Need Character Creation Help/Advice

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

RastaDC
Initiate

Need Character Creation Help/Advice

Post by RastaDC » April 25th, 2016, 8:28 am

So i played Wasteland 2 when it first came out and now i am back to play the directors cut
I need help to create my party

i need CLASSIC and Skill advice for the following:

SMG CHARACTER
ASSAULT RIFLE CHARACTER
SNIPER CHARACTER
BLADED WEAPONS CHARACTER

i want a balanced party not really bothered about recruits but am not sure how to spread the points

Thank-you in advance

mac10
Novice

Re: Need Character Creation Help/Advice

Post by mac10 » April 25th, 2016, 10:33 am

SMG: I made a brute guy with SMG and blunt weapons, mid game gained heavy weapons, Int 8, Coordination 5(start with 4), str 7, demolition(get ASAP to disarm mines for free grenades with associated perk), mechanic, weaponsmith, kissass(mainly to support the ultimate blunt weapon); trait: thick skin(+2 armor). Gave this guy the gun training book at end game.
AR: This guys is the rogue type with high skills and AP. Int 8-10, str 4, lockpick, safecrack, comp(added later), hardass; trait: fragile bones(+2 AP). Gave this guy 'the ring' for +5 initiative at end game.
Sniper: Int 5, Str 4, alarm, comp; trait: number even +1 to all stat/odd -1 to all stat(thus the Int 5, to keep the Int at 4 when odd lv).
Blade: I used the jap miner, this slot I made a leader character with Int 8-10, str 3-4, charisma 6-8, shotgun, smartass, AR(mid game); trait: delayed gratification.

All light armor characters should get weaponsmith lv2 by lv4 or 8 for +1 AP perk. All characters that is not the leader have charisma 1, everyone have luck 1. To use skill pts to min/max: look at trinkets available, remember there is also a +1 skill book(DO NOT use until after you reached lv6 in the respective skill). You're safe to buff any skills to lv 6, then be careful about spending them as they could be wasted.

RastaDC
Initiate

Post by RastaDC » April 27th, 2016, 8:56 pm

mac10 wrote:SMG: I made a brute guy with SMG and blunt weapons, mid game gained heavy weapons, Int 8, Coordination 5(start with 4), str 7, demolition(get ASAP to disarm mines for free grenades with associated perk), mechanic, weaponsmith, kissass(mainly to support the ultimate blunt weapon); trait: thick skin(+2 armor). Gave this guy the gun training book at end game.
AR: This guys is the rogue type with high skills and AP. Int 8-10, str 4, lockpick, safecrack, comp(added later), hardass; trait: fragile bones(+2 AP). Gave this guy 'the ring' for +5 initiative at end game.
Sniper: Int 5, Str 4, alarm, comp; trait: number even +1 to all stat/odd -1 to all stat(thus the Int 5, to keep the Int at 4 when odd lv).
Blade: I used the jap miner, this slot I made a leader character with Int 8-10, str 3-4, charisma 6-8, shotgun, smartass, AR(mid game); trait: delayed gratification.

All light armor characters should get weaponsmith lv2 by lv4 or 8 for +1 AP perk. All characters that is not the leader have charisma 1, everyone have luck 1. To use skill pts to min/max: look at trinkets available, remember there is also a +1 skill book(DO NOT use until after you reached lv6 in the respective skill). You're safe to buff any skills to lv 6, then be careful about spending them as they could be wasted.
thank you for taking time to reply, I have the respec mod so I'm going to adjust it based on what you have said especially the weapon smith what would you say needs changing, my current party is : I have changed the shotgun guy to an smg Image

mac10
Novice

Post by mac10 » April 28th, 2016, 3:58 pm

The quirk asshole is not that good, its fun but it will ruin quite a few diplomatic options in quite a few quests(such as the 3 recruits at the tower in the beginning, use smartass and recruit them; in LA: quest chain for hardass +1 book..); the hardass response is not always the best answer in an situation, often it turns the opposition agro. With no leader or semi leader character, you will not be able to get some of the followers, such as Pizepi(26+), Gary(25+).

perception on your highest awareness guy, usually your sniper; you also have double lockpicking, swap from Vlad's with physician. outdoors is not necessary if you plan to pick up Angie at the beginning, she has that already.

