Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

For all Wasteland 2 discussion that does not fit elsewhere, suggestions, feedback, etc. No spoilers allowed.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Phil5000
Initiate
Posts: 20
Joined: March 15th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by Phil5000 » October 28th, 2015, 12:55 am

Hi everyone. I haven't been keeping up with things so I'm sorry if this is old but I'm wondering if it will ever be possible to import a portrait into the console version of the game... somehow. Or will there be more portrait options in the future?

Have the devs mentioned anything like that? Is there a portrait DLC pack or something?

Thanks guys.

zavn
Initiate
Posts: 3
Joined: October 14th, 2015, 12:35 pm

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by zavn » October 28th, 2015, 12:23 pm

I want to bump this. I also would like to know if there will be additional portrait made available for the PS4 version or maybe the ability to take a picture of the character model and use that as a portrait? Any news on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Bovrillor
Novice
Posts: 48
Joined: October 22nd, 2015, 3:03 am

Re: ETA on the first DC patch?

Post by Bovrillor » October 28th, 2015, 11:16 pm

sear wrote:Hey guys, just an update for you. It sounds like we are targeting patch release quite soon (but not this week), with a hotfix to follow on PC at a later date.

The first patch will fix most of the gameplay bugs we've had reported by the community, such as disappearing CNPCs and the Ranger Citadel door glitch while playing with a controller, and other problems our QA team has found separately.

This hotfix is only for PC, and will address the memory leak issue. Since this will require a Unity engine version update, we have decided to do that in a separate hotfix. This will let us give it plenty of testing time internally, while you guys can continue playing the game with the other gameplay bugs fixed.

Thanks for your patience!
Is there any chance the gameplay fix will incorporate some extra player portraits for the console version (since we're lacking both customs and snapshots)? - there seem to be some missing 3D assets too (ie faces and hair)

This portrait has no selectable hair asset (in fact there's no black hair at all, apart from a chinese-looking affair)
Image

Yet a suitable one is seen throughout the game on NPCs:
Image

There's a lot more examples where that came from - access to those assets would make more of the existing portraits usable.

I'm holding off my first playthrough until the big bugs are squashed, but I'd enjoy it a lot more if I could create a party I was happy with...

Rambo
Initiate
Posts: 8
Joined: October 16th, 2015, 3:36 am

Re: ETA on the first DC patch?

Post by Rambo » October 29th, 2015, 2:37 am

I would have really hoped for more portraits already.. :(


so many people left without the ability to create characters they feel belong to them. I managed, but I feel for others.

-Archangel-
Adventurer
Posts: 984
Joined: February 21st, 2014, 4:06 am

Re: ETA on the first DC patch?

Post by -Archangel- » October 29th, 2015, 4:13 am

Bovrillor wrote:
sear wrote:Hey guys, just an update for you. It sounds like we are targeting patch release quite soon (but not this week), with a hotfix to follow on PC at a later date.

The first patch will fix most of the gameplay bugs we've had reported by the community, such as disappearing CNPCs and the Ranger Citadel door glitch while playing with a controller, and other problems our QA team has found separately.

This hotfix is only for PC, and will address the memory leak issue. Since this will require a Unity engine version update, we have decided to do that in a separate hotfix. This will let us give it plenty of testing time internally, while you guys can continue playing the game with the other gameplay bugs fixed.

Thanks for your patience!
Is there any chance the gameplay fix will incorporate some extra player portraits for the console version (since we're lacking both customs and snapshots)? - there seem to be some missing 3D assets too (ie faces and hair)

This portrait has no selectable hair asset (in fact there's no black hair at all, apart from a chinese-looking affair)
Image

Yet a suitable one is seen throughout the game on NPCs:
Image

There's a lot more examples where that came from - access to those assets would make more of the existing portraits usable.

I'm holding off my first playthrough until the big bugs are squashed, but I'd enjoy it a lot more if I could create a party I was happy with...
The default portrait that appears when you want to create a character gets assigned a model that looks like that portrait.
Why they could not make it so changing portrait automatically changes into 3d model that looks similar I have no idea. And do that for couple of portraits the game comes with, it is not like it has 100 portraits like PoE.

And they don't even make it so you can recreate 3d models manually that match the portraits...

Bovrillor
Novice
Posts: 48
Joined: October 22nd, 2015, 3:03 am

Re: ETA on the first DC patch?

Post by Bovrillor » October 29th, 2015, 8:22 am

rambo wrote:
I would have really hoped for more portraits already.. :(


so many people left without the ability to create characters they feel belong to them. I managed, but I feel for others.
-Archangel- wrote: The default portrait that appears when you want to create a character gets assigned a model that looks like that portrait.
Why they could not make it so changing portrait automatically changes into 3d model that looks similar I have no idea. And do that for couple of portraits the game comes with, it is not like it has 100 portraits like PoE.

