[MOD] Wasteland 2 Tiny Toolkit, v15/03/27

For community content (fan-art, fanfic, etcetera) for Wasteland 2.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

sav
Novice

Re: [MOD] Wasteland 2 (Update 2-4) Tiny Toolkit, v.14/12/03

Post by sav » December 3rd, 2014, 3:03 pm

ZaPaAl wrote:Thanks for the update, looking better now.
Not at all, have fun.
ZaPaAl wrote:Had a bit of problem with the Hit Chance 57% being lower then it should be (87%). Which could be an unswitchable perma burst, but that went away after some ItemTemplates.unity3d switching and save / loading and Burst toggling on another npc.
Possibly that's because you already have a savegame with burst mod on for Gamma Ray Blaster? I already tested it on new game and found no problem.
ZaPaAl wrote:Maybe people are just venting their general frustration
Who cares?
ZaPaAl wrote:the critics do hold some merit about the AP and brawling. If trying to balance the weapons on an all around scale, taking a look at those things would make sense.
Concerning Armor Penetration, I've already described all logic in MOD's overview and few next comments, and have nothing to add.
Concerning Brawling Weapons, after Raestloz described above their game mechanics, they seems to be well-balanced, and there is no reason to make any changes to them.

Garzhad
Novice

Post by Garzhad » December 3rd, 2014, 6:52 pm

The underbarrel mod for MG's looks really neat. Are mod slots added to weapons via C-Sharp edits or do you have to screw with the itemtemplates? I've gotten myself aquainted with C-Sharp editting, but can't manage to do jack with unity3d stuff. Then again I haven't come across a decent enough tutorial to help me figure out WTF i'm doing.

I was wondering if you might be able to add the whole entire gamut of mod slots to all weapons(scope/barrel/mag/underbarrel) or even tell me how I can do it myself if it's not overly hard?

Seriously can't wait till they finally release an official modding kit. So many things i'd like to alter that just seem... really hard to do with what we have available now. Not just extra types of ammo like New Vegas had, but new status effects as well. I'd like to normalize Energy Weapons damage in relation to the kinetic weapons(albeit with high AP) and give them a high chance to inflict a 'Super-Heated Armor' status effect, that applies a heat-based damage over time effect(akin to bleeding) along with reducing AC by 2-4 pts, and maybe other similar 'armor-sundering' type effects to appropriate weapons. This could even increase teammate interdependence/diversity and while keeping low-AP weapons relevant; SMG's, HG's, Blades and shotguns can still be effective versus power armor, you just need someone with a sledge, proton axe or blaster to act as the can opener first.

I'd like to swap all current 'Underbarrel' mods to a new 'Accessory' category, and save Underbarrel slot for things like underbarrel shotguns(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M26_Modula ... gun_System) and M203 Grenade launchers(selectable via the change firing mode button).

I'd also like to make the 'Short Barrel' mod not nigh-useless by having it remove the 'point blank range' penalties when installed(and maybe having longer ones Increase it).

Had also been thinking of rebalancing armor types and AP values around the NIJ Type 1-4 specifications, although i'd have to expand it to account for power armor and such. There exists a protection 'Level 10' offered for armored cars that can stop .50 BMG. Seems appropriate.

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Re: [MOD] Wasteland 2 (Update 2-4) Tiny Toolkit, v.14/12/02

Post by IHaveHugeNick » December 3rd, 2014, 8:55 pm

sav wrote: And no one is forcing you. You'll make a better one.
No, nobody is forcing me. Doesn't change the fact that your mod is bad, and you should feel bad. I certainly feel bad for people who will actually install it.
ZaPaAl wrote: Maybe people are just venting their general frustration
Nobody is venting anything. Its a community mod, we are the community, so we give our opinion about it. Unfortunately OP's attitude about any critisism is going full butthurt mode and "go make your own" kind of responses which goes on to show he has zero interest in fixing mistakes that are apparent to everybody.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

random anon
Acolyte

Re: MOD Wasteland 2 [Update 2-3] Tiny Mod Kit

Post by random anon » December 3rd, 2014, 10:22 pm

Raestloz wrote:Brawler damage = brawler weapon + your level.
At level 50, a minimum of 50 damage will be delivered to your enemy
There's also a +1 bonus to min and max melee damage for every 4 points of strength, including strength values over 10, even if they aren't displayed in character sheet.