LeaFlamma
Initiate

Post by LeaFlamma » May 11th, 2016, 12:37 am

Creating a successful character is based on the weapon of choice most of all, or to be more precise, it's based on the ammount of AP the end game weapons will need. From what you are looking for...

Assault Rifles want either 10 or 12 AP. The first will let you use a burst on the first turn and a single shot and burst on the second, or two single shots each turn. For a character with Assault Rifles I tend to build with 10 AP, raising it by 1 at lvl 20 with two Coordination points and by additional 1 with Tinkerer.

For SMGs you want either 10 or 12 AP due to same reasons as Assault Rifles, although it's more tricky here, as SMGs should be ideally fired from point blank range, so some close up APs might be needed. Again start with 10 and raise to 12 by lvl 20.

A Sniper Rifle wants 12 AP always, no exceptions. The end game snipers use 7 AP, or rather 6 with Deadeye perk, making it two shots per turn. I tend to get 9 AP from attributes and Brittle Bones, raising it to 12 with Tinkerer.

Bladed Weapons are much more tricky... As it's a melee weapon, which means to deal damage you need to be in the face of the enemy, who likes to run around. If you get 6+ Strength, you will want to have at least 9AP, preferably more for movement, and some serious Speed to cut on the per tile AP cost. Depending on your Strength, you are looking at either 3AP attacks or 2AP attacks.

If I were to give CLASSIC stats... Hmm...

Assault Rifles: C-8 L-1 A-5 S-4 S-4 I-4 C-2 that gives you 10AP and 12CI at start. At 10 and 20 add Coordination and the rest drop into Awareness. If it's the leading character, pick Perception on him, and perhaps Demolitions or something else, flavours.

SMG: C-2 L-1 A-5 S-4 S-4 I-4 C-8 or same as Assault Rifles. If you pick the high Charisma, you need Way of the Squeezins for full potential, as this setup has 7AP and 12CI only. Being drunk will add the missing 3AP and the liquor is available rather early already, so it's not a big deal. Obviously you want him/her to have Leadership and perhaps Brute Force, pick two lvls of Weaponsmithing for Tinkerer.

Sniper: C-4 L-1 A-5 S-2 S-4 I-10 C-2 that gives you 9AP and again 12CI, with Brittle Bones you raise it to 11AP and Tinkerer will get you to desired 12. Drop all Attribute Points into Awareness for additional CI. Obviously the skill guy/gal. I usually give a 10Int char Lockpicking, Safecracking, Alarm Disarming and Computer Science. That allows him/her to level faster and grab the bonus SPK for unlocking skills, while keeping the Weapon Skill on a sane level.

Bladed: C-4 L-1 A-5 S-6 S-6 I-4 C-2 that gives you 9AP and 13CI for start. I would raise it to 10 with Tinkerer and most likely try to reach 12AP at lvl 40 with +1CI at lvl 50. But staying at 10AP and focusing on CI will give you more turns and a spare 1AP to move around a bit, which can be the better choice. Brute Force is a viable choice here, for the stun chance perk that is. Other than that, you want at least one char with Field Medic and Surgeon on them, so pick what you need.

Hope it helps and is clear to read.

Danest
Initiate

Post by Danest » June 5th, 2016, 3:24 pm

It looks like you have two lockpickers and no surgeon. There's almost certainly no need for two lockpickers and you'll need surgery unless you're _sure_ you're so good that no one will fall.

M4xw0lf
Scholar

Post by M4xw0lf » June 6th, 2016, 12:53 am

LeaFlamma wrote:*snip*
I'd say those are very solid builds, suitable also for Supreme Jerk difficulty. I'd like to add though, that lower AP characters are viable when going for higher CI. That way you can fire your weapon maybe only once per turn, but it's simply your turn a lot more often. In general I'd say it's wise to favor CI ahead of AP - striking first (and hard) before your enemies even have time to get into cover makes a lot of combats easier.