And they don't even make it so you can recreate 3d models manually that match the portraits...
These two comments basically sum up everything that's wrong with the creation system.

1) There's too few portraits, and many of the portraits we do have lack matching parts in the editor (ie faces / hair / hats & masks) even though the files for those parts are already in the game.

2) End result is either portraits looking nothing like characters, or creating a bunch of circus freaks 'cus they're the only ones that match up.

I'm genuinely puzzled as to why there are no portraits that look like actual Rangers. If the portraits were more generic (ie less wacky) you could be a lot more creative with the 3D parts.

I apologise if this comes across as whiny or pedantic - Obviously I love the game, and I'm delighted that the game-breakers are being patched - that's precisely why I would like to play it with a team of Rangers I actually like (and I'm clearly not the only one who feels this way).

Phil5000
Initiate
Posts: 20
Joined: March 15th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by Phil5000 » October 30th, 2015, 12:34 am

If the devs could mention if there are or are not more portrait options on the horizon I would know if I should play now or wait.

User avatar
PiPboy
Explorer
Posts: 404
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 5:38 am
Location: Inside a Small Metal Box wearable around wrists

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by PiPboy » October 30th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Best option.
Remove all the player portraits not possible in the character creation screen and use them in game.

I am getting tired of seeing the fat wheat trader - old billy joe bob the farmer and biker dude with chains every 5 feet.
DC stands for Definitive Console Edition - Directors Cut was a misnomer.
My Silent protest to PC Unfriendly UI changes.

Bovrillor
Novice
Posts: 48
Joined: October 22nd, 2015, 3:03 am

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by Bovrillor » October 31st, 2015, 12:24 pm

PiPboy wrote:Best option.
Remove all the player portraits not possible in the character creation screen and use them in game.

I am getting tired of seeing the fat wheat trader - old billy joe bob the farmer and biker dude with chains every 5 feet.
With all due respect, you're commenting from a PC user's perspective. Sure the NPCs may be rather generic, but that isn't the severe problem that console users have with character creation. It'd also be quite the job to assign them all to the NPCs and adjust their appearances to match.

If anything, it'd be better to dump the full set of NPC portraits into the character creation system, so console users can actually have some choice when picking portraits. Sure we'd encounter some NPCs that looked suspiciously like a party member from time to time, but at least we'd have options. Right now our only options are:

a) Take the pre-built circus freaks.
b) Give up on having portraits that remotely resemble our Rangers.

Whatever the plan, I wish they (the devs) would just let us know. I bought the game on release day, was forced to make a party I don't remotely like, and then hit a game-stopping bug. The game has been shelved ever since - it'd be nice to know whether it's worth holding out for a worthwhile game or using it as a coaster.

User avatar
PiPboy
Explorer
Posts: 404
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 5:38 am
Location: Inside a Small Metal Box wearable around wrists

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by PiPboy » October 31st, 2015, 1:04 pm

Bovrillor wrote:
PiPboy wrote:Best option.
Remove all the player portraits not possible in the character creation screen and use them in game.

I am getting tired of seeing the fat wheat trader - old billy joe bob the farmer and biker dude with chains every 5 feet.
With all due respect, you're commenting from a PC user's perspective.
I actually am not - I am commenting on the perspective that the 3D snapshot feature is better then the portraits.
After all that is the exact portrait of the character since your simply taking a picture of it.
DC stands for Definitive Console Edition - Directors Cut was a misnomer.
My Silent protest to PC Unfriendly UI changes.

Bovrillor
Novice
Posts: 48
Joined: October 22nd, 2015, 3:03 am

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by Bovrillor » October 31st, 2015, 3:17 pm

PiPboy wrote:
Bovrillor wrote:
PiPboy wrote:Best option.
Remove all the player portraits not possible in the character creation screen and use them in game.

I am getting tired of seeing the fat wheat trader - old billy joe bob the farmer and biker dude with chains every 5 feet.
With all due respect, you're commenting from a PC user's perspective.
I actually am not - I am commenting on the perspective that the 3D snapshot feature is better then the portraits.
After all that is the exact portrait of the character since your simply taking a picture of it.
The developers have explicitly stated that they are unable to implement the snapshot feature on consoles. Weak tea, but whatever.

The console release needs something to compensate for both this and the lack of importable images. The only solution is to add more portraits, and I would assume they don't want to spend any more money on artwork - so opening up the NPC portraits for user creations is the logical move.

zavn
Initiate
Posts: 3
Joined: October 14th, 2015, 12:35 pm

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by zavn » November 1st, 2015, 12:53 pm

Allowing the use of the NPC portraits would be more than sufficient to solve the current problem. I wish the devs would let us know if they will be doing anything at all concerning portraits either way.