Regarding ammo and weapon rebalance, I still can't get why do weapons that use same ammo have (very) different armor penetration and damage per bullet. Bullet is propelled by gunpowder, weapon can only lessen its muzzle velocity by long barrel and supressor. Weapons irl differ in accuracy, rate of fire, magazine capacity, weight and reliability, but they don't give energy to propelled bullets. In W2, weapons with almost same barrel length deal ridiculously different damage and penetration using same bullets:
Mac 17 smg: .45 cal 12-21 pen 3
M1911 pistol: .45 cal 50-70 pen 7

Hunting rifle: .30-06 12-15 pen 3
M24 rifle: .30-06 42-56 pen 5

Where do those differences come from? Developers could just as well make them to be some magical fantasy crossbows with runes and soulgems and demon horns, won't be any different.
All real armor vests are designed to stop certain types of bullets, too. I've never read that a kevlar vest can stop a 9mm bullet from one handgun and just let another 9mm bullet pass through both sides making a nice hole - just because it was shot from a handgun that's two tiers higher.

Imo, whoever decides to rework weapon/armor system from current trainwreck of a state, needs to balance bullets vs armor first of all, and then weapons to bullets. Just forget about "tiers" and "levels" and remake it from scratch to be at least reasonable.
It's also a bit more complicated than "muzzle energy". Rifle bullets do a lot less actual damage than pistol bullets, but have much more penetration ability.

p.s. having 5.56x39, 5.56x45 and 5.56x51 merged into a single bullet type, there's no point in having .38 and 9mm as different types.

sav
Novice

Post by sav » December 4th, 2014, 1:19 am

Garzhad wrote:The underbarrel mod for MG's looks really neat. Are mod slots added to weapons via C-Sharp edits or do you have to screw with the itemtemplates?...

I was wondering if you might be able to add the whole entire gamut of mod slots to all weapons(scope/barrel/mag/underbarrel) or even tell me how I can do it myself if it's not overly hard?
As you can see from Underbarrel MOD files, it was made by editing both Assembly-CSharp.dll and ItemTemplates.unity3d. Used tools Red-gate Reflector + Reflexil + Hex editor.
Any mod can be added to any weapon in this way, even barrel + choke to the knife, weigth + grip to SMG, etc.
IHaveHugeNick wrote:Unfortunately OP's attitude about any critisism is going full butthurt mode and "go make your own" kind of responses which goes on to show he has zero interest in fixing mistakes that are apparent to everybody.
Do not confuse criticism with boorishness.
random anon wrote:Where do those differences come from? Developers could just as well make them to be some magical fantasy crossbows with runes and soulgems and demon horns, won't be any different.
I guess all problems due to the need to release the game on time. WL2 developers made a huge work, but apparently do not have time to finalize some ideas, like character attribute Magic, Synth technology skill, caliber: Cal123, Cal12T, Cal22LR, Cal308, Cal20mmGrenade, etc. and yet disabled them. Perhaps we will find some of them in future addons.
random anon wrote:Imo, whoever decides to rework weapon/armor system from current trainwreck of a state, needs to balance bullets vs armor first of all, and then weapons to bullets.
I dоubt that anyone other than WL2 developers should make such "full weapon rework". And all these weapon re-balancing MODs (and not only them) is just an attempt of WL2 community to pay attention of game developers to the existing problems.

