the Kickstarter, and was going to be worked on afterwards, but instead turned out to be on a simultaneous release as the PC version, thus suggesting it was paid for by backer support?
The console versions of the game were funded by Techland, not backers. inXile hasn't spent a dime of backers' money bringing the game to consoles, and inXile has also invested multiple millions of its own money from back catalog sales directly into Torment's development.

Serjo
Scholar

Post by Serjo » February 6th, 2017, 2:01 pm

sear wrote:
Luckmann wrote:Why is MacOS/Linux versions, people using PC/Mac/Linux being the primary (exclusive?) funders of Tides of Numenera, less of a priority than Consoles, which were originally stated to not be part of the Kickstarter, and was going to be worked on afterwards, but instead turned out to be on a simultaneous release as the PC version, thus suggesting it was paid for by backer support?
The console versions of the game were funded by Techland, not backers. inXile hasn't spent a dime of backers' money bringing the game to consoles, and inXile has also invested multiple millions of its own money from back catalog sales directly into Torment's development.
Will the live orchestral music, the 16 Legacies, and all the other stretch goals that were not mentioned in the last update be in the release version of the game?

Luckmann
Acolyte

Post by Luckmann » February 6th, 2017, 2:26 pm

sear wrote:
I find that incredibly hard to believe, considering that there's no way to separate most of the parallel development and the implications of the inherently limited console format as it applies to the PC version and it's development. The porting process itself and the console marketing, etc., I have no trouble believing, but suggesting that not a dime of backers money have been spent bringing the game to consoles is a facetious distortion at best, and downright dishonest and deceitful at worst.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » February 6th, 2017, 3:16 pm

Luckmann wrote:
sear wrote:
I find that incredibly hard to believe, considering that there's no way to separate most of the parallel development and the implications of the inherently limited console format as it applies to the PC version and it's development. The porting process itself and the console marketing, etc., I have no trouble believing, but suggesting that not a dime of backers money have been spent bringing the game to consoles is a facetious distortion at best, and downright dishonest and deceitful at worst.
Why?

Techland are porting it to Consoles? They are paying for the marketing and the development to make it work on consoles. Why is that deceitful?

They receive a cut of all the console sales etc. They get a benefit for doing this.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Luckmann
Acolyte

Post by Luckmann » February 6th, 2017, 3:55 pm

Woolfe wrote:
Luckmann wrote:
sear wrote: The console versions of the game were funded by Techland, not backers. inXile hasn't spent a dime of backers' money bringing the game to consoles, and inXile has also invested multiple millions of its own money from back catalog sales directly into Torment's development.
Why?

Techland are porting it to Consoles? They are paying for the marketing and the development to make it work on consoles. Why is that deceitful?

They receive a cut of all the console sales etc. They get a benefit for doing this.
You seem to have missed several pertinent sections of the post which you are quoting. I suggest you re-read it.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » February 6th, 2017, 7:31 pm

Luckmann wrote:
Woolfe wrote:
Luckmann wrote:
Why?

You seem to have missed several pertinent sections of the post which you are quoting. I suggest you re-read it.
Are you referring to this bolded line, which is simply incorrect?
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Luckmann
Acolyte

Post by Luckmann » February 7th, 2017, 12:01 am

Woolfe wrote:
Luckmann wrote:
Woolfe wrote:
Why?

Are you referring to this bolded line, which is simply incorrect?
It is not incorrect. :lol: How would you separate such things? It is simply impossible, because the development of the game intrinsically has to take the limitations of any intended format(s) into account. The days of post-hoc ports that slash features between platforms are long, long gone.
Last edited by Luckmann on February 7th, 2017, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

vv221
Forum Moderator

Post by vv221 » February 7th, 2017, 12:32 am

Please go back on topic, that is Mac/Linux and GOG keys for T:ToN.
If you want to discuss about stretch goals and/or console port, you already have enough threads dedicated to these so you don’t need to derail unrelated ones.