Phil5000
Initiate
Posts: 20
Joined: March 15th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by Phil5000 » November 1st, 2015, 11:32 pm

I'm genuinely puzzled as to why there are no portraits that look like actual Rangers. If the portraits were more generic (ie less wacky) you could be a lot more creative with the 3D parts.
Exactly. I want my guys to look like Rangers, not wasteland freaks, or bumpkins, or John Cleese in a top hat.

The funny thing is there are other portraits in the game already but they're not in the character creator. There's a female Ranger in the very first area, outside the Citadel that has a portrait that looks better than any of the ones in the character creator. Why not just let us have them all (except Vargas and Angela Deth obviously)?

User avatar
PiPboy
Explorer
Posts: 404
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 5:38 am
Location: Inside a Small Metal Box wearable around wrists

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by PiPboy » November 2nd, 2015, 7:02 am

Phil5000 wrote:
I'm genuinely puzzled as to why there are no portraits that look like actual Rangers. If the portraits were more generic (ie less wacky) you could be a lot more creative with the 3D parts.
Exactly. I want my guys to look like Rangers, not wasteland freaks, or bumpkins, or John Cleese in a top hat.

The funny thing is there are other portraits in the game already but they're not in the character creator. There's a female Ranger in the very first area, outside the Citadel that has a portrait that looks better than any of the ones in the character creator. Why not just let us have them all (except Vargas and Angela Deth obviously)?
They might have just contracted the portraits to a 3rd party.
Having a big art team is really expensive so its far easier to contract the work to 3rd party artists.
Problem is making a drawing takes a long time - which would essentially mean stalling development of character creation.

So if both the portraits and 3d models were made at the same time - they would never have a chance to properly design the portraits to match the models.
DC stands for Definitive Console Edition - Directors Cut was a misnomer.
My Silent protest to PC Unfriendly UI changes.

Bovrillor
Novice
Posts: 48
Joined: October 22nd, 2015, 3:03 am

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by Bovrillor » November 2nd, 2015, 7:07 am

Phil5000 wrote:
I'm genuinely puzzled as to why there are no portraits that look like actual Rangers. If the portraits were more generic (ie less wacky) you could be a lot more creative with the 3D parts.
Exactly. I want my guys to look like Rangers, not wasteland freaks, or bumpkins, or John Cleese in a top hat.

The funny thing is there are other portraits in the game already but they're not in the character creator. There's a female Ranger in the very first area, outside the Citadel that has a portrait that looks better than any of the ones in the character creator. Why not just let us have them all (except Vargas and Angela Deth obviously)?
I concur, all of the NPCs outside the Citadel have more useful Portraits than anything in the creator. Opening those up would give us something to work with at least. And it's not like you'll talk to most of those guys more than once anyway.

Phil5000
Initiate
Posts: 20
Joined: March 15th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by Phil5000 » November 2nd, 2015, 4:08 pm

So if both the portraits and 3d models were made at the same time - they would never have a chance to properly design the portraits to match the models.
Is that a big deal? Why do they have to have a model to match each portrait?

Moses
Initiate
Posts: 1
Joined: November 2nd, 2015, 4:00 pm

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by Moses » November 2nd, 2015, 4:19 pm

+1 game needs more portraits on consoles

vyvexthorne
Acolyte
Posts: 85
Joined: August 8th, 2012, 7:06 pm

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by vyvexthorne » November 3rd, 2015, 3:31 am

The biggest problem with the limited portraits and no ability to capture the image of someone you create is that it severely limits the unlimited racial possibilities that the CC allows for you to have. You can build a male asian sniper but there are no portraits that resemble such a character.

User avatar
Hudson
Initiate
Posts: 23
Joined: November 4th, 2015, 6:53 am
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by Hudson » November 4th, 2015, 7:04 am

I was just thinking about this the other day, are these features going to be added in a later update? I mean, honestly if it comes down to it I'd gladly pay a couple bucks for DLC with customization and a ton of portraits.
“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.” - Calvin & Hobbes

Bovrillor
Novice
Posts: 48
Joined: October 22nd, 2015, 3:03 am

Re: Importing portraits in console versions? Or more portrait options?

Post by Bovrillor » November 4th, 2015, 9:29 am

Hudson wrote:I was just thinking about this the other day, are these features going to be added in a later update? I mean, honestly if it comes down to it I'd gladly pay a couple bucks for DLC with customization and a ton of portraits.
I've just contacted one of the devs directly asking for a hint regarding this issue.

I'm suspecting we'll never see this issue fixed, but I still hope for someday being able to play the game without "Ranger Team Circus-Freaks"

Will post response, if any is given.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests