Update 62: Two Weeks to Bard's Tale IV; Quirking It Up

Announcements & media coverage pertaining to the Wasteland series. Only moderators & inXile can make new threads on this forum.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Stinktier
Acolyte

Re: Update 62: Two Weeks to Bard's Tale IV; Quirking It Up

Post by Stinktier » May 20th, 2015, 10:53 am

Me, i like the new art style. It's somehow more pronounced.

Also very noteworthy is that the update mentions more portraits. YESSSSSSS!

Gruftlord
Explorer

Post by Gruftlord » May 20th, 2015, 12:26 pm

I really like the way you handle the quirks.
sear wrote:Really, the big thing we wanted to do was get away from the idea that most of our quirks are +1 this, -1 that. We do have a few along those lines because I think there's a legitimate gameplay want for those,
as far as i'm concerned, no need for power gamey quirks like that, give us 20 of the awesome options with real downsides and positive effect.

also, i think i like the UI changes. While TV screen influenced, they speak a much clearer visual language, with much less completely differently sized windows and sub windows than the current version.

vv221
Adventurer

Post by vv221 » May 20th, 2015, 2:13 pm

To add a bit of positive thought on the subject: I actually do like the dolls.
Half funny, half creepy, that’s Wasteland spirit in a nutshell for me ;)

Ranger1
Scholar

Post by Ranger1 » May 20th, 2015, 2:49 pm

Well I hope all character descriptions match there portraits now. That always gave me a chuckle.

Woolfe
Supreme Jerk

Post by Woolfe » May 20th, 2015, 8:14 pm

Salmanasar wrote:Quirks are.. ok I guess, same with Squad Overview (but I wonder how do you want to display it on 5:4 monitors, because its too wide; and there's no place for non-custom rangers, too).
But I'm not a fan of the new Customize Ranger screen. Maybe it'll work on PS4 or xbox, but it will be just TERRIBLE on PC if we'll get the same one. We have 22' monitors almost in front of our faces, we dont need fonts and menus of that size. Old system, where we could see combat skills, knowledge skills and general skills in one window was MUCH better, easier to navigate, and gived us better overview on already spended skillpoints. We're all using mouses, we dont need all that tabs. Its typical console/gamepad compromise and I hope we wont be forced to use it on PCs (at least in "KB+M mode").

And I still hope that we'll hear something about restoration of removed content, like Gippers :(
I think that screen with the 4 characters is just an overview screen so that you can compare the 4. You still get a more indepth screen with the Combat skills knowledge etc....

A lot of people complained that they couldn't compare the 4 characters to ensure they didn't have 2 High Charisma characters or the like.

I know that happened to me once. I took so long make my 2nd and 3rd character, that I ended up with my 4th very similar to the first.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 20th, 2015, 8:57 pm

Salmanasar wrote:we dont need fonts and menus of that size
Considering how many people complained about the fonts being too small...
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Priest4hire
Explorer

Post by Priest4hire » May 21st, 2015, 1:12 am

Woolfe wrote:Nice..... I hate the dolls tho (Sorry to whoever the artist was)
But... what self respecting Fallout knockoff can do without a Vault Boy analog?

I swear, my first impression upon seeing the screenshot of the Quirks was that it really, really reminded me of Fallout. More than typical for this game.

Tets
Master

Post by Tets » May 21st, 2015, 2:10 am

keep in mind that its explicitly mentioned in the update, that those are pictures of the controler UI. I hope the Keyboard/Mouse UI also gets a design overhaul.. like someone else said, the controller ui design looks better.

i also like the dolls. :D
Stinktier wrote:Also very noteworthy is that the update mentions more portraits. YESSSSSSS!
Its nice, but there are many ranger portrait packs for W2 out there to downlaod from mod sites. i hope they also touch npc portraits.. every npc should have a unique portrait :D before they add new portraits for rangers, they could take at least a few and dedicate them to NPCs :D

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » May 21st, 2015, 3:40 am

I've actually come to hate to vault boy, not because of Fallout but because of the sheer number of Bethesda-loving retards on forums who use vault boy as an avatar.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

sear
Developer

Post by sear » May 21st, 2015, 5:32 am

Tets wrote:keep in mind that its explicitly mentioned in the update, that those are pictures of the controler UI. I hope the Keyboard/Mouse UI also gets a design overhaul.. like someone else said, the controller ui design looks better.
We are taking the best parts of the new UI for controllers and adapting it to keyboard/mouse. We'll have controller support on PC so we need to make sure the UIs are relatively consistent between modes anyway, we wouldn't want the old and new art and designs clashing too much. But obviously stuff like the controller button prompts will be removed for mouse/keyboard, changed into hotkeys or clickable buttons, etc.

dorkboy
Master

Post by dorkboy » May 21st, 2015, 6:05 am

@sear
Good to hear that the "press X to do stuff" will be changed for M+KB. And thanks for the update regarding the quirks. :)
marmelade & jam

Salmanasar
Acolyte

Post by Salmanasar » May 21st, 2015, 11:03 am

Woolfe wrote:
I think that screen with the 4 characters is just an overview screen so that you can compare the 4. You still get a more indepth screen with the Combat skills knowledge etc....

A lot of people complained that they couldn't compare the 4 characters to ensure they didn't have 2 High Charisma characters or the like.

I know that happened to me once. I took so long make my 2nd and 3rd character, that I ended up with my 4th very similar to the first.
well, old one has it flaws, but I prefer it over new one.
and as I said, i like party overwiew menu because its helpfull, but i don't like ranger creation menu. You've said "I think that screen with the 4 characters is just an overview screen so that you can compare the 4. You still get a more indepth screen with the Combat skills knowledge etc...." - ok, but it only means that i must create ranger, toggle between tabs to spend points, go back to the party overwiew to get an overview on my newly created ranger, go back to that particular ranger if I decide to change anything, toggle to skill group i want to take points, toggle to second group where i want to add points.. a lot of clicking and toggling. Something i could do in just one widow in old menu. I didnt have party overview to compare ranger1 and ranger2 (which sucked), but creating and editing one ofthem was A LOT easier and faster. Let's get best of both worlds, not change one sucking thing into another.
sear wrote:We are taking the best parts of the new UI for controllers and adapting it to keyboard/mouse. We'll have controller support on PC so we need to make sure the UIs are relatively consistent between modes anyway, we wouldn't want the old and new art and designs clashing too much. But obviously stuff like the controller button prompts will be removed for mouse/keyboard, changed into hotkeys or clickable buttons, etc.
I dont want to be a whiny party pooper, but changing "A,B, X, Y" buttons into "space, enter, w, s" doesnt magically change interface "designed for console/gamepad" into "designed for PC/KB+M". I understand that inxile preffer to avoid any inconsistencies between modes because inconsistencies generates costs and bugs (and confusion among players which are switching between both modes) but many of us backed this game because it was announced as "true PC title without compromises for consoles" and we will be VERY dissapointed if one of the "features" of GOTY patch will be "evolution" of WL2 interface into some werid "gamepad compromise". Tbh I prefer inconsistencies over gamepad interface with renamed buttons and enabled mouse. Something that sucked in, for example, witcher 2.
I understand that we're seeing only part of the picture in this update and everything is one big WIP, but news about UI in GOTY are quite.. disturbing.

AWAC
Scholar

Post by AWAC » May 21st, 2015, 2:27 pm

Crosmando wrote:I've actually come to hate to vault boy, not because of Fallout but because of the sheer number of Bethesda-loving retards on forums who use vault boy as an avatar.
Retards as in people who like F-3! :x :| I do not like F-3 from them
Change the weapon size

Salmanasar
Acolyte

Post by Salmanasar » June 7th, 2015, 8:39 am

Well, no comment on concerns is also quite disturbing. Especially after new XCOM announcement (you know, all that PC-only stuff and statement that Enemy Unknown UI was good on gamepad but terrible on kb+m so they wont do it again).

just sayin.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » June 7th, 2015, 11:01 am

Yeah, I didn't see your post before Salmanasar, but having read it I now share some of your concern about "controller support". Here's hoping that the two UI modes are distinct.

Luzeryn
Initiate

Post by Luzeryn » June 20th, 2015, 6:02 am

Sorry if this has been discussed already. What are you going to do with the fonts on Macs? The standard font for Wasteland 2 was apparently from Microsoft so it couldn't be used on Mac. But the font you decided to use on Macs is terrible, is way too different from the Windows font and uglier. It's not even a similar size, which results in letters being cut when they reach the end of the line. I complained about this months ago in an email. Are you planning to change it for the GOTY edition?