Garzhad
Novice

Post by Garzhad » December 4th, 2014, 10:44 am

random anon wrote: All real armor vests are designed to stop certain types of bullets, too. I've never read that a kevlar vest can stop a 9mm bullet from one handgun and just let another 9mm bullet pass through both sides making a nice hole - just because it was shot from a handgun that's two tiers higher.
It can. It's called 'higher velocity'. NIJ Type 2 through 3a each are rated to stop 9mm at various speeds. 2a = 373m/s, 3 = 398m/s, 3a = 427m/s(most SMG's, ect.) Barrel length plays considerably into bullet velocity(roughly 10m/s per inch), which effects penetration of body armor greatly, as well as the shape, material and powder load(+P, ect) of the bullet.
random anon wrote: Imo, whoever decides to rework weapon/armor system from current trainwreck of a state, needs to balance bullets vs armor first of all, and then weapons to bullets. Just forget about "tiers" and "levels" and remake it from scratch to be at least reasonable.
When official tools come out to make it much easier to do, i'll probably do my own rebalancing, utilizing NIJ body armor standards and armored cars(whose 'level 10' armor can stop .50 BMG) to establish AP/AC values.
I Really want to get into changing the handguns. Have two per tier, one semi-auto(high capacity, quicker reloads, less damage) and one revolver(low cap(5-8 depending on caliber), slow reloads(without speedloader mod), higher damage and AP) per tier, with tier six being the Desert Eagle and .500 Raging Bull. Would probably be just a personal mod though. It would be helpful for testing game balance if the mod kit also introduced an 'arena' where you can spawn various enemies and fight them.
random anon wrote: It's also a bit more complicated than "muzzle energy". Rifle bullets do a lot less actual damage than pistol bullets, but have much more penetration ability.
Please go get shot by a 7.62mm rifle and a 9mm pistol and THEN come back and tell me rifle bullets do less damage. 7.62mm's are manstoppers, 9mm pistol rounds are not. 7.62mm is also LARGER then 9mm. It is longer. 7.62mm weighs 3+grams more then 9mm. This is why yawing 7.62 creates huge wound channels.
http://files.forensicmed.webnode.com/20 ... bineWP.jpg http://files.forensicmed.webnode.com/20 ... WPcopy.jpg http://files.forensicmed.webnode.com/20 ... WPcopy.jpg
Also worth noting, while complete target penetration is often lamented as 'wasting energy', the targets will actually bleed out faster due to two open wounds, dropping blood pressure more quickly, though hole diameter is also a factor. Regarding exit wounds, the pressure built up in front of the bullet can effectively cause the skin or hide on the far side to violently rupture, leaving a much larger exit wound than entrance wound. So, greater tissue disruption versus faster bleed out... both kill.
The temporary cavity(which is far greater in rifles) Can in some instances cause significant disruption of less elastic organs like the heart, but especially the brain, which has no room for expansion. Rifle shots to the head often cause explosive head wounds and turn the brain into soup, unlike low velocity handgun rounds which just plow through. There are also cases of the TC causing fractures in bones very close to the wound channel. There's also the problem of ballistic pressure waves(hydrostatic shock) which despite being controversial, has not been Disproven, there's some evidence For, and is only statistically significant in high-velocity rifles, observed in animals as large as buffalo using .338 rounds @ impact velocities of 792+m/s.
random anon wrote: p.s. having 5.56x39, 5.56x45 and 5.56x51 merged into a single bullet type, there's no point in having .38 and 9mm as different types.
My opinion on this is mixed. Generally, .38 are super weak compared to 9mm, is the primary reason. All .38 is stopped by NIJ type 1, really. Stopping 9mm's spans 3 entire levels, all higher then the .38's. Another interesting fact is that .45's are much easier to stop then 9mm's due to their lower velocity, and for all intents are purposes should have less AP(NIJ Type 2 vs type 3a for high velocity 9mm)

random anon
Acolyte

Post by random anon » December 4th, 2014, 12:43 pm

Garzhad wrote:It's called 'higher velocity'.
So guns increase velocity of bullets?
Garzhad wrote:Please go get shot by a 7.62mm rifle and a 9mm pistol and THEN come back and tell me, the world class internet expert on forensics, how rifle bullets do less damage.
I mostly meant lower-caliber bullets. There are quite a lot of stories how nato bullets went through (muscles) not doing much, while a single expansive 9mm was fatal for (unarmoured) ppl. 7.62 is no joke yea, not to mention .50
Garzhad wrote:Generally, .38 are super weak compared to 9mm.
That's not the point. Also, since when does Makarov use ".38"?

