AMD Inventory Crash

If you need assistance with a technical issue, this forum is for you. Specifically for help with Wasteland 2 itself. Spoilers are allowed, but spoiler warning tags are recommended.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

PootyTang
Initiate

AMD Inventory Crash

Post by PootyTang »

Hey guys, just wondering if there's been any progress on a fix other than forcing dx9? I would really appreciate any news, I have been holding off playing as the dx9 fix results in bright purple trails from the bugs in the Ag Center. I have:
Radeon Software Version - 15.11.1
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
Memory Size - 3072 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 950 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor

Many thanks!
mwnn
Initiate

Re: AMD Inventory Crash

Post by mwnn »

I've got an R9 285 on Windows 10 Pro 10586.17 and get the same problem unfortunately.

I don't know if it's necessarily triggered by going into the inventory - it seems it can crash anywhere - usually between > 5 minutes < 1 hour.

Have you tried using -force-d3d12 instead of -force-d3d9

Using -force-d3d12 I'm able to play through Wasteland 2 DC without any glaring visual problems.

The framerate/general responsiveness feels slightly more sluggish over DX11 (which is strange) and the game only crashes upon exiting now!

I'd rather like to know the answer to this myself too; I've tried all of the recent driver sets and various settings.

amd-catalyst-15.7.1-win10-64bit.exe
amd-catalyst-15.11.1beta-64bit-win10-win8.1-win7-nov14.exe
Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-15.11.1-Beta-64Bit-Win10-Win8.1-Win7-Nov30.exe

All my temperatures, clock speeds, etc are all quite normal.

It looks like they're able to reproduce the error which is promising.

I've already filed a report using AMD's problem reporting form - I suggest everyone who suffers from this issue does the same.

I'm hoping that Unity 5.3 or newer drivers may be released shortly.

Satellite Reign is another Unity 5 game which suffers rather badly - even more so than Wasteland - it's unplayable in all three modes for various reasons (DX9 -> invisible characters, DX11 -> random crashing, DX12 -> crashing and/or severe visual glitches)

The display driver itself can even crash resulting in staring at a black screen =\
mwnn
Initiate

Post by mwnn »

Mike Diskett and the other chaps @ 5 Lives have traced a crashing issue back to a problem in Unity 5 - specifically with the way it handles physics & cloth.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/268870/ ... 2243348452

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =1&vwsrc=0

Is this the cause of crashing in Wasteland 2 DC?

EDIT:
The new build (1.06.05) of Satellite Reign doesn't solve the display driver randomly crashing under DX11.

Wasteland 2 crashes randomly under DX11 but doesn't cause the display driver to crash and recover - here's an output.log for that.

Regardless, it must be worth checking that Wasteland 2 doesn't suffer from the physics/cloth issue?

Neither game is fixed by using Catalyst 15.10 from my testing.
ancient46
Initiate

Post by ancient46 »

I have found that only accessing the inventory on the map screen works on my R9 285. I left my game on the inventory screen while I fed and walked the dogs and it did not crash.
mwnn
Initiate

Post by mwnn »

Another quick update:

Windows 10 Pro 10586.36 and the latest Crimson 15.12 WHQL drivers.

Still getting display driver crashes with Satellite Reign (Unity v5.2.3f1)

I'll have to test Wasteland 2 (Unity v5.2.2p2) again.

I've been testing a few other games which I can play for hours on end without issue.
Dark Souls SOTFS, ArmA 3, State of Decay YOSE, etc, etc

So I'm certain it's not a general card issue i.e. temperatures.

Interestingly I can play War for the Overworld (Unity 5.0.4f1) in DX11 mode without issue.

I believe something has got broken in Unity 5.1+

Will Wasteland be updated to Unity 5.3 ?
PootyTang
Initiate

Post by PootyTang »

Still nothing? Do the developers still read the forums? No news since November, very disappointing...
AncientToaster
Initiate

Post by AncientToaster »

They've swept this issue under the rug and there will never be a proper fix.

I've had the exact same issues since this game was released using an HD7970. Forcing DX9 causes purple artifacting and graphical anomalies in the Ag center. It's basically ridiculous that I have to play my game this way to even get it to run without crashing. 4 Months and no fix?

Never going to get one either.
kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug »

Hum, is there no way to use the OpenGL renderer (that is used on Linux and Mac) on Windows, instead of the various direct X modes ? The OpenGL renderer does work well with AMD cards.
Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool »

It's still an issue? Even after the patches? I've got an AMD GPU and haven't had any issues. Try sending specs directly to the team at support@inxile.com
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Return to “Wasteland 2: Technical Help”