Status Effects - Opened Up, Face/Off

Check here to discuss Wasteland 2 gameplay topics. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Yosharian
Acolyte

Status Effects - Opened Up, Face/Off

Post by Yosharian » September 24th, 2014, 9:33 am

What do the status effects 'Opened Up' and 'Face/Off' (from the unique weapon The Face Ripper') do?

I'm trying to make Takayuki less useless (Bladed Weapons.. absolutely crap).

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: Status Effects - Opened Up, Face/Off

Post by SagaDC » September 24th, 2014, 9:38 am

Best way to find out is to force-attack your own allies with them, so the status effects will appear. I can probably do it myself real quick.

EDIT - Okay, just ran a quick test. Need to edit the Faceripper into my game before I can test it, since I haven't unlocked it in my current run-through just yet. But in the meantime:

Locked (60% chance from Notched Pickaxe): -1 Action Points for 40 Seconds.

Opened Up (various weapons, including SHU-model Combat Knife): -1 CON every 6 Seconds. No time limit, so possibly indefinite bleeding damage until treated?
Last edited by SagaDC on September 24th, 2014, 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Yosharian
Acolyte

Post by Yosharian » September 24th, 2014, 9:41 am

SagaDC wrote:Best way to find out is to force-attack your own allies with them, so the status effects will appear. I can probably do it myself real quick.
Ahh i hadnt thought of that, yes I will do that now

In case anyone is interested:

Opened Up: -1 CON every 6 seconds (permanent duration I think)

Face/Off: -2 CI, -20 chance to hit (percentage? unclear), seems to be 60sec duration or so

basically, Opened Up is fricking useless (-1 hp every 6 seconds when my enemy has 500 hp? ye thanks for that), Face/Off is ... not too bad but at 30% it's too unreliable to wield such a weak weapon specifically for it.
Last edited by Yosharian on September 24th, 2014, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » September 24th, 2014, 9:45 am

Ah, there you go. Beat me to it. :)

Yosharian
Acolyte

Post by Yosharian » September 24th, 2014, 9:50 am

SagaDC wrote:Ah, there you go. Beat me to it. :)
ye =p

Does anyone know how to get the Bladed Weapon 'This Is A Knife'?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » September 24th, 2014, 10:10 am

Yosharian wrote:
ye =p

Toaster Quest item in California. Can't remember which one, but I'll take a quick look around.

EDIT - Ah, got it. You have to get the Pocket Knife item from a toaster in Titan Valley, then trade it to the gun shop owner in Hollywood. He'll pull the whole "that's not a knife!" trope with you.

Yosharian
Acolyte

Post by Yosharian » September 24th, 2014, 10:21 am

SagaDC wrote:
Yosharian wrote:
ye =p

Toaster Quest item in California. Can't remember which one, but I'll take a quick look around.

EDIT - Ah, got it. You have to get the Pocket Knife item from a toaster in Titan Valley, then trade it to the gun shop owner in Hollywood. He'll pull the whole "that's not a knife!" trope with you.
Oh great, it's not like I sold that item or anything

*traipses back through all the places previously visited*

Whelp
Acolyte

Post by Whelp » September 25th, 2014, 7:09 am

That is fucking awesome. I wish I had someone with high toaster repair from the beginning, love details like this.

ZonkerBrainless
Explorer

Post by ZonkerBrainless » September 25th, 2014, 7:17 am

I'm sad I wasted a requisition on an item whose only benefit is opened up. Utterly useless.

Why put an effect on a requisition that only really affects the player characters?

Bleeding hurts me because if I survive an encounter I have to deal with bleeding effects.

My enemies, by definition, NEVER survive any encounters with me, so all bleeding does is add 1 or two points of damage!

Why in the world would I ever be interested in this?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » September 25th, 2014, 7:38 am

ZonkerBrainless wrote:My enemies, by definition, NEVER survive any encounters with me, so all bleeding does is add 1 or two points of damage!

Well, for what it's worth, "Opened Up" is one of the very few status conditions that can stack (most of them have the "unique" descriptor, which means they don't). So in theory, that bleeding damage can add up pretty quickly, especially with the relatively fast attack speed of bladed weapons. The SHU-Model Combat Knife takes 3AP to attack with, or 2 with a grip, meaning you can easily get three or four swings off a round. If they all hit, then the enemy takes an additional 4 damage the following round. If they somehow survive another round with you, they're now taking 7-8 additional damage each round, and so on.