p.s. inb4 someone tries to discuss what is a health point

Garzhad
Novice

Post by Garzhad » December 4th, 2014, 3:17 pm

random anon wrote:
Garzhad wrote:It's called 'higher velocity'.
So guns increase velocity of bullets?
Barrel length does, yes, as I said. In addition, numerous weapons are listed as 'pieces of shit' in the description. A half-assed cobbled together weapon would perform drastically less then optimal, and significantly impact muzzle velocity and accuracy depending on how shoddy the damn thing was.
Primarily, though, the clusterfuck of mismatched damages and AP values are just inherent side effects of 1. Not having enough ammunition variety for logical progression 2. It being an RPG with 'hit points' that steadily increase. Balancing would be much easier if Hit Points were a fixed thing like they are in STALKER or FC3, with weapons dealing a specified amount of damage that is reduced by worn armor. In those games, the large caliber sniper rifles were all basically one shot kill against people not wearing armor, though people wearing exoskeletons, Spec Ops armor ect could tank quite a few hits.
Garzhad wrote:Please go get shot by a 7.62mm rifle and a 9mm pistol and THEN come back and tell me, the world class internet expert on forensics, how rifle bullets do less damage.
random anon wrote: I mostly meant lower-caliber bullets. There are quite a lot of stories how nato bullets went through (muscles) not doing much, while a single expansive 9mm was fatal for (unarmoured) ppl. 7.62 is no joke yea, not to mention .50
The important thing here is 'muscles'. A 9mm hit to something like a limb isn't going to be any more fatal then a rifle round to a limb, unless said rifle is within the 'optimal' range for the bullet and practically blows your limb the hell off. All instances of rifle rounds 'zipping' through people are A: Hits past the maximum 'effective' range for the weapon where it's bullet has lost so much velocity that it no longer yaws or fragments; note at this range a handgun round would still be considerably less effective. B: Limb shots, where there simply isn't enough meat for it to disrupt.
The main problem with 5.56 is when the target is within it's optimal range(100-200meters depending on barrel length) it can inflict utterly horrific wounds, but past that range it loses so much velocity it tends to zing through targets instead of violently tearing itself apart and spalling everywhere inside your abdominal cavity. It also in general sucks at barrier penetration, but SWAT teams and other LE agencies actually like 5.56 carbines for this reason, as at CQC ranges the lethality and armor penetration are far greater then any SMG on the market with far less chance of the rounds plowing through walls and killing a hostage.
7.62 has no such problem, being wider and 3x as heavy, not depending on spalling to inflict it's damage.
I had modeled this in my STALKER and Far Cry 3 mods by having the base damage of 5.56 being High, but suffer from crippling range modifiers past 'optimum' range, dropping damage by 60% or so.

The 5.56 Nato's performance is actually a good indicator of what an actual rail or 'gauss' gun like in Fallout 2 would do. Rather then the mistaken notion that a BB fired from a gauss rifle would zip right through the target, the resistive forces exerted on the projectile the second it actually hits anything would greatly exceed the materials ability to hold itself together and it would violently explode, dumping every Joule into the target. In the case of a gauss rifle against a human being, it would be much the same effect as shooting a squirrel with a high-powered rifle; i.e., the temporary cavity is greater then the size of the animal, resulting in it simply exploding into bloody chunks like the Prawn weapon in District 9.
random anon wrote:
Garzhad wrote:Generally, .38 are super weak compared to 9mm.
That's not the point. Also, since when does Makarov use ".38"?
Probably since the 9mm ammo in game is of the parabellum variety and the developers were too lazy/didn't care to add 9x18mm ammo to the game, or maybe the reason is that the handgun was modified to fire more common .38's since hurr in amurika we don't like no stinky commie rounds, sorta like the description for the M2 indicates it was retooled to fire 5.56 despite originally being a .50.
Speaking of MG's, the Bren description indicates the weapon looks like it'd been looted from a museum, broken, then put back together by an idiot, explaining it's mediocrity.
random anon wrote: p.s. inb4 someone tries to discuss what is a health point
What is a health point? XD

random anon
Acolyte

Post by random anon » December 4th, 2014, 3:38 pm

Garzhad wrote:A half-assed cobbled together weapon would perform drastically less then optimal, and significantly impact muzzle velocity and accuracy
Accuracy - yes, also may jam, is probably heavy and rusty - but why should it affect the muzzle velocity of a bullet? That comes down to the state of barrel. If it's not bent, has precise geometry and if rifling inside barrel isn't damaged, there's no reason for bullets shot from it to do any less damage than from a branded expensive rifle with same barrel length.

