What you Like/Dislike about WL2 DC!

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Revolucas
Explorer

Re: What you Like/Dislike about WL2 DC!

Post by Revolucas » November 7th, 2015, 2:16 pm

Like:
- The new trait system (Quirks & Perks)
- Precision Strikes. These give many tactical oppurtunities.
- Graphics
- Weapon re-balance

Dislike:
- CNPCs should have been enhanced to use quirks. Some of these would offset their poor attribute allocation. Scotchmo with Way of the Squeezins' would make him slightly more useful.
- Some of the UI has taken a step backward. When you compare W2 beta and W2 classic you see huge improvement in UI; It's very well done after all the user feedback. But DC takes an obscure approach on some UI design, but it is understandable since they needed to support gamepads. It's not as bad as games like Fable though.
- I sort of dislike how there is no synergy with the perks. Many of them force you to specialize instead of mix and match. This gives you less of a reason to use secondary weapon skills, especially situational weapon skills like HW and EW.
- Difficulty balance. I'm not a strong believer in using high damage multipliers, at least exclusively. Game difficulty should come from improved AI and/or more thought provoking situations. Would have been nice if when you use Supreme Jerk that AI have the ability to use Precision Strikes on your characters in tactical ways.

Phil5000
Initiate

Post by Phil5000 » November 8th, 2015, 2:38 pm

I love the visuals, the game looks beautiful.
I like perks.
I like to see a model of my ranger on my character screen.
I like how you don't have to select a specific teammate to use a skill.

I don't like the very limited selection of portraits for character creation.
I don't like how Angela Deth has two voice actors.
I don't like having to cycle through three camera modes when I want to rotate or pan the camera.

belsirk
Novice

Post by belsirk » November 10th, 2015, 5:47 am

I need to a special DISLIKE, was already present in the original version, but usually was a minor thing.

- I don't have any clue of what the status effects do in the enemies! or how are their timers!

Seriously, before almost all the strange effects were upon your character, so the items which could affect them were little surprises, usually good one. But now, I don't know which character is already under any effect other than the psychopath/daze (strange things in their head) and the armor damage (IF I remember the original value).

A simple icon appearing upon the enemies could had be good.

SnakePot
Novice

Post by SnakePot » November 10th, 2015, 10:19 pm

belsirk wrote:I need to a special DISLIKE, was already present in the original version, but usually was a minor thing.

- I don't have any clue of what the status effects do in the enemies! or how are their timers!

Seriously, before almost all the strange effects were upon your character, so the items which could affect them were little surprises, usually good one. But now, I don't know which character is already under any effect other than the psychopath/daze (strange things in their head) and the armor damage (IF I remember the original value).

A simple icon appearing upon the enemies could had be good.
At least on PC you can hover cursor over enemy portrait and status window (for lack of better name) will appear below. Status effects are located above armor value. Also, enemy struck with precision strike debuff will have glow on his model. Color of this glow varies depending on effect.

Can't help with timers, sorry. But at least some precision strike efects, like armor damage, last for whole battle.

What i like?
Precision strikes,
quirks,
perks,
weapon balance,
more VO.

Dislike?
New barter interface,
new dialogue font,
no party formations,
no ability to change party order,
starting in suad grouped mode,
no VO for NPCs when talking with your recruits
Pizepi's placeholder portrait.
"In other words, just 'cause there is potential to play munchkin mode doesn't mean that you have to. ;) And we always think a game is more fun when there are a few things that are more or less powerful [...]" - sear

Argusane
Novice

Post by Argusane » November 18th, 2015, 5:13 pm

vyvexthorne wrote:
Otaku_Hanzo wrote:
MathieuG89 wrote:- Allow us to pause the game so we can issue commands.
Uh. Not understanding what you're trying to go for here. Outside of combat there is no need to pause. Simply choose the character and tell them what they should do. In combat... well, it's turn based so... I'm not seeing what you mean here. Please clarify. :?
It'd be really good for laying down ambushes. . It's definitely how I liked to start combat in F1/F2 and Tactics. Start combat, move into positions and get the jump on enemies. Wasteland 2's camera angle and view range kind of limit the possibility of ambushes all together though. You have to be pretty close to even initiate combat with your sniper.
I didn't try this, but there was a perk, Ghost, that was supposed to keep your char from triggering an encounter. As I read it, it seemed like you could walk around the enemies all day long and not trigger the fight. Might want to look at that. That said, yeah, sometimes the encounter would trigger when I didn't want it, but that was usually because the interface always put me in group mode, and half my squad would go running off before I remembered they were grouped (because I WAS in single mode before the encounter often).

- Good'ol turn based combat. Tactically there were good options and even though I didn't take advantage of it enough, the precision shots were a great addition.
- Maintained 7 characters like in the original.
- Decent story, and I loved how they used the original characters from the default Wasteland 1 team to bring them to life (still hoping Angela is out there somewhere)
- Perk system was a nice additional way to customize the characters.
- Just overall, the game was great.

Dislikes (There are more of these, but these are more nitpicks and don't take away from the whole very much):
- Group mode default. Very frustrating at times. Needs to save the mode with the savegame.
- Barter interface. I want to know what my character has when I'm looking for ammo and stuff. The popups don't address ammo. I liked the old version better.
- Some UI elements. There were times when the right-click/left-click interface wasn't consistently used, and it caused me some misclick adventures.
- Bad selection of character portraits. The Beta version had more, and I never understood why they were removed. You'd think the list of available portraits would have just kept growing throughout development.
- Zoom level was too far out, even after the patch. I often wanted to get down on their level and look at exactly what they were seeing. I don't care if the sky is always black.
- Friendly fire triggered a bit too often. The order should have been percentage to hit on the enemy, if you fail that, then check to see if you hit the friendly, and the friendly should have a lower chance since I would assume that I'd be aiming to miss everything if I missed the enemy. It seemed opposite of that and at times, even with a 90%-100% chance of hitting the enemy, I would still get friendly fire, though I do realize there were often perks to reduce this.
- Bad NPC AI. For example, Lex said he could reprogram robots, but I never once saw him try when he would go rogue (and he went rogue a lot). He'd always run up and punch. NPCs didn't use their whole arsenal of talents when going rogue and usually chose the dumbest option.
- Trinkets. Overall I thought any trinket with a downside stunk. The negative part of the tradeoff was usually just too high for the little bit of buff it gave.
- Ending was good, but Seal Beach was a bit disappointing.
- Not enough robots!
- Not enough guns!
- Not enough pew pew pew! (Energy weapons need some balancing. I can somewhat understand the armor limitation, but flesh is actually a pretty good conductor :P)
- Come to think of it... the interface said there were two additional skills we could find while adventuring, but I never found them (though I think I know where one was, but I didn't take that option).
- The leveling system seemed too linear but the experience scaled higher. Though your dev team balanced it pretty well, I felt I was leveling up way too much, making levels seem kind of bland.

What I would like to see added:
- The good'ol use any talent/skill/attribute use system of WL1. Using your IQ to potentially solve a problem was always something I appreciated in WL1, though I was glad I could at least blow up troublesome doors that wouldn't bash or unlock.
- Fix all the stuff I didn't like :)
- More freely destructive environments. Last I checked, explosives could blow through walls too, not just doors.
- Maybe a tighter story. This one did kind of wander a bit, and it seemed to focus more on minor characters instead of the big bad enemy.
- More robots!
- More guns!
- More pew pew pew!
- LASER CATS! (lol, if you can get the licensing for them)

Bayaderas
Initiate

Post by Bayaderas » November 25th, 2015, 4:46 am

I stopped playing wasteland 2 vanilla after finishing Arizona and waited for DC. I was immediately dissapointed by the character creation and went back to the old version. I get why you cannot import your old characters due to the significant differences between the versions (even though that dissapointed me a lot), but when I went on to recreate my characters I found out that I had less options than before! I couldn't even put a backround to my model screenshot! Removing content is something you simply DON'T do in an enhanced version. More customazition options and more portraits for both you and the NPC's should've been added (they were very few, leading to grotesque repetition) and a formation option would've been nice, since your group usualy starts fighting in a 'tight round turd' formation if you haven't been lucky enough to spread them manualy beforehand. That been said, I hear there is a perk system now which should be great (more options, more personilization, more role-playing) and the graphics look a lot better. To sum up, Wasteland 2 is an awsome rpg and I can't wait for torment and (why not?) a sequel, but a big part of role-playing is the user crafting unique characters and stories, we can never have enough of that, let's not have less.

mcpo
Initiate

Post by mcpo » November 25th, 2015, 1:13 pm

I've been playing Wasteland 2 for about a week now, on Xbox One, and just want to say I love it! Simply brilliant. Brings back good memories of the original Fallout (and makes me realize just how much THAT series has devolved under Bethesda, or at least changed, into something that is lacking the heart of the original). The dialogue, the characters, inventory management, the leveling up, loot, and yes! the gameplay in Wasteland 2 are all excellent. There's some real funny stuff, too -- great writing, both historical and pop cultural references, that shows this developer knows what its doing. I've been longing for some true turn-based gameplay, and it shines in Wasteland 2. THIS is how you resurrect a classic TB RPG -- unlike the XCom reboot, which, while still good, was so dumbed down for the mass market, left me wanting something better. Wasteland 2 is it! Great job!

Only a few dislikes (minor):

1) the camera, at least on the Xbox One, seems a bit limiting and cumbersome. The default view makes it difficult to survey what you are about to run into, sometimes until it's too late -- would perhaps have been better to have an option to focus the camera slightly lower and behind the team. And while I appreciate the ability to use the right thumbstick (via a toggle) to scan further out, as well as the ability to rotate the map (via another toggle), it just seems these could have been handled better.

2) terrain detection can be hit/miss. This is more of a bug than a dislike, and I've only experienced a blatant example of it a couple times so far, but I've run into walls that don't stop bullets and don't allow you to use them as cover, when clearly they should.

3) more character portraits/skins would be nice.

Overall, I'm having a blast with this game. So happy to see the return of quality TB RPGs, like this and Divinity 2 Original Sin (which I plan on playing after I complete WL2).

Thanks, InXile, for doing great work and for bringing this game to the consoles.

Binary-Blues16
Novice

Post by Binary-Blues16 » May 9th, 2016, 9:46 am

I also would like the ability to get into crouched ambush position for my squad before initiating combat. For now, it seems like I have to make a scout initiate combat, take a bunch of hits, then run back to where the rest of the squad is waiting in ambush. Give me the ability to select ambush before combat like in XCOM.