That's not to say it's a great ability, but it's at least better than it looks at a glance.

Yosharian
Acolyte

Post by Yosharian » September 25th, 2014, 9:06 am

SagaDC wrote:
ZonkerBrainless wrote:My enemies, by definition, NEVER survive any encounters with me, so all bleeding does is add 1 or two points of damage!

Well, for what it's worth, "Opened Up" is one of the very few status conditions that can stack (most of them have the "unique" descriptor, which means they don't). So in theory, that bleeding damage can add up pretty quickly, especially with the relatively fast attack speed of bladed weapons. The SHU-Model Combat Knife takes 3AP to attack with, or 2 with a grip, meaning you can easily get three or four swings off a round. If they all hit, then the enemy takes an additional 4 damage the following round. If they somehow survive another round with you, they're now taking 7-8 additional damage each round, and so on.

That's not to say it's a great ability, but it's at least better than it looks at a glance.
Wait a minute, Opened Up stacks? That's..

That's still not worth wielding that piece of shit weapon for =p Still useful information though.

Seriously, it's a godamn Combat Knife with a cute special effect. That's it. A weapon which has been available for a pittance from the quartermaster for the majority of the game. It's bullshit.

I love the game but it's been balanced by fucking monkeys, sorry.
ZonkerBrainless wrote:Bleeding hurts me because if I survive an encounter I have to deal with bleeding effects.

My enemies, by definition, NEVER survive any encounters with me, so all bleeding does is add 1 or two points of damage!

Nail, Head.

Gotcha
Scholar

Post by Gotcha » September 25th, 2014, 9:18 am

All the special weapons seem very useless to me, with the exception of the Gamma Ray Blaster. It's a real pity.
Requisitions are severely limited. They should give players something useful when turning one in.

ZonkerBrainless
Explorer

Post by ZonkerBrainless » September 25th, 2014, 9:30 am

The armor is useful. Some of the trinkets are useful. The Lariat is fun if silly, I imagine against a boss it would actually be quite useful indeed.

Shoot! Should've tried it against the Meson Cannon!

Dark
Scholar

Post by Dark » September 25th, 2014, 1:02 pm

Hm, it suddenly occurs to me that the Lariat could be handy as the second weapon for an AR user when fighting things like the Slicer Dicers.

Kriegmann
Initiate

Post by Kriegmann » May 2nd, 2016, 10:19 am

Yosharian wrote:
SagaDC wrote:

Wait a minute, Opened Up stacks? That's..

That's still not worth wielding that piece of shit weapon for =p Still useful information though.

Seriously, it's a godamn Combat Knife with a cute special effect. That's it. A weapon which has been available for a pittance from the quartermaster for the majority of the game. It's bullshit.

I love the game but it's been balanced by fucking monkeys, sorry.
ZonkerBrainless wrote:Bleeding hurts me because if I survive an encounter I have to deal with bleeding effects.

Nail, Head.
Actually, it doesn't do a flat -1. Your rangers are just weak. It does 6% of max CON

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » May 2nd, 2016, 1:46 pm

Kriegmann wrote:Actually, it doesn't do a flat -1. Your rangers are just weak. It does 6% of max CON
Keep in mind that you're replying to comments from 2014, a month before Wasteland 2 was officially released, and a year before the Director's Cut version of the game was released. Things changed considerably between then and now, based in part on feedback like this. :)

Kriegmann
Initiate

Post by Kriegmann » May 3rd, 2016, 6:06 pm

Yeah, I know, it's just this is still one of the first search results somehow. The Wasteland Wiki is where I got my info

Binary-Blues16
Novice

Post by Binary-Blues16 » June 27th, 2016, 9:12 pm

I'm looking at her inventory before I go to California. Ethil has the Mobile Infrantry Armor, Ion Blaster, The Street Cleaner, the Lariat, the face-ripper, and the Shu-Model Ranger Combat Knife among other stuff. These are probably all better than what I've seen in Arizona so far except the knives she's trying to pawn off on me.

Edit: Wait, nevermind the Lariat sucks.