That's really a talk about the Weaponsmithing skill and the condition of weapons. Currently, it does nothing. Theoretically, Ranger Citadel has both electricity and machinery for metalworking, so making something decent out of a Rust Bucket shouldn't be impossible.

There are many ways to approach game balancing of combat, and the current "weapon tier vs gazillion of HP" with armor ranging from worthless to deathtrap, isn't best imo. Any decent weapon/armor mod for W2 would need to change C# game code anyway, so why not make it adequate, it's not a magical fantasy about sexy elves in mithril bikini chainmails.

Garzhad
Novice

Post by Garzhad » December 4th, 2014, 6:40 pm

random anon wrote:
Garzhad wrote:A half-assed cobbled together weapon would perform drastically less then optimal, and significantly impact muzzle velocity and accuracy
Accuracy - yes, also may jam, is probably heavy and rusty - but why should it affect the muzzle velocity of a bullet? That comes down to the state of barrel. If it's not bent, has precise geometry and if rifling inside barrel isn't damaged, there's no reason for bullets shot from it to do any less damage than from a branded expensive rifle with same barrel length.

That's really a talk about the Weaponsmithing skill and the condition of weapons. Currently, it does nothing. Theoretically, Ranger Citadel has both electricity and machinery for metalworking, so making something decent out of a Rust Bucket shouldn't be impossible.

There are many ways to approach game balancing of combat, and the current "weapon tier vs gazillion of HP" with armor ranging from worthless to deathtrap, isn't best imo. Any decent weapon/armor mod for W2 would need to change C# game code anyway, so why not make it adequate, it's not a magical fantasy about sexy elves in mithril bikini chainmails.
While the armor system is broken as all hell and EW in particular are a cluster, everything else is really standad RPG fare. Tiers of weapon and gazillions of hit points are basically what every rpg has, you must hate every rpg ever.
Regardless, since your so invested, and seemingly have your own ideas on how to do things, why don't you try and balance it yourself. No doubt no matter what Fargo does to fix balance in the future, you will find some fault in it; if its good enough, maybe you'll get mod of the month on Nexus.

Garzhad
Novice

Post by Garzhad » December 4th, 2014, 7:21 pm

sav wrote:
Garzhad wrote:The underbarrel mod for MG's looks really neat. Are mod slots added to weapons via C-Sharp edits or do you have to screw with the itemtemplates?...

As you can see from Underbarrel MOD files, it was made by editing both Assembly-CSharp.dll and ItemTemplates.unity3d. Used tools Red-gate Reflector + Reflexil + Hex editor.
Any mod can be added to any weapon in this way, even barrel + choke to the knife, weigth + grip to SMG, etc.
Yeah, I opened up the patch file to see what it does. Not like it helped. All gibberish to me XD

ZaPaAl
Initiate

Post by ZaPaAl » December 5th, 2014, 9:20 am

sav wrote:Who cares?
Doesn't caring define humanity?
Could tell you about another bug, but suddenly I don't care that much anymore.
There you have it, you pushed me over to the dark side. :(
sav wrote:and have nothing to add.
That's ok, I never asked for anything. 8-)
Thanks again!

sav
Novice

Post by sav » December 5th, 2014, 9:50 am

ZaPaAl wrote:
sav wrote:Who cares?
Doesn't caring define humanity?
Could tell you about another bug, but suddenly I don't care that much anymore.
There you have it, you pushed me over to the dark side. :(
You misunderstood. "Who cares?" was not to your address. If people as IHaveHugeNick do not know how to behave correctly, I ignore them and don't care to their opinion.
As you can see above I thanked you for the bug you've found. It was a surprise to see such a post from you.

Garzhad
Novice

Post by Garzhad » December 5th, 2014, 10:17 pm

So, I see this in the patcher: s/3c403e4e6f206964656120776861742068617070656e6564.\{680\}/&09_GG/

I get that after the s/ is the hex value to find the weapons entry, and that the '&09_GG/' bit changes some hex to '09' but what is everything else doing?

Edit: Oook, I think I get it now. The patch locates the item entry by the hex string, jumps forward however many digits is specified, then writes the specified text. Hmm.

Switching everything from 09 to 07 enables all the mods an AR can fit XD

Still curious as to how you figured out what hex did what(the weapon mod was a lonely little bit of hex in a sea of hex with no helpful ansi to point it out). Simple trial and error or you know another way?

sav
Novice

Post by sav » December 6th, 2014, 4:40 am

Garzhad wrote:Simple trial and error or you know another way?
Software analytics without its documentation is always a trial. Thanks to the game developers, WL2 is almost opensource project and its modding is an easy task.
First you could find with Reflector in Assembly-CSharp.dll weapon stats:

Code: Select all

public class ItemTemplate_Weapon : ItemTemplate_Equipment
{
    // Fields
    public bool alwaysHits;
    public WeaponAnimType animType;
    public int armorPenetration;
    public int attackRange;
    public float bloodyMessChance;
    public int criticalHitBonusChance;
    public float criticalHitDamageMultiplier;
    public DamageType damageType;
    public int hitChanceAtPointBlankRange;
    public int hitChancePastOptimalRange;
    public InventoryWeaponType inventoryWeaponType;
    public bool knockback;
    public float knockbackDistance;
    public bool knockDown;
    public int maxDamage;
    public int minDamage;
    public MissSFXType missSFX;
    public WeaponModClass modClass;
    public int noiseRadius;
    public int optimalRange;
    public int percentToApplyStatusEffect;
    public int pointBlankRange;
    public GameObject prefab;
    public WeaponShake shake;
    public string skill;
    public StatusEffect[] statusEffect;
    public DropSet stripDropSet;
    public WeaponType weaponType;
and ranged weapon stats:

public class ItemTemplate_WeaponRanged : ItemTemplate_Weapon
{
    // Fields
    public int actionPointCostToReload;
    public int actionPointCostToUnjam;
    public int baseMissAngle;
    public float bulletSpeed;
    public int[] burstingAdditionalMissAngle;
    public Caliber caliber;
    public int chanceToJam;
    public int clipSize;
    public static string[] compareFields;
    public float delayBetweenBullets;
    public FiringModeInfo[] firingModeInfos;
for better understanding which of them could be modified.
Then find any ranged weapon section in ItemTemplates.unity3d (e.g. <@>Makeshift Mace, <@>Wasteland Hawk, etc.), find the required Weapon stat inside its section (wiki could be usefull), change it and test in the game. Fortunately all weapon stats are 4 byte aligned and arranged in the order in which they appear in weapon description window of the game.
For more convenience you can extract with Disunity raw data from ItemTemplates.unity3d, find any ranged weapon data file from MonoBehavoir dir and mark all interesting values in it. You should get something like this:

Now you're ready to make your own weapon re-balancing MOD. That's why weapon re-balancing is the easiest task of WL2 modding.
Garzhad wrote:Switching everything from 09 to 07 enables all the mods an AR can fit XD

Still curious as to how you figured out what hex did what(the weapon mod was a lonely little bit of hex in a sea of hex with no helpful ansi to point it out).
You can find Weapon mods values in appropriate Enum in Assembly-CSharp.dll:

public enum WeaponModClass
{
    None,
    Melee,
    Revolver,
    Pistol,
    SMG,
    Shotgun,
    AssaultRifle,
    SniperRifle,
    Energy,
    MachineGun
}
where SniperRifle == 0x07 or (added by UMG MOD) MachineGun == 0x09. Now you can open raw-data file of any sniper rifle, seek all values == 0x07, try to change them and thus find the position of Weapon mod stat.
P.S. Hopefully any information from this post doesn't violate the Forum Rules.

Garzhad
Novice

Post by Garzhad » December 6th, 2014, 12:30 pm

That and the picture was very helpful, thanks. I've found the weapons weight is the first thing after the Icon text(00 41 in the G41's case) and is an inverted Float(G41 weight = 8lbs = 41 00 but has to be coded as 00 41 for it to work properly).
The accuracy bonuses for pointblank and maximum range are right before the bits for min/max damage, both inverted integers. Everything falling into place now lol.
Also, any reason you use Reflector over say Telerik justdecompile?

sav
Novice

Post by sav » December 6th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Garzhad wrote:Also, any reason you use Reflector over say Telerik justdecompile?
Reflector disassembles iterators to, JustDecompiler don't.

Garzhad
Novice

Post by Garzhad » December 6th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Hey again. Went through pretty much every hex for the weapon data, used it in the patcher program to make weapons fully customizable, really, but i've run into a snag. I figured out the hard way that you have to have it search and replace hex starting at the furthest bit and working in, but it seems it doesn't like things that are longer then two characters.
Excerpt:
s/3c403e4272656e.\{618\}/&D8FFFFFF_GG/ #Max range penalty int inverted. D8FFFFFF = -40
s/3c403e4272656e.\{610\}/&ECFFFFFF_GG/ #PB range penalty int inverted. ECFFFFFF = -20
s/3c403e4272656e.\{602\}/&05_GG/ #Max PB or min optimum range. 05 = 5m
s/3c403e4272656e.\{594\}/&11_GG/ #Max optimum range. 11 = 17m
s/3c403e4272656e.\{586\}/&14_GG/ #Max range. 14 = 20m
s/3c403e4272656e.\{318\}/&9841_GG/ #weight float inverted. 9841 = 19lbs(real Bren weight)
s/3c403e4272656e.\{250\}/&0E01_GG/ #monetary value int inverted. 0e01 = 270 scrap

It works for all the two character changes but when it comes to the 4+ character ones, like the weight and value code, instead of the expected '0E 01' and '98 41' it comes out as '0E 01 01' and '98 41 41'.

Do you have to do something special to make a change greater then 2 characters to work? Still fiddling with it trying to get it to work myself, just wondered if you knew a quickfix that would save hours of headbanging XD

Garzhad
Novice

Post by Garzhad » December 14th, 2014, 11:26 pm

I noticed a discrepancy with the data you used in your balancing mod. You have the incorrect values for 5.56x45mm. 5.56mm NATO is 1,767Joules(NOT 1303) for FMJBT, compared to 7.62mm @ 3,304Joules.

Regardless, the 5.56mm actually penetrates body armor better, it just doesn't make as large a hole. There are more then a few types of Level3 body armor plates that stop all non-AP 7.62mm/.308 but were fully unable to stop even M855. And there are other non-AP 5.56mm that penetrate even better. The smaller, faster, higher SD bullets are harder for armor to stop, period.

sav
Novice

Post by sav » December 15th, 2014, 4:12 am

Garzhad wrote:Do you have to do something special to make a change greater then 2 characters to work? Still fiddling with it trying to get it to work myself, just wondered if you knew a quickfix that would save hours of headbanging XD
Answered to PM. Will not fill page with offtop.
Garzhad wrote:I noticed a discrepancy with the data you used in your balancing mod. You have the incorrect values for 5.56x45mm. 5.56mm NATO is 1,767Joules(NOT 1303) for FMJBT, compared to 7.62mm @ 3,304Joules.
Instead of the Muzzle energy of 5.56mm NATO in Joules I mistakenly specified it in ft·lbf ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56%C3%9745mm_NATO ). I'll update its description in the next release, thanks for a tip.
Garzhad wrote:Regardless, the 5.56mm actually penetrates body armor better, it just doesn't make as large a hole. There are more then a few types of Level3 body armor plates that stop all non-AP 7.62mm/.308 but were fully unable to stop even M855. And there are other non-AP 5.56mm that penetrate even better. The smaller, faster, higher SD bullets are harder for armor to stop, period.
Firstly, according to classical mechanics ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_%28physics%29 ), the object with lesser energy (1,767 J) can not do more work (read ARMRPEN) than the object with higher energy (3,304 J).
Also it is necessary to take into account the difference in the bullet types. It is wrong to compare ARMRPEN abilities of standard 7.62mm FMJ bullet and thermostrengthened steel/tungsten/armor-piercing/incendiary 5.56mm bullet (e.g. M855, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.56%C3%9745mm_NATO ). If we take the armor-piercing 5.56mm bullet, let's compare it with the armor-piercing 7.62mm, that not every NIJ-4 armor can withstand. For better understanding of differences between 5.56mm and 5.56mm or 7.62mm and 7.62mm bullets, you can read russian Body Armor Standard GOST R 50744-95 ( https://translate.google.com.ua/transla ... t=&act=url ). Should I say more?
And yes, when you creating weapon re-balance MOD, the consideration of characteristics of the real weapons should be in general terms. WL2 is a game, not a simulator, so should be a balance between realism and